4.0 out of 5 stars Apart from the size, minor improvements
I bought this to replace my 5 year old 60GB black 5th generation iPod as it was full up. At the time 60GB was big enough as I was ripping at 128kbps but since then iTunes Plus has doubled the quality rate (and the size required) plus I'm also using my iTunes library for streaming around the house and the extra quality is noticeable.

160GB should be enough to...
Published on 31 Dec. 2009 by Vinman666

2.0 out of 5 stars Money, money, money... It's a rich man's world
Published 5 months ago by Graeme

4.0 out of 5 stars Apart from the size, minor improvements, 31 Dec. 2009
Vinman666 (Essex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160GB - Silver - 6th Generation (Electronics)

160GB should be enough to keep me going for a few more years. This generation iPod is a little over half of the thickness of my previous 'pod. Other small improvements are Genius mixes and a slightly better screen with the 'cover flow' function scrolling random album covers across the screen. Finally the screen is now split with the menu on the left and graphics on the right.

Unless you need the greater capacity of the 160GB drive, I would say there is no compelling reason to upgrade. For new buyers, if you have a lot of music and want it all with you wherever you go this is the best option. Less music and the Nano or Touch may suit you better.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Take On The Volume Comments, 19 July 2010
I had previously had the 80GB Classic iPod, but had filled it with music, so was looking for something larger. However, I was put off by all the comments about the lack of volume. And I know a bit about volume, as I have seen The Who, Deep Purple and Motörhead, all holders of the 'loudest band' record in their time! Having looked around and found very little with a similar capacity (and nothing in a similar price range), I decided to take a chance - I mostly use the iPod in the car, through the cars stereo, so reasoned I could just crank that volume up to compensate.

Well, I don't know what the comments on volume (or lack of it) have been made in comparison to - but I can detect no difference between this and my old iPod (or indeed a Nano). OK, through the headphones it is not quite as loud as the bass bins at Motörhead, but still loud enough for me.

On other matters, the screen is certainly clearer than the previous 80GB one, for both text (song titles) and video. The only problem that I have, which is just the same as the previous iPod, is that when I drag and drop all my music into it somewhere in the process some of the song titles (within an album) get mixed up - the album will play in the correct order, but some of the song titles shown will be wrong. Not a major problem (but would be good if anyone knows a fix - and please don't say load the songs one at a time, I have WAY too many for that option!!) as it does not detract from the listening.

So, overall, I would thoroughly recommend this product as a portable music device. If, however, you want neighbour annoying volumes I suggest that you buy some hifi separates .......

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ipod, 5 July 2013
Love this ipod, with all the new innovative ones that come along this is still the one for me, huge space for movies and songs, great touch sensitive pad and I know they last for years

2.0 out of 5 stars Money, money, money... It's a rich man's world, 3 Dec. 2014
I bought this as a replacement for my partner's old iPod classic, which she lost whilst on holiday! Being a sixth generation model, I was hoping things would have improved. Essentially, the iPod is exactly the same as previous models - there's certainly no discernible differences between this and the 5th generation model. The tremendous storage option is (currently) way ahead of all other makes and models, which forces buyers to go with Apple if they want more than the standard mp3 player 64GB of storage.

Unfortunately, after a mere couple of months, the internal hard drive has knackered. It randomly stopped playing an audiobook last night after a frantic whirring and clunking session, and now displays the red "X" screen of death. Research on the internet suggests other people have had similar problems after dropping their iPods, but my partner has looked after this as though it were a baby. It's been given a cosy, protective case and has never been dropped, mishandled or exposed to the elements - the failure has been entirely technical and mechanical. An attempt at restoring it through iTunes failed, as iTunes simply refused to restore it, with no explanation whatsoever! Computer says no, quite literally.

Paying £166.99 for the iPod wasn't cheap, and despite the fact it *should* be covered under a manufacturer's warranty, we're now engaging in a battle with Apple, who (apparently) aren't going to be happy about fixing it. Before you can use the Apple technical support options, their website asks for your product serial number. The system responded "unfortunately you don't appear to be entitled to complimentary support" - this is DESPITE the iPod being only 6 months old and being purchased brand-spanking new, directly from Amazon - NOT a third party reseller! Apple claim the purchase date of our iPod doesn't match their records... I don't quite know how, as it arrived in an unopened, sealed box. My partner *did* have an option to correct the purchase date, but this involved a round-the-houses approach before uploading a screen capture of the Amazon receipt, and we now have to wait 2 days for someone to verify this before proceeding. The suggestion we are somehow liars, after giving Apple our hard-earned money, is ludicrous and insulting.

