4.0 out of 5 stars confidence on the ice
Published on 5 Jan. 2010 by Mrs. T. Eadington

3.0 out of 5 stars Great in limited conditions but easily damaged
If the conditions are right these are fantastic spikes but it's important to recognise their limitations.

Published on 2 Feb. 2010 by Nobody Famous

4.0 out of 5 stars confidence on the ice, 5 Jan. 2010
Mrs. T. Eadington "trudi" (blyth, northumberland, u.k.) - See all my reviews
agree totally with previous review. had a few problems getting my grippers properly on shoe. came off a few times until I got the hang of making sure toe piece came well over front of footwear but was very pleased that I stuck with it. Have tested grippers on sheet ice and on different gradients and have been sure footed. Am going to buy some for Christmas presents for next year. Great stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great in limited conditions but easily damaged, 2 Feb. 2010
Nobody Famous (The West Country, UK) - See all my reviews

They work best when there is ice or compacted snow at least a centimetre or so thick. In those conditions they really do stop you slipping and give you the confidence to walk at full speed. If the ice is too thin or is patchy (maybe part of the pavement has been cleared or the ice is melting) then they are much less useful. When the spikes hit a pavement they become awkward to walk on. You won't slip but it's not as easy to walk. When in patchy ice conditions I found myself having to seek out ice just to keep the spikes working.

This limitation is annoying when we have to deal with partial ice or slushy conditions more often than really solid ice and snow. Of course the spikes aren't designed to work in these conditions. I lost a spike straight away on a small cleared patch of pavement and the rubber that forms the straps is quite soft and will quickly wear out if it rubs on pavements. After perhaps 2 miles walking on icy pavements with a few small clear patches, the rubber is starting to wear.

My advice would be, only use them in completely icy or snowy conditions and you'll love them. When the ice is reducing don't use them or be prepared to damage them or wear them out.

5.0 out of 5 stars nifty bit of kit, 8 Jan. 2010
Mimzi (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
I found these Traction Aids quite impossible to put on to shoes I was wearing so fitted them to a spare pair which I could keep handy to change into when I wanted to go outside. Bending an empty shoe is considerably easier. They were very good on the icy patio for me to get to the bird feeders/dustbins/etc but I haven't actually used them on the streets because I keep indoors as much as possible in the bad weather due to my creaky knee joints but I am not surprised other reviewers have found them good. Got creaky fingers too hence the struggle to fix these Aids on my shoes as another reviewer said

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Stuff, 31 Dec. 2009
Does what it says. Really does grip the ice and stops you falling. Used over the last few weeks and felt safer when out walking. My only negative comment is that you need to be pretty strong to pull them onto the shoe. Not sure how easiely someone would be able to fit them over the footwear if they were a frail or weak. Still a very good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars User-friendly Safety, 24 Nov. 2010
Chinatown Blue "cthulhoid" (S-O-T, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought the LRG-XLRG size of these, as I wear size 9 ladies' boots in winter to allow for extra thick socks. They went on with ease, and adjusting the position was equally easy; they came off easily as well, which is important if (like me) you have poor ability to balance on one foot, and need to be able to slip them off quickly when going indoors. Having tried them on a light coating of ice and on black ice (quite by accident), the grip is pretty good, far better than I have had from even the best winter boots. I am not sure how they would perform on thicker ice, but I would guess that they would be fairly effective, given how they have done so far. They come with a set of spare studs, so I tested how hard they were to swap over; it couldn't have been simpler, and they seem to stay put when firmly pushed home. They lose one star because I found them just a little uncomfortable to walk in, especially on the ball of the foot. But I have arthritis in my feet and they are somewhat sensitive, so it might not affect other people as much. And the rubber is a bit thin; I imagine you might find them snapping after a lot of use or if your feet are a bit bigger, so be sure to get the right size. Apart from that, I found them an excellent solution to icy pavements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Jan. 2010
Should have bought them in the last cold snap. Walking round our village is lethal due to the compacted snow / ice combined with 2 pulling dogs. I was doubtful at first but was amazed at the security they gave me. Highly recommended. Unlike the above, had no trouble putting the large size (42-45 I think) onto my size 42 wellies but they toe 'hole' is a bit small for wellies although they haven't come off yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safety first item for senior citizens, 8 Jan. 2010
Mr. Brian H. Garner (Devon,England) - See all my reviews
A truly brilliant product,have enabled me to walk my dog with confidence no matter what condition of the paths be they ice or snow.This product should be supplied to every senior citizen it would save the NHS a fortune from avoided falls and fractures.

5.0 out of 5 stars keep safe, 10 Jan. 2010
Mrs. Margaret A. Martin (devon) - See all my reviews
I had these as a present last year and did not think I would use them. What a mistake, I have used them every day for the last few weeks, they have helped me to get out and get my shopping and walk the dog without worrying about slipping. They did come off on the long icy grass and i lost them for a bit but after that I tied a shoelace around them through the loops on them to my shoes and they are now secure even in deep snow. fantastic can truly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping stuff!, 13 Jan. 2010
Fantastic product - Really makes a difference in the snow, slush and ice. Easy to whip on and off both approach shoes and walking boots, which I have been using in the current cold snap. They have even been ok for walking on 'thawed' pavements and roads between icy patches with no feeling of imbalance. Just remember to take them off before you walk on your laminate floors at home! Good price for avery simple and effective bit of kit - the nice thing is that you only need one pair which can be used on almost any shoe or boot!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Priceless Item For This Big Freeze, 8 Jan. 2010
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Get A Grip Before You Slip are springy covers which you can put on your shoes to stop you falling or sliding on the snow and ice. They have studs which fit into the holes and have a 1/4 inch (around 1.5cm) stud which grips onto the snow and ice and lets you move as you would do during a normal walk - I have been on 2 mile walks to the shops and have not had a fall - only once did I have a slight slip, but some clumsy so and so split a drink on the pavement making it impassable - otherwise these are a real gem, and fit well on your shoes, and don't look stupid, as they're springy wire which fits comfortably on your trainers without any problems.

Highly recommended, without these I wouldn't have been able to go to the shop.

Get A Grip Everyday Traction Aid Small-Medium