5.0 out of 5 stars Windows Anytime Upgrade - Windows 7 Ultimate
Published on 1 May 2011 by AllanGD

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Scams
I tried buying an upgrade through Amazon Marketplace and received a license by email. There is a freeware program available that allows you to check to see if the license key is valid, and more importantly its "License Channel."

Published on 18 Aug 2011 by S

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows Anytime Upgrade - Windows 7 Ultimate, 1 May 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade, Home Premium to Ultimate (Licence only) (Software)
I somehow managed to miss the advertising that this upgrade path existed, so when I saw the "Licence Only" product offered on Amazon I wasn't sure what it was or whether I could use it. However, I completed the upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate using this method on my Dell XPS laptop and it is working perfectly. Here's what I think it would be helpful for you to know if, like me, you are feeling unsure.

It seems that many versions of Windows 7 (and mine was pre-installed by Dell on my laptop in the factory) come with all of the versions of Windows already loaded. These can be "activated" by paying the right fee and entering the right code. To find out whether you can use this upgrade path you simply:

1. Click on the Windows "Start" menu
2. Type "Windows Anytime Upgrade" in the "Search programs & files" box
3. Select "Windows Anytime Upgrade" if you have it

I believe that if you are not able to upgrade using this path (which could also be because you are already using the highest version of Windows 7) then it will not appear in the search. One thing I also discovered is that the same "licence key only" upgrade path exists for MS Office too (search for "Office Anytime Upgrade.")

Once you select Windows Anytime Upgrade from the search results it will explain to you what it is, what your particular upgrade path is, what are the benefits and, if you are feeling flush, you can click right through to buying the upgrade licence through the MS on-line shop. Of course, I found that it was a lot cheaper to do this (nearly half the price) via the Amazon website.

I ordered the upgrade key from Amazon and it arrived in a similar container to the usual MS software, but instead of a disc there was a cardboard inset that contained the product key for my upgrade. Instrucitons come in the box that explain how to upgrade - here they are:

1. Back up your files and programs
2. Click the Windows START button
3. In the search box, type "Windows Anytime Upgrade" and choose the result (which should say "Windows Anytime Upgrade"
4. Click on the box that says "Enter upgrade key"
5. Enter the product key that came in the box when prompted
6. Follow the instructions that the upgrade program ask you to complete

It took about six minutes to complete the upgrade and, although I did back-up my files, after it re-booted and the Windows 7 Ultimate splashscreen appeared, everything was exactly it had been before (desktop, passwords, favouites, programs etc) but I was now running on a full feature Windows 7 Ultimate platform. I honestly could not have been easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade, 5 July 2010
B. Bolton (East Anglia UK) - See all my reviews
Worked as stated, which implies that the information was already on the system in a latent form. Provides the extra features that I require and am therefore happy with my purchase. Price was very competive compared with PC supplier's. If you need this product then this is a very good source.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Scams, 18 Aug 2011

What many of the scammers (including the one I purchased from) on here are doing is selling MSDN (Micosoft Developer Network) keys. These are valid keys that are given to software development companies for installing many copies of Windows for testing and development.

It is however illegal to sell these on, or to use them for day-to-day use. If the scammer sells the same key to different people, eventually a threshold is met and Microsoft blacklists the key invalidating all the copies. This may happen months or years, or not at all if a scammer is really only selling one key to one purchaser.

However as you risk being left with nothing I'd recommend buying directly from Amazon or Microsoft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 18 Feb 2011
The new PC I bought recently shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium. I found a lot of the programs I use wouldn't run on Win 7, and upgrading to versions that would was either not possible or uneconomic. I thought about installing XP and dual booting with Win 7, but thought I would try Windows XP Mode instead - Hence the need for an upgrade of Win 7.

