4.0 out of 5 stars Z-523 Compact Subwoofer (With a Punch)
Published on 31 Mar. 2010 by a01910

1.0 out of 5 stars Loads of Bass, Not Much Else
I bought these for my son. Originally I tried the Z323 but they were too weak. The Z523 are a big improvement in power, the problem is that the bass is huge and the satellites simply can't deliver enough treble and middle to keep up.

The bass has to be turned down really low, barely off zero.

Overall, I am quite disappointed. I own the earlier...
Published 22 months ago by Nigel Heather

4.0 out of 5 stars Z-523 Compact Subwoofer (With a Punch), 31 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)
Well, I'm not a mad test freak but having experiences with both the X-240 and Z-4 beforehand, I realised purchasing the Z-523's was certainly a lucrative decision because besides their slick look and compact subwoofer they combined both the punch of the X-240's (due to the downward firing driver) and the "boom bass" sound that the Z-4's possess (for those of you who have either one of these speakers).

In comparison to it's Logitech counterparts (X-240 and Z-4) the Z-523's are both louder and clearer and provide more than deep enough bass for your average listener. I was actually shocked at how deep the bass was because the subwoofer is only 3/4 of the size of the Logitech Z2300s. In addition, considering the price, the Z-523's are definitely a worthwhile investment, they really do provide good clarity for such a compact system.

Furthermore, installation couldn't be easier, it certainly has fewer cables than the Z-4 and Z2300 and in addition the volume and bass dials are mounted onto the right side speaker for easy control and this lessens the number of cables lying around. The Z523's work particularly well just as a music system but perform exceptionally well for movies and at enhancing your gaming experience (PS3) (you'll find you only need the bass up to half way max).

One main concern was the omnidirectional sound being a gimmick. In my opinion, they do provide you with slightly more rich dynamic sound and they do widen the "sweet spot". However they are in no way a substitute of your average 5.1 surround system and considering this is one of their main selling points, I feel the sound from the satellites could have been louder and a little more crispier.

I definitely would recommend these to anyone who wants a decent 2.1 system that gives the most bang per buck. Of course if you have slightly more to splash you could go with the Z2300's because these are some loud beasts.

Z2300 (Loud, THX certified)
Z523 (Good Sound Quality and decent bass for the price)
Z4 (good "boom bass" affect but not enough kick)
X-240 (Good kick but not very loud)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent PC Speakers, 2 Sept. 2013
W. Gibbs (Cambridge - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)
For what they cost these are very good PC speakers and for that they deserve 5 stars. Sound is clear and there's plenty of Bass both of which can be independently controlled.

Connecting them is very simple as all the cables are fitted to the L & R speakers and once in position are then connected to the Sub-woofer (which is clearly marked and as with all subs can be positioned anywhere convenient fairly close by), Finally there's a single 3.5mm jack to connect to the PC. There is no separate transformer for the speakers as that is incorporated in the Sub-Woofer which connects directly to the mains with the cable provided

I see in other reviews people saying they are not good as Hi-Fi speakers - well at this cost they wouldn't be. These are not out there to compete with the likes of Wilson Audio.

I also see others referring to hum - well my guess is that is just a case of positioning cables to make sure the mains cable isn't interfering with the speaker cables.

If it's good quality and fairly discrete PC speakers you're after at a reasonable price then these are just the job.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loads of Bass, Not Much Else, 31 May 2013
Nigel Heather (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)

The bass has to be turned down really low, barely off zero.

Overall, I am quite disappointed. I own the earlier model, the X-230, which produces far superior sound. The X-230 has a smaller sub-woofer, you still need to keep it down though. The big difference, is although both the X-230 and Z523 satellites has the same number and spec of speaker drivers, the X-230 has them both facing forward whereas, the Z523 has one forward and one back. They sell it as '360 Sound' meaning you can hear it equally from the front and the rear. The problem is these are usually on a desk against a wall. You are sat in front of them so you have two driver units firing at you and two firing into the wall, producing odd reflections at best, deadening the sound at worst (or annoying the neighbours if you live in a semi or terrace). So the old design has 4x 2" drivers pointing at you, and a smaller sub. The Z523 has 2x 2" drivers pointing at you, and a huge sub. As a result the X-230 sounds very good and easy to balance, the Z523 sounds extremely bass heavy with weedy middle and treble.

The Z523 is meant to be the improved replacement for the X-230 - in that, Logitech failed.

Wish I had hunted down an X-230 set on eBay instead.

The Z523 is okay, though I didn't pay anything like the £70 as I bought a refurbished set. At £70 I'd say there are much better alternatives.

Actually the more I listen them compared with my X-230 the more rubbish they sound. So I'm dropping from 2 stars to 1 star. I really couldn't recommend these at all.

At £70 really don't buy these there is much better to be had - the Creative T20 for example are currently £17.50 cheaper and will sound a whole lot better - wish I had bought the T20s or some 2nd hand X-230s.

