Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 18 January 2012
As as noob to the world of Logic etc. my knowledge of Midi is only very basic.
This keyboard is fantastic for a beginner. The only real hindrance is the number of keys, but this can be easily adjusted by using the octave keys.

Great stuff!
on 13 January 2013
Had this bought for chrsitmas. Very nice quality 2 octave mini keyboard for under £40. I also considered the Korg Nanokey2 as I generally use a step sequencer (Renoise) but I wanted something that would offer the opportunity to allow me to play sheet music and perhaps learn the piano rather than sequencing. Space it at a premium in our household so the size is perfect.

I do have a 49 full size key midi controller in the loft, but thats staying there as it takes up too much room.

The keyboard was picked up instantly in Xubuntu 12.10 and quickly configured in Renoise. All in all an excellent and inexpensive introductory keyboard.
on 3 May 2013
I would recommend this product to two types of people; a) experienced musicians who want a small midi controller to take down basic ideas whilst on the move and b) beginners who have progressed beyond the point of solely using samples and who want to add their own melodies to their music.
The unit measures appox 33.5 x 9.5 cm and will easily fit into a backpack and/or fit snugly next to a laptop on a table. There are 25 mini keys of the sort seen on small electronic keyboards. These measure approx 8 x 1.8 cm (for white keys) and 4.5 x 0.7 cm (for the black keys). Small but playable. Although there are only 2 octaves the octave down/up feature allows access to the full range of notes on a standard sized keyboard. The power source is a standard usb cable (included) so there is no need to plug it into a mains socket. Installation was straightforward and the unit was recognised straightaway (no extra drivers needed). Note for 1st time midi users; once you have selected the LPK25 in your music software (DAW) midi menu option you may have to restart the program in order to hear sound.
How useful is the LPK25? Basslines, simple melodies and some basic chord progressions are all playable with this unit and also its possible to work up some ideas on virtual drum kits. The keys are touch sensitive so you can get a degree of expression into the tunes though i suspect the level of sensitivity wont satisfy experienced keys players. An adjustable arpeggegiator is also included (useful as some virtual instruments dont carry this feature) and a sustain button which can be used with some piano emulations.
Overall the LPK25 is good value for money and i would recommend it, especially to those starting out with music software.
on 16 November 2012
I had a few reservations when I thought about getting this, and I'll list those now:

1) How would the keys feel - would they be plasticy or would there be a little action behind them?
2) Would the smaller keys be a total pain if trying to play/key in notes?
3) How good could it really be for the price, would it actually work?

As a little background, I'm a pianist but I'm interested in getting into sequencing a little, so thats why I went for this. While the digital piano I have is capable of much the same job, it's not the most portable of midi devices - so I thought about this as an entry-level solution. I'm really glad I did as it more than met my expectations.

1) Yes, the keys are small, but as I span a tenth with no real effort, and they don't make my hand feel cramped, so I don't think its that much of a problem. The keys don't feel that small, they are about 18.5mm wide, compared to a typical full-sized piano key which is 22.5mm wide, which isn't too bad of a scale down. The only thing is is that they aren't the same length as a piano key, so your hand is in much much more of a cupped position when you play on this.
If you don't mind the scaling down for the sake of portability, then this is a workable solution.

2) The keys do have a little action to them, which is nice. They don't just go down like a key on a qwerty keyboard would, theres a little spring back. The keys are also velocity sensitive, this is nice because you can use that to do some dynamics in your MIDI recording if you choose to, so its a good feature to have.

3) The last thing to say about this is that it works well - at the moment I've used it with the open-source sequencer LMMS, and it works fine right out of the box. It also works well with muse-score for note input if you're looking to do engraving/manuscript type things. I haven't really tried anything else yet though.

If you are interested in buying this, I will also mention that I found some reviews on youtube as I probably wouldn't have bought this without being able to see it in action. Just type Akai LPK25 in and have a look around. They also demonstrate the arpeggiator, tap tempo, programming and octave shift functions which I have played around with, but don't really know enough to comment on their functionality.
on 11 March 2012
I was interested to see this product on line, but when I went to a local shop and picked it up, the finish on the plastic did not inspire me to imagine a quality build inside.
I say slightly overpriced for that reason and also because it was a little over my budget. I was looking for something for around 35 euros. I paid 49.

At home testing, I discovered that the supplied USB cable did not make a good connection. However, it is a standard USB connector and I have plenty of those. Another cable works fine. Strangely enough, the AKAI cable works fine with my nanoKontrol. A combination of cheap low spec connectors on the LPK25 and cheap low spec cable is most likely the problem. It's a shame, but it is not a show stopper, and not worth going back to the shop with it.

Unless you are a real arpeggiator fan, the arpeggiator is a bit of a sales gimmick, and the resources dedicated to this would for my purposes have been better put into a programmable slider & button controllers or program change control buttons, or just leave it out altogether and lower the price.

If there was any alternative in a small playable keyboard on the market at all, I don't think I would have bought this unit. Hopefully AKAI will come up with some inprovements with version 2. Having said that, it is a challenge to make such a small controller, and this one is a lot better than using the laptop keyboard or mouse.

If you don't need the portability, I would avoid it for the moment.
on 17 January 2015
Keys are too stiff to actually play, and sometimes non functional. I will be trying to get some use out of it but I suspect I will return this product as it is a sub-par piece of equipment.
on 27 December 2014
Pros: keys feel fine to me, touch-sensitivity allows greater creative expression than some reviewers would have you believe. In fact I'm not sure why some of its detractors are complaining about the keys being too heavy and unplayable. If you think this has heavy keys you should try playing a real piano lol. In terms of being recognised by the major DAWs, all I can say is I've found it to be 'plug n play', into both my Mac and my iPad (via a camera connection kit), though Windows users' luck seems to be more hit n miss. Octave-shift buttons are nice and easily accessible. Sustain button is handy, but it would have been better implemented as an on/off switch rather than as a button you have to hold down.

Cons: Micro USB connector is a big mistake, being hopelessly fragile. I've soldered it three times in a year, and I've only unplugged it about ten times. No pitch-bend or modulation. Yeah I knew this beforehand but don't under estimate how much you'll miss these features when they're suddenly not there, even on such a tiny secondary keyboard like this. I would have happily forwent the pointless arp function for even just a Korg-style pitch-bend / modulation joystick. (Actually there's still ample room on the left of the fascia for such a joystick, even with the arp buttons there.)
on 8 February 2015
Just right for sliding into my macbook pro bag and for use composing songs or capturing ideas in Reason while I'm away from home. Not that this is just a midi controller and has no synth or sound capabilities. It is touch sensitive and has quite a stiff action, but that may be a good thing as the keys are quite small so you need to be accurate with your keying action. Perfect small form factor keyboard for me, my Macbook Pro and Reason 8.1
on 5 February 2013
I was umming and ahhing about buying a midi-keyboard but I'm so glad I did! This is really useful - it's small and light so easy to travel and store, it's powered from the computer so there's no faffing with extra power leads and it works straight out of the box. Really good product.
on 4 November 2014
I bought this to write scores using Muse software, and it's perfect for that. It's also good for creating electronic music using the free Ignite software. Also the build quality is good for the money and I find the keys perfectly fine to play. I'm docking it a star because unless you are used to using midi controllers then most of the other functions are useless as the documentation isn't there.