5.0 out of 5 stars The best baby seat
Published on 17 April 2010 by A. Kirpichnikova

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons
I'll review the star rating after I've made use of it more.

Pros:
1.) Surprisingly it fit on My specialised Camber which has an almost flush headset
2.) It feels pretty well made, not sure why people have referred to its as flimsy
Published 9 months ago by Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars The best baby seat, 17 April 2010
A. Kirpichnikova (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
I've bought this seat and when it arrived it looked really small and strange. But once installed, I confirm that this is the most clever item I've seen. It is small, but only a bit bigger the seat would not allow me to ride safely and to control the bike and the baby fully. The back of the seat is not high, but I guess you are not going to put the baby who can't support her back yet on the bike. Also, feet support is comfy for riding. The front "soft table" is great, the baby can even sleep during the ride. Overall, I am sure that's the best option for safety, control and so on. I cannot say anything for my baby, but he bring his helmet to me, asking for a ride. I can also recommend to watch the video on the official weeride webpage.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best on the market, 11 July 2011
This review is from: WeeRide Classic Front Mounted Children's Safest Bike Seat, Ages 1-4 (Sports)
My lad is 18months old and tall for his age. He fits in the seat with no problem, all though I already have the footrests lowered as far as they can be I have no doubt at all that he will still fit it in 2 1/2 years time. The straps, although a tad fiddly, also fit him without issue and again (Due to the length provided) will see him through until 4yrs old. If you are saying the straps are not long enough you are either doing it wrong or have one hell of a big child.

Fitting the Bar isnt complicated but a tad fiddly again, My particular bike has a wide neck at the handlebars and where the neck goes thin is actually the turning part. I have attached it to this part and whilst it does tighten the steering if you do not tighten it up too much at the front it seems to work ok. It's not come off mid ride and doesnt need to be able to support a full grown African Elephant now does it!

The seat itself is a bit Placcy BUT!! if it wasnt like this it would be a big clunky, heavy seat which would kind of defeat the object. Its well made and perfect for the job. Someone mentioned riding with knees out!! Well slightly, I have the seat as far foward as it goes at the moment and sure my knees are slightly out...... so what! It's a minor adjustment to my riding style and lets be honest putting up with that is far better than using a backmounted seat.

To Finish, my lad absolutely loves going out on this (to the point I am stupidly fit now) and I am always getting remarks about it from other parents or jealous looks from those with back seats. I saw some poor child the other day in a back seat and her mother had a damn rucksack on....I felt so sorry for the kid I stopped the mother and told her to get one!!

UPDATE - My boy is now 3years and 3months. Quite tall for his age but slim, and still fits in the seat with problem. There is plenty of adjustment left in the Straps so if your child is well filled out there still shouldnt be a problem.

UPDATE 2 - Well, back again, he's now just over 3 and half and still fits in the Weeride with no issues. The straps still have plenty to give (he is rather slim) my only concern is the footwells, I'll elaborate - He's had them set at the lowest setting since he was 18months but a recent spurt (seems to be ongoing) means his knees are closing in on his ears lol so it looks a lot less comfortable for him (he doesnt seem to mind though). It should just just about last up to the four year mark but that may mean removing the headrest to accommodate his rather long legs, something I'd rather not do.

The seat and Bar themselves. Seat in mint condition, the structure is still solid and all parts working (it really is very well made!). The fitting bar, all fine. Some slight rusting on the nuts (thats what you get for leaving it outside for a few days!) but otherwise its stood the test of time.

Only negative is, over time I haste to add, the seat is slightly less stable. When tightened it used to sit rock solid but it has now, I believe, slightly stretched/bent the hard plastic of the seat and it does have a slight wobble, It's still perfectly safe! Just an observation that may be something to think about If you're thinking of passing this on to a family member or friend once you've finished with it.

FINAL UPDATE - Well the lad is finally 4 in three weeks time. He still fits the seat and, bar the slight wobble already mentioned above and the rusty nuts, its still in mint condition. The straps have weathered the test of time nicely and still have alot of space left should he have been even taller or more well built (He's very slim but around the 98th Percentile for height now... so he's as tall as an average 5yr old!)and the cushion/padding on the seat hasnt faded or worn away.
I must say this has to be the best product I think I've ever bought (sorry PS3, I do love you but WeeRide have played a blinder), its lasted the four years as promised, is still in fantastic condition and has provided years of bonding and fun for me and my son, if he'd had to spend all this time staring at my back I doubt either of us wouldve enjoyed this time anywhere near as much.
I would happily recommend this product to any parent, I'll be sad to see it go :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Baby Child Seat for Bikes!, 20 Aug. 2013
Sunil Malkani - See all my reviews
Bought the WeeRide Kangaroo from Amazon after much thought and research.

FIt and size - bike with drop bars
I was quite worried that it would not fit right as I have drop bars on my bike (can't remember but it's a medium frame - I'm 5'10"). It does say quite clearly that it's not designed to fit with drop bars as the ridding position leaves very little space for the seat + baby. I thought that, worst case, I'd get new bars.

