5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes
I had seen a video of the song 'Open Your Eyes' on MTV2 and I instantly liked it. I thought I'd take a gamble on it and immediately bought the album.

I listened to about half of the album to begin with and gave up. I have since given it another try and listened to the whole album. Let me tell you one thing. This album will blow your mind.

The only...
Published on 1 Jun 2006 by Dafydd Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
I prefer their follow up 'Blackbird'. This record is good and as mentioned contains a variety of styles although many of the tracks are a little bit 'Dawson's Creek' for me - soaring ballads, minor keys and 'clench fist' soulful moments where you expect to see a video of a man playing a guitar in the rain in slow motion. Good but perhaps a little contrived in places.
Published on 28 Jun 2010 by Mr. N. F. Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes, 1 Jun 2006
Dafydd Jones "MetalliManic" (Aberystwyth, Ceredigion United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)

The only words which describe this album are positive ones. It is brilliant, it is epic, it is explosive, and the main factor- Myles Kennedy's vocal range is extraordinary.

On the opener, 'Find The Real', it is an epic, riff-laden extragavanza where Kennedy reaches absolutely gravitating heights with his voice. Especially at the end where he holds his voice for about ten seconds in differentiating ranges. Unbelievable.

The second track, 'One Day Remains', and the title track to the album is much more up-tempo. Kennedy still sings very impressively and in comparison to Scott Stapp, Kennedy is the one with the better vocal range, and ultimately, the stronger voice. Another very heavy track, the riffs are very meaty and sound superb.

The third track, and the first release, which was 'Open Your Eyes', is a soaring anthem, right from the very beginning. The chorus is brilliant, almost taken out of Creed's book. However, on the whole, Alter Bridge's music is nothing like Creed. But this song is brilliant.

The fourth track, 'Burn It Down' is another brilliant track, and the longest on offer here at seven minutes long. Starts melodically, and Kennedy's vocals are amazing here. One of my favourites. Unforgettable.

Track five, 'Metalingus' is a hard-rocking track, and brilliant at that. The drums at the beginning are brilliant. The track then explodes into life. The method in which it finishes is also spectacular. A definite highlight.

Track six, 'Broken Wings' begins very slowly, but has a nice melody to it. The chorus is probably the most anthemic on the whole album. 'On broken wings I'm falling, and it won't be long, the skin on me is burning by the fires of the sun.' You sometimes find that a chorus makes a song and this is the case here. Unforgettable.

Track seven, 'In Loving Memory' is the tribute of one band member to his grandmother. It's a lovely ballad, and although it's quite heavy, the lyrics are deep and meaningful. A perfect ballad.

Track eight, 'Down To My Last' begins with a soaring riff, before a melodic opening verse. This song is another anthemic one, and this is probably Kennedy at his brilliant best, in the unforgettable chorus.

Track nine, 'Watch Your Words' is a very heavy song, in the same context maybe as 'Metalingus' is. It begins in absolutely kick-ass fashion with meaty riffs and growling bass. The pre-chorus is rather melodic, however the chorus itself is brilliant and explodes into life. Superb.

Track ten, 'Shed My Skin' begins very slowly- like a ballad. By now Alter Bridge are developing a knack for anthemic, soaring choruses and when they work this well, who can complain? Kennedy certainly has the voice for it. He reaches heights here that are previously unheard on the album. Brilliant.

Track eleven, and the final track, 'The End Is Here' begins lightly. But you just know that underneath that calm surface is a beast waiting to jump out. And in the chorus that's precisely what happens. The song has a relatively creepy feel to it, and Kennedy's voice is incredible throughout. A perfect way to end a perfect hard rock album.

Alter Bridge combine solid bass lines, meaty guitar riffs, cohesive drumming and an incredible vocal talent in Myles Kennedy. An amazing band to whom I look forward their next album. Unbelievable music. Two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best money I've ever spent on an album, 23 Dec 2004
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
This is simply agreeing with many of the other reviews, but this is the best album I own. I listen to loads of guitar related and instrumental music like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Metallica, but this album shows how amazin vocals and incredible guitar skills can create something amazing. I bought this album seeing the video for Open Your Eyes, and was blown away by Tremonti on the guitar. I never got into Creed, so wasn't quite sure what to expect. There isn't a dull song on the album, and it consists of brilliant power ballads such as Burn It Down, courtesy of Myles Kennedy (vocals) and Mark Tremonti (guitar), but features heavier songs like Metalingus (my favourite song ever!!) People will be scratching their heads as to how Tremonti can pull off the solos he does, especially on Open Your Eyes. Scott Phillips is an amazing drummer, putting in loads of fills and double bass, and Brian Marshall brings the band together with his bass playin.
Overall, this is the best album in the world, so go buy it! You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brave New World, 15 May 2011
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it was first released back in 2004 and it has been in my top 5 favourite albums since then. The debut album from Alter Bridge allowed Mark Tremonti the freedom that was denied him in Creed, it also brought Myles Kennedy to the attention of the rock world for those of us who missed him in The Mayfield Four.

The record is full of top drawer material,there are no dud tracks here. From opener Find The Real to last song The End Is Here, it is a musical journey with soaring singalong rock songs (Open You Eyes, One Day Remains), introspective ballads(Burn It Down, Broken Wings) and all out metal moments (Metalingus, Watch Your Words) all present and correct. Highlights for me are Open Your Eyes, Watch Your Words and Shed My Skin but in truth all of this album does it for me.

