on 7 March 2013
If The Avengers is the best ever television drama series then this is its greatest season. A visual and verbal delight with plenty of delightful extras.
on 14 May 2013
Cracking 60's series. really pleased with the product. The DVD set was accurately described including the slight damage to the box. Well chuffed.
on 15 April 2011
DVD is exactly what I hoped for when I ordered it. Faultless visual and sound quality. Non-fussy, user friendly disc with very little irrelevant material. "Trick" mode functions brilliant.Programmes' content reminds you of how good TV could be.
on 5 May 2015
was gonna buy on Blue Ray. but really the Remastered DVD is just as good.
Steed and Emma never looked so good.
The classic black & white teleplay adds' to the atmosphere of each episode.
The best episode for me ,is the Cybernalts' ,robotic killer's 'very scary stuff .and topical in today's world with all the man made intelligence we have today.could be coming true.,now that's a thought
on 25 February 2011
This is an update for my initial review (below).

Once the issue had been raised with Amazon they replaced the set WITHIN 24 hours! So a big pat on the back for them.

As to the set. Well, once established that it was bona fide I put them to the test. I remembered this series from viewing them as a 6 year old in the 1960's, and as one of my all time favourite shows expectations were high. I was not disappointed.

The episodes were viewed via a Pioneer Kuro 50", Denon blu-ray player, Onkyo 875 A/V receiver, and Naim Intro speakers.

The picture quality on these remastered discs is simply stunning. Superb clarity and definition which more than stand up to the examination that a 50" screen will give to a tv series recorded 45 years ago. Images are crisp and clean, even to the edges, the blacks & whites are well rendered, and so far I cannot find any digital processing residue.

The sound was as per the image clear n crisp. There is no trace of muffling, or sound fade. I played episodes in both stereo and mono modes, and to be honest I enjoyed both. (Discs are recorded in Mono 2.0)

As per some earlier reviews the box is attractive, but the individual dvd cases are feel cheap and plasticy, but thats a minor quibble given the quality of the discs themselves.

I'm now happy to change my review to 5 *****, a/ for the product, but also for the outstanding customer care from Amazon.

****PREVIOUS POST****
Anyone wishing to purchase this Series Four set be very careful. On arrival the cardboard jacket had been damaged and a cheap plastic used to reseal the package. On opening each disc case I found that there were indeed 7 discs, however, as they were only numbered 1 to 3 they didnt run with the episode guide on the jacket. The episodes were mixed on the discs and were different from the running order, and to add to the confusion I had to manually find each episode running order by placing it in the player and finding which episode belonged in what box. Because the episode guide was wrong, that inevitable meant that some episodes were in the wrong boxes anyway! I examined the actual discs and found that they were produced by some company called Contender Entertainment Group. Picture & Sound quality were poor despitr remastering.

As these discs are advertised as being supplied by Optimum Classic I rang their London office and was told that they had never heard of the aforementioned company, and to treat the discs as possible pirated copies.

I've contacted Amazon and await their reply.

BE WARNED
on 15 December 2010
I've been waiting for ages for the Avengers to come out on DVD. I had most of the collection on video but cleared that out ages ago. It was well worth the wait - it makes a massive difference having the whole series at once and in a coherent order (the videos, I once obsessively collected, seemed a bit haphazard). I'm afraid to admit that I prefer the Avengers after the arrival of Emma Peel, so I've started my collection there. This is cult TV at its best with top episodes like A Surfeit of H2O, The Gravediggers and Death at Bargain Prices. I have to admit finding the House that Jack Built quite scary. You can't pick a favourite episode from this lot - it's all good!

Patrick MacNee is brilliant, amusing and hugely entertaining as Steed and Diana Rigg is of course fantastic as super intelligent, karate expert Emma Peel. Their partnership in the Avengers is hugely entertaining. The entire series with vintage cars, fabulous sixties fashion and the weird and wonderful sinister plots, is just as watch-able now as ever. I wasn't born when this series was made but I've loved it since I first saw an episode repeated. As Steed would say, "Mrs Peel, we're needed" - they certainly are!
on 14 January 2012
This was exactly what I wanted, initially the wrong item was dispatched (possibly due to Christmas orders) but the returns service was excellent and the correct item was dispatched and reached me only a few days later than expected. I am very satisfied with the service
on 12 April 2015
A must for The Avengers fans. Perfect sound and picture!
on 12 August 2013
Fabulus, fabulous and fabulous. Bought this because for me Diana Rigg was the best Emma Peel. Watched it about 3 times since and still love this series.
on 7 October 2010
Great price and service for this new release. Much cheaper than elsewhere. Would recommend.The Avengers - Series 4 [DVD] [1966]