However, the WeeRide fits just fine and does not change my ride position too much with the little one in. He was 10 months old when I got it, hes a year old now. It will certainly be an issue soon, once he grows a little bigger, but easy to solve by replacing with more upright bars.

Assembly
It's quite straight forward to put the WeeRide together. The key challenge is getting the horizontal support bar attached firmly to the bike - at the seat post and the headset riser (?) - the bit that does not turn with the handle bars. It took me about 25 minutes as it is a little fiddly to do by ones self, and also with a curious baby crawling about!
Tip: adjust the bar so that there's a little space between it and the top tube - especially where the baby seat screws in. At first I had it too close, and the screw that holds the seat onto the bar scratched the paint on the top tube (aargh - that hurt!)

Ride
The little one fits really well - he's still quite little so the foot wells are a little to big for him (even though they can be adjusted up and down) - he sometimes gets his feet out - but that's all right, I suppose, because his legs aren't long enough to get him into trouble yet, and the WeeRide sits solidly between him and the wheels / other moving parts. This will resolve itself in a month or two when he grows taller and fits into the foot wells correctly.
At first, I was very unsure about the headrest and found it quite gimicky. However, it's very well thought through - it keeps his little hands out of trouble - preventing him from reaching the handle bars - yanking or otherwise affecting steering. Also, now that he's fully comfortable on the bike, he routinely falls asleep (usually within 20 minutes of me riding) and uses the headrest - it's quite the sight! I was a little worried that the padding material on the headrest might cause skin irritation (he's got quite sensitive skin) - but that did not prove to be a problem at all - so well thought through. WeeRide

Design and Riding Position
I must admit that the seat is very well designed and thought through - the more you ride the more you appreciate the little engineering bits here and there that contribute to usability. The headrest, the way the harness straps can be adjusted from behind the seat (no need to get off the bike to loosen them a wee bit if he's stretched forward and got his head down) etc. Also the little curves, nips and tucks really do a good job of staying out of the way of the rider. That said, I find it quite difficult to keep my thighs parallel as the seat gets a little in the way. As a result, I have to angle my ankles inwards a little, and that puts pressure on my feet and causes fatigue at my ankles. not an issue with short rides, but I can see this being a barrier to riding more than 10-12 miles at a stretch. Maybe this can be resolved with new handle bars and a more upright position?

Getting the seat on and off
It's quite easy to remove the seat (the horizontal support bar stays on the frame) with just a single thumb screw - no tools required - 2 minute job. that's really handy when riding to work. However, the horizontal bar does add a bit of weight and if you're finicky will affect how your bike looks (it's a dull textured grey metal surface paint that looks very ordinary / industrial - I'd love for it to be a little better finished - maybe hi-gloss white for instance)

Final thoughts
This was a great purchase - super happy with it - really does what it says on the tin, and seems much better than other seats that mount at the back / on the handle bars. The key thing is that the little one really loves it and loves his time riding with daddy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Weeride Kangaroo Childrens bike seat, 20 Jun. 2011
This is one of the best things I have bought in a long time , my little guy loves it and I love it too , he just loves going out on it , he is right there in front of me and we can chat away while we are cycling along , he can even lean forward and go to sleep if he wants , if you are looking for a great way to spend some time with your child that you will both love and benifit from this is it. It arrived in less that 48 hours , it took about 5 minutes to put on , it's the only child seat I could find that would fit on my full suspension mountain bike , it actually saved me having to buy a different bike to put a child seat on , at first I thought the full suspension bike was a disadvantage but after getting this it has worked to our advantage as it make for a much more comfortable ride for both of us. Again I can't recommend this enough , we are getting to go places and see things that I never thought I would be going with a 3 year old passenger on my bike. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Seat For Children, 29 Nov. 2013
I had been looking for a childrens seat for some years where they could sit in front where I could see them and talk to them, so this was perfect.
Having being a mountain biker for over 17 years racing in the nationals as a sponsored rider both XC and DH I feel qualified enough to recommend the seat as a safe option for young children.
I use it for my 2 yo son and there is no way I believe it would be suitable for much over 3 years. The single bolt to fit the seat to frame seems a little minimal to think this is the only fitting to hold the plastic seat to the metal frame, and though it would be nice to have more it does the job and with being in front of me, if this did fail at least I can see my son to support him. I have this on my winter bike and have had to mount the front to the stem spacers but even though it is clamped around these they still turn freely. As for riding position, I thought I would be having sore knees and riding bow legged, especially using SPDs, but the position is fine and nowhere near as bad as some say, on long rides at full speed it would get a bit much, but I wouldn't do huge distances, ride at speed or ride on the road with a 2 yo anyway.

This is a great seat and my boy loves it, he fell asleep on it the first ride out, it means we can go out on family rides together safely, what more could you ask for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Also good for children over 3 years of age, 31 July 2014
I admit that I was very sceptical about this at first. I had been using a BoBike Mini, the classic of front mounted bike seats, for two years since our little one turned 9 months. It had been so enjoyable to have him sit in front, looking out together and chatting on our rides. Now three, he has outgrown the BoBike seat but I couldn't face the prospect of him having to sit in the back behind me and our common fun to end, and so was searching for alternatives that would add another year or so to the front seat experience. The WeeRide comes with a recommended age up to 4 years, and so I went for it. I have not been disappointed. Little one still fits in well at 3.5 years and will for several more months. He's about 1m tall now. The seat is sturdy enough and comfortable for him. He also likes the 'handle bar' to hold on to or lean on. So we continue our happy rides together (and little one no. 2 is using the BoBike with my wife).

