5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply a great album
Published on 11 May 2003 by M. A. Jancey

3.0 out of 5 stars This is reasonably good.
Evanescence are obviously a pretty talented band, the playing on this is decent, the vocals are among the best I've heard. Amy's voice seems to add to each of the songs, providing and epic sound to each track.
Unfortuanately, this effect is over used. Where the album falls down, is that there is too little variation between the songs, and most of it seems to be a...
Published on 7 Jun 2004 by ashleygrump

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply a great album, 11 May 2003
M. A. Jancey (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
It's very rare that I find an album which leaves me completely bowled over on first listen, but Evanescence's "Fallen" is one such release. From the punkish rock of "Going Under" to the gothic-inspired "Whisper", this album never hits a bad note. Evanescence were promoted as a Christian band during their early days and those origins are clear on tracks like "Tourniquet", but don't let that put you off; "Fallen" is a great collection of songs seemingly influenced by almast every genre of music - rock, nu-metal, gothic, classical, punk and even a hint of pop.
Vocalist Amy Lee has one of those voices that only comes along once in a while; haunting, beautiful and melodic. She manages to make every track her own, but really excels on the two ballads "My Immortal" and "Hello". Backed with little more than a piano she is able to demonstrate her full vocal dexterity, and sent shivers down my spine in the process. Meanwhile, on "Bring Me To Life" she is the perfect antithesis to guest singer Paul McCoy's (lead singer of 12 stones, another fantastic group) gravelly, rough voice.
The music itself is no less wonderful. Guitars, drums, keyboards, synthesisers and even violins work in harmony to create highly atmospheric pieces like "Haunted" and "Imaginary". Basically Evanescence are the perfect musical combination; everything comes together in order to make eleven stand-out tracks that will often leave you awestruck.
Some reviewers have compared the group to Linkin Park, but look beyond that and you'll find that Evanescence are so much more. This album will be staying in my CD player for a long, long time...

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud but calming, 10 Aug 2005
Matt Graubner "blackwolff" (Kentucky, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Okay, I know I'm strange, but not only has this album been a favourite of mine for several years, but I found it great study music while I was in college. I can still put it on and just listen for a couple hours while I read or work on a project, occasionally listening closely to some of the lyrics (as I am doing now). In all this time the songs have grown familiar, but not old. Rather they are like old friends that I frequently want to visit.
I appreciate that nearly every word on the CD is understandable. I like this genre of music, but dislike those artists that feel the need to unintelligibly scream nearly every word. Sure there were a couple places I wasn't sure until I looked up lyrics on-line--but that would be true with almost anything.
Really it is hard to describe the tracks, except to say that they're different, but all good. No Amy Lee's voice doesn't sound radically different in each track, but you can find something different about each, be it the message, the tone, or just the beat. The collection works together to snythesize one coherent whole. Yes, a bit dark, but more enjoyable than depressing.
I never heard any of these songs overplayed on the radio, so any saturation is due to my own choice of playing the CD--and I've not reached that point yet. If you haven't checked this group out then give them a chance, especially if you enjoy the samples Amazon provides to listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars evenescence - fallen, 28 Nov 2006
Ms. N. Boden "04nbod" (merseyside,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
remember back in 2003 when 'bring me to life' was never off the radio but you still loved it well this album will take you back to that time. Every song on this album is great and is relistenable. From strong rock to melodic tunes this has it all. In hindsight, listening to their new effort 'the open door' you realise how great this album is. it has a pace and a drive 'the open door' doesn't have. the song are different from each other so you want to keep listening you never know what the next track will be like.

i would recommend this to anyone. i got this in 2003 and it has been a firm favourite in my CD player ever since

