Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 March 2013
I've got to be honest here. I bought this as a gift, mainly for the fact that it had the Arpeggione Sonata on it. It is a lovely piece (originally written for arpeggione as the name suggests...) that has been rewritten for our more typical string instruments. I especially favour the first movement, it is wonderfully light and fresh and Peter Wispelway does Schubert justice by keeping the tone innocent and pure whilst conveying it through immense skill. When choosing a recording, I did at first debate whether to go for the Rostropovich and Britten recording however it was too 'romanticised' for my liking. I feel the pairing between Wispelway and Giacometti is very compatible and they work beautifully together without either musician overpowering the other.

The recipient of the CD had actually been eyeing up this particular recording of the Arpeggione Sonata (unbeknownst to me!) since having heard it recommended on a Radio 3 episode of 'Building a Library'. I think this CD showcases some of Schubert's lesser known works (the Duo in A is also lovely) and I am sure it would be enjoyed by any cello or Schubert lover!
on 25 April 2010
Pieter Wispelwey's and Paolo Giacometti's new Schubert recording is absolutely incredible. Not only does it take cello playing to new heights, but also delights with inspired interpretations of two of Schubert's substantial violin works. Giacometti works magic on the fortepiano, and Wispelwey's musical instincts are matched only by his super-human facility. His articulation and phrasing are unique and give these works exquisite clarity and beauty. The duo's virtuosity is but a means to an end: bringing new life and understanding to these beloved works. This is a must-have for lovers of Schubert, the fortepiano, the cello, the violin, and music.