5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes
I had seen a video of the song 'Open Your Eyes' on MTV2 and I instantly liked it. I thought I'd take a gamble on it and immediately bought the album.

I listened to about half of the album to begin with and gave up. I have since given it another try and listened to the whole album. Let me tell you one thing. This album will blow your mind.

The only...
Published on 1 Jun 2006 by Dafydd Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
I prefer their follow up 'Blackbird'. This record is good and as mentioned contains a variety of styles although many of the tracks are a little bit 'Dawson's Creek' for me - soaring ballads, minor keys and 'clench fist' soulful moments where you expect to see a video of a man playing a guitar in the rain in slow motion. Good but perhaps a little contrived in places.
Published on 28 Jun 2010 by Mr. N. F. Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes, 1 Jun 2006
Dafydd Jones "MetalliManic" (Aberystwyth, Ceredigion United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)

The only words which describe this album are positive ones. It is brilliant, it is epic, it is explosive, and the main factor- Myles Kennedy's vocal range is extraordinary.

On the opener, 'Find The Real', it is an epic, riff-laden extragavanza where Kennedy reaches absolutely gravitating heights with his voice. Especially at the end where he holds his voice for about ten seconds in differentiating ranges. Unbelievable.

The second track, 'One Day Remains', and the title track to the album is much more up-tempo. Kennedy still sings very impressively and in comparison to Scott Stapp, Kennedy is the one with the better vocal range, and ultimately, the stronger voice. Another very heavy track, the riffs are very meaty and sound superb.

The third track, and the first release, which was 'Open Your Eyes', is a soaring anthem, right from the very beginning. The chorus is brilliant, almost taken out of Creed's book. However, on the whole, Alter Bridge's music is nothing like Creed. But this song is brilliant.

The fourth track, 'Burn It Down' is another brilliant track, and the longest on offer here at seven minutes long. Starts melodically, and Kennedy's vocals are amazing here. One of my favourites. Unforgettable.

Track five, 'Metalingus' is a hard-rocking track, and brilliant at that. The drums at the beginning are brilliant. The track then explodes into life. The method in which it finishes is also spectacular. A definite highlight.

Track six, 'Broken Wings' begins very slowly, but has a nice melody to it. The chorus is probably the most anthemic on the whole album. 'On broken wings I'm falling, and it won't be long, the skin on me is burning by the fires of the sun.' You sometimes find that a chorus makes a song and this is the case here. Unforgettable.

Track seven, 'In Loving Memory' is the tribute of one band member to his grandmother. It's a lovely ballad, and although it's quite heavy, the lyrics are deep and meaningful. A perfect ballad.

Track eight, 'Down To My Last' begins with a soaring riff, before a melodic opening verse. This song is another anthemic one, and this is probably Kennedy at his brilliant best, in the unforgettable chorus.

Track nine, 'Watch Your Words' is a very heavy song, in the same context maybe as 'Metalingus' is. It begins in absolutely kick-ass fashion with meaty riffs and growling bass. The pre-chorus is rather melodic, however the chorus itself is brilliant and explodes into life. Superb.

Track ten, 'Shed My Skin' begins very slowly- like a ballad. By now Alter Bridge are developing a knack for anthemic, soaring choruses and when they work this well, who can complain? Kennedy certainly has the voice for it. He reaches heights here that are previously unheard on the album. Brilliant.

Track eleven, and the final track, 'The End Is Here' begins lightly. But you just know that underneath that calm surface is a beast waiting to jump out. And in the chorus that's precisely what happens. The song has a relatively creepy feel to it, and Kennedy's voice is incredible throughout. A perfect way to end a perfect hard rock album.

Alter Bridge combine solid bass lines, meaty guitar riffs, cohesive drumming and an incredible vocal talent in Myles Kennedy. An amazing band to whom I look forward their next album. Unbelievable music. Two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best money I've ever spent on an album, 23 Dec 2004
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
This is simply agreeing with many of the other reviews, but this is the best album I own. I listen to loads of guitar related and instrumental music like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Metallica, but this album shows how amazin vocals and incredible guitar skills can create something amazing. I bought this album seeing the video for Open Your Eyes, and was blown away by Tremonti on the guitar. I never got into Creed, so wasn't quite sure what to expect. There isn't a dull song on the album, and it consists of brilliant power ballads such as Burn It Down, courtesy of Myles Kennedy (vocals) and Mark Tremonti (guitar), but features heavier songs like Metalingus (my favourite song ever!!) People will be scratching their heads as to how Tremonti can pull off the solos he does, especially on Open Your Eyes. Scott Phillips is an amazing drummer, putting in loads of fills and double bass, and Brian Marshall brings the band together with his bass playin.
Overall, this is the best album in the world, so go buy it! You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album-it's as simple as that!, 28 Feb 2006
N. Fitzgerald (Newtownabbey, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I'd always enjoyed Creeds sound,there most memorable track being "Higher",but Alter Bridge are something else -they're in a different league altogether,especially the lead singer-Myles Kennedy.
It's like when Van Halen replaced Dave Lee Roth with Sammy Hagar,they went from strength to strength and Alter Bridge will do similar if they continually produce songs of this quality.
Put simply,this album ROCKS!!! in every sense of the word.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best album of the last few years, 3 Sep 2006
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Alter Bridge (and Creed and The Mayfield Four)by a friend, and still cannot thank her enough!

Alter bridge really do blow Creed away by a mile, and that's no slur on Creed, it's just that AB are so amazing.

Unlike Creed, the sound of Alter bridge (almost raw at times i think) gives Tremonti especially chance to shine, as I felt he was sometimes a bit overshadowed by Stapp's vocals.