5.0 out of 5 stars A Record To Dominate Your CD Player!, 16 Mar 2003
J. Dunn (Leicestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Yep, like pretty much everyone else, I saw Daredevil and my ears pricked up when Evanescence appeared on the soundtrack. How could they not? Those two songs are a standout and probably the best things on it. I initially thought of Tori Amos when the piano opened both songs, and then thought Amy Lee's voice sounded quite like Beth Gibbons, particularly on "My Immortal".
I worried that perhaps "Bring Me To Life" and "My Immortal" were going to be the best tracks on Fallen too and the rest would be a disappointment, but I got a pleasant surprise!
I'm not going to do a track-by-track breakdown, partly because it's too difficult. Every song is so great, the music rocks without being too stodgy or cumbersome, Amy Lee's voice has great range, power, warmth, and beauty. The lyrics are brilliant and precise, with some you'll want to use as screen savers or personal mottos ("Don't want your hand this time, I'll save myself" -- "How can you see into my eyes like open doors?" -- "And if you have to leave, I wish that you would just leave because your presence still lingers here, and it won't leave me alone" -- "I linger in the doorway or alarm clock screaming monsters calling my name" -- "Hello, I'm your mind giving you someone to talk to" -- "Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken" -- "I know you hear me, I can taste it in your tears" -- "I know I can stop the pain if I will it all away... if I will it all away...".
I like the album for many reasons, especially the little contradictions, like how it sounds new and youthful and optimistic, and yet gothic and dark in places. In a world of male singers with screeching guitar riffs in the background, it's totally refreshing to hear a beautiful female voice soaring over and through it. Somehow it just feels right!
I love the grand touches, that turn what might otherwise be a nice but unremarkable song into something epic. It happens everywhere, noticeably for me in "Imaginary". Choirs, orchestras, strings... Oh yes! It leaves you begging for more, and you can see why their music lends itself so well to being used in a movie score.
The first six tracks grab attention immediately, but the remaining five grow on you very quickly, particularly "Hello" and "Whisper" for me. Incidentally, "Hello" has one of those checking-to-see-you're-not-dead moments, where the vocals put a shiver all the way through you like a blade and seem to pierce the heart while it's at it. You'll know what I mean when you hear it ~ the hairs on the back of your neck will definitely stand up!
I bought this CD for myself, and had to get two more for my friends! They love it as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the year so far..., 18 May 2003
B. Boyle "benjboyle" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Onh my God! I bought this album three days ago after hearing Bring me to Life on the radio and was blown away as soon as I put it in the CD player in the car, in fact it's been transferred to the CD player in the office, the car and the house. About the only time it hasn't been on is when I've been sleeping :)
So what can I say? This isn't my usual musical bag but there's just something about Amy Lee's voice that makes me tingle every time I hear it. I'd like to say that there's at least one filler track on this disc but I can't - every one is a gem, were I forced to choose then at the moment I'd have to count "Everybody's Fool" and "My Immortal" as my favourites but it seems to change whenever I listen to the disc. The nu-metal bass line, Amy Lee's haunting vocals, classical strings and power guitar riffs combine to make this a serious contender for a top spot in my CD collection for years to come. How the hell Evanescence haven't had a major record label snap them up before now is anyone's guess - all I can say is thank God for Daredevil :)
Buy this album, buy it now, you will *not* be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best band I've heard., 4 Jun 2003
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I heard of Evanescence through a friend and just on the merit of 'Bring me to Life' I bought the album. It is fantastic! The thing that makes their music so heart-rending and totally addictive is their sincerity. They obviously live their music and every single word is really meant. So many teen-angst and boy bands strive to do the same thing but fail because they don't mean what they're singing. Evanescence really mean it and this is what sets them well apart from the competition.
The songs are all so different it is hard to classify them as any particular genre of rock music but tracks like Whisper, Bring Me to Life and Going Under really bring it home that that's where their roots lie. My Immortal and Hello define the clear talent of Amy Lee and the vocals soar above beautiful piano melodies throughout the album. Personally my favourite track is 'Haunted' but 'My Last Breath' and 'Whisper' come close seconds and the album is so diverse that everyone I know has a different favourite.
All I can say is that this is the best CD in my collection and I can't stop listening to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite cd in the history of...errr.... ever?, 6 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Oh my god. How amazing is this record? I bought this album ages ago, im definitely past the honeymoon period with it, but it still love it to bits! Usually with some albums you have it in your cd player for a week then you get bored. This never happened and a month later its still there!
This record has an incredible mix of Amy Lee's amazing voice, orchestral and rock elements. Amy's voice is the best in contemporary music by far. Tracks like My Immortal and Hello are definitely the slower ones, but that doesnt make them boring in the slightest.
If you would like a measure of how brilliant the album is then just listen to bring me to life. Obvoiusly all the tracks are different, but the standard remains the same. A good tip is visit their website. Quite an obvious i suppose, but you can hear song clips there.