Cheers,

Nigel

3.0 out of 5 stars Left Speaker to Bass Connection, 28 Mar. 2011
M. Brown - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)
I bought this a few months ago and since I've got it, the left speaker cable that connects to the bass must have a faulty connection as occasionally the sound comes through the left speaker, but most of the time it doesn't and I have to fiddle with the cable at the back. But when I do that, the left speaker cuts out after a few seconds. When it does finally work, a tiny bit of bass in a song happens or a explosion in a game which stops the sound coming through the left speaker. It would have been a lot easier if the left speaker was internally connected to the bass or to the right speaker instead of being a separate connection.
So that is the reason for the 3 stars. The sound quality is amazing and the bass is really good but if you turn it's volume up to loud, it gets a bit muffled but it perfectly fine and a good vibration at a low volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Speakers!, 22 Jan. 2011
Farzana A. Karim "Anam" (Dhaka, Bangladesh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)
The speakers are excellent, specially the subwoofer. It pumps so much power! It is really excellent. The only problem I have it that one of the speakers is near my wireless router and it makes popping noise when I start downloading stuff from the internet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Power and good sound quality at a budget price, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)
After reading just a couple of reviews on this product my aracnid senses told me that it was exactly what I was looking for. Certainly, if I was rich like Mr. Beckham I'd wear every day a new pair of underwear shorts, or maybe not, but as it was the case I had to put a limit to my purchase, less than a hundred pounds, and the z523 seemed to be the ideal choice. I think it will be yours too if you're not looking forward to spend a small fortune but still want to have a good sound experience. In my opinion, the Logitech z523 sounds superb. Not being a musician or an Cnet expert, my ears just know what they hear, and they've heard a lot of music before, of all kinds. This sounds much better than all the speakers I've played music with before. And yes, the subwoofer is indeed a monster that needs to be tamed, unless your idea of enjoying music is blasting your ears away with endless D&B tunes, that is. Along with the bass, the 360 sound will provide a lot of quality to your listening experience, but if you're concerned about the excessive power of the subwoofer there's a way to bring down a bit its impetuosness: My HP Pavilion, like many pc's nowadays in the market, uses Realtek High Definition Audio, which is packed with lots of sound filters and options, and a small but very practical equalizer that you can use to adjust the bass notes that come out of the sub. You can find it under the volume properties, in the taskbar. You could also play a bit around with the equalizer options of VLC, just an idea. As for myself I won't put the bass knob of the right speaker further than the 9 o clock mark. This speaker system fills my room with a nice, enveloping sound, and it does what it says on the tin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black, 22 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)
The System arrived and i set it up very Quickly and it looks nice as Logitech things tend to look quite nice
I was dissapointed i had to buy a lead so i could use the speaker system into my av in sockets red and white sockets although £1:79 of Amazon was cheap but for that cost they could include one
The system and the bass seems fine its just the volume does not seem very good
It has a good bass response on the Bass speaker and the sattalite speakers sound fine
If the volume level could be turned up more id be very happy and give it a 5 star rating
The rerason i rated it a 3 star is
No 3.5 Jack lead
Volume control not good
All round id recommend the speakers as a good buy Ordered the 18th June In my house fitted on the 22 June Good delivery as well although the Amazon Box was falling apart on the outside but ive made them aware
All in All Thanks Amazon Thanks Logitech
Im happy with the Purchase just wish i could increase the volume range
[ASIN:B002MHYQJA Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black]]

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)
These are an absolute bargain! If your looking for a cheap-ish se of speakers for you laptop or TV or whatever these are spot on. I bought them for my laptop and they are spot on, I was really surprised just how good the bass is, and the wires are really quite long, so if you've got the space then you can spread them out. I've got them in a corner all together and they're perfect for what i wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, If its what your after, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)
This is product is great for:

BASS , Its incredily overbalanced towards Bass due to the massive subwoofer drowning out the small 360 sats.
360 Sound, the sats have great sound although it bounces off walls it fills my room with ease.

This product is not so good for:

Audiophiles, Its not the best sound quality and it can sound a bit tinny from the sats.

Overall view, if your looking to play Dubstep or DnB or anything that sounds good with a LOT of bass then yes buy these, But use them as part of a sound system. If you have a a very large room your sats will be too small to make it loud enough if you listen to loud music.

These are perfect for people who like bass and loud noises if your room is of medium/small size. Its a bargain for the price and trust me the bass will make you shake.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good when it works well., 23 July 2013
This review is from: Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black (Electronics)
This is a good sound system, and I strongly recommend it again and again.
Three years on, it is still a crisp source of sound. I couldn't remember when I purchased it, I had to look into my purchase history to recall.
The only issue i have since last year, that is two years afer continuous use, is that the right speaker stopped working. I tried everything, but it seems there is no solution out there for that. Some people experience that silent speaker earlier than I did.

Logitech is not of much help really. My attempts at solving it showed me that the problem is the right speaker plug the culprit.

Let's stress that even with the left speaker and the sub woofer "only" you still get fantastic sound. Buy in confidence. And when the time comes to go with one speaker less, it is still a great buy.

Logitech Z523 Speakers - Black