Ultimately, Apple have turned into a soulless, greedy company and this is apparent from the latest onslaught of floppy, featureless iPhone models, each with varying new, "essential" features that the previous phone models don't incorporate, and each newer model seemingly being made of flimsier material than it's predecessors. They've taken a distinctly "money-money-money" approach to their products, and they seem to expect consumers to simply drop another few hundred pounds on another product when the previous one stops working. Sorry Apple, you're going to have a fight on your hands with this one.

As the iPod Classic has now been discontinued and prices have sky-rocketed to over £280, I'd steer clear of buying one of the newer models, as this (and other reviews, if you look around) suggest they certainly aren't made to last. If you drive a brand new company BMW, own your own house and have the money to risk - go right ahead. But if you're a sensible and coy consumer, I'd probably make do with something else until Sony or another company step up to fill the void left by this once-mighty beast.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best MP3 player I have owned - the sound quality is stunning, 4 Oct. 2011
L. Hubbard (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Having had several MP3 players in the past from the past ranging from Phillips to Creative, I decided to upgrade to the latest I-Pod for the appeal of the large storage size since my last 60 gb player was starting to run out of space. The 160gb model seemed like a natural choice to go for, and I am so glad I did.

I use I-Tunes for my music library, and the first thing of note is the simplicity and ease of use when you first get the I-Pod out of the box. You literally just plug it in to your computer, and I-Tunes automatically synchronizes the tracks and puts them on to the I-Pod. The charge time is quick, around four hours for a complete charge, and the duration of the battery life is fantastic. I didn't quite manage the 36 hours of battery life that it is claimed to have before a recharge is required - I managed just over 32 hours and was perfectly happy with that

The main thing, and perhaps the most surprising thing about the I-Pod that I love is the exceptionally crisp sound quality, and it is noticeably better in comparison to previous MP3 players I have owned in the past, even when headphones have been kept constant. I know that the I-Pod has been a market leader for some time and now I can hear why.

There have been several claims that he volume setting on the I-Pod is too low - something that I didn't notice at all. I listen to a lot of film scores/classical music which is often recorded at lower levels in comparison to other types of music meaning that the volume should need to be higher to be able to hear it properly. I found on the highest volume setting I was wanting to turn the volume down, and so I would imagine in other genres of music that the max volume level would be more than sufficient for a great listening experience.

Of course, it can also be used for photos, videos and a limited number of games, all of which look great and play well, although I was less bothered about these functions.

Overall, I wish I had upgraded to the 6th gen classic I-Pod sooner. Whilst I originally upgraded because of the additional storage space, the increase in sound quality was a really pleasant surprise. There have been issues regarding volume limits on the I-Pod, but I found that playing music at the loudest volume setting was more than I needed. The quick recharge time and ease of synchronization with the music on my computer is a bonus, and having owned several MP3 players before this, I can easily say this I-Pod Classic the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars This One Is For The Wife, 20 Sept. 2010
I bought my wife one of the early 40GB iPods which she was slow to take to her heart and use regularly, then she discovered the joy of having everything to hand and not having to carry CDs cases in the car.

The one downside was it meant she was then unhappy at me using hers so I had to buy my own. Being a bloke that meant I had to have the biggest available and so a 160GB classic became my best friend, packed with all our CDs, digital photos and endless audio books and podcasts.

Inevitably, my good lady was a bit envious of the colour screen and other features so it was only a matter of time (another three years in fact) before her original iPod broke* and she needed a new one like mine. I get so much enjoyment from mine I was only to happy to buy her one. Her 40GB was white - still looks and feels great - but for some odd reason Apple don't do white any more so it had to be silver instead.

It works a treat and the real advantage is we can both have everything from our library on it (her old one had to be restricted to mostly audiobooks and a few music choices).

Yes, it's mad to have two such gizmos when we used to be quite happy to have one record player (we're middel0aged) but I can honestly say the iPod has made me enjoy more music, radio ( via podcasts) and books than ever before and I would not think to get in the car without it.