Give this album a try, i promise you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD will blow your mind, 9 Mar 2003
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I heard evanescence for the first time on the radio and became instantly addicted to the band, or more specifically, the voice of the lead singer. Amy Lee, the lead vocalist, has one of the most angelic, beautiful voices I have honestly ever heard in my life- I almost wish she had auditioned for American Idol since she would clearly outperform any of the people who are currently on the show and probably get more publicity than evanescence is getting at the moment. Anyways, the CD 'Fallen' is amazing- I was surprised at myself at first because it is so different from what I usually listen to (classic rock- pink floyd, led zeppelin, beatles, etc.) I had never really heard anything worth listening to on modern rock radio stations until I heard 'bring me to life' for the first time. The band shows incredible versatility in their music- some songs have a heavier rock edge with more instrumentals and guitar and others are softer with piano as the only instrument accompanying vocals. Overall the band generates a sound that is unique and unbelievable, and the lead singers voice is like nothing I'd ever heard. The song 'bring me to life' has gotten the most airplay on the radio due to its catchy and nearly perfect combination of incredible vocals and heavier instrumentals, however the album has many other great tracks- 'My Immortal', 'Going Under,' 'Everybodys Fool,' and 'Hello' to name a few that stood out in my opinion, but honestly there is not one track that stands out as being that much worse than any other. And also, most people would most likely be relieved to find that there is only one song on the cd that leans toward the 'christian rock' genre, a direction which the band fortunately decided not to take. I highly recommend this cd to anyone- regardless of what you listen to, you should check this out, however, there are websites where you can listen to the tracks before you buy the cd- like evanescence.com so you might want to do that just to make sure. Otherwise just buy it, honestly the best 11 bucks I've spent in a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 14 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Evanescence has been, until recently, hiding in the shadows. They have three other albums, Evanescence EP, Sound Asleep/Whisper EP, and Origin. These albums were considered rough, and very few copies of the first two albums were made.
Fallen, however, is perfect. Amy Lee's voice is probably the most stunning voice you will ever hear, along with Miss Aguilera's in my opinion. Here are some reviews of each song on Fallen.
1. Going Under: A brilliant start to the album. The song goes straight into Amy's voice, with a guitar behind it. From what I remember, Going Under is about coming out of a bad relationship. This is the second single from the album.
2. Bring Me to Life: Way overplayed. The first single is one that should be remembered as Evanescence's rise to fame. Also used in the Daredevil soundtrack.
3. Everybody's Fool: A cool song, with brilliant lyrics. This song is the most recent single from Evanescence, and is about pop stars, and how they're plastic models.
4. My Immortal: Also overplayed. My Immortal is a beautiful piano ballad, which sounds better than the original one. If you have seen or heard My Immortal on the radio or the music channels, you will surprised to see there are no guitars. This is strictly a piano/strings piece (and vocals)
5. Haunted: True to its name, Haunted sounds haunting, and is probably one of the more gothic songs on the album. This is one of the best in my opinion. The guitars just make it Haunted
6. Tourniquet: Suicide written from a Christian's point of view. May creep a few people out with the lyrics 'I want to DIE!' But it's suicide. Again, Amy's voice makes this song bril!
7. Imaginary: Amazing lyrics. It's amazing how much this song has changed since it was first heard on Evanescence EP as a beautiful slow song. This starts from Tourniquet, and is simply beautiful. It sounds so dream like.
8. Taking Over Me: Starts with a piano, and is then joined by guitars. Taking Over Me is a song about love. The story is self-explanatory: the girl (I won't say Amy) is in love with someone, but they barely even notice her. Eventually, this person takes over the girl in her mind. Lovely.
9. Hello: Another piano ballad, Hello is a song about Amy's little sister. I won't go to into the story out of respect for Amy's family, but it is about death from a child's point of view. You must hear this. Amy's voice sounds haunting with the piano playing a sad tune behind her.
10. My Last Breath: How many good songs are there on this album? Plenty, but we're not talking about that. My Last Breath is, in my opinion, about death, and trying to talk to a loved one. Amy's voice makes this song amazing, as are the guitars. The lyrics are stunning. "I know you here me, I can taste it in your tears."
11 Whisper: My personal favourite, Whisper wastes no time in slamming into the guitars. I beat can always be heard. The Millennium Choir has been used in several occasions in this song, whether just humming, or singing the strong words of 'Servatis a Periculum, Servatis a Maleficum.' This translates into save us from danger, save us from evil. A must listen to.
I rate this album 100/100

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to try and save you some money..., 26 Nov 2003
J. Pouteaux "Jules" (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
For all you Evanesescence fans out there, you all know how amazing Fallen is. It's complete, filled with emotion, great lyrics and wonderful guitars riffs. So the prospect of getting your hands on an album with an extra track will appeal.
However, this extra track is in fact 'Farther away'. In my opinion this song is one of the best they've penned (and is even better live, i promise you). But paying nearing 30 for a track is a bit steep. If you want the extra song, go and buy the single of 'Bring me to Life', which actually has 'Farther away', as it's b-side. That way you only spend 4, instead of 30!

ARRAY(0xa526c12c)