5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes
I had seen a video of the song 'Open Your Eyes' on MTV2 and I instantly liked it. I thought I'd take a gamble on it and immediately bought the album.

I listened to about half of the album to begin with and gave up. I have since given it another try and listened to the whole album. Let me tell you one thing. This album will blow your mind.

The only...
Published on 1 Jun 2006 by Dafydd Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
I prefer their follow up 'Blackbird'. This record is good and as mentioned contains a variety of styles although many of the tracks are a little bit 'Dawson's Creek' for me - soaring ballads, minor keys and 'clench fist' soulful moments where you expect to see a video of a man playing a guitar in the rain in slow motion. Good but perhaps a little contrived in places.
Published on 28 Jun 2010 by Mr. N. F. Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes, 1 Jun 2006
Dafydd Jones "MetalliManic" (Aberystwyth, Ceredigion United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)

The only words which describe this album are positive ones. It is brilliant, it is epic, it is explosive, and the main factor- Myles Kennedy's vocal range is extraordinary.

On the opener, 'Find The Real', it is an epic, riff-laden extragavanza where Kennedy reaches absolutely gravitating heights with his voice. Especially at the end where he holds his voice for about ten seconds in differentiating ranges. Unbelievable.

The second track, 'One Day Remains', and the title track to the album is much more up-tempo. Kennedy still sings very impressively and in comparison to Scott Stapp, Kennedy is the one with the better vocal range, and ultimately, the stronger voice. Another very heavy track, the riffs are very meaty and sound superb.

The third track, and the first release, which was 'Open Your Eyes', is a soaring anthem, right from the very beginning. The chorus is brilliant, almost taken out of Creed's book. However, on the whole, Alter Bridge's music is nothing like Creed. But this song is brilliant.

The fourth track, 'Burn It Down' is another brilliant track, and the longest on offer here at seven minutes long. Starts melodically, and Kennedy's vocals are amazing here. One of my favourites. Unforgettable.

Track five, 'Metalingus' is a hard-rocking track, and brilliant at that. The drums at the beginning are brilliant. The track then explodes into life. The method in which it finishes is also spectacular. A definite highlight.

Track six, 'Broken Wings' begins very slowly, but has a nice melody to it. The chorus is probably the most anthemic on the whole album. 'On broken wings I'm falling, and it won't be long, the skin on me is burning by the fires of the sun.' You sometimes find that a chorus makes a song and this is the case here. Unforgettable.

Track seven, 'In Loving Memory' is the tribute of one band member to his grandmother. It's a lovely ballad, and although it's quite heavy, the lyrics are deep and meaningful. A perfect ballad.

Track eight, 'Down To My Last' begins with a soaring riff, before a melodic opening verse. This song is another anthemic one, and this is probably Kennedy at his brilliant best, in the unforgettable chorus.

Track nine, 'Watch Your Words' is a very heavy song, in the same context maybe as 'Metalingus' is. It begins in absolutely kick-ass fashion with meaty riffs and growling bass. The pre-chorus is rather melodic, however the chorus itself is brilliant and explodes into life. Superb.

Track ten, 'Shed My Skin' begins very slowly- like a ballad. By now Alter Bridge are developing a knack for anthemic, soaring choruses and when they work this well, who can complain? Kennedy certainly has the voice for it. He reaches heights here that are previously unheard on the album. Brilliant.

Track eleven, and the final track, 'The End Is Here' begins lightly. But you just know that underneath that calm surface is a beast waiting to jump out. And in the chorus that's precisely what happens. The song has a relatively creepy feel to it, and Kennedy's voice is incredible throughout. A perfect way to end a perfect hard rock album.

