5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for lovers of this band
This performance can be rightly remembered as Nirvana's high water mark. The set starts in blistering fashion, a typically brutal working over of "Aneurysm," is followed by one of the favourites from Bleach,"School." The set moves along with raucous venom, each track seamlessly dovetailing into the other.
Cobain knew himself that Nirvana would have never reached the...
Published on 5 Nov. 2009 by David Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars For The True Fan Only
Nirvana's legendary gig at the Reading Festival in 1991 blew the musical establishment apart.
Alas, this recording is from 1992 & lacks historical impact.
The sound is also messy. Bass & drums are fine but the guitar is often an over-distorted hiss. I thought of Cobain as a guirtar-soundworld obsessive but here the sound is all too samey. His voice sounds tired...
Published on 22 Nov. 2009 by Mr. Anthony JONES

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for lovers of this band, 5 Nov. 2009
David Johnson "El Burrito" (Buenos Aires) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
Cobain knew himself that Nirvana would have never reached the wider audience they did without Grohl on the drums. His display here is typically staggering, the DVD in particular showing just how well the rhythm section worked. Cobain looks nerdy in his long doctor's coat, shifting around his part of the stage, frequently re-tuning his guitar before and during tracks. The DVD gives an excellent insight as to how Nirvana worked as a band and Cobain as a guitarist. He was clearly obsessed with the instrument and its dynamics - visibly smug that his partners could carry anything that he chose to do along at a blistering pace.
All of the favourites appear on here and it marks an interesting point between Nevermind and In Utero with many of the tracks from Bleach still featuring heavily on the set list. Nirvana fans should teasure this as it shows Cobain still happy and clearly enjoying the music,"this is our last ever show," he jokes, "until the start of our tour in November." - it's much better than the gaunt, depressed image we are left with from the unplugged performance.
For those growing up in the early nineties this fantastic DVD/CD set is likely to serve as than more than just a nostalgic trip down musical memory lane. It's easy to forget than Nirvana were not just a band - they became a social phenomenon. I was left with the impression that I was watching a piece of history going by.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 guys play great music, 2 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
I have actually stopped buying live DVDs these days as I find that the performance is usually ruined by special effects and the ridiculous need of 40,000 cameras showing different angles every .5 of a second.

However, what you get here is, believe it not, a recording of a great band playing great songs. No effects, no stupid camera tricks, just the band playing. Thats all I want in a live DVD as the band and their music is all you, as a viewer and fan, should need. At the end of the day, the crowd dont get different angles and effects and they love it, so why shouldnt we.

This DVD/CD set is fantastic and shows possibly one of the greatest ever Reading performances by any band. If you like Nirvana dont miss it and if you fancy getting into them I recommend getting this to achieve that.

Long live in our hearts and memory a truly great song writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A damp, cold 1992 evening with the most exciting band in the world, 6 Nov. 2009
possessed.by.a.lemon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
I guess this is some kind of Holy Grail to us Brits. If not Nirvana's best show then certainly the definitive one played on these shores at the peak of the phenomenon. I recorded the Radio 1 broadcast on to cassette and was mostly happy with that, keeping that hallowed TDK C-90 ever since with track list hand-written in biro, the way it should be. Never bothering to pick up any of the bootlegs, or those previous unofficial DVDs that appeared on the market. But with the advent of this release, it was clearly time to finally upgrade.

You could argue that what made a great show doesn't necessarily transfer over to a great DVD. For those brought up on the BBC's excellent recent Reading coverage, the shots here are few and lifeless for the most part, only ever really heightening the experience when the director goes mad with Smells Like Teen Spirit. But it's fine for what it is.

The audio for the most part packs a powerful punch. Perhaps a flaw in the mix here and there, but that's being picky. I'm convinced this is as good a DVD as we're going to get. That said, there are no extras apart from a post-credits fan meeting with Kurt, but there's not much they could include, so it's ultimately a complete and technically satisfying document of the show. (Actually, that young fan is a bit of a [can't really say the word I want to]. They needn't have bothered including that either!)

It's the CD where real problems arise and the set is denied its fifth star. Perhaps that's harsh, but the messy Love Buzz is not the only thing to be cut because of space issues here. They've managed to trim another ten minutes or so, and this means we lose moments like Kurt's The Rose intro, the impromptu cover of More Than A Feeling at the beginning of Smells Like Teen Spirit and the banter between songs - in other words, the things that gave the night its character in the first place. In a way it works as a fast and furious run through the set that's more suited to audio only, but I suspect most fans will be wanting to rip the audio of the DVD (or download it from someone else who has) to appreciate the performance as it should be. The CD even suffers the dreaded overdubbed (canned?) applause to hide the joins.

Although I'd have liked the CD edition in its own packaging to put alongside my other Nirvana albums, the CD on its own isn't really worth owning. This edition comes in a DVD digipak with a slipcase and a small booklet of photos from the night and has to seen as the best official live release from Nirvana yet (not including Unplugged).

5.0 out of 5 stars It never gets better than this, 17 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
This is by far the best live DVD you'll ever see. It doesn't get better than this.

Nirvana were always special but they've gone and that's that. But we are priveleged to see this 1992 concert issue. There was always something sad, unsettling and indiscernable in Kurt Cobain but he comes across as not only a incredible stage presence but as a fine songwriter second to none. Just take him for being a pleasant (but mixed up) bloke who had a gift and knowing it was good. And this is good. There is a wit, intelligence, and care that just isn't apparent from any recent artist.

There isn't a bad song in the set list and for those of us who remember, it will take you back there. For those who don't remember, it's a lesson in sheer musical brilliance.

I'm a long way over the hill these days but this concert takes me back. I'm only sad when it ends. The good news is there's still Foo Fighters.

