5.0 out of 5 stars Classic
Ordered the iPod Classic from Amazon and received it within 3 days (after cancelling my order for the same product for hmv.com because they were messing me about and couldn't get it!!...rant over, I'll carry on with the review).

Published on 4 July 2010 by C. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars What's happened to the volume?
New Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black

Published on 15 Dec. 2009 by RobH

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 4 July 2010
C. Davis "Carl" (Burton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black - 6th Generation (Electronics)

I can't fault the product, memory is huge, am still in the process of transferring all of my CDs onto the ipod. be aware that you only get around 148GB of useable space due to the formatting etc. on the device, but that is still a huge capacity. I think these are much better value for money in terms of memory than the iPod Touch.

I have had no problems with the volume; goes more than loud enough for me, with great sound quality. I have loaded one short video onto the ipod and it plays very clearly with great picture and sound quality.

iTunes is really easy to use (even if it is often cheaper to buy an album on CD rather than download it!), but it has a great range of features, allowing you to rip your CD's, add album artwork, lyrics, videos, movies, contacts etc.

Ipod also comes with 3 games; a quiz game (including a quiz based on the music you have put on your ipod), Klondike and another game involving bounicing a ball. All are quite entertaining, and I assume you can download additional games from iTunes if you want.

Also comes with an adaptor for a docking station. Whilst this didn't fit in my docking station, I had some adaptors that came with the docking station and the ipod fits in that one perfectly, allowing me to play music out loud as well as through headphones.

Can't fault this product-if you need memory get the iPod Classic. If you want a touch screen and ability to browse the web etc, you'd be better off with the iPod touch, but at the cost of much smaller memory!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A latecomer to the party, 10 Nov. 2009
Amazon Customer "Boo62" (Ilkeston Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Many reviewers are a bit miffed that Apple have played around somewhat with the classic's capacity but I have bought one only having owned an 8 gig Nano. I wanted the extra space for films & audiobooks and although I really like the iPod Touch it just doesn't have enough space. I want something I can load up with all my favourite tunes, programmes & films + a load of audiobooks to take on holiday. This does the job really well. The capacity is very good and means I dont have to keep swapping items around or decide what I want to take. The screen cannot compete with the touch but it is way bigger than the nano & works well enough although I use a dock to put it through the telly on holiday. The picture is far better than I expected and the sound clear. Everyone knows how well i-Tunes works and the addition of genius, while not vital, is a nice touch. So heres a list of pro's & con's.
For: That huge memory capacity, I got the black finish & it looks lovely,(you can get a personal message inscribed for free but you have to order through Apple for that), rapid response, intuitive controls & layout, a doddle to load, substantial feel/build especially compared to the nano & other makes, lots of accessories, great fun & capable of storing hours of entertainment for when you're away from home.
Against: Can be a little noisy, Films are battery hungry, iTunes charge an arm & a leg for just about everything,(yeah I know that's a bit random but I thought I'd have a whinge anyway), if you don't need the memory save up your shekels & get an iPod Touch, Fairly heavy, dump the headphones coz they're tat & buy some Sennheisers instead.
All in all I love this item & recommend it totally. Have fun!

3.0 out of 5 stars What's happened to the volume?, 15 Dec. 2009
RobH "kaiga99" (Borders, Scotland) - See all my reviews
New Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black

I bought one of these, the latest 8th gen model, despite warnings from other reviewers on Amazon that it now had a cap on volume, which I really didn't want; yes, I know, I had to hear it for myself. It's true, the maximum volume has been reduced by about 30%. This is a problem when listening to quiet music such as classical and acoustic folk in noisy places such as buses, trains and my local gym where I failed to drown out the disco. I have found that many older albums, eg from the 60s such as Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell albums, have been recorded to CD at a low volume level, and similarly, the maximum volume level attainable from this new iPod is not enough for these. I don't mean ear-shattering volume and 100% of the time, but a proper volume control should allow for all possibilities. There are three ways to up the volume on this model: the volume control, a volume limiter in "settings" on the root menu, and in the iTunes software (although this merely adjusts all songs in your library to the same average level, it doesn't boost volume to any significant degree). Even with all of these up to the max you would have a problem with quiet music in noisy environments.