Alter Bridge have developed their sound with Blackbird and ABIII, intergrating Myles influence more fully into the band. Both are stunning records but for me One Day Remains is still my favourite. It just has something that keeps me coming back to listen to it again and again. It is not as polished as Blackbird and ABIII with a rawer production that if anything makes the band sound even better, its also an honest record where the band are simply doing what they want. This album represents a band stepping out of a shadow and making the music they always wanted to make, it is simply one of the most underated rock records from the 2000s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I'm not a rock fan, I just like most genres of music. Funnily enough, I came across the track 'Metalingus' when watching a recent WWE event, and thought that Edge's music was catchy, so I got this album. I'm blown away! The lyrical content is thought provoking and conscientious. The lyrics are so cleverly written, I could hardly believe. Combine that with the most amazing vocals (lead vocalist's range is unbelieveable) and the musical package I've got one of the best albums I've heard in years. I've been inspired to do some catch up and have bought 2 more Alter Bridge albums - I didn't realise what I was missing! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 17 Aug 2010
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I only heard of this band when Myles Kennedy started touring with Slash this year but this band are awesome! Can't believe they aren't bigger. Myles has one of the best voices I've heard, his range is incredible, and the tracks on here are a good mix of rock metal and some amazing melodies. I'd recommend Blackbird as well, both 5*

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremonti on fire, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I eagerly bought this album back when it was first released on the strength of Mark Tremonti's anthemic guitar work in Creed so I thought I'd write a review for those yet to be converted; I was not disappointed. It's immediately obvious this is a different and far superior beast to Creed. Through various rock magazine articles I read leading up to the this album it became clear that Tremonti felt very much stifled in how he could play in Creed and that this would be a vehicle in which he could let rip. And doesn't he just!
Things open momentously, Tremonti's guitar screaming and blaring with the reckless abandon of a man determined to show what he can do when he's off the chain. Coupled with that voice of Kennedy's and you have a one-two for the ages (Kennedy and Slash is another). But this is no two horse show, in Marshall and Phillips they have arguably the best rhythm section in modern rock. Just listen to Phillips' amazingly kinetic drums in One Day Remains and try to keep the grin off your face.
Although there were obviously a lot of issues to be aired after the break up of Creed and various deaths of family members, I think there's just one ballad too many but this is easily off set by the strength of the rockers, of which there are plenty, including the gloriously heavy (and brilliantly titled) Metalingus and the none-more-anthemic Down To My Last. Stunning! Before this came out I remember putting my money on Velvet Revolver having the best debut album of the year; that was a great album but this is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, 11 Mar 2011
Miss Travis "xPEBBLESx" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I had already been lucky enough to hear a track off this album. A friend of mine recommended this particular one to be their best. I have to agree its pretty fantastic, and it would take alot to beat it. However, i will be buying Alter Bridges' others to see if i am right. Its worth the five star rating i have given it, if you are wondering which of their albums to buy first, this is the one you should try!

So, so brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album-it's as simple as that!, 28 Feb 2006
N. Fitzgerald (Newtownabbey, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I'd always enjoyed Creeds sound,there most memorable track being "Higher",but Alter Bridge are something else -they're in a different league altogether,especially the lead singer-Myles Kennedy.
It's like when Van Halen replaced Dave Lee Roth with Sammy Hagar,they went from strength to strength and Alter Bridge will do similar if they continually produce songs of this quality.
Put simply,this album ROCKS!!! in every sense of the word.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars ***** Fan-Dooby-Tastic *****, 23 Jun 2005
M. Rogers "Dodge" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
After a mate of mine heard 'Find The Real' and decided it was enough for him to buy the album...i decided to take a quick listen. I heard 'Open Your Eyes' and immediately jumped onto Amazon to order this cd. It is very almost my favourite album (and I have quite a few). The emotion put in these songs drives me crazy, as does the awesome guitar playing, the lyrics, the beats and basically....everything else. 'Open Your Eyes', 'Metalingus', 'Broken Wings', 'Shed My Skin' and 'In Loving Memory' are the 5 songs I most recommend, but surely that's enough to make you buy the album as the other 6 songs are brilliant too.
Creed has officially evolved... from one of the world's greatest bands...to THE greatest band! All hail Alter Bridge!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better...., 28 Sep 2004
Matt Wiggins (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
I was devastated to hear of Creed's demise over the summer, but heartened by the news that Mark, Flip and Brian had formed Alter Bridge with Myles Kennedy.
I took the liberty of ordering this album on import and received it well before the UK release date, and it's proved to be one of the wiser moves I've made recently.
Put simply, this is the best album I have heard in years. As previous reviewers have mentioned, there are undoubtedly heavy undertones of Creed here, but Kennedy has brought a new identity to the sound of Alter Bridge, and from top to bottom this is one hell of an offering.
Creed fans will love the slow burners that are Broken Wings, In Loving Memory (written as a tribute to Mark's Mother who recently passed) and Shed My Skin. Open Your Eyes is the unforgettable single, having much the same impact as Creed hits Higher (Human Clay) and My Sacrifice (Weathered).
Tracks such as Find the Real, Metalingus & One Day Remain up the tempo another notch and show us the raw power of Alter Bridge.
Kennedy has an unbelievable voice....I never thought I'd say this as a diehard Creed fan....but he comfortably fills Stapp's boots (and perhaps looks better in them?!?!)
In summary...BUY THIS ALBUM.....It's awesome!

One Day Remains