Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 10 May 2007
Whilst this album doesn't grab you as instantly as their first, it has a real depth and class to it. After the third or fourth listen, tracks start to jump out at you and embed themselves in your brain. True 'Monkeys' fans will find they suddenly have a yearning to listen to the songs going round in their head.

Whilst both great tracks, look past the single 'Brianstorm' and the much hyped 'Flourescent Adolescent', and find 'Teddy Picker' and 'Do Me A Favour'. 'Flourescent...' is the band at their catchy best. but this is a little like Arctic Monkeys lite, some of the other tracks are much deeper and more emotive. The only low point on this album for me is 'Only Those Who Know', a ballad which meanders along and doesn't do much for me.

In conclusion though a great piece of work.
on 13 July 2007
I LOVE this album. Completely different style from the first, but those who say this is amateur or (and I quote) "not music", clearly need a kick up the backside. From the tranquil side of 505, all the way back to the full-of-life D Is For Dangerous, the lyrics show a side to teenagers and young adults everywhere, that seems to be kept hidden from society these days. A daring but brilliant album to be enjoyed by the majority. And whatever "Mr M J Archer" says about the guitar riffs... dear god, I can't see anyone becoming more successful in the year after releasing their first album, which, as you may remember, was the most sucessful album for years.

Who cares if I got any details wrong, I'm just trying to make a point. Once again, an amazing album. I can't wait to see them live.
on 15 October 2011
I cannot understand why people think this album is so radically different to the first. I love both, though I marginally prefer the first, and it makes me question whether some reviewers have given 'favourite worst nightmare' any more than a fleeting listen. 'Brianstorm' is a storming (sorry) opening, fast drums and frantic guitar work, along with some clever lyrics by Alex Turner. Teddy Picker, D is for Dangerous, Balaclava, Fluorescent Adolescent are all brilliant tracks and in my opinion, are in a similar vein to the first album.
The second half of the album is slightly more mellow, with tracks like closer '505', 'Only ones who know' and 'do me a favour'. The Bad Thing is a criminally underrated song, as is 'This House is a Circus'.
Brianstorm 10/10
The Bad Thing 8/10
Old yellow bricks 8/10
505 7/10

Overall 8.5/10

Fantastic follow up, give it a chance as if you enjoyed the first album, you will like most songs on here too.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Sheffield's internet phenomenon Arctic Monkeys return with a second album to prove that their first was no fluke and they do just that. With working-class seated lyrics and some raucous yet intricate guitar riffs and powerful but technically gifted drumming, they have produced a worthy follow-up to their very good debut. The pick of the tracks are 'Brianstorm', 'Teddy Picker' and 'Fluorescent Adolescent', but the whole of the album is rather brilliant.

Often winning a BRIT award for 'Best Album' doesn't say a great deal about the album in question, given the calibre of the previous winners, but in 2007, the BRITs managed to give the title to a worthy piece of work for a change. Genuinely exciting and also quite funny - a listen to Favourite Worst Nightmare really does get the adrenaline rushing and the listener smiling frequently, often at the same time - so if you enjoyed their first album or are a fan of smart, well-written indie such as Franz Ferdinand or Kaiser Chiefs, you may just find this album a good investment.
on 25 November 2007
I raved about their first album. It was the freshest rock album I'd heard by a U.K. group in years. I wrote to a mate: "RocK un RoLL will never die. They were playing their record in the chip-shop tonight -"When The Sun Goes Down" and it sounded so good I mistakenly thought it was their big hit "Dancefloor", in fact it sounded as fresh and exciting as Eddie Cochran in 1959. (That came to mind 'cos I bought a '45 of Eddie's "Three Steps To Heaven" in a nearby chip-shop in '59, they were selling ex-jukebox '45's with the centres out in a cardboard box on the counter.) Tonight customers and young girl staff singing along and bopping their heads." You'll find a great review of the Arctic's first album 'Whatever People...' VINYL version by A. Tatton of Stoke Newington on this site. But that was then this is now: I bought 'Nightmare' hoping for more kitchen sink, Sheffield, working class, dance hall rock'n'roll. The back-beat is still there, but the catchy tunes have gone and half the time (no, nearly all the time) I don't know what they are singing about? - no witty, satirical lyrics. I don't understand the album's title, or it's art work and their relevance to today. But then I'm a 62 year old fart so maybe I'm out of touch. "505" is a wistful closer, but what comes before is hardly memorable. Rock has always thrived on competition. In the 'sixties it was the Beatles up against the Beach Boys. I suggest this time it's The Arctics against the brilliant American group: Why? Listening to that band's Elephant Eyelash might inspire the boys to get back to their barmiest best.
Just wow really.