Just buy it. You won't watch it once.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great show - not so great on CD. And where are the extras?!?, 12 Nov. 2009
D. Macphee "phacmee!" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
I have to say that the DVD is a solid 8/10 - maybe even a 9/10, but the CD is awful. Had I known the audio quality and editing were so poor I would have simply bought the DVD. Gone is the between-song banter and instead we're just presented with the songs. Utterly pointless as this is a historical document of such a seminal moment. In times of downloading I would have preferred the WHOLE show to be available as MP3s or even as a double CD. A wasted opportunity.

Reading 92 was an amazing Nirvana gig. The sloppy parts only add to the charm (Nirvana were hardly Muse live were they?) and 'All Apologies' is a million times superior to the album version (lyrically it's less pretentious but more raw and heartfelt).

All in all, this is what us Nirvana fans have been waiting years for and the DVD does not disappoint. My only gripe is that, back in May when this release was announced we were promised a raft of extras (presumably to tempt people away from buying the Reading 92 bootleg DVD that surfaced around the same time). The only 'bonus' material is at the end when Kurt signs a piece of paper for a kid with leukemia. And even that makes for VERY uncomfortable viewing, if only for Kurt's obvious discomfort (plus he REALLY puts his foot in it - very Curb Your Enthusiasm!)

So... I'm just hoping that the Nirvana cash cow produces more live DVDs. The Halloween show and even MTV Live and Loud spring instantly to mind.

My advice is to buy the DVD of the show and save your money with the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 6 Nov. 2009
Craig Finlay - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
Ok, here's an honest review of the DVD.

As most fans of the band will testify, you can only listen to songs so many times before they get a bit over familiar - no matter how good they are. I listened to Nirvana non-stop for years in my late teens and early twenties. My bootleg CD of this performance was the only one of many that stood the test of time due, in part, to it's impressive sound quality.

So...the first thing I'd say is that, soundwise, this official release is no better than the bootleg. Surprisingly, there's a lot of crowd noise and singing in the mix, but IMHO this simply adds to the excitement and frenzied atmosphere of the gig.

There aren't many shots of the audience, but footage of the crowd taken from behind the stage essentially positions you right next to Kurt, offering an intimate insight of what it must have been like for the band on the night. And it gave me chills to see the trio perform in such glorious high definition.

Make no mistake - this is a five-star performance. Everything that's good about Nirvana is right here on this disc: the passion, the bum notes, the banter, the chemistry, musicianship etc. And as has been pointed out, it's bittersweet to see Kurt smiling and having fun, pulling another rabbit out the hat at the top of his game. At times the renditions seem so fragile that they might fall apart altogether (Polly and All Apologies) but then that was always part of the magic of nirvana (that it never did!!). If you are a genuine fan, all I can say is don't hesitate to buy this. Sit down, pull the curtains and relax with a beer (or whatever floats your boat) and ENJOY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nirvana Reading 92, 16 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Live At Reading (Audio CD)
It is understandable why this has live Nirvana show has now been officialy released. It was their most high profile show of their career, however it is not their best live performance. By Nirvana's standards this was a pretty average performance. The sound quality is great though and on the CD you get a total of 24 songs, so it is a pretty generous release. All the pre In Utero era hits are included, such as Sliver, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Lithium, In Bloom etc.. Pretty much every song from the massive Nevermind album is here, rightly so as this was recorded at the peak of Nevermind mania. The crowd sing along to Lithium is so cool. There is even a couple of songs which would be released on future studio album In Utero: Tourette's and the future hit All Apologies, both of which are amazing performances. Kurt even does a grungy version of the American national anthem at the end. This album is a must have for any Nirvana fan

5.0 out of 5 stars This will be played at my funeral, 20 May 2013
Luke Brooks (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Reading (Audio CD)
I was not a fan of Nirvana prior to buying this album. My friends had always banged on about how good they were, and I, with a shameful admittance, confessed that the only song of their's that I knew was 'Smells like teen spirit',

Nevertheless, I thought I'd give them a try after many hard years of avoiding them, and boy am I glad I did.

The reason I bought this album is mainly because I tend to appreciate live music more than studio-recorded. Needless to say, I instantly fell in love with all the songs on the CD; there are the classics like 'Come as you are' and 'In bloom', but also some stuff I hadn't heard before. After listening to it once I went online to buy the DVD (which is phenomenal also) and now, a few months later, I have purchased all Nirvana's albums. I'd like to say I'm a hardcore fan, but I think I need to listen to all their albums a few more times before I can truly say that.

Nevertheless, this is definitely their best album, and I am determined to have at least one song (I'm looking at you 'Polly') played at my funeral.

Great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best live albums ever., 14 Oct. 2009
S. Robertson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
I have had this set in its entirety for over ten years now as a bootleg and despite my love for nirvana having naturally diminished ( i was about 15/16 when this happened) this is just a pristine set from the band at the height of their powers. All the old hits and a smattering of tracks off of in utero which was still to be released. Sweet of Kurt to get the whole of the Reading crowd to tell Courtney Love (his wife) "We love you" then slip into all apologies. This whole set also has the backdrop of constant rumours of Kurt's demise over the weekend before their set just makes the gig all the more memorable. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Classic, 19 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
I had a bootleg of the Reading performance, but it is rubbish compared to this DVD!!! I cannot believe how clear the picture and sound are- its simply awesome... For me the most amazing thing is how timeless Nirvana are... if you didn't know Kurt Cobain was dead, you'd assume this performance was recorded recently. Some of the other reviewers have criticised Cobain's guitar playing, but for me live music is about passion, energy and atmosphere NOT perfection. Buy this DVD and relive one of the greatest bands ever doing what they do best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD)
Live At Reading (Deluxe Edition CD+DVD) by Nirvana (Audio CD - 2009)