on 28 July 2010
I bought the drive on the back of positive reviews on various review sites (bit tech, hexus etc.). I do agree with the reviews they give, the drive is quick. But these sites don't test for longevity, or lack thereof. I've had this drive for one and a half months, and no longer have it, its on its way back to Samsung. The drive refuses to spin up.
I will, if I remember, update this review following the RMA process detailing my experience. I will also add that this is the only drive of this model I own, so it may be a one-off fault, and I'm sure that not all drives will fail so quickly or at all in their life cycle. (I hope).
I have various other drives, none of which have yet died on me, even after years of use, including a Maxtor (not renowned as the most reliable drives, but I can't fault mine.), Hitachi, and some from Seagate. The drive was not excessively in use, it was used for windows 7 and Gentoo for at most a few hours a day. Next time I'll go for reputation as well as reviews, next drive (to back up and possibly replace this one via RAID 1) will probably be a western digital blue/black/yellow.
All in all, not happy, but this may not be representative of these drives.

--update-- (almost 2 months later)
After returning the drive to Samsung, i expected a lengthy wait for a new one. I posted the drive first class, so Samsung would receive it in a day or two, process the replacement request, do whatever it is companies do for days on end, then post it back using the slowest service known to man... Well, no. They dispatched a brand new drive to me the day after i posted it, and another day later I was putting it in my pc. Very fast turnaround, which is appreciated with something that can be so crucial to the system.
The package i received when Samsung sent me the new drive was also more thorough than what i got on initial purchase. Samsung included mounting screws and instructions, and the drive was very well protected.
no registration or even receipt was needed for the RMA process, just the drive serial number, which is usefull as other information always seems to get lost.

The new drive is still happily spinning, and is just as quick as drive it replaces. I still can't vouch for long term reliability, but fast returns policy and a RAID array can compensate for this. And at least inside the 3 year warranty its free to replace.

overall, Samsung returns are excellent, and the drives quick. I may have had a bad one (all manufacturers have these it seems), and I haven't heard of many others failing at all, less than any drive i can think of. This points to poor luck on my part and hence 4 stars.
99 comments|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2011
I upgraded my Sky HD box (a Samsung manufactured Sky box, which I got in April 2010) with this drive.

This drive is very popular with Sky HD upgraders- although do some research to ensure it is compatible with your box if yours was not manufactured by Samsung (it says on the back of the Sky box).

The drive is reasonably quiet, although does run louder than the drive originally in the Sky Box.

You will need a free program called Copy + to do the upgrade- but it is easy really. Full details on Copy + website Also google the make of your Sky box to get instructions on how to unscrew it to fit the new drive.

My Sky box (which had a 500gb drive in it, but only 250gb in use for "personal storage" so it must have been using 250gb for Sky Anytime) went from being 80% full to 20%

You actually get a proportionately much larger amount of space when you install this because it seems the amount reserved for Anytime did not increase.

I have done absolutely masses of HD recording which would have filled my old Sky box HD a couple of times, but this new drive still has 60% free. I will now be recording all the upcoming HBO shows on the new Sky Atlantic channel!

Definitely recommended if you are running out of space on your Sky HD, but be prepared for it to be a bit noisier, albeit you cannot really hear it when the TV is on.
on 8 February 2010
Just like the previous reviewer, I did quite a bit of research before buying this drive.
I could not be happier, it is really fast and silent in my LaCie FW800 enclosure (much more than the seagate that originally came with it).
On top of everything, it is very reasonably priced. Overall, an excellent value for money.
on 20 November 2010
Great drive, but I think amazon are going through a bad batch right now.

Have had to return 2 in a row now, they work fine until about 30 hours on-time, where they start to develop problems reading, which causes everything to freeze up for a second. Noticed it first in games, but it got worse after a few days, stuttering every few seconds even in windows, eventually causing windows to hang. They also would completely stop working if you stressed them out for an hour or 2 to backup or restore content. The second one is a lot better, but it definitely the same issue, just not as bad - so far.

Not sure if I'll risk buying a 3rd from here.
on 19 December 2009
Did a lot of research before buying and this drive was consistantly recommended.

After building it into my sons new PC we did some online tests which proved how fast it was. Recommended by me too..
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2011
I used this drive to upgrade my Sky HD box, and it fitted perfectly, does it's job perfectly (loads of room now), the only downside is it's a little noisier than the original Sky Hard Drive but it's rarely noticeable most of the time. Chuffed with it.
on 24 June 2011
The 4 stars is for the drive which is good value and quiet as I have another but I'd give 1 star for the one I bought here as it had the now famous Amazon packaging (bit of cardboard and plastic box) is now being rma'd after 6 months.
on 21 March 2011
Decided to buy this 1 as my motherboard can only deal with 300MB transfer rate & this drive runs at the higher 7200rpm. Quick delivery (even quicker than my SATA cables bought from Amazon). Bar the SATA cable mobo slot being directly behind where my GFX card is, (anyway the heel of my boot sorted that & my GFX card clicked back in) it was even quicker to install with my click-clunk drive spaces, no screws needed even though provided. Formatted & reinstalled all my games that were clogging up my OS drive with no trouble at all (recommend lots of biscuits & cups of tea for this part). Been using drive for more than a month now & it 'dose exactly what is says on the tin' (so far!) & fast, don't notice any spin up/spin down delay time like other reviews suggest, but the -zub-zub- noise it makes when u access it can even be heard through my headphones while playing game soundtracks with Win sys sound at Lv30.

PRO'S
* Fast
* Cheap
* Doubled my HD capacity
* Reliable (well we'll just have to see)

CON'S
* Noisy when in use (sounds like a UFO taking off! lol)
on 18 November 2010
I have noted some who mention noisy drives and early failures, and for this reason I delayed this review.

When placing my order under the normal delivery service, I worked out a likely date for its arrival. However, when the item finally appeared on the order tracking system, after initially being unavailable, I found that the estimated delivery date was two days later than expected. It finally arrived on the date predicted by the tracker, packaged very thoroughly, and came with additional screws etc., although my iMac did not require them. I was also impressed by the chap who delivered it, who seemed to appreciate that it needed handling with care!

The slightly later than expected delivery is the only negative, but I am more than 90% satisfied with the whole deal. Therefore I cannot justify awarding anything less than 5 stars.
- - -
Update:
It is now 15 months since installing the F3. It has been used almost constantly - and virtually every day - and has run perfectly and silently the whole time. Faultless is something of an understatement...
on 14 April 2011
I have 2 of these drives, one I have had for a year and one I just bought recently. They are great drives as they are very quick, reliable and cheap.

The only thing to watch out with these drives is that in some pc cases they cause the pc case and surrounds to resonate from the vibration of the spinning platters.
It's sounds like a throbbing hum and can be heard even in the next room if you listen carefully. I managed to block it out altogether by placing my pc case on an inch thick layer
of sponge. Now the drives are completely silent. I believe that in a different case this wouldn't happen and that is probably why most people don't report this issue. I don't believe it is
only the pc case's fault as I have had 3 other drives installed in it before and they didn't cause the same noise.

Overall I would still recommend these drives but they do lose star for the issue explained above.

See one answered question