4.0 out of 5 stars Apart from the size, minor improvements
I bought this to replace my 5 year old 60GB black 5th generation iPod as it was full up. At the time 60GB was big enough as I was ripping at 128kbps but since then iTunes Plus has doubled the quality rate (and the size required) plus I'm also using my iTunes library for streaming around the house and the extra quality is noticeable.

160GB should be enough to...
Published on 31 Dec 2009 by Vinman666

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment
This was my fourth ipod and I wanted one with a bigger capacity, my 5G (80gb) ipod video finally having expired but I've returned it after just 3 days.

Published on 8 April 2010 by LV LV

4.0 out of 5 stars Apart from the size, minor improvements, 31 Dec 2009
Vinman666 (Essex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160GB - Silver - 6th Generation (Electronics)

160GB should be enough to keep me going for a few more years. This generation iPod is a little over half of the thickness of my previous 'pod. Other small improvements are Genius mixes and a slightly better screen with the 'cover flow' function scrolling random album covers across the screen. Finally the screen is now split with the menu on the left and graphics on the right.

Unless you need the greater capacity of the 160GB drive, I would say there is no compelling reason to upgrade. For new buyers, if you have a lot of music and want it all with you wherever you go this is the best option. Less music and the Nano or Touch may suit you better.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Take On The Volume Comments, 19 July 2010
I had previously had the 80GB Classic iPod, but had filled it with music, so was looking for something larger. However, I was put off by all the comments about the lack of volume. And I know a bit about volume, as I have seen The Who, Deep Purple and Motörhead, all holders of the 'loudest band' record in their time! Having looked around and found very little with a similar capacity (and nothing in a similar price range), I decided to take a chance - I mostly use the iPod in the car, through the cars stereo, so reasoned I could just crank that volume up to compensate.

Well, I don't know what the comments on volume (or lack of it) have been made in comparison to - but I can detect no difference between this and my old iPod (or indeed a Nano). OK, through the headphones it is not quite as loud as the bass bins at Motörhead, but still loud enough for me.

On other matters, the screen is certainly clearer than the previous 80GB one, for both text (song titles) and video. The only problem that I have, which is just the same as the previous iPod, is that when I drag and drop all my music into it somewhere in the process some of the song titles (within an album) get mixed up - the album will play in the correct order, but some of the song titles shown will be wrong. Not a major problem (but would be good if anyone knows a fix - and please don't say load the songs one at a time, I have WAY too many for that option!!) as it does not detract from the listening.

So, overall, I would thoroughly recommend this product as a portable music device. If, however, you want neighbour annoying volumes I suggest that you buy some hifi separates .......

5.0 out of 5 stars great product. (better than cowon x7), 4 May 2011
I don't see why people have complained about this not being loud enough - it is. I originally bought the cowon x7 but it kept skipping tracks, would freeze and need to be reset and the scroll was so sensitive I don't know how anyone can get it to work. The cowon x7 is often said to be the only other serious contender in the alternatives to the ipod at this level of capacity but I am convinced the ipod is much better (and cheaper).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ipod, 5 July 2013
Love this ipod, with all the new innovative ones that come along this is still the one for me, huge space for movies and songs, great touch sensitive pad and I know they last for years

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 8 April 2010
LV LV (Nottingham) - See all my reviews

The reason ? the sound and the volume. As I say, I am an experienced ipod user and have been a big fan of previous versions. I was also aware of the EU volume cap and have a higher specification set of headphones which have definitely helped with other ipod versions to provide a louder sound.

But the ipod classic is much, much too quiet even with the sound full up. I also have an iphone which has an ipod on it and the difference in volume and quality is enormous. I also found the sound quality to be much flatter and tinnier than previous ipods. Yes, the classic has a big memory and has lots of new features but at the end of the day you want a ipod that which plays your music to a good quality and at a reasonable volume (especially if you use it on the tube/ near traffic etc). So I'd suggest people either choose a different version or buy one from outside of the European Union.

