5.0 out of 5 stars A quality grower
This is a weird one. It's one of the albums which, when you listen to it for the first few times, doesn't exactly grab you, but somehow you know it's good, and further down the line you're gonna love it. I saw them do Teddy Picker and 505 on Later last night and found myself saying Blimey, these really are good songs." And so they are.

So, if this album doesn't...
Published on 5 May 2007 by R. Rutter

3.0 out of 5 stars MMMM, not sure
I think I might get slated for this but am I the only person who thinks the first album is a whole load better. Don't get me wrong musically it is tight, flawless infact. They have obviously come on leaps and bounds but something is missing. OLD YELLOW BRICKS, TEDDY PICKER and BALACLAVA are the exception to the rule. One thing I liked about the first album was the...
Published on 10 Dec 2007 by Paddy

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fail to please.., 13 Jan 2008
One of the biggest Indie Rock bands return with a powerful energized sequel, that doesn't fail to please. Listeing to the singles 'Brianstorm', 'Fluorescent Adolescent' and 'Teddy Pciker' prove to you that this album is going to be good. For anyone who has their debut album, it may take a bit to get use to, as this is nothing like their previous one. It's that different, I can't compare and say which one is better. But believe me, it really is an outstanding album. One disapointment about it that I actually feel applies to their previous album, is that I feel that they rushed through it, as the twelve tracks seem to fly buy within twenty minutes. Overall, if you liked the singles, then you'll love this. If you like Arctic Monkeys, it'll take a bi to get use to their new style, but it truly is great.

Top Picks:
-505
-Do Me A Favour
-Teddy Picker

4.0 out of 5 stars Give this a few listens, 10 May 2007
Whilst this album doesn't grab you as instantly as their first, it has a real depth and class to it. After the third or fourth listen, tracks start to jump out at you and embed themselves in your brain. True 'Monkeys' fans will find they suddenly have a yearning to listen to the songs going round in their head.

Whilst both great tracks, look past the single 'Brianstorm' and the much hyped 'Flourescent Adolescent', and find 'Teddy Picker' and 'Do Me A Favour'. 'Flourescent...' is the band at their catchy best. but this is a little like Arctic Monkeys lite, some of the other tracks are much deeper and more emotive. The only low point on this album for me is 'Only Those Who Know', a ballad which meanders along and doesn't do much for me.

In conclusion though a great piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 13 July 2007
I LOVE this album. Completely different style from the first, but those who say this is amateur or (and I quote) "not music", clearly need a kick up the backside. From the tranquil side of 505, all the way back to the full-of-life D Is For Dangerous, the lyrics show a side to teenagers and young adults everywhere, that seems to be kept hidden from society these days. A daring but brilliant album to be enjoyed by the majority. And whatever "Mr M J Archer" says about the guitar riffs... dear god, I can't see anyone becoming more successful in the year after releasing their first album, which, as you may remember, was the most sucessful album for years.

Who cares if I got any details wrong, I'm just trying to make a point. Once again, an amazing album. I can't wait to see them live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequel every bit as good as the debut, 17 Feb 2008
Andy Sweeney "music was my first love" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Sheffield's internet phenomenon Arctic Monkeys return with a second album to prove that their first was no fluke and they do just that. With working-class seated lyrics and some raucous yet intricate guitar riffs and powerful but technically gifted drumming, they have produced a worthy follow-up to their very good debut. The pick of the tracks are 'Brianstorm', 'Teddy Picker' and 'Fluorescent Adolescent', but the whole of the album is rather brilliant.

Often winning a BRIT award for 'Best Album' doesn't say a great deal about the album in question, given the calibre of the previous winners, but in 2007, the BRITs managed to give the title to a worthy piece of work for a change. Genuinely exciting and also quite funny - a listen to Favourite Worst Nightmare really does get the adrenaline rushing and the listener smiling frequently, often at the same time - so if you enjoyed their first album or are a fan of smart, well-written indie such as Franz Ferdinand or Kaiser Chiefs, you may just find this album a good investment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, they're not the new Beatles., 25 Nov 2007
Kerouac fan (Torquay, England, UK) - See all my reviews
I raved about their first album. It was the freshest rock album I'd heard by a U.K. group in years. I wrote to a mate: "RocK un RoLL will never die. They were playing their record in the chip-shop tonight -"When The Sun Goes Down" and it sounded so good I mistakenly thought it was their big hit "Dancefloor", in fact it sounded as fresh and exciting as Eddie Cochran in 1959. (That came to mind 'cos I bought a '45 of Eddie's "Three Steps To Heaven" in a nearby chip-shop in '59, they were selling ex-jukebox '45's with the centres out in a cardboard box on the counter.) Tonight customers and young girl staff singing along and bopping their heads." You'll find a great review of the Arctic's first album 'Whatever People...' VINYL version by A. Tatton of Stoke Newington on this site. But that was then this is now: I bought 'Nightmare' hoping for more kitchen sink, Sheffield, working class, dance hall rock'n'roll. The back-beat is still there, but the catchy tunes have gone and half the time (no, nearly all the time) I don't know what they are singing about? - no witty, satirical lyrics. I don't understand the album's title, or it's art work and their relevance to today. But then I'm a 62 year old fart so maybe I'm out of touch. "505" is a wistful closer, but what comes before is hardly memorable. Rock has always thrived on competition. In the 'sixties it was the Beatles up against the Beach Boys. I suggest this time it's The Arctics against the brilliant American group: Why? Listening to that band's Elephant Eyelash might inspire the boys to get back to their barmiest best.

