5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond comprehension
For about an hour i have been trying to write a review. I have revised and restarted so many times that i have lost count. It is so hard to compare this album to fallen. This is because Fallen sold MILLIONS of albums and to say that it was very successful would be an understatement. However The Open Door offers so much more than Fallen. With The Open Door you can really...
Published on 10 Jan 2008 by J. Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but struggles in comparison with "Fallen"
Published on 16 Dec 2006 by alextorres

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but struggles in comparison with "Fallen", 16 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
I suppose if "The Open Door" had been Evanescence's first album, instead of 2003's splendid "Fallen", then this review might be more favourable. As it is, "Fallen" set a tough standard to emulate - the task made more complicated by the departure of key members of the band, in particular Fallen's guitarist and co-writer Ben Moody - and Evanescence have failed to do it. "The Open Door" is significantly poorer than "Fallen".

In rebuilding the band following "Fallen", Amy has decided to play safe and produced an album that is almost a carbon-copy of "Fallen" - unfortunately, "almost" is the key word, as one would be forgiven for thinking that the songs here were those considered and rejected during the production of that album.

The Evanescence trade-mark sound, defined by "Fallen", is still there - strong guitar riffing dominates and puts it overall into the metal-side of rock, but at a slower tempo than most metal, and the sound is softened by the interspersed melodies carried on Amy's beautifully delivered vocals and by delicate piano or keyboard/string arrangements. What is lacking is that spark of inspiration that would have transformed the workmanlike songs of "The Open Door" into the world-beaters of "Fallen".

It's actually quite difficult to single out a particular track as outstanding or appalling from this set as they are all average - and "average" sums up this album.

Having said all that, Amy Lee, the vocalist and co-writer of both albums deserves credit for keeping the Evanescence band going, as it would have been a shame to have lost them after a single album. Evanescence is now clearly her band and it is her responsibility to take forward, or not, as she wishes. I for one hope she does persevere

If you're a big fan of "Fallen" and want to hear this album, then check it out with a friend first. If you're new to Evanescence, then go for "Fallen"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on top., 5 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
It WAS well worth the wait. A vivid collection of songs that delve perhaps a little deeper than that of Fallen. The absence of Ben Moody is not with notice, some of the more catch melodies have gone - but in their place is an angst ridden vocal delivered by a unique artist - Amy Lee.

Highlights for me include: Weight Of The World, All I'm Living For & of course Call Me When You're Sober.

In a world where the likes of Kelly Clarkson & Pink dip their toe in a world of Rock, Evanescence has proved that it takes a little more guts, and little more power and just a little bit more 'world wearyness'. Order it now, come October, when the fire's roaring, wind howling and red wine pouring - you'll wonder what winter warmth was.

4.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, but be prepared..., 30 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
Fist of all, Amy's vocals are incredible as ever. Her performance overall is beyond 'wow'. The only gripe I have with her voice, however, is the way she sometimes puts it to use. It's effective and dynamic on some songs (i.e. Call Me When You're Sober) and completely bastardised on others (Cloud Nine). She pushes herself to the limit vocally on this record. This she is completely capable of, but I do I feel that her thunderous roar loses its novelty.
The songwriting is hugely inspiring and a big change from Fallen due to the departure of Ben and Dave. Although the song quality on this album is excellent, I do feel that Amy's pressure to prove herself got in the way of several tracks. 'Like You', for example is a beautifully melodic song that is spoiled by an overly ambitious chorus. These are only minor things however, and Amy and shows off her bizarringly good writing talents with tunes such as 'Good Enough', 'Your Star' and the best song on the album 'Lithium'.
The guitars are ferociously heavy compared to Fallen. Terry Balsamo utilises his heavy-metal know-how with melodious and hammering riffs that fit all the songs perfectly. Orchestration is not very prominent on The Open Door as it is on songs such as 'Whisper', but it adds a very nice touch when around.
Production on this album is very, very good and tastefully expressive. While I was annoyed by some reverb and seemingly gratuitous over-production at first I now feel that every song is brought to its full potential through mood, sound effects and good old-fashioned rock n' roll grittiness to compliment Lee's taste for the grunge genre.
This album is one in a million and I'd highly recommend it for those who like to sit down and listen. It's genius, but a flawed genius, if that makes any sense, and all the better for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two way album, but awesome all the same., 1 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
The Open Door is the probably the most mixed view album i've ever listened to. You either love it, like it or hate it but it's certainly not one of the albums that will collect dust at the back of your shelf. If you're poetic and lyrical TOD is a complete must buy; Lee's obvious talent in writing shows mostly in Lose Control; it's stunning metaphors and unique construction calls for the repeat button; Lithium; I hugely favoured song for the wrong reasons; Granted the guitars and music are good if you listen to the song all together but when you really take it apart and listen to what's being said it's moving and thought provoking; Good Enough; My personal favourite due to it's change in mood which is very touching and will be a song that you want to fall asleep to; The Last Song I'm Wasting On You; A hidden track which I recommend trying to find due to its beauty in simplicity and the stunning vocal peaks along with a fine piano part modulating to give Lee's voice and the powerful lyrics a boost. Defiantly an Ev fan must buy but for music critics and people who are just moving into this type of music, you have to have a pure love for lyrics I'm afraid because, barring Weight of the world and Your star, unlike in Fallen you won't be able to find any electric smashes and violent guitar solos, however those with a love for bass parts will probably be more pleased. I couldn't catorgorise this album into any type if I'm telling the truth. If i really had to I'd just say a variety of rock far from death metal and the likes of rap.

