5.0 out of 5 stars A truly gorgeous album!
I've been a huge fan of Enya's since Watermark. Her music has got me through some pretty horrible times over the years. I eagerly awaited the arrival of this CD through the letterbox, I was not disappointed. "WOO-HOO!" and "WOW" sum up my thoughts after one listen.
Published on 22 Nov 2005 by Iceni Peasant

3.0 out of 5 stars For diehard Enya fans only
This is a great album; flawlessly produced, and with amazingly lush sounds on every track. So why only 3 stars? Because it's exactly the same as every other Enya album ever released! My partner and I laugh when we listen to it and say things like "Oh, this is the pop-song one" and "This is the diddle diddle dum one" and "This is the one for funerals". Nothing...
Published on 10 Jan 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly gorgeous album!, 22 Nov 2005
Iceni Peasant (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amarantine (Audio CD)
The "Enya sound" is there, but this album provides some different ideas and compositions. It's a very strong album with no weak tracks at all. Stunning!
Personal favourites songs are "Amarantine", "If I Could Be Where You Are", "Long Long Journey", "Amid The Falling Snow" and "Water Shows The Hidden Heart". Those tracks are just beautiful and take the listener away from every day life.
The song you'll find the hardest to stop your feet from tapping to has to be "The River Sings", just a superb punchy track! And I adore the haunting "Sumiregusa".
It's hard to favour an Enya album over another, but I've been blown away by this one. Arguably some of her best work so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amarantine- destined to be a timeless classic..., 5 Mar 2006
Mr. T. Speller "tomtedspeller" (London, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amarantine (Audio CD)
Like the great Kate Bush, who has re-emerged triumphantly after years out of the spotlight, so another great female musician makes a very welcome return, again offering hope for all those who detest the sterility of modern pop music.
By that, I of course mean Enya. Her music may not be as eccentric and eclectic as Kate’s, but her folky melodies, her beautifully lush landscapes and her gentle vocals have always given her music a unique, almost other-worldly quality. Certainly, it is the formula that made albums such as A Day Without Rain classics, and what made her work for the Lord of the Rings soundtracks so appropriate.
Amarantine very much sticks to her trademark; yet again she has produced a work of such beauty and purity that it has to be heard to be believed. With the title track and “Long Long Journey”, it really does feel like you are transported to Middle Earth and the world of Tolkien. The fact that “Sumiregusa” is sung in Japanese and that three songs are sung in an invented language called Loxian only adds to the sheer mystical appeal of the record.
The amarantine is, apparently, a timeless flower. Certainly, this is an absolutely timeless flower of a record. By far, her strongest album to date. And that is not to be sniffed at.

4.0 out of 5 stars Greater tracks are... in Loxian language...,, 6 Dec 2005
Antonio Cunha Silva (Stb, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amarantine (Audio CD)
I love Enya and love her beautiful music - no one does music like her. I have to admit that I was too anxious for a new Enya cd.
When I listen to 'Sumiregusa' (for a japanese commercial) - last Spring I was too excited.
And when I was listenning to this new Amarantine I get a little disappointed.
There ARE very beautiful songs - in fact all of them, but the ones that impressed me the most are: 'Less Than A Pearl', 'Amarantine', 'The River Sings', 'Sumiregusa(Wild Violet)' and 'Drifting'.
Some of the best tracks - especially tracks 1 and 5 - are sung, not in english, nor gaelic, nor quenya or anykind of elvish (The Lord Of The Rings), nor any language we know... but Loxian Language - created by lyricist Roma Ryan(!) These are the most sublime tracks on the entire cd and the most satisfying ones too.
This new language - Loxian - you can find more details on the book by Roma Ryan - 'Water Shows The Hidden Heart' - wich is also the name of the last track in 'Amarantine'.
And the great of all 'Sumiregusa' is sung in japanese! This time Enya didn't sung in gaelic! And I love her singing in gaelic!
And the other fabulous track, 'Drifting', only instrumental and it's not - this time - the first of the album. This one sounds like a good classic composition! Yes! Believe me!
The other tracks are good but not so good as the ones found in the other previous Enya cds! But enjoy! If you like Enya, please buy it! Anyway, it IS so hard for us to get a new cd by Enya so we just have to crab it when the chances came.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely sumptuous - but I admit to being biased., 23 Dec 2007
I admit it, I am a massive fan of Enya, from the moment I heard Orinoco Flow. I have all her albums, singles and compilations. In my book, she was the start of New Age music. So, I admit to being biased! Her albums take a while to make and the wait is difficult to take. However, when she releases an album, she delivers a 4 or 5 star album.

I agree with the sentiments from Paul of the Netherworld, my fellow reviewer from Brighton who, in his review of the CD single of Amarantine, spoke about other music which exists and tends to dominate the charts.

In the desert, there is always an oasis, and in today's predominantly arid music scene, here is that oasis - another lovely Enya album. The title track is quite similar to "Only Time", and the album reminds me of "A Day Without Rain", except that Enya sings in Japanese, as well in Loxian, the elvish language 'invented' by Roma Ryan, Enya's lyricist. The album shows that Enya has again, made most (not all) of her fans happy. The album is slightly short but, with quality this high, that is not an issue for this reviewer. There are great tracks to sing along too, and her voice, the overdubbing harmonies and the understated instrumentation, make this another lovely album.