The key was sent in a very short time, with full instructions on how to install it. Installation was straightforward and went without a hitch.
There are still a few things that will not run - notably those that require a driver, which still has to be Win 7 compatible.
Overall, a good solution to a problem that would not have existed had Microsoft ensured Windows 7 was backwards compatible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Windows 7 Upgrade., 31 Jan 2011
A. C. Beaton "ACB" (Gullane, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
I needed to upgrade from Windows 7x64 Home Premium in order to make backups to a Network Attached Storage device, but was put off by the high cost until I came across this product. Ordered it this evening (Sunday), received the key by email, took 10 minutes to upgrade my system to Win 7x64 Ultimate, using Windows Anytime Upgrade Wizard, and activated the new installation. Backup is now running. It is still Sunday evening. I had a query for the seller before using the key and got a reply by return. I am very impressed. I will allow Ultimate to run for a few days to make sure all is well and then hope to be able to get another key for my laptop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ignore everthing windows says, 11 Jun 2012
S. Andrews (UK) - See all my reviews
Install as directed, you then receive an error message.

Ignore error message [which is what I usually do with this stuff]

Restart computer, go make diner.

Come back everything has been upgraded.

Bravo MS for making it so damn clear

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgrading - sorting out problem with upgrade key, 16 Jun 2011
I encountered a problem using Windows Anytime Upgrade.
Upgrade error message said that the product key entered was for an edition of Windows that does not work with the Anytime Upgrade. I was then asked to enter another product key. I tried Microsoft Support. The automated support site did not recognise any entitlement to free support and wanted a fee of 40 plus for help, so I aborted this. I read the reviews on the Amazon site from previous purchasers of this product and one said that if you re-started you computer the upgrade worked. I did this an Bingo my Windows OS upgraded to Ultimate. Very pleased with the product but disappointed with the Anytime Upgrade system - Microsoft should sort it out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work!, 3 July 2011
I have just bought a new Alienware M17X laptop from Dell with Home Premium installed - decided about a day later that I actually wish I'd upgraded to Ultimate so I bought this upgrade pack. It gives me an error whenever I try and install that it cannot be performed. I have taken all steps possible - clean boot, booting into safe mode, editing the key manually with slui and slmgr.vbs, reactivating windows manually, adding as a new serial key - all with no avail. Asking for advice on support forums has been less than helpful. And since this is a serial key only, I assume that Amazon will not accept a return / refund.

Avoid like the plague! Does not work!

2.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft needs to be ashamed of itself, 23 Jun 2012
Firstly was the update finally a success answer yes. So why two stars? Well they lose one for the price, Microsoft's own price is 120 Amazon is at least a little cheaper at 95, do they (MS) not understand this is why they have a piracy problem? With W7HP at 50/60 why charge 120 upgrade for 5% more features? They lose two more stars for the shambles of an implementation process.

The upgrade initiation is simple enough enter your key and it validates successfully. Then the update begins, lasts about 5 minutes and closes with "this update was UNSUCCESSFUL!"

Options in the form of a general link to Microsoft Customer Services are presented and nothing else. Following the link you will find that it is a general link not targeted at all to the failure you have just experienced, so it will take you a great deal of searching to finally get to the heart of your problem where you will be offered an email address to contact. I will not go into the details of this process as basically it is a complete waste of time and effort. Having researched the problem on-line on forums prior to the upgrade I simply abandoned the implementation and shut down the PC.

At that point there is an update intercept rather like a normal windows update being applied at shut-down time. This completes to about 36% and shuts down. The subsequent restart picks up where the previous update left off and the process completes to 100%. It then restarts. There is one more restart in the cycle and bingo you are upgraded. My box already had SP1 on it, there may be an SP1 update cycle if you do not already have this installed.

In short because my field of expertise is IT and I am able to get around these sort of problems does not make it acceptable that Microsoft are allowed to dump this sort of overpriced garbage on an unsuspecting public. Non IT people would panic at the Unsuccessful message and probably start trying all sorts of things that could well leave their machine in an unusable state. Probably culminating at best in a restore of their box to the initial state when they purchased it as they will not have taken pre upgrade backups. Microsoft have implemented W7 in a form that tries to keep the user away from updating its operating system components at it rightly does not trust the general public to perform such tasks correctly. I think MS should go back to infant school and learn a few of its own lessons. Would you trust MS to upgrade your PC, on this evidence certainly not!

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon dispatched duff copy, 12 Dec 2011
Received what must have been a US copy, judging by the US contact details and spelling on the package. Licence key was invalid on a UK supplied PC, so a big fat waste of time. Returned for refund.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›