Overall lyrics get a 1000/1000, music a 8/10, Structure of the songs get a 9/10 and effort a 10 on Amy's part especially.

I hope my review has guided you more and maybe persuaded you to support Evanescence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lavish & Complex, 20 Sep 2006
M. J. Lewis "M Lewis" (West Midlands, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
I really didn't like this when I first heard it... I thought I wouldn't get used to it, but I have, and I love it. The review below is so long and does have some valid points.

To the last reviewer. You might want to check the lyric book that came with the CD... The lyrics to Your Star are so awful because you've got them wrong really... It's:

"And I'm alone now. Me and all I stood for.. We're wondering now. All In parts and pieces, swim lonely.. Find your way out"

This album is much more complex than Fallen, which was an instant hit for me. It's when I became obsessed. On first listen of TOD, the only track I liked was Lithium. I think it's a powerful ballad with some good lyrics and piano. I love Evanescence and their use of piano in songs.. but I Have to say, their piano in The Open Door seems a bit lazy compared to Hello and My Immortal off Fallen. For example, there's just a few notes scattered in Lacrymosa, Like You, The Only One etc. Some more complex chords would have added another good element to their songs off this album.

I disliked the weird sounds that were incorperated in the album at first. For example, the introduction to The Only One, Snow White Queen and Lose Control (Which does have some strange lyrics). But, as Amy Lee said, this album is not all serious, about being saved from the dark etc. There are elements of fun to the album and if you take it seriously you won't like it.

I just want to take a paragraph to focus on Lacrymosa, which is the highlight of The Open Door. So many elements to it, with a very powerful moment when the guitars kick in. The 30 second trailer with this in gave me chills. It was so powerful in vocals and intense in the guitar sound. However, when I heard it in full, it wasn't as face paced and intense as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic song. I think I just expected too much having heard the trailer. This song is the only one on the album that features a guitar solo, and it is poor, compared to the standard of Fallen. The solos in Whisper, Haunted, and Going Under beat Lacrymosa's by far. Having said that, it's still an amazing track.

The lyrics are still up to scratch, but they're much more literal than Metaphorical. You only need to compare Hello with Like You to see how much more literal she is with expression. However, Snow White Queen has some amazing lyrics, particularly in the bridge. Similarly, Sweet Sacrifice has some powerful lyrics as well as vocals.

In conclusion, it does take getting used to, but I did get used to it and I do love this album, but I do also still love Fallen. They've simply moved on into a more creative direction, using many weird sounds and distortions, which can be distracting, but takes their music in a new direction. After all, it beats making a second Fallen. I'm sure that would have been a criticism had it been the case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to judge, 28 Dec 2006
K. Wheeler "hughjampton" (Swanage, England) - See all my reviews
Open letter:

Amy, you still have a fabulous voice - and that's not just my opinion, but that of professional singers (choral, as well as mainstream); and your lyrics still have the epic nature to them that you spoke of in interviews for Fallen, although one or two are more like short stories by comparison (notably Call Me When You're Sober - I guess we have to imply the strength of feeling from the amount of repetition).

My only regret is that we cannot HEAR these things this time - the backing music is so loud we have to read from the insert to find out what you are trying to say. Surely that defeats the whole object of great lyrics. I we have to refer to something at the time then we're not experiencing the piece as a whole because our attention is elsewhere. ("Oh, that's what the word was. Damn, I missed a bit")

We would have given it 3 stars as our average as far as the album stands alone, but I have a focus problem that actually eases when I concentrate on multiple subjects simultaneously - yes, freak! - so I gave it 4 as I'm the one writing it!

Please, please make the next one less difficult to enjoy.

K.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Genius!, 29 Dec 2006
R. Edwards "MrRob" (Plymouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
I loved Fallen, It was/still is one of my all time favourite albums.

I have been waiting for this second album for so long, I was beginning to get worried - what if it was no good? How could they possibly follow Fallen with something as good?

When I first got it it, I bunged it in the stereo and started listening. The first track was odd, but ok. The second started to sound a bit more like the Evanescence from Fallen and by the third track I was hooked. I listened to it 3 times in a row ( I was driving from Bristol to Plymouth)

It is Fantastic, not quite as good as the first album, but an excellent effort from Amy Lee and co. Definitely a bit more experimental than the first but I find that distinctly refreshing. It does bore me when bands just chuck out 5 or 6 albums full of the same song (like Oasis). Evanescence dared to be bold and have pulled it off superbly.

I admit, not everybodys cup of tea, but Evanescence fans will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars a really good cd, 1 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
i really think that this is a very good album.when i first heard it i didn't actually like it but then i gave it a second chance and i totally loved it.the only song from the cd that i don't like is 'like you' but all the other songs are very good with nice lyrics and amazing music.if you are a real fan of evanescence you'll definately love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Open Door by Evanescence!, 28 Mar 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
Evanescence has always been a band i've liked and i say that as someone who doesn't usually go for rock/Metal music. This album is great to listen to and Amy Lee's voice really is a stunner. The combination of heavy music and her amazing voice really works. Lithium being my personal favourite of the lot. A great price for a great album and a must for any fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 27 April 2013
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
what can i say as a pink floyd fan,outstanding and a valued part of my collection,made a copy to listen to in the car

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

The Open Door
The Open Door by Evanescence (Audio CD - 2009)