Myles Kennedy is just amazing (in all of the groups he has been a member of, including the not so well known Citizen Swing - wirth checking out) and is one of the few vocalists I know who is as good on studio works as he is live (having seen Alter bridge perform in Wolverhampton at the start of the summer)

Brian Marshall on the bass and Scott Phillips on the drums are much more in the limelight than they were with Creed (need I say more than Metalingus?).

All in all, these guys are one of the freshest and most original groups I've encountered of late, and I challenge anyone who thinks that they are "just Creed with a different singer", this is NOT the case.

Looking forward to the new album, and next tour!

Also, check out Logan if you get the chance ([...] I saw them support Alter Bridge and went and bought their album straightaway. They rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars a work of pure genius, 2 Nov 2006
TigerEyes (Glasgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I was upset when Creed split up, when Alter Bridge appeared I was a bit sceptical but the first time I heard 'One Day Remains' I was transported. It is a work of pure genius. Myles Kennedy's voice is amazing, smooth, sexy, rock, and how long can that man hold a note!?! Mark Tremonti's soaring guitar solo's are nothing short of brilliant. I just have to close my eyes, absorb them fully, they can make the hairs on my neck stand up. Backed up by the almost perfect rhythm of Brian and Scott.

Stand out tracks? Well, the album has no track that doesn't cut it. All the songs are truly brilliant, but the best of the best are Find the Real (what an amazing opening song), One Day Remains, Open Your Eyes, Burn it Down, Broken Wings (I think this one is my fav but it really is a tough call), Down to My Last. The album covers sublime rock with Metallingus to the heart wrenchingly beautiful In Loving Memory.

It's a classic album, it lives on my MP3 player, I can't get enough. And if you ever get the chance to see Alter Bridge live - take it!! They are amazing. I can't wait until the next offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic., 27 July 2006
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
Had this CD in my player for 18 months now, cant get it out of my head.

The word 'classic' is tossed around all too easily these days, but it certainly applies to One Day Remains.

The album is a classic - and one of those rare, one-in-a-milllion collections that stands the test of time.

Listen to it and be blown away. Metalingus and Burn It Down are unforgettable tracks with guitar playing that eats away at your central nervous system.

Quite fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars ***** Fan-Dooby-Tastic *****, 23 Jun 2005
M. Rogers "Dodge" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
After a mate of mine heard 'Find The Real' and decided it was enough for him to buy the album...i decided to take a quick listen. I heard 'Open Your Eyes' and immediately jumped onto Amazon to order this cd. It is very almost my favourite album (and I have quite a few). The emotion put in these songs drives me crazy, as does the awesome guitar playing, the lyrics, the beats and basically....everything else. 'Open Your Eyes', 'Metalingus', 'Broken Wings', 'Shed My Skin' and 'In Loving Memory' are the 5 songs I most recommend, but surely that's enough to make you buy the album as the other 6 songs are brilliant too.
Creed has officially evolved... from one of the world's greatest bands...to THE greatest band! All hail Alter Bridge!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely Genius Album, 20 April 2007
Adam Godbeer "dragonq0105" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
This album is, in a word, genius. A fantastic mix of songs, every single one of them is emotive and powerful, and together they form probably the best rock album I've heard.

The songs just go together so well, there are no fillers (you know that latest Hip Hop, R 'n' B or Rap album you've seen in the charts that your friends like two or three songs from? You won't get any of that here), and the entire album sounds so thoughtfully and carefully done, down to each riff.

There are a lot of anthem-like tracks, that really blow you away: Open Your Eyes, Broken Wings, Burn It Down, Shed My Skin and Down to My Last. Most have slower verses and rocking choruses. Just close your eyes and listen to them, and you can't help but sing along. Then there are the all-out rockers: Find the Real, One Day Remains, Watch Your Words and Metalingus. All are brilliant, heavy tracks. Then there are the two other tracks - firstly, In Loving Memory. This track is simply beautiful, and is apparently about a dead loved one. The last unmentioned track is, perhaps fittingly, the last track of the album. The End Is Here. Perhaps my favourite track on this album, it is just remarkable. The intro is one of the best I've heard, as is the outro, and it slowly builds to a sort-of crescendo, but has an elequance about it that makes it a perfect way to end this exhausting experience.

The biggest strength of this album for me is the lyrics - every single one of them being thoughtful and meaningful, unlike with many other pop artists I can think of... If you like rock, this album has to be in your collection. For me it epitomises the genre completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy successors to...Led Zep, 14 April 2007
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I have been listening to rock music for over 40 years and have been completely blown away by this album. Alter Bridge sound nothing like Led Zep - neither better nor worse, just different. But in Mark Tremonti they have a worthy successor to Jimmy Page. Tremonti, like Page, understands the dynamics of light and shade. He varies monstrous, monolithic riffs with finger-picked arpeggios, reflecting Page's electric / acoustic spectrum. He can play fast when he needs to (listen to title track "One Day Remains") but prefers a slower, emotionally-driven style, like Page. And he writes wonderful melodies. He's been quoted somewhere as saying that it's tunes which matter and Alter Bridge have these in abundance. Don't be put off by the opening track - it's the weakest on the album, but after that every one is a classic. This is the best debut album I've heard since "Led Zeppelin" and that's partly because both Page and Tremonti were veterans in relation to their "new" bands. Can't wait for Alter Bridge's second. These guys are going to be huge.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 20 Dec 2005
F. Riches "chunki_munki" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
As soon as i heard about this album i was out to get it. I have to admit i hadn't heard of the band until my mate lent me the albumn, but was immediately hooked when i listened to "open your eyes". An album well worth the money!

One Day Remains