4.0 out of 5 stars Apart from the size, minor improvements
I bought this to replace my 5 year old 60GB black 5th generation iPod as it was full up. At the time 60GB was big enough as I was ripping at 128kbps but since then iTunes Plus has doubled the quality rate (and the size required) plus I'm also using my iTunes library for streaming around the house and the extra quality is noticeable.

160GB should be enough to...
Published on 31 Dec 2009 by Vinman666

2.0 out of 5 stars Money, money, money... It's a rich man's world
Published 19 days ago by Graeme

4.0 out of 5 stars Apart from the size, minor improvements, 31 Dec 2009
Vinman666 (Essex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160GB - Silver - 6th Generation (Electronics)

160GB should be enough to keep me going for a few more years. This generation iPod is a little over half of the thickness of my previous 'pod. Other small improvements are Genius mixes and a slightly better screen with the 'cover flow' function scrolling random album covers across the screen. Finally the screen is now split with the menu on the left and graphics on the right.

Unless you need the greater capacity of the 160GB drive, I would say there is no compelling reason to upgrade. For new buyers, if you have a lot of music and want it all with you wherever you go this is the best option. Less music and the Nano or Touch may suit you better.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Take On The Volume Comments, 19 July 2010
I had previously had the 80GB Classic iPod, but had filled it with music, so was looking for something larger. However, I was put off by all the comments about the lack of volume. And I know a bit about volume, as I have seen The Who, Deep Purple and Motörhead, all holders of the 'loudest band' record in their time! Having looked around and found very little with a similar capacity (and nothing in a similar price range), I decided to take a chance - I mostly use the iPod in the car, through the cars stereo, so reasoned I could just crank that volume up to compensate.

Well, I don't know what the comments on volume (or lack of it) have been made in comparison to - but I can detect no difference between this and my old iPod (or indeed a Nano). OK, through the headphones it is not quite as loud as the bass bins at Motörhead, but still loud enough for me.

On other matters, the screen is certainly clearer than the previous 80GB one, for both text (song titles) and video. The only problem that I have, which is just the same as the previous iPod, is that when I drag and drop all my music into it somewhere in the process some of the song titles (within an album) get mixed up - the album will play in the correct order, but some of the song titles shown will be wrong. Not a major problem (but would be good if anyone knows a fix - and please don't say load the songs one at a time, I have WAY too many for that option!!) as it does not detract from the listening.

So, overall, I would thoroughly recommend this product as a portable music device. If, however, you want neighbour annoying volumes I suggest that you buy some hifi separates .......

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ipod, 5 July 2013
Love this ipod, with all the new innovative ones that come along this is still the one for me, huge space for movies and songs, great touch sensitive pad and I know they last for years

2.0 out of 5 stars Money, money, money... It's a rich man's world, 3 Dec 2014
I bought this as a replacement for my partner's old iPod classic, which she lost whilst on holiday! Being a sixth generation model, I was hoping things would have improved. Essentially, the iPod is exactly the same as previous models - there's certainly no discernible differences between this and the 5th generation model. The tremendous storage option is (currently) way ahead of all other makes and models, which forces buyers to go with Apple if they want more than the standard mp3 player 64GB of storage.

Unfortunately, after a mere couple of months, the internal hard drive has knackered. It randomly stopped playing an audiobook last night after a frantic whirring and clunking session, and now displays the red "X" screen of death. Research on the internet suggests other people have had similar problems after dropping their iPods, but my partner has looked after this as though it were a baby. It's been given a cosy, protective case and has never been dropped, mishandled or exposed to the elements - the failure has been entirely technical and mechanical. An attempt at restoring it through iTunes failed, as iTunes simply refused to restore it, with no explanation whatsoever! Computer says no, quite literally.

Paying £166.99 for the iPod wasn't cheap, and despite the fact it *should* be covered under a manufacturer's warranty, we're now engaging in a battle with Apple, who (apparently) aren't going to be happy about fixing it. Before you can use the Apple technical support options, their website asks for your product serial number. The system responded "unfortunately you don't appear to be entitled to complimentary support" - this is DESPITE the iPod being only 6 months old and being purchased brand-spanking new, directly from Amazon - NOT a third party reseller! Apple claim the purchase date of our iPod doesn't match their records... I don't quite know how, as it arrived in an unopened, sealed box. My partner *did* have an option to correct the purchase date, but this involved a round-the-houses approach before uploading a screen capture of the Amazon receipt, and we now have to wait 2 days for someone to verify this before proceeding. The suggestion we are somehow liars, after giving Apple our hard-earned money, is ludicrous and insulting.