*Her old 40GB classic isn't really broken, she just needed an excuse to get a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy With Confidence, 21 Dec. 2011
I wanted an ipod Classic because a) I'm a Mac user and b) I wanted to rip 100 plus cd's and carry them around. However, being an avid review reader, I very nearly didn't buy one because of all the negative reviews re: sound quality. If you are in a similar place stop worrying, it sounds great. The sound is very clean, detailed and natural with none of the reported distortion at the top (and bottom) end. It's also far better than my old (3rd gen) Nano. There are caveats though. 1. I use iTunes on the latest iMac and it works absolutely seamlessly with the Classic. If you use iTunes on a PC your experience may not be as good. 2. I listen to CDs ripped at Apple Lossless bit rate and nothing else. 3. Through a pair of in-ear Sure headphones or mp3 tailored on-ear phones like the Sennheiser PX100s the volume is very loud indeed. However, through a pair of upmarket Sennheisers designed for use with a hi-fi amp the volume is definitely inadequate. This can easily be remedied by a cheap headphone amp though - the FiiO E1 sounds excellent and is as tiny and portable as you want. 4. Don't go anywhere near the wretched EQ settings, you'll only add distortion. So, if what you want is decent sound, portability and capacity, don't hesitate to buy (though there are better deals out there than at Amazon).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 6 Oct. 2012
Read a lot of reviews before buying and noticed that people were worried about the sound level. Naturally I was a bit apprehensive.
But I can't find any fault with the sound of the one that I got - it is clear and crisp and so strong I never turn it to more than a half of volume. I also never had a problem with ipod's compatibility with my computer.
In general very happy with the product. This is my third IPod and the main reason to buy this one was capacity. I ran out of space on my 16Gb nano. The classic 160 is stylish and very solid feeling, nice to handle. The wheel is very pleasant and sensitive.
There is a slight drawback of this model which one can only notice if one used later versions - the screen resolution is not as fine as in the latest nano and of course far from the touch screen, the quality of the picture is just not as good. But I can live with it. Great product. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Ipod, 23 Dec. 2011
After owning a iphone for nearly two and a half years i decided to cash it in for a new ipod classic, which has met my expectations brilliantly. I was initially put off by the many comments about the volume which even at its peak is loud but compared with the volume on the iphone 3gs there is a sizeable difference.

However everything else is brilliant, its very quick to sync something I found difficult with my 3gs, the picture quality is also very good and the overall feel of the device feels very study in your hands. Plus it packs 160 gb worth of space enough to store anything or everything your heart desires.

I would recommend purchasing a case though as the back is very scratch prone and gets very dirty unless cleaned regularly.

Overall though i would thoroughly recommend this product for any music lover as it does that part brilliantly

3.0 out of 5 stars Puzzled. Where is the missing memory?, 2 July 2014
M Hisbent "silkiemh" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
What difference does 12 gb make? This is the product description : "Leave no tune behind
With 160GB of space, iPod classic means you can always have your entire music and movie library with you.2 Carry it from the living room to a party in the backyard. Or take it on a cross-country road trip and never listen to the same song twice." That's why this is now the difference between a 5* and 3* review and the difference between putting all of the tracks I had chosen onto my new machine and having to leave a bunch off. I had expected to lose a bit of memory but on my laptop this iPod is showing 148gb of 148gb free. That means 12gb is being used elsewhere or this product is not 160gb as advertised. I understand the tecchie forum comments about hard drives defining a Gigabyte differently but Apple should say 'this product offers 148 GB of available space for media files'. That would be honest. Onto the machine itself - Delivery was excellent and I am currently transferring tracks from my external hard drive. I had forgotten the laborious transfer process involved with I-tunes (I have a 2Gb i pod too) and it will take a lot of evenings over the next 3 weeks to transfer 40,000 songs as I have never discovered how to drag and drop between a hard drive and an Ipod and have the music work. When I played the first track there was a volume limit (in orange against a blue bar) but I must have touched something as that has now gone. Volume is fine through headphones or an X-mini external speaker - even when playing Damn Yankees tracks. Apart from the missing 12GB and the transfer chore I am a happy bunny.

Apple iPod classic 160GB - Silver - 6th Generation