on 17 March 2010
This is a must have boy's toy.

If you like gadgets and technology, this is your dream toy.

You can manually tap the colour wheel on the remote to choose any colour you like. You can also vary the brightness and affect the hue and so produce pastel or deep colours. Finally you can put it into auto mode and it cycles through all the colours slowly or quickly.

I have the new model which is supposed to be brighter than the 2009 model; it is quite bright, but not bright enough to light a room, but it is good enough for background lighting.

My advice is, do not buy the mini model as it does not have the remote.

It is expensive, and probably more expensive than it should be, but what a toy, I love it! Is it worth the price? Yes if you like gadgets.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been looking for a lamp for quite a while to illuminate a corner at the top of the stairs and decided on this after seeing it in a local store. The light emitted was stronger than I had anticipated it would be, even though I was viewing in a well lit store, so it seemed to be worth a shot. I am very pleased with the overall effect it produces.

* In the box

The lamp comes with a silk draw-string pouch, which seems a little superfluous given I imagine most people would have a particular spot in which to place it permanently, but it will protect the lamp surface from scratches if you intend to store it in a cupboard between uses. You also get a remote control, which incorporates a colour touch wheel, on/off switches, light intensity and colour saturation controls. It takes three AAA batteries, which are supplied.

* Noise

I noticed a slight hum when I switched the lamp on but only whilst trying to position it for optimal light effects and could hear nothing subsequently when I moved a small distance away (a metre or so). My partner is particularly sensitive to anything that beeps, hums etc and has not been distracted by this at all or even commented that it makes a noise. The hum is probably something that you would hear if you sat right next to the lamp in a quiet room but otherwise I doubt it would be a distraction.

* The Colours

It is possible to refine the colours produced from pastel to very intense shades and the colour wheel allows you to select one particular shade or a scrolling range through the spectrum to suit your mood. These features are really what made the light stand out from others I have seen.

* Light Intensity

The instructions guide that the lamp is best placed about 50 cm away from the wall and, from that position, the lighting effects really do extend a long way. My landing was illuminated along its entire length as well as down the stairs and it created a very pleasing effect. The light emitted by the lamp is adequate for lighting a room atmospherically (or a landing, as we have done). It does not promise to provide the same level of illumination as a 100 watt light bulb but delivers a hugely varied spectrum of colours that can be muted or intensified as the mood suits.

If you like to always have bright lighting in your home then this is probably not for you but if you prefer to use lamps in the evening with a more muted overall effect then this is something that is certainly worth considering.
on 17 March 2011
Very nice lamp, great controller.
But when I saw it for the first time I was a bit disappointed because of it's size, it a bit smaller than I expected, it is approximately 15x20x15cm. Which doesn't affect performance of the device at all, this is just my personal opinion.
Perfomance:
My room (white walls) approximately 4x5m is fully covered with colour, when lamp is standing on table facing the room. and yes, it does make very small amount of noise(bzzz)(if you are alone, nobody talking and you are close to it)
on 16 March 2011
philips livingcolour lamps realy are stylish, the product i purchased from amazon is the gen 3 type which does not emit the noise i read about in other reviews about the lamps, the lamp gave us so many option in highlighting areas of our living room and really makes the room comfortable and warm so much so i bought another one a week later, briil product
on 28 January 2011
The remote is the edge of the mountain.
You can turn light to blue in the night if you don't want to disturb your bartner, turn off te light, then go to bathroom, and then turn on to return bed.
Or if you are in the righr mood, turn the light to red and go fluffering.

Others color are also beautiful, but these two are my favourites.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Looking like something out of an alien spaceship this mood light from Philips is great fun to play around with! About the size of a small goldfish-bowl it can be hidden away in an alcove or dark corner as all the functions are accessed from the remote control.

Very intuitive to use the remote control can turn the unit on and off and control the colour intensity, contrast and brightness. The colour can be changed by touching the part of the rainbow-shaded colour ring corresponding to your choice, or constantly changing colours can be chosen. Not really very bright this lamp is for low intensity mood lighting only and should be pointed to reflect off a wall for best effect.

Not cheap, by any means, it is quite difficult to see where your money has gone with this product - and many retailers sell this for a lot more than Amazon do! However, if you decide to buy one you will probably love it. I am struggling to give it four stars at the price - but I will because I really like it!
on 12 February 2010
What a great shame!

The effects that this LivingColour mood lamp can produce are great, no question about it. I can also see that with multiple lamps, you would be able to create a really great light wall experience, which is what I wanted to do. I would like to have bought three or four down the line.

The product itself is a neat design, clean, small and light, lovely. The colour's are bright and vibrant and easily controlled via the remote.

So why am I returning mine after just one night out of the box? the answer is because of a low pitch, constant buzzing noise when the lamp unit is turned to anything over half brightness.Something that has been reported by other users who bought this product.

I'm afraid this has been my experience with Philips products of late. I own an 11 year old Philips TV which is bomb proof, great picture..etc, but everything I have bought from them in the past five years has been terrible, it's either fallen apart or just plain faulty.

This LivingColour mood lamp is a great idea but the quality control at Philips is simply not their anymore and it'll be along time before I buy Philips again.

If you can put up with the buzzing noise, or you get one that doesn't have this problem I'm envious, you'll enjoy what you can do with it.
on 22 October 2010
If you're thinking about getting one of these just buy it. Stop delaying,,, life's too short.
I've one old generation and two new generation and they're great, I will never decorate the living room again cos the wife will never get bored with the way it looks. Every evening a new colour theme, great for the lazy type like me.
on 7 December 2011
The lamps are everything I expected, getting 2 or more and linking them up really helps to light up a room.

Service, communication and shipping was fast, accurate and I could not be happier.

If you are in 2 minds about buying these lamps or using this retailer then I would say go for it, you will not be disappointed.
on 4 January 2012
This is a great lamp for setting the atmosphere in a room. Almost every colour imaginable can be selected from the easy to use and robust remote. The intensity of the colours as well as brightness can be easly adjusted. As the light is projected of a wall it gives a nice even light that's great for watching telly.

See one answered question