The Christmas disk, four tracks released as a CD single as well as a Christmas extra to the original album has, again, all the hallmarks of Enya's music, beautiful musical arrangements overlaid with glorious, multi-tracked voices.

Four tracks: "Adeste, Fideles" (or "O Come All Ye Faithful", sung in Latin) is just wonderful and should be a Christmas number 1 (it's the second song on the "It's In The Rain" single (see my review of that); "We Wish You A Merry Christmas", as you've never heard it sung before (it's had an Enya makeover and sounds like Christmas Pudding with Brandy Butter) given to someone who can't get enough of it, it's so good; and two original Enya/Roma Ryan songs - "The Magic Of The Night" and "Christmas Secrets", two more beautiful tracks, which make this EP just about the best thing since Turkey and all the trimmings! This is a sheer delight, which you can wallow in if you so desire.

Completely sumptuous!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very similar to 'A Day Without Rain', 10 Jan 2006
This review is from: Amarantine (Audio CD)
I always glow with excitement when news of a new Enya album comes to light.
I was about five or six when Enya started releasing hits such as 'Orinocco Flow' and 'Anywhere Is' and will admit that my young ears hated her unique sound. I became a fan five years ago with the release of 'A Day Without Rain'. I say fan, more of an obsessive compulsive!
'Amarantine' is very similar to 'A Day Without Rain'... it could quite easily be 'A Day Without Rain' - Disk 2 infact.
Unfortunately, there isn't much of a variety between songs... they all blend together and sound very similar. I listened with bated breath and was hoping for a real humdinger as each track finished and a new one began. I felt a little empty and disappointed after listening to all 12 tracks in succession.
However, it's the kind of album that grows on you the more you listen. I've also discovered that listening to Enya whilst under the effects of alcohol *ehem* is a whole and completely different experience! I decided to listen to 'Amarantine' after drinking a few beers and actually found myself enjoying and appreciating it a whole lot more!
I'd say that my favourite tracks are 'Amarantine' followed by 'It's In The Rain'. I'd wager that 'It's In The Rain' will become Amarantine's signature track. It's classic Enya with great sweeping vocals and lyrics.
A nice addition to anyone's Enya collection, but I'd like to see a more varied, longer and more adventurous album next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Enya album yet!, 21 Nov 2005
This review is from: Amarantine (Audio CD)
I have been an Enya fan since 'The Memory of Trees', 'Book of Days' being my all time favourite track.
The album is absolutely wonderful and well worth the wait. Although ADWR seemed to chart new ground for Enya in terms of increasing use of strings and a new simplicity of arrangement influenced by classical music, I felt it was too spartan, too short and underdeveloped.
'Amarantine' to me sees Enya continue with this exploration and refine it to a much higher degree. In addition the raw power and mystique that we knew from the earlier albums (think 'Storms in Africa', 'Book of Days' etc) is back with a vengeance. Another strength of this album is that it seems much more varied in composition, instrumentation and arrangement than ADWR. This fusions makes 'Amarantine' her most well developed work to date in my opinion.
Highlights of the album for me are many. 'Less than a Pearl' conveys a power reminiscent of Adiemus. 'In the Rain' has a beautiful chord progression and is a close relative of 'China Roses'. 'The River Sings' again shows us a power and force in Enya's music that I thought was lost after TMOT. Does the river burst its banks in the end? 'Long Long Journey' again is classically Enya with roots seemingly in traditional folk melodies. 'Amid the Falling Snow' is another personal favourite, principally because of the beautiful chord progression and harmonies. 'Water Shows the Hidden Heart' is the obvious progression in a new depth of composition that was tentatively explored in La Sonadora, then came into being with 'Isobella', found widespread acclaim in 'May It Be' and now has been developed to its highest. Many say that this is the most beautiful song on the album and I quite agree.
In addition the quality of the sound is exemplary, testamount no doubt to the quality of the equipment in Aigle studios.
I will always have favourites from other albums, but I have found 'Amarantine' to be her most rounded and well developed work to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, 21 Nov 2005
Hi there,
I am from the UK and I bought the album today, the release day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A vocal suggestion if you like Enya, 20 Sep 2006
This review is from: Amarantine (Audio CD)
I love Enya and her layered voices but had the chance to discover another alternative a little more rhythmical, organic, world. I found River of Soul from Marcome on her official website. Layered voices, lyrics with a wordless language, lots of different colors too. Her first album Seven Seas is closer to Enya style. Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, 22 Feb 2006
This review is from: Amarantine (Audio CD)
I bought this album without having heard any of the tracks from it, and I'm really glad I did because it's another wonderful album from Enya, with the beautiful otherworldly feel to it and some really catchy songs too! Fans should definitely get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the 5 year wait, 19 Feb 2007
This review is from: Amarantine (Audio CD)
After a 5 yearlong wait,Enya strikes gold with Amarantine. Typical Enya,typical genius.Whats good with Enya is that her songs always excel in one department be it the lyrics, voice, background music. At least one of these 3 reach perfection. Her use of similitudes as in "Ever and Always, Ever and Always (in Memory of Trees) and in this case 'In the way the day will flow, All things Come , all things Go (It's in the Rain) is very evocative and descriptive.

Amarantine