This is a real shame, I bought one on the basis of hearing the volume and quality from my son's iPod nano, but this just doesn't have the same power. It is, 'though, a beautifully made and feature-packed player, simple to use. If volume isn't an issue for you, then great, no reservations, but if it is, I recommend hearing one if you can, before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Increase your sound !!!, 2 Mar. 2010
This is for all those people who are having volume issues with this iPod, I did notice that when I bought this iPod it was easily quieter than my wifes previous 60gb she had purchased a few years previous. I looked up how to increase the volume in addition to just changing the volume setting on the iPod itself. Here is a real quick and easy way. This is how to do it on a Mac but on a PC I guess it's just a drop down box from the top. If you highlight your entire music library on iTunes and select "get info" (command & I on a mac) you get a pop up box with all the info including artwork etc. Click the options tab and select volume adjustment then move the bar accross to the right to 100%. then hit ok and depending on the size of you library to the time it takes to update, I have around 30gb and it took a couple of minutes. Then just sync your iPod and the volume has increased I would say by 20% or so. If you add to your library you will have to select that song/album and repeat the process but I go in once a month and select all and it updates any new ones in seconds. Hope this helps and if anyone does this on a PC maybe you could post the keystrokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Classic, 11 Sept. 2012
*Skip to the end for pro/con points*

I bought the new 160GB classic after my 30GB sustained water damage and couldn't be fixed. The main reason for choosing the classic over the other iPod's available is for the huge memory capacity - 160GB will hold everything, and that's exactly what I wanted, no more having to select songs or missing some out. It also means you always have something for everyone, because you can take your whole iTunes library with you. Alot of people don't think it is possible to fill, however my iTunes currently stands at 46GB on music alone so I'm getting there.

The aesthetics of the Classic are great - sleek design and the polished metal casing (however if you want to keep it perfect I suggest you buy a cover, as it scrapes very easily producing a 'worn' look)
The screen is a good size and the colour runs true on it aswell. Unless you really need a bigger screen, then the classic does the job perfectly. If you want to watch films, I suppose it does an ok job, but even the touch is small for a good film experience, I would think you would need an iPad or similar to watch a film without ending up with squinting, square eyes!

Battery life is also good on the classic, although when left on accidentally,the battery does drain pretty fast. I'm not sure I believe Apple's claim on the long lasting battery life (36 hours)

This is just a short review, but personally, I find the classic to be the best value-for-money iPod on the market. For £175 and free delivery, your getting a high quality product, with the best storage capacity within their range and it still looks good. Having previously owned a nano and another non-apple mp3, I think that when the day ever does come for my current classic to be replaced, I'll just buy another one. That's how much I like it. Although the touch does have the internet capability and admittedly does seem more fun, I only wanted it for music, so I chose memory over features...my phone and laptop can do the rest!

It also as some games included, which I have played once and to be honest, I don't really like them except for the music quiz as the click-wheel isn't the easiest to use game controller!

As for colour preference, I had trouble deciding, and chose the black. It is a matter of preference, but I thought it would conceal any marks and does look slightly more sophisticated in my opinion!

-PROS-
Great value for money
High memory
Sleek design
Simple/Easy to use

-CONS-
Not as many features as other products
Metal backing tarnishes easily
Not totally convinced by the 36 hour battery life

5.0 out of 5 stars My First iPod / MP3, 9 Nov. 2009
C. Redwood - See all my reviews
This is my first iPod or indeed MP3. I decided to buy it because I was fed up with lugging a load of Minidiscs around with me. In just about every respect I am pleased with the iPod Classic. If find i-tunes easy to use on my PC (Windows XP with Service Pack 3), although I am finding I am filling my computer hard drive quite fast. So far I have only used the iPod for storing music, and the 160GB on the iPod Classic is proving to be more than ample for my needs. So far I have 6.9 Days(i.e. almost one week of continuous music) recorded, which is taking 18.05GB of space. The synchronising with i-tunes is easy. Battery life has not been a problem. So far I have only charged the battery with supplied lead from the USB socket on my PC. Note that whilst mains chargers are available, they optional extras.

My musical taste is almost exclusively classical music of just about every sort from Monteverdi to Mahler. The sound quality at the default settings I find very good. Many people have commented on the maximum volume level. My view is that for private listening at home, the volume is more than adequate using the supplied headphones. When listening on the bus going to work, the maximum volume obtainable is too little for quiet passages, but just about adequate for louder passages. In my view the maximum volume is inadequate for listening on a normal commercial plane.

When importing CDs into the iTunes on my PC, I found that the accuracy of some of the information about the pieces is rather variable, and not available for some CDs (even some from 'mainstream' labels). The same comment also applies to the optional album cover images - some are completely wrong. I prefer to edit the composer name to put the composer's surname at the start of the field (e.g. Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus instead of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart) to make it easier to find pieces by composer. However these are really comments about the accuracy of data available rather than the iPod itself.

The ability to find music by composer and other searching on iPod I have found to be really good.