5.0 out of 5 stars D Most Certainly Is For Delightful!, 29 April 2007
Just wow really.

I didn't think that these boys could better 'Whatever people say I am...' but they've done it. 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' is a more mature, heavier, deeper and altogether a more complete work of absolute brilliance than their debut (as much as I love it)

Every single song is beyond superb. From the rousing 'Brianstorm' all the way through to the unquestionably amazing '505', there is no way on earth that any Arctic Monkeys fan could dislike this album.

Aside from the almighty Libertines, for me the Arctic Monkeys are the best band of this era. With witty lyric after witty lyric, their formula miraculously never fails.

I find it hard to highlight any "stand-out" tracks because they all are, but I'm going to go for 'D is for Dangerous', the new Mardy Bum - 'Fluorescent Adolescent', 'Do Me A Favour', 'This House Is A Circus (beserk as you know what) and '505'.

A different dimension to this album is that drummer, who is on better form than ever, Matt Helders gets quite a few lines to sing and it definitely brings a fresh diversity to the music.

Honestly words cannot express the true brilliance exlpored on this album. I can only big it up so much, and I guess if you were going to buy it, you would have done already. But just in case you're pondering the idea, definitely go for it if its the last thing you do!

5.0 out of 5 stars New fan of Arctic Monkeys, 7 April 2014
As a newish fan of AM I am still exploring their early material and I love this album. The lyricism of Alex Turner is clearly still developing but early signs of his brilliance are all here.

4.0 out of 5 stars EVEN BETTER THAN THE LAST!, 26 April 2007
COLSEE "colsee" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What a breath of fresh air these guys are. The description above describes it as a brute of a rock album. I feel this could be misleading to some as it gives the impression of a heavy rock band.

It certainly is not that, and is not trying to be, what it is though is even better. A clever blend of rythmns containing pop rock, street wise lyrics painting life as it is for the youth of today.

Mike of The Streets I am sure will be listening to these words and the music has more of a rock feel than the latter. Any worries about the dodgy second album syndrome are out of the window as this is an excellent follow up to the first. Rockier and catchier than the first Alex Turner has proved himself again.

Sounds like they are having fun as well! This band will be around for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Feb 2009
R. Styles (London, England) - See all my reviews
Took a while for me to get this as I hadn't heard much said after its release. I probably prefer this album to Whatever People Say I Am Thats What I'm Not, which I loved. It just seems to have more depth, and the sound's darker and moodier. Their first had some top songs on but after a while I realised the majority of them sound very similar. Fake Tales of San Francisco, Red Light Indicates Doors are Secure & Vampires were nothing really to shout about. I could happily listen to this whole album on repeat. It's full of energy and really shows off how great a band they are, with Turner's lyrics as cutting as ever. If I had the option I'd give this 4 and a half stars but seeing as Amazon don't allow that it's getting top marks, it's certainly worth more than 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 April 2007
Gary Armstrong (uk) - See all my reviews
Brianstorm - not my favourite, i think its good but not up there with any of the other singles. still, that doesnt make it bad since the previous album was a bit special. 8/10

Teddy Picker - catchy lyrics and guitars, probably one of the singles. 9/10

D is for dangourous - one of the heavier ones like brianstorm. another story which is what we like to hear! 8/10

Balaclava - not one of my personal favourites, id be amazed if it was released over some of the others. 7/10

Flourescent adolescent - good song, reminds me a bit of mardy bum which is always in its stride. 8/10

Only ones to know - slower song, which doesnt really go anywhere. not sure what its supposed to be, maybe its them 'maturing' as people love to call it. i personally dont think so. 6/10

Do me a favour - has to be a single. i can imagine it on in the night cllubs etc as a lot of their previous singles. very well written. 9/10

This house is a circus - ive read reviews that are fans of this song, so maybe its me. its good but i dont believe its one of the better on the album. 7/10

If you were there, beware - nice song. i like the guitar and drums in this one. still only an album song. 7/10

The bad thing - its alright once you get into it but im not a fan of the start. sounds like a micky take and i dont presonally think it beloings on this album, even though it is ok. 6/10

Old yellow bricks - amazing song, without a very catchy title it sticks in your head and will be a single. 9.5/10

505 - different by them. it builds up and builds up with one lyric that will make you shiver where he actually shouts a lyric. apparently about a girl in hotel room 505. my personal favourite. will be a single and will be one of the tunes of the year. 10/10

ive picked out 4 additional singles to brianstorm and i dont think ill be far wrong. its different to the last album, im not sure whether id say it was better or worse because i can remember how much i loved that last album.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›