Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 17 March 2002
This is my ultimate desert island disc.
For my money, it's the best Kimbrough CD.
This is slow, hypnotic, dirge blues.
Intense, introspective.
It's blues alright, but it's also unlike any blues I've ever heard before.
You'll lose yourself in the relentless, heavy rhythms. You'll find consolation in this music.
on 26 August 2014
My first introduction to Junior Kimbrough was a recommendation in a guitar magazine. I`d never heard of the guy before. This album, recorded live in his juke joint is quite possibly the rawest, most elemental blues you will ever hear, warts and all and the better for it.
He recorded his first album at 62 and died five years later leaving this and two or three other albums as his legacy. I can only say that if you want to hear blues as it should be played then this album will come as a revelation. Highly recommended.
on 5 January 2015
Junior Kimbrough, on vinyl, slurp....
on 29 November 2015
Great blues.
on 24 June 2015
excellent
on 9 September 2008
I bought this CD on the basis of the review by A.Customer

I'm a big blues fan and new to the music of Jr. Kimbrough, this record was a massive disappointment.

The playing is simply low quality, the band sound like they are paying different songs at one point.

Kimbrough's tone is great and his touch on the Les Paul shows all the nuance that you would expect from a quality blues guitarist. However, it's the ideas behind the `sounds' where this music falls flat. To often a musical phrase is started and never finished. I understand Subtlety but you also have to deliver the goods, check out Lightnin Hopkins or Gilmore for timing and taste.

The riffs are one dimensional, they show promise, and then don't actually develop into anything meaningful. The same is true of the majority of the lead breaks

Various band members miss chord changes, the bass and drums are the only constant.

I will think twice before listening to any more Kimbrough.