I also bought the leather flap-up case (not Apple) from Amazon. Whilst this is excellent in terms of easy of use and the protection it provides, I do think that the 'build' quality of the case is rather disappointing in comparison with the iPod itself.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. With the benefit of hindsight, I am not sure I needed 160GB of storage (but I am not complaining) and the maximum volume limitations are a little annoying when travelling. Otherwise highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 18 Feb. 2012
Having 80GB of films in my iTunes library, but yet only having a puny 8GB iPod Nano, it was clear to me that I wanted a replacement iPod.

The Nano and Shuffle were immediately ruled out, since they can't play videos and have a low capacity. I was therefore left with two choices; the Classic or the Touch?
Since a 32GB Touch is more expensive than the 160GB Classic, I figured it was much better value to buy the Classic.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love the iPod Touch. The screen is amazing, as are the apps and the internet access. But having just bought an Apple Mac Mini, and also owning an Android phone which I can use for internet when I'm out, it seemed a little bit unnecessary to purchase yet another device to browse the internet on. I have also always adored the iPod's Click Wheel, which is now absent from all iPods except this one, and found the Touch's screen a bit poxy while changing songs.

I then decided to read some of the negative reviews on here. I have noticed various users mention the hard drive failure. I was then tempted slightly towards the Touch. I have spoken to three of my friends, Two of which have the 2007 80GB Classic, and the other even has an old 30GB video. I mentioned to them about these reviews, and all of which had no issues regarding the hard drive. My father even has this exact model, and again no issues. So I decided to take the plunge. I was amazed as soon as I got it.

Overall, I would recommend this iPod to anyone with a large Music/Video collection, who already has a way to browse the internet on.

I also noticed negative reviews regarding the low volume. There is a quick and easy way to overcome this; go into your iTunes library, Select all songs ( Cmd + A for mac, or Ctrl + A for Windows), right click and select "Get Info" go into the options tab, and then adjust the volume to maximum.

5.0 out of 5 stars About Itunes, 24 April 2010
Ok, I know a lot of people will be put off because of the poor reviews of itunes. But really, once you get used to it, it is really not that bad.
It can be slightly slow at times, but it completly depends on how much stuff you have loaded up on it. I have around 50Gb of music, films and tv programmes and it is still reasonably quick, no slower than windows media player, anyway.
You can find some quite good deals on music, films and tv programmes on itunes. Though admittedly it is is mostly films and tv programmes that you can get very cheap. The quality is not stunning if you play on your computer, but on my ipod classic, it is fantastic.
Lastly, when I first downloaded itunes, hardly any of my cds had album artwork. But now, a fair amount do. Each time you try to get some artwork (you just need to left- click on your album) and they don't have it, it sends the information off to apple who then will try and get the artwork for you.
Of course, before you buy this ipod I would suggest you download itunes for free (just type in itunes into the search engine). Then you can see what it is like for yourselfs.
Thanks for reading.

P.S. The ipod is very nice. It is sleek and trendy, plus holds a LOT of stuff on it. I do achually prefer this over the ipod touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough little bugger., 20 May 2011
I bought an iPod classic to use in my car, just to save my iPhone getting thrown about the car and being fought over on long journeys... Very impressed.
The 160GB is more than enough for me, I have about 3 series of TV shows on it, and at least 6 films, on top of that just under 3000 songs. The iPod hasn't struggled a bit! Perfect for carrying everything on your computer with you. Or in my case, MORE than everything on my computer.

It's a durable little thing too. It's been dropped, thrown, stood on, bitten... you get the idea. It's basically managed to put up with the stresses and strains of my car since the day I got it. Even when my younger brothers and sisters took a liking to it, it managed to stand up to them.

I have absolutely NO complaints with this thing, and I would recommend it to anyone. Be it someone who needs something for the sturdiness of it or a tech-head that loves their gadgets. It's perfect for everyone! 5 star. I would give it 6 if I could.

1.0 out of 5 stars Major issue with these ipods, 28 Feb. 2012
I have had my 160GB ipod classic for 13 months and it has just registered a fault saying it is corrupt. There is no reason for this as far as I know (i.e. I never disconnect without ejecting first etc). I followed all Apple's troubleshooting advice and researched on lots of forums to find out how it can be fixed as it has functioned perfectly until now. I have tried everything to get this fixed but nothing works and have been told it is cheaper to buy a new ipod than to get it repaired. This is a common known fault with Apple, apparently linked to the latest version of itunes (though reinstalling an older version does not help) and thousands upon thousands of people are suffering the same thing but Apple has no other solution other than 'buy another ipod'. Funny that most of the people I saw posting about this found that this error came up when the ipod was just out of warranty.....

Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black - 6th Generation