5.0 out of 5 stars Product description not quite clear
To clear up any confusion about this, as information in the description is not quite clear and could potentially confuse people.

In this edition version, you require Windows 7 to be already installed, the qualifying version for this is Windows 7 Starter Edition, this is only for Computers that come pre-bundled with this version.

If your looking to...
Published on 26 Dec. 2009 by Nvidia Otaku

1.0 out of 5 stars Windows7 anytime upgrade,starter to home premium.
Published on 11 Nov. 2011 by William Higgins

5.0 out of 5 stars Product description not quite clear, 26 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade, Starter to Home Premium (Licence only) (Software)

If your looking to upgrade from XP or Vista, then you will require one of these versions instead:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Upgrade Edition for XP or Vista users (PC DVD)(1 licence)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack for XP or Vista users, 3 User Licence (PC DVD)(3 licences, family pack)

Both come with the 32 and 64 bit Upgrade discs.

5.0 out of 5 stars For clarification this does not include CD/DVD, upgrade by download, 12 Feb. 2010
I was a little confused as the description did not make it perfectly clear this package does not need a CD/DVD drive to upgrade. My netbook doesn't have one so I was a bit hesitant to buy but after some googling I was pretty confident. So this here is just in case anyone else is unsure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Upgrade, 13 July 2010
J. M. Johnson - See all my reviews
Bought this for my notebook. The box contains just the serial number to enter in the computer. There is no CD as it is not needed. Follow the simple instructions and away you go to the full version of windows 7. Do keep the serial number in a safe place. You will need it if you have recover your computer to factory settings. Quick delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows Starter, 17 Jun. 2010
Debbie (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this item from Amazon, to upgrade my Acer Aspire One netbook, which came pre-loaded with Windows 7 Starter.

I was fed up with the fact that you couldn't personalise your desktop and a few other little irritations that you suffer from with Windows 7 starter which is a very "cut down" version of Windows 7 Home Premium.

I saw this Upgrade and thought that I would give it a try. It comes in a neat little box that contains the product key. There are no cds in the box. The upgrade is just done simply and fast online. Within 10 or so minutes, my Windows 7 Home Premium was up and running.

No problems at all and it was well worth the effort and is very reasonably priced too. Superb delivery service from Amazon as usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary upgrade from Starter, 2 Oct. 2010
Anyone who has purchased a new netbook with W7 Starter edition pre-installed, and has experience of the older XP operating system, or W7 Home Premium, is likely to be very frustrated and disappointed with the Starter Edition.

Functionality you took for granted even in XP is missing from Starter and you will soon wonder why you paid over the odds to get entry into the W7 Club. XP running on a netbook is easily up to the task and compares very favourably with W7 Home Premium.

In the end, you are likely to go for the Anytime Upgrade to W7 Home Premium, and you will be glad you did. Fortunately, netbooks pre-installed with the Starter Edition, such as HP's Mini 110, make the upgrade easy.

This product is a licence key only, as the programme is already loaded on the netbook, and the key merely opens it up. IF YOU ARE UPGRADING TO W7 HOME PREMIUM FROM XP OR VISTA YOU WILL NEED A DIFFERENT UPGRADE PACKAGE.

The process is simple. Locate the Anytime programme, fire it up and when prompted, simply enter the key and follow any prompts. The whole process can take less than 10 minutes, and it is automatic. It can take longer than 10 minutes depending upon how may updates it finds, so you are advised to get all the latest updates from Microsoft first to save time.

On a final note, if your netbook came pre-installed with the Starter Edition and you can see the upgrade option listed, you can be sure it will happily run W7 Home Premium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 upgrade, 28 May 2010
John L. Knott (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Usual good stuff from Microsoft. Instructions followed, OS installed without a hitch. New Samsung netbook now running happily on Home Premium rather than Home Starter. Good price, great product, easy to get going. John

4.0 out of 5 stars Should've listened to others and not bought!, 28 Jun. 2011
S. L. Bean "farehamoxonian" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
Why oh why didn't I pay attention to all the negative reviews on this site before going out and spending hard earned cash at Currys PCWorld?

I have tried several times to install this and can't get past the 'Starting Upgrade' screen before a totally uninformative error message appears advising me that the installation has failed and that I should try again.

I've tried contacting Microsoft but they basically couldn't care less.

I may have to consider an alternative OS on my new Toshiba NB550D netbook.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT!!!!!

Update : I've now managed to perform the upgrade by restoring the TOSH to factory settings and thereby removing previously installed IE9. Impressed with the package but still HIGHLY miffed by the lack of support from Microsoft - only managed upgrade due to previous IT background!

After some 18 months using the OS I have upgraded the rating to 4 stars. I couldn't bring myself to go to 5 due to Microsoft's lack of support.

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows Anytime Upgrage, 26 July 2011
OMG! This has been really hard work to upgrade. I brought a Packard Bell DS netbook with Windows 7 Starter Dec 2010 -- purchased the upgrade 6 days ago & upgrading has not really been straight-forward. I knew I brought the right product based on the previous reviews, which made buying this upgrade easier.
Suffice to say the upgrade was not. After 3 attempts, I kept getting a message stating wrong product key, etc -- I almost gave up, resigned myself to having to return the product back to Amazon. After re-reading reviews re problems they also had -- decided to shut everything down & restart my computer....success! As the system rebooted, where it use to say "Windows 7 Starter", now read Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm not a computer scientist by any means, but this has really been hard work!! As for tech support...rubbish. Like a previous reviewer stated, telephone support is in the US or Canada, or if you go via the Microsoft website, you're looking at £46 online support..thank God I perserved. In a nutshell, this is a Windows "anytime upgrade" from Windows 7 Starter to Home Premium -- if you're having problems like I did, re-start your computer & hopefully Home Premium will install. Good luck

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade, 10 Feb. 2011
Just this minute installed this upgraded to my Asus EeePC 1001PX 10 inch netbook (Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz) Took just under ten minutes, no slow down with the OS, works fine. A big thank you to Amazon customer service, the cost of the upgrade was discounted by more than half price if you bought it at the same time with this neetbook, however I couldn't work out for the life of me how at the time you were eligible for the upgrade, Dhhh. Contacted Amazon explained everything and they resolved my inquiry within half an hour. Would I pay full price for the upgrade, well no, I could live with out it, but with the discount you get on selected Windows 7 starter netbooks I feel its worth the money. Feels like I have a proper laptop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Windows7 anytime upgrade,starter to home premium., 11 Nov. 2011
William Higgins (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I have a brand new Asus notebook,running windows7 starter.I cannot run and install this upgrade.Half way through download,after entering upgrade key,it says DOWNLOAD FAILED,THIS UPGRADE KEY IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR WINDOWS7 OPERATING SYSTEM,ENTER ANOTHER UPGRADE KEY.I have downloaded windows upgrade advisor,which has scanned my computer,and says no problems found,ready to install upgrade to windows7 premium.So I am giving up and returning item for refund,AS IT DOES NOT WORK.W.Higgins.