I didn't think that these boys could better 'Whatever people say I am...' but they've done it. 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' is a more mature, heavier, deeper and altogether a more complete work of absolute brilliance than their debut (as much as I love it)

Every single song is beyond superb. From the rousing 'Brianstorm' all the way through to the unquestionably amazing '505', there is no way on earth that any Arctic Monkeys fan could dislike this album.

Aside from the almighty Libertines, for me the Arctic Monkeys are the best band of this era. With witty lyric after witty lyric, their formula miraculously never fails.

I find it hard to highlight any "stand-out" tracks because they all are, but I'm going to go for 'D is for Dangerous', the new Mardy Bum - 'Fluorescent Adolescent', 'Do Me A Favour', 'This House Is A Circus (beserk as you know what) and '505'.

A different dimension to this album is that drummer, who is on better form than ever, Matt Helders gets quite a few lines to sing and it definitely brings a fresh diversity to the music.

Honestly words cannot express the true brilliance exlpored on this album. I can only big it up so much, and I guess if you were going to buy it, you would have done already. But just in case you're pondering the idea, definitely go for it if its the last thing you do!
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2007
What a breath of fresh air these guys are. The description above describes it as a brute of a rock album. I feel this could be misleading to some as it gives the impression of a heavy rock band.

It certainly is not that, and is not trying to be, what it is though is even better. A clever blend of rythmns containing pop rock, street wise lyrics painting life as it is for the youth of today.

Mike of The Streets I am sure will be listening to these words and the music has more of a rock feel than the latter. Any worries about the dodgy second album syndrome are out of the window as this is an excellent follow up to the first. Rockier and catchier than the first Alex Turner has proved himself again.

Sounds like they are having fun as well! This band will be around for a very long time.
on 17 April 2007
Seriously, I was nearly put off buying this album when reading some of the earlier reviews posted. Many people had the opinion that the "new sound" of this album was awful. Well, please do take my word for it (as well as those of other reviewers below) that such opinion is pure guff. This album and the work it encompasses, whilst a departure from the earlier "Whatever..." album, is still the Arctic Monkeys, but bigger, better and an absolute stomper of a follow up album. I'm ashamed I even doubted them in the first place. Well worth the money, well worth more than a fleeting listen, and well worth at least five minutes of my time reviewing...
on 19 February 2009
Took a while for me to get this as I hadn't heard much said after its release. I probably prefer this album to Whatever People Say I Am Thats What I'm Not, which I loved. It just seems to have more depth, and the sound's darker and moodier. Their first had some top songs on but after a while I realised the majority of them sound very similar. Fake Tales of San Francisco, Red Light Indicates Doors are Secure & Vampires were nothing really to shout about. I could happily listen to this whole album on repeat. It's full of energy and really shows off how great a band they are, with Turner's lyrics as cutting as ever. If I had the option I'd give this 4 and a half stars but seeing as Amazon don't allow that it's getting top marks, it's certainly worth more than 4.
on 4 April 2014
I am in love with the Arctic Monkeys, purely because of the lyrics. The lyrics are just brilliant.
Balaclava, Teddy Picker, Only Ones Who Know, This House Is A Circus, If You Were There Beware... they're fabulously worded, and capture the essence of today's generation. Not to mention being the soundtrack to my adolescence.
I also adore 505, and if I was sent to a desert island, that would be one of the songs I would take with me.
You might think its OK at first, but the brilliant thing about the AM, is that they require a few listens before you fall in love- it requires a few listens, but honestly, it's one of my favourite albums. Ever.