The WeeRide is (against my expectations) a really excellent product. Installation was very simple and when riding I only have to bend my knees very slightly, which causes no discomfort at all and doesn't slow me down. The seat is easy to attach and take off, the foot rests are a good size and work well, and the plastic is sturdy. My only small gripe so far is that it would be nice if the padding of the headrest could be detached. Not only would it make cleaning easier, but also my son is trying to detach it during our rides, and once he succeeds I won't be able to put it back on.

Comparing the WeeRide with the BoBike Mini, which also is an excellent product, I would say that a) the BoBike takes up less space and is lighter, and saves weight by not needing the iron bar to attach the seat to, b) the BoBike turns with the handlebar which is nice, but I also found cycling around corners with the WeeRide no problem at all, c) the WeeRide comes with the handle bar / headrest which needs to be bought separately for the BoBike (I didn't buy it and little one fell asleep on my arms which made cycling 'interesting'), and d) the WeeRide takes children who have outgrown the BoBike.

In sum, I'm glad I had the BoBike and I'm very glad I have the WeeRide now.

4.0 out of 5 stars safer and far more interactive, 10 Aug. 2013
R. R. Humphry (UK) - See all my reviews
We've used this for well over a year now - my son is now 2 and a half and it has fitted him and my Specialised Cirrus just fine. I dont think it will stretch much above 3 years though so be wary of the manufacturers claims.

The seat is really easy to attach and the mount which attaches to the bike is strong. I disagree with other reviews that this is a flimsy product.

Yes, riding style is interesting - your knees will splay out but i have ridden many different bikes over varying distance and unless you are cycling over 10 miles i dont think this is a real issue. It will stop you from picking up pace - but hey, you have a little person on board right?

What is tricky, and my reason for not giving 5 stars is the act of getting on the bike - you have to swing your leg over from the back so it clears the saddle and you have to be really careful as you lower that leg on to the far pedal thatyou dont overbalance the bike. I use this really frequently and have never had a problem but you could lower the seat if this was an issue. For instance, i would not recommend this to older people or those with less mobility for this very reason.

My personal technique here is to rest the back of the knee of the leg i am swinging over on top of the saddle and then gradually sidle on.

The real positive here is being in communication withe your child - I would point things out to my son and we would comment ont he colours of cars as we drove past, he would call out whenever he saw a dog etc. They're pretty stimulated when they're on this and I found it agreat time to get a bit of a dialogue going.

Also, and this is perhaps obvious - you can SEE them. On top of that, your arms form a protective cage around them - what if the bike slips and they're on the back? the wee-ride gives me a great deal of reassurance and aside from the getting on thing, this seems much much safer

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SEAT FOR KIDS, 2 July 2010
I have just bought my second Weeride.
I am now using with my second child, and my first child is still in the seat on his fathers bike at just over 4.
Not sure how the 2.8 year old below couldnt fit in, as my son is on 98%ile on NHS scale.
When I first bought I was worried about size as it looks small, but as the company give a money back guarantee if they dont fit at 4, I stuck with it.
And I was glad I did. Sizing is no issue and it is so much fun.
It attaches to the bike frame and not the handlebars so feels so much safer.
And I much prefer having my kids in front of me.
Its not cheap, but worth it for 3 years use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons, 13 Aug. 2014
I'll review the star rating after I've made use of it more.

Pros:
3.) The steel bar mounting gives me plenty of confidence (you can remove the seat from the bar with a thumbscrew leaving the bar behind, On most bikes this would be unobtrusive, but for me the whole thing has to come off to enable me to go MTB'ing this is only the work of 5 minutes

Cons:
1.) I have a straight handlebar, this means that we are a bit squashed on the bike as I'm pulled forward and my chest is constantly banging his head, most MTB's have a straight bar so this would be common, My little one is small and only 18 months old
2.) I have to ride "legs akimbo" as my knees don't fit under the seat, its as far forward as it will go. This is tolerable though, I'm not going to be off on any hard riding
3.) It says up to 4 years old but with a caveat of 15kgs, WHO health charts show that 15kgs is under the 25th centile for 4 year olds, 15 kgs is just over 3 yrs old for 50% according to charts

So that's my balanced review, in summary there's some issues you need to decide if they impact you or not, My little boy is average height/weight, I'm 6' tall. I've yet to go on a decent length ride to see if riding is tolerable. Little one loves it!

5.0 out of 5 stars bike seat, 27 Sept. 2009
Fh Lovidge - See all my reviews
This seat feels and I'm sure is a lot safer than a rear seat on a bike. The balance of the bike is unaffected and it feels a lot more stable, plus the fact you can interact with the child. Basically everything that was advertised by the supplier is true, definately recommend it to anybody.

Fred Lovidge