Ultimately, Apple have turned into a soulless, greedy company and this is apparent from the latest onslaught of floppy, featureless iPhone models, each with varying new, "essential" features that the previous phone models don't incorporate, and each newer model seemingly being made of flimsier material than it's predecessors. They've taken a distinctly "money-money-money" approach to their products, and they seem to expect consumers to simply drop another few hundred pounds on another product when the previous one stops working. Sorry Apple, you're going to have a fight on your hands with this one.

As the iPod Classic has now been discontinued and prices have sky-rocketed to over £280, I'd steer clear of buying one of the newer models, as this (and other reviews, if you look around) suggest they certainly aren't made to last. If you drive a brand new company BMW, own your own house and have the money to risk - go right ahead. But if you're a sensible and coy consumer, I'd probably make do with something else until Sony or another company step up to fill the void left by this once-mighty beast.

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 8 April 2010
LV LV (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This was my fourth ipod and I wanted one with a bigger capacity, my 5G (80gb) ipod video finally having expired but I've returned it after just 3 days.

The reason ? the sound and the volume. As I say, I am an experienced ipod user and have been a big fan of previous versions. I was also aware of the EU volume cap and have a higher specification set of headphones which have definitely helped with other ipod versions to provide a louder sound.

But the ipod classic is much, much too quiet even with the sound full up. I also have an iphone which has an ipod on it and the difference in volume and quality is enormous. I also found the sound quality to be much flatter and tinnier than previous ipods. Yes, the classic has a big memory and has lots of new features but at the end of the day you want a ipod that which plays your music to a good quality and at a reasonable volume (especially if you use it on the tube/ near traffic etc). So I'd suggest people either choose a different version or buy one from outside of the European Union.

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Freezing when syncing with iTunes 9, 13 Dec 2009
Ok i recieved my ipod classic 160Gb a few days back. Great product (honestly this isn't sarcastic) but if you intend to have it regularly synced with your PC or Mac WATCH OUT as it constantly hangs. Do a google search on 160gb Classic ipod freezes. One such freeze caused the ipod itself to malfunction requiring a hard reset. Well the ipod is now now full and sitting wrapped under the christmas tree, i guess time will tell if it's a dud. Also the drive spin up and read sounds awful...i have hardrives over 10yrs old that make less noise....so god knows how long before BAD SECTORS and eventual loss of all data ? Oh and to top it 160Gb ERRR NO 148Gb ... iknow were all used to losing some hardrive space due to OS and formating BUT 12Gb windows XP takes up less space and she's no skinny bird !

1.0 out of 5 stars They don't work, 24 Dec 2011
C. HANNIGAN (Reigate, UK) - See all my reviews
I have no idea why Amazon keep selling these. They must know that there is a fundamental problem with the 160Gb version. They are simply too fragile and as soon as you get towards filling them up they fall over. I recently sent back 3 different machines before giving up and settling for a refund.
Amazon were fully responsive as usual and never flinched from their responsibilities but surely it is time to recognise that there is a problem here and until Apple sort it out stop flogging these to unsuspecting buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what is says on the tin., 27 Nov 2011
Simple and elegant, the classic does one thing and one thing very well; play your music.

If you don't want apps and the headaches that come with keeping everything up to date, or you already have a smart phone but it doesn't have enough memory for all your music, get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product. (better than cowon x7), 4 May 2011
I don't see why people have complained about this not being loud enough - it is. I originally bought the cowon x7 but it kept skipping tracks, would freeze and need to be reset and the scroll was so sensitive I don't know how anyone can get it to work. The cowon x7 is often said to be the only other serious contender in the alternatives to the ipod at this level of capacity but I am convinced the ipod is much better (and cheaper).

5.0 out of 5 stars classic, 13 Dec 2009
I recently bought this for my 12 year old daughter. She specifically wanted the classic as the screen is a much better size for the videos.She doesn't go anywhere without it now.
The controls are easy and she went fot the larger 160gb as better value for money and she wanted to put a lot of music and films on it.
She does always keep it in a case which makes it a little bulky but she wouldn't be without it.

Apple iPod classic 160GB - Silver - 6th Generation