5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST SERIES OF THE AVENGERS JUST GOT THAT BIT BETTER
With the introduction of Diana Rigg as Emma Peel, AvengerLand moved from the clunky and shaky world of videotape to the bright and gleaming format of celluloid for its triumphant fourth series shown during 1965 and 1966. Together, John Steed and Emma Peel conquered the globe when THE AVENGERS became one of the first British TV series to be given a coast-to-coast network...
Published on 12 July 2010 by Mr. L. F. G. Ballinger

3.0 out of 5 stars CHEAP NASTY SLIMLINE CASES SNAP AND DISLODGE & DAMAGE THE DISCS
Giving this a 3 star due to my discs getting damaged due to the cheap and nasty slimline cases. These ones that Optimum use only have three prongs and snap causing the DVDs to become damaged because of it. These are the sort of cheap cases one would expect to find in a pound shop! These sets aren't cheap so why do Optimum use these cheap cases instead of using quality...
Published on 1 Dec 2010 by KM WHITEHOUSE

5.0 out of 5 stars "Mrs Peel, we're needed", 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
I've been waiting for ages for the Avengers to come out on DVD. I had most of the collection on video but cleared that out ages ago. It was well worth the wait - it makes a massive difference having the whole series at once and in a coherent order (the videos, I once obsessively collected, seemed a bit haphazard). I'm afraid to admit that I prefer the Avengers after the arrival of Emma Peel, so I've started my collection there. This is cult TV at its best with top episodes like A Surfeit of H2O, The Gravediggers and Death at Bargain Prices. I have to admit finding the House that Jack Built quite scary. You can't pick a favourite episode from this lot - it's all good!

Patrick MacNee is brilliant, amusing and hugely entertaining as Steed and Diana Rigg is of course fantastic as super intelligent, karate expert Emma Peel. Their partnership in the Avengers is hugely entertaining. The entire series with vintage cars, fabulous sixties fashion and the weird and wonderful sinister plots, is just as watch-able now as ever. I wasn't born when this series was made but I've loved it since I first saw an episode repeated. As Steed would say, "Mrs Peel, we're needed" - they certainly are!

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING PICTURE AND SOUND, 29 Aug 2010
Carl Haugland (SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
I am absolutely amazed by the stunning picture and sound quality of this set. I have a Sony tv and dvd system and also have HD TV and cannot in all honesty see any marked differences in the picture quality. Can't wait for the next set. Oh and love the 'extras' too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easter Eggs, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
For anyone who hasn't yet found the "hidden extras" on this superb restored Optimum Series 4 set, they're both in the Special Features menus of Discs 2 and 7. Keep pressing the up/down arrows until you see Steed's hat and then select it to see a June 1967 on-set report from Return Of The Cybernauts with a brief interview with Patrick (Disc 2), and a restored 1966 film made in Germany starring Diana called "The Diadem" (colour and B&W) (Disc 7).

There are also "hidden extras" on the previous sets too:-

Set 2 - disc 8 (Leonard White reads a letter from Patrick Macnee).
Set 3 - disc 1 (details not known).

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be amazed, 6 July 2010
S. Turner "simon" (Timperley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
I was a huge Avengers fan in the 80s when Channel 4 repeated them. This release is superb. The picture quality is outstanding and considering the material is 45 years old and has perhaps not been stored as well as a Hollywood blockbuster from the time, we are v lucky to have it. There are a terrific set of extras, some to interest the devotees of the series and others for the more casual viewer. I would love to see a Blu Ray transfer and at some point we will. In the meantime, enjoy anew this series with its witty dialogue, over the top villains and marvellous performances from actors you will see on British TV again and again in the 60s and 70s (John Le Mesurier, Peter Wyngarde and Patrick Mower. There have been delays in the production of this DVD and others in the series but apart from a couple of small typos, it is an example of gettings things right eventually rather than rushing dvds out and them having to be recalled. I can't wait for series 5 & 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb series in any format, including Beta, 25 April 2010
Fredric A. Cooper "Hollies fan" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
Let's not become ninnies when we're talking about The Avengers. The series has been released on every format except laserdisc. No matter how you view it, The Avengers is a series that needs to be seen, technical quality issues aside. DVD is not a dead format. Remember Quad? (which died because it was determined that nobody had 4 ears), Beta? VHS? We lived with all those and doubtless there will be more ahead. Blu-ray may fall the way of the laserdisc. We don't know yet. I do know that I will be viewing and enjoying The Avengers regardless. Back in the 1980s I taped all of the episodes onto Beta videocassettes from 3 A.M. local TV station showings in New York. That suited me fine. DVD is a marvel and also suits me fine. When and if Blu-ray discs of The Avengers become available, I will no doubt spring for a machine and buy those too. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This new and truly definitive release of the super-secret agent series is superb all the way and deserves 100% of our support, and a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Avengers Series 4, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent - takes me back to the 60's - especially Death at Bargain Prices - I'm sure that was the old Dickens & Jones dept store! One episode where picture and sound out of sync - but otherwise all good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Avengers Reborn, 28 April 2014
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
The Avengers, series 4 is where the series really becomes a TV classic. Now shot on film, and with the amusing (and romantic?) interplay between Steed and Emma Peel the surreal dramas become unique unmissable entertainment. The DVD collection is superb with each episode reproduced in crystal clear perfection. A gem from the 60s, the golden age of television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undiluted Nostalgia, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
There can't have been a more stylishly crafted drama series of its era. Living near Borehamwood as I did at the time, there was always the added thrill of spotting familiar locations - both my sister's and my own schools cropped up periodically.
Can anyone advise which box set contains an extra feature detailing the most used locations?

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-living the halcion days of quirkily brilliant British 60's TV, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
The Avengers with Diana Rigg and Patrick MacNee set the standard for quirky brilliantly creative British TV. From the SciFi genius of Cybernauts and Man eating plants from deep space to the demonic excesses of The Hellfire Club. And then there are the leather jump suits :) :) and the champagne :) :)
Awsome

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 July 2012
Mr. B. K. Edmunds "Brian_E" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD] (DVD)
These are exactly how I remember The Avengers and a trip down (distant) memory lane for me. The picture quality is very good considering its age while the stories are unusual and exciting. Add to that, the eccentricity of many of the characters, the great mood music, the humour and you have a recipe for great entertainment. The stories seem much more creepy as well in black and white, so for me, overall, this has to be the best series.

The Avengers - Series 4* Digitally Remastered [DVD]