Alter Bridge combine solid bass lines, meaty guitar riffs, cohesive drumming and an incredible vocal talent in Myles Kennedy. An amazing band to whom I look forward their next album. Unbelievable music. Two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best money I've ever spent on an album, 23 Dec 2004
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
This is simply agreeing with many of the other reviews, but this is the best album I own. I listen to loads of guitar related and instrumental music like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Metallica, but this album shows how amazin vocals and incredible guitar skills can create something amazing. I bought this album seeing the video for Open Your Eyes, and was blown away by Tremonti on the guitar. I never got into Creed, so wasn't quite sure what to expect. There isn't a dull song on the album, and it consists of brilliant power ballads such as Burn It Down, courtesy of Myles Kennedy (vocals) and Mark Tremonti (guitar), but features heavier songs like Metalingus (my favourite song ever!!) People will be scratching their heads as to how Tremonti can pull off the solos he does, especially on Open Your Eyes. Scott Phillips is an amazing drummer, putting in loads of fills and double bass, and Brian Marshall brings the band together with his bass playin.
Overall, this is the best album in the world, so go buy it! You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album-it's as simple as that!, 28 Feb 2006
N. Fitzgerald (Newtownabbey, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I'd always enjoyed Creeds sound,there most memorable track being "Higher",but Alter Bridge are something else -they're in a different league altogether,especially the lead singer-Myles Kennedy.
It's like when Van Halen replaced Dave Lee Roth with Sammy Hagar,they went from strength to strength and Alter Bridge will do similar if they continually produce songs of this quality.
Put simply,this album ROCKS!!! in every sense of the word.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars ***** Fan-Dooby-Tastic *****, 23 Jun 2005
M. Rogers "Dodge" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
After a mate of mine heard 'Find The Real' and decided it was enough for him to buy the album...i decided to take a quick listen. I heard 'Open Your Eyes' and immediately jumped onto Amazon to order this cd. It is very almost my favourite album (and I have quite a few). The emotion put in these songs drives me crazy, as does the awesome guitar playing, the lyrics, the beats and basically....everything else. 'Open Your Eyes', 'Metalingus', 'Broken Wings', 'Shed My Skin' and 'In Loving Memory' are the 5 songs I most recommend, but surely that's enough to make you buy the album as the other 6 songs are brilliant too.
Creed has officially evolved... from one of the world's greatest bands...to THE greatest band! All hail Alter Bridge!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better...., 28 Sep 2004
Matt Wiggins (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I was devastated to hear of Creed's demise over the summer, but heartened by the news that Mark, Flip and Brian had formed Alter Bridge with Myles Kennedy.
I took the liberty of ordering this album on import and received it well before the UK release date, and it's proved to be one of the wiser moves I've made recently.
Put simply, this is the best album I have heard in years. As previous reviewers have mentioned, there are undoubtedly heavy undertones of Creed here, but Kennedy has brought a new identity to the sound of Alter Bridge, and from top to bottom this is one hell of an offering.
Creed fans will love the slow burners that are Broken Wings, In Loving Memory (written as a tribute to Mark's Mother who recently passed) and Shed My Skin. Open Your Eyes is the unforgettable single, having much the same impact as Creed hits Higher (Human Clay) and My Sacrifice (Weathered).
Tracks such as Find the Real, Metalingus & One Day Remain up the tempo another notch and show us the raw power of Alter Bridge.
Kennedy has an unbelievable voice....I never thought I'd say this as a diehard Creed fan....but he comfortably fills Stapp's boots (and perhaps looks better in them?!?!)
In summary...BUY THIS ALBUM.....It's awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best album of the last few years, 3 Sep 2006
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Alter Bridge (and Creed and The Mayfield Four)by a friend, and still cannot thank her enough!

Alter bridge really do blow Creed away by a mile, and that's no slur on Creed, it's just that AB are so amazing.

Unlike Creed, the sound of Alter bridge (almost raw at times i think) gives Tremonti especially chance to shine, as I felt he was sometimes a bit overshadowed by Stapp's vocals.

Myles Kennedy is just amazing (in all of the groups he has been a member of, including the not so well known Citizen Swing - wirth checking out) and is one of the few vocalists I know who is as good on studio works as he is live (having seen Alter bridge perform in Wolverhampton at the start of the summer)

Brian Marshall on the bass and Scott Phillips on the drums are much more in the limelight than they were with Creed (need I say more than Metalingus?).

