4.0 out of 5 stars The overkill version?
Published on 30 Oct 2009 by techpuppy

1.0 out of 5 stars Umm... well it certainly protected my PC...
I have a windows 7 64 bit PC, with 6GB of RAM, which I love! I wanted to make sure that I protected the family's data as best I could (I view internet security a bit like insurance - essential!) - and Bit Defender seemed the best product from TopTen website.

Published on 11 May 2010 by Me, that's who!

4.0 out of 5 stars The overkill version?, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: BitDefender Total Security 2010 1 Year 3 Users (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Funny stuff, security software - you don't really want to buy it, don't want to ever need it and you hope it does as little as possible while it's running. This version of BitDefender actually does quite a lot because it bundles their entire arsenal of security tools together with a small suite of 'Tune-Up' utilities (which 'clean' unnecessary files and registry entries), a file-shredder and a data backup option.

After the chore of installing, updating and the first 'deep-scan' of your drives BitDefender settles down in the background and does its work quietly and without any noticeable slowdown. You can choose a user level (Novice, Intermediate and Expert) for the actual interface, making it as simple or as geeky as you'd like. You can also quick-configure the entire suite using preset user-profiles - choose from Typical, Parent, Gamer or Custom - so it only takes a couple of clicks to secure your computer. There are also useful 'Gaming' and 'Laptop' modes which automatically reduce BitDefender activity to avoid interruptions and extend battery life.

If you like to know what's going on in the background you can configure BitDefender to alert you when things happen - an app' trying to phone-home or a new client joining your home network for example - and it will remember your individual preferences for the future. Or you can switch off non-urgent alerts and let Bitdefender make all the security decisions on your behalf.

There are a couple of useful extras too : A 'File Vault' utility which creates and manages encrypted disc images you can use to keep your more private files private. A 'Network' option allows you to manage any other BitDefender installations on your home network, so you could check and configure Parental Controls on the kids' PC from your own.

The collection of 'Tune-Up' utilities seem less useful, partly because they duplicate features already present in Windows and partly because they promise more than they deliver. Does Windows still need to be de-fragmented on a regular basis when other major OS's manage to avoid problematic file-fragmentation as they work? I did try the Registry Cleaner and immediately started having problems with Windows Update installing and re-instaling the same update over and over. I can't be sure BitDefender was to blame but it seemed suspicious.

Although having all your security and maintenance tools presented together in one app is a nice idea it seems like overkill in practice. I can't help feeling that the Internet Security 2010 version is a better buy for most people since it includes all the excellent security and privacy tools without the slightly redundant maintenance utilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, No Hassle, Peace of Mind, 1 Oct 2009
This really is a no hassle product, installed easily, serial worked first time (not sure what the other reviewer was doing with their's). The 3 user licenses were great so my parents pc and my own gets protection and there is even enough for my vista laptop which it works on fine too. No slow down as i can see when scanning, still managed to watch a dvd on mine. Updates also happen quite silently so that was great too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Umm... well it certainly protected my PC..., 11 May 2010

However, things didn't go acording to plan from the outset. Lockups, crashes, looooong load times... eventually preventing the PC from accessing the internet at all - I know this thanks to a 1+ hour's call to my ISP!

Needless to say, BitDefender has been uninstalled well before the end of the licence period!

We're now trying Webroot Internet Security 2010 trial and possibly after that the trial of Kaspersky.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYERS BEWARE - I've used for three years!, 7 April 2010
Mr. V. J. Ockmore (England) - See all my reviews
First of all I want to say that I have been working in IT for over 25 years and have supported and worked in all aspects of PC and IT support in that time.

I'm sorry to say that I've had enough of BitDefender. I was one of the many that got affected by the March 20th update fiasco. (Google 'Trojan.FakeAlert.5 Bitdefender Alert'). Except that I didn't know it was BitDefender that caused it. The first I knew was when I switched on the PC and it wouldn't boot - just a message about a corrupted .sys file. Using our second PC I trawled the internet for info on what might have caused the problem with this .sys file and ended up completely rebuilding the PC. Lucky for me I've got everything backed-up.

