5.0 out of 5 stars Up There With Ray, Paul and Noel
Published on 23 Aug 2007 by Sue

3.0 out of 5 stars A good debut, but overhyped...
You have to feel sorry for the Monkeys. The way the media have latched onto this "greatest new band EVER" have shoved them into the spotlight when perhaps they aren't quite ready. They are still young, they are talented, but this is a debut album that shows the band have a better career ahead of them.
It probably would be very hard to live up to the amount of...
Published on 21 Mar 2006 by Mr. J. WARE

5.0 out of 5 stars Up There With Ray, Paul and Noel, 23 Aug 2007
At 51, I am surely not the type of listener the Arctic Monkeys were aiming for. But, having heard Johnnie Walker play the track "Mardy Bum" and being wowed by it, I got a young colleague to lend me his copy of the album. It's wonderful. On first hearing, my "elderly" ears were about to dismiss it as a row, then the lyrics got through. I think Alex Turner is as excellent a spokesman for his generation as Ray Davies, Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher before him. Much more appropriate (and clever) than the whingeing of the likes of James Blunt. A superb album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of fun, 20 Jan 2011
I'm probably in the biggest target target audience for this (late teen) but despite all the hype surrounding it along with all the criticism, I can't really see where most of the criticism comes from. If you're not into indie-rock then yes, you probably won't like the Arctic Monkey's debut particularly, but you're missing the point. The album is fulled with a bunch of fun and funky tunes with stories layered on top. Alex Turner, whilst his voice isn't as developed as say Humbug, adds to the rawness and feel of the record. The guitars and bass work well together to bring some neat tunes to the album, and the hard-hitting drumming is very well done, particularly on the album opener, "The View From The Afternoon".
My main gripe with this album is that each track isn't particularly different from each other, in terms of tone.

I ordered the Vinyl of this because I knew the CD wasn't very well mastered, and the large gate and sleeve is a nice addition to anyone's collection. The vinyl sounds allot nicer to my ears than the CD, with more smooth and audible bass, although there is still some compression applied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arctic Monkey's CD review, 28 Jan 2013
The CD arrived quickly, it was new therefore in a great condition and I love every single song on it, I would definitely recommend this CD to any Arctic Monkey's fan out there :D

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like them you like this album, 7 Jan 2013
Really simple, if your a fan, than buy it.
If you don't know it.... give it a shot, its quality stuff!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An album about life, 15 Dec 2012
M. D. Chapman (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great CD and yes its not new but remains current due to the descriptive lyrics. Great band, great album

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
FAB!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
Present so I don't know

5.0 out of 5 stars loooove it, 14 Jun 2014
Got this for my friends bday and she loved it! Everyone is buying their newer album but I honestly think that their older albums are much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 12 Jun 2014
I bought this for my son and he love's it, I'd have no problem recommending it, its a great cd

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad..., 5 Jun 2014
It's a classic. If you haven't got it then do. Written when the lads still had to queue in taxi ranks, before "that rock n roll" made them rich. Gritty, funny, great tunes. An amazing way to burst on the scene. And ruddy lovely to hear on vinyl.