All in all, these guys are one of the freshest and most original groups I've encountered of late, and I challenge anyone who thinks that they are "just Creed with a different singer", this is NOT the case.

Looking forward to the new album, and next tour!

Also, check out Logan if you get the chance ([...] I saw them support Alter Bridge and went and bought their album straightaway. They rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yea the albums great and so r they live, 4 Dec 2004
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I love this album so much but most of this is reviewing the gig on 3rd of December at the mean fiddler. this was my first ever concert and I was really exited. The support band the answer were really good but couldn't compare to AB. They started off with one day remains and the crowd went mental. they followed this up with watch your words then calmed the crowd down with broken wings. Then fired out find the real and burn it down. the next song was metalingus and this song started off a mosh pit and in my opinion was the third best song of the night. Out next was the end is here and then they asked the crowd what they wanted next and most people said shed my skin so they played that next. Then they played my personal favourite song and properly the best song of the night down to my last. They then did a rock and roll session which included some AC/DC and Guns and Roses. they then went off stage for about 5mins. during which the crowd were chanting alter bridge. They returned to the stage to play in loving memory, Deep purple's highway star and finally the second best performance of the night open your eyes. Mark Tremonti was a legend and owned his guitar all night and was just amazing. Myles Kennedy is properly the best rock singer ever as he can sing amazingly but can play and shred on guitar. Scott Phillips put everything he had into making his performances the best and was amazing all night on the drums. Last but defiantly not least Brian Marshall on bass was amazing and just was really getting into the music with Tremonti. They announced a concert over in England again on the 4th of march at the London Estoria which I am defiantly going to. cant wait for them to come back

5.0 out of 5 stars Alter Bridge -- Amazing, 8 Oct 2004
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
As a 38 year old former follower of the classic rock era (Rainbow, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath etc) I thought that I had heard all the greats. To be honest I have not listened to the bands former life -- Creed, so I can not compare. All I can say is this album is amazing. It has great power ballads like " In loving memory" and "broken wings" and fantastic out and out metal tracks like "Find the real" and and "Watch your Words" and really everything in between. The guitar work reminds me of both Blackmore (in the quieter songs) and Jimmy Page. Myles Kennedy has an amazing voice with an incredible range. This is the best new album I have heard in a long time. Give me more!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a work of pure genius, 2 Nov 2006
TigerEyes (Glasgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I was upset when Creed split up, when Alter Bridge appeared I was a bit sceptical but the first time I heard 'One Day Remains' I was transported. It is a work of pure genius. Myles Kennedy's voice is amazing, smooth, sexy, rock, and how long can that man hold a note!?! Mark Tremonti's soaring guitar solo's are nothing short of brilliant. I just have to close my eyes, absorb them fully, they can make the hairs on my neck stand up. Backed up by the almost perfect rhythm of Brian and Scott.

Stand out tracks? Well, the album has no track that doesn't cut it. All the songs are truly brilliant, but the best of the best are Find the Real (what an amazing opening song), One Day Remains, Open Your Eyes, Burn it Down, Broken Wings (I think this one is my fav but it really is a tough call), Down to My Last. The album covers sublime rock with Metallingus to the heart wrenchingly beautiful In Loving Memory.

It's a classic album, it lives on my MP3 player, I can't get enough. And if you ever get the chance to see Alter Bridge live - take it!! They are amazing. I can't wait until the next offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic., 27 July 2006
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
Had this CD in my player for 18 months now, cant get it out of my head.

The word 'classic' is tossed around all too easily these days, but it certainly applies to One Day Remains.

The album is a classic - and one of those rare, one-in-a-milllion collections that stands the test of time.

Listen to it and be blown away. Metalingus and Burn It Down are unforgettable tracks with guitar playing that eats away at your central nervous system.

Quite fabulous.