I would have expected BD to send an email out to all of its registered users warning them of the problem. At least then 1) some users may have been able to prevent the problem occurring and 2) I would have picked up the email on the other PC.

I'VE HAVE ONLY JUST DISCOVERED BD WAS THE CAUSE OF ALL THE PROBLEMS. Purely by chance on the internet.
Of course, other products that use the BD scanning software updates were also affected.

I've had previous problems with BD 2010 (the last resulted in support telling many of us to 'not scan HTTP traffic' to stop the icon constantly going grey) and, quite frankly, I don't pay good money for a product as flaky as this. The statement from the CEO about the additional testing system and the extra steps in the testing process is great - except maybe these should have already been in place?

And for the users that have decided to stick with the product - how about offering them a one year (or two) renewal for free?

Anyway, as I said, I'll be switching to another product in the next few days. It's a shame because BD has many great features and could be a truly great package. But it's let down by poor quality control and ineffective support.

5.0 out of 5 stars When things go wrong, 25 Nov 2009
My friend Raymond of Leek in the Staffordshire Moorlands has had his first encounter with computer malware. But thanks to BitDefender's online antivirus tool it was resolved very quickly.

I alerted Raymond to the problem after receiving a dodgy e-mail - sent from his computer - offering cut-price computer products. It appears that somehow his computer was rebroadcasting spam e mails to contacts on his address book. On advice from the local PC repair shop, Raymond downloaded the BitDefender Online Anti-virus scan. This quickly identified the malware causing this problem, removed it and then provided assurance that his computer was clear.

Raymond has now installed BitDefender and has had no further trouble with viruses/spyware or other malware since.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great package but a little overkill., 4 Nov 2009
L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have never used BitDefender security before but I am impressed so far.

I installed BitDefender onto my laptop that had a McAfee on previously, I did use the McAfee clean-up tool to completely remove McAfee before installing BitDefender, then restarted and then started to install BitDefender, the program installed without any problems but after a restart I did find that the laptop came to a complete halt for a number of minutes, I think this problem was due to BitDefender updating itself upon boot-up, after that things seemed fine until I started a full scan and again the laptop slowed down to a crawl, so stopped the scan and investigated. It was then I noticed the PC requirements for BitDefender, a dual core CPU of 1.66Ghz is required with 1gb of memory (RAM), my laptop has a single core 2.4ghz CPU with 1gb of RAM!!

I left BitDefender to do a complete scan and did not use the laptop whilst it was doing so, it completed this without finding any serious problems, it did find a few minor ones though which were corrected, what I do like about BitDefender is the fact that you can see exactly what has been scanned and what problems have occurred and how they have been fixed, it also tells you if your programs are up to date and can recommend downloads required.

BitDefender has 3 user modes, novice, intermediate and expert, I like the expert mode as it gives you more info on what threats are around and the health of your PC/laptop, there is also a wealth of information including file and network activity, you can also switch to laptop mode which saves battery life.

The program also has pop up boxes that tell you programs that are trying to connect to the Internet and can block unwanted activity. BitDefender also has a game mode for all you gamers.

This program is well beyond just a security suite it comes with a tune-up utilities program that can find and fix unwanted files there's also a back-up function as well, I did find some of these scan processes very slow and time consuming. There is also a very useful file vault, this is perfect for sensitive files and is password protected.

There is a downside to BitDefender and that is it seems to be very CPU hungry, but this is only during a full scan and the program runs fine otherwise.

So far I like BitDefender Total Security 2010, OK, so my laptop is not really up to spec but this program still seems to run Ok, it's just when scanning that the slow down occurs which is no different to some other security software packages that are out there.

4 stars

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose., 21 April 2010
I have three machines, Windows 7 Professional, Vista Business SP1 and XP SP3.