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Freezing when syncing with iTunes 9, 13 Dec 2009
Ok i recieved my ipod classic 160Gb a few days back. Great product (honestly this isn't sarcastic) but if you intend to have it regularly synced with your PC or Mac WATCH OUT as it constantly hangs. Do a google search on 160gb Classic ipod freezes. One such freeze caused the ipod itself to malfunction requiring a hard reset. Well the ipod is now now full and sitting wrapped under the christmas tree, i guess time will tell if it's a dud. Also the drive spin up and read sounds awful...i have hardrives over 10yrs old that make less noise....so god knows how long before BAD SECTORS and eventual loss of all data ? Oh and to top it 160Gb ERRR NO 148Gb ... iknow were all used to losing some hardrive space due to OS and formating BUT 12Gb windows XP takes up less space and she's no skinny bird !

1.0 out of 5 stars They don't work, 24 Dec 2011
C. HANNIGAN (Reigate, UK) - See all my reviews
I have no idea why Amazon keep selling these. They must know that there is a fundamental problem with the 160Gb version. They are simply too fragile and as soon as you get towards filling them up they fall over. I recently sent back 3 different machines before giving up and settling for a refund.
Amazon were fully responsive as usual and never flinched from their responsibilities but surely it is time to recognise that there is a problem here and until Apple sort it out stop flogging these to unsuspecting buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what is says on the tin., 27 Nov 2011
Simple and elegant, the classic does one thing and one thing very well; play your music.

If you don't want apps and the headaches that come with keeping everything up to date, or you already have a smart phone but it doesn't have enough memory for all your music, get this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't stand the test of time, 15 July 2010
I bought this iPod having owned 2 iPod nano 4Gs previously (one 8GB and one 16GB, both blue)They had lasted me very well but they didn't really have enough space for me (at the time I thaught 8GBs was more than I'd ever need, I stepped up to 16GBs then...). I went with the iPod Classic going on the thaught that it would be the same but a bit bigger, a bit better and able to hold every single file on my PC (let alone audio file) and for the most part, it delivered what it promised. The audio playback sounds just as good as my old nanos, although I think I remember it sounding a bit better on them but that could well be my headphones degrading. Video playback is nice and sharp and more watchable on the bigger screen and the device itself feels like it could withstand being dropped out of a 12th floor window in an office building, I'm not going to put that to the test but.. moving on.

With all the good things I've said about this just now, it doesn't come without a price. Compared to my previous iPod nanos, this model is quite buggy and slow from time to time. This could be given with how the device reads from the hard drive or the processor in it not being up to the job, here's a couple of recurring scenarios and annoying little issues:

when browsing through the menus, it occasionally freezes and stops responding momentarily while catching up with itself, this happens if you're browsing quite quickly: e.g. say I want to find the album Supercell, I quickly move the selector down to "S" in my album list, it's bound to hit some slowdown along the way.

album art is loaded quite slowly (anywhere between 3 and 20 seconds on the now playing screen, until then you're just looking the music note "no album art" graphic, this also applies to Coverflow and the album list

in addition to the above issue, Coverflow is quite jerky, looks a bit blocky and is just a nightmare if you actually want to try and find anything with it, especially if you have anywhere near enough music to quarter-fill the device.

The big thing that gets to me which I find very difficult to overlook is the fact that album and artist info doesn't scroll or have any moving effect so you can read all of the information if it's more than 17 letters or spaces. This means that long artist and album names get cut off. A little workaround I found is to hold the center button to add it to the "on the go" playlist, then go into your playlists and find the song which should have the artist listed below the title with a higher character limit, but this is quite long-winded, inconvenient and not a lot of help if it's an anime song with 5 or 6 different people labelled in the artist.

update: 1 year since writing this review, deducted 2 stars because the hard drive in mine failed after attempting to restore it, Apple's website was no help at all (doesn't go into disk mode or anything) and there's no doubt that I'll be told to go "F" myself by Apple when I go to get it repaired. Would be fine if this was at least 5 or 6 years later when the insides are meant to start rusting and it's taken months of abuse but not if I've been taking care of it. Clealy not built to last.

conclusion: it's alright while it lasts if you can overlook some small flaws but it's clearly not built to last.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent purchase, 22 May 2014
I bought this for my husband to replace one thar gave up the ghost after 2 years. He cannot live without an ipod, he loves it. Fantastic price, value, service and delivery. Amazon, how do you do it?