On the XP3 machine it repeatedly fails at start-up, asks me to send info to BitDefender and tries to restart, usually after the third or fourth time it does restart. Included in the info sent it asks for my email and comments, which on many occasions I have completed, but I have never had info from the support people on what is happening.

On the Vista machine it frequently just refuses to start, the icon is greyed out and it says "Bit Defender Services are not responding, reboot", but rebooting doesn't help.

It seems to work on the Windows 7 machine but we've had a couple of false positives.

The user interface is good and there's lots of powerful and useful features, but frankly I don't need to have hassle from my anti-virus software. I want to be able to completely forget about it, like I did with McAfee. Unfortunately I was tempted by the false economy of a cheaper price and good reviews - though I wonder if the reviewers actually used the product.

Just Google "BitDefender Not Responding"

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Shame about the Customer Service!, 19 Mar 2010
A. Bhave - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong - I think this is a really good AV product. The only problem (and it is a very big one) is BD's tech support. I have a Win XP SP3 machine and for some reason, after installing this product and rebooting the machine, my machine refused to boot. It kept hanging at the "Loading MS Windows" stage.

Because of my previous experience with BD Tech support, I raised a ticket about this on their website AND called up their call centre. By the way, I recommend this approach if you even want to get their attention. The tech support chap was totally clueless about my problem and at one point actually asked me whether I had installed a "spyware" on my system. I am assuming he meant anti-spyware but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in me about their ability to resolve my issues.

In the end, he took all my details and assured me that someone from their tech support team would be in touch with me within 48 hrs. Well, its been a week and no one has been in touch yet. Way to go, guys!

Eventually I figured that perhaps my existing Spyware Doctor installation was interfering with BD (although the earlier versions have not done this) so I uninstalled it and re-installed BD. This time it worked perfectly.

Bottom line: While this is a great AV, you are pretty much on your own when it comes to tech support. Buyers beware!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bit Defender total security 2010, 18 Dec 2009
R. G. Mills "cam com" (Durham. UK) - See all my reviews
I am using Windows XP with service pack 3. I tried it on two different computers with the same operating system, but for some unknown reasons there where up to 40 files some operating files went missing, I had to use a optimizing program to recover them it was impossible to keep using Bit Defender, I went back onto Zone Alarm Extreme and have had know problems with this Security System.

Bit Defender probably works on other computers all right but mine did'nt seem to like it one bit. Computers are very contrary machines, what suits one does'nt suit another.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bit Defender The Hungry Monster, 5 May 2010
Mr. P. Bruce "Pete" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I dislike giving negative reviews and hardly ever do. But...

I bought BitDefender Total Security 2010 recently as our Kaspersky security suite subscription was expiring. In recent years I have drifted between BitDefender and Kaspersky, 2008 being the last time we had had BitDefender. I found at that time BitDefender does place a high demand on system resources although it did generally do a good job security wise.

This year I read some reviews and found BitDefender was coming out just on top so I was lured back. I have two PC's in a small home office, they are both running good processors - 2GH dual core with a gig of ram - on one and - 2.3 GH Duo with 2 gig of ram - on the other. I keep both systems clean and lean. BitDefender has slowed both systems measurably and made things generally clunky. The GUI is good and provides some helpful system tools - but no more than that which is freely available on the internet in separate packages. As a security suite it seems to be doing the job but the adverse affect on the system is not worth the price. Kaspersky is MUCH better - I truly regret buying this package and the fact I'm stuck with it for twelve months. After this I will never buy BitDefender again - this is the third time and every time it drains the system but this time is the worst yet.

WARNING - If you do buy this software and have had previous versions of BitDefender installed you must use their 'removal tool' to clean your registry before installing the latest edition or you will have all sorts of problems as I did with one of my machines. It seems the uninstall software that comes with BitDefender leaves behind a ton of registry keys for a lasting legacy of nightmares.

Sorry you guys - but you've got things seriously wrong...

BitDefender Total Security 2010 1 Year 3 Users (PC CD)
BitDefender Total Security 2010 1 Year 3 Users (PC CD) by Bit Defender (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)