5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and convenient
I subscribed to the FT the same day I received my Kindle. Got the first issue within minutes of placing my order. The product has met my exectations as I have been wanting to subscribe to FT for some time but they do not deliver hardcopy papers to my home and with the online version I won't have time to read it until I get home in the evening at which point some of it...
Published on 8 Oct 2010 by Trevor J Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly effective - and useful
I took up the two-week free subscription offer on 27th August 2010. Delivery started the next day. The Kindle automatically selects from Wifi (first choice) and GSM delivery methods and even when overseas on GPRS networks, delivery is smooth and takes only a minute or two maximum from switch on.

No advertisements are included. Thus you might miss an important...
Published on 1 Sep 2010 by M. Dalgleish

3.0 out of 5 stars not as easy to read yet as the paper version but useful financial updates on holiday, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Financial Times - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
the statistics are difficult to access which is annoying n a paper dedicated to finance. The lay out was understandable but the content very restricted compared to the paper edition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite The Finished Article, 10 Nov 2013
Jonathan (Leigh-on-Sea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Financial Times - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
The weekend edition crashes my Kindle Paperwhite (new version) when I try and open any articles, needless to say it's not for me then.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Financial Times - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
The FT does not download automatically to my kindle fire. Sometimes even after a lot of fiddling around, I cannot get the latest version. In fact I found it such a waste of time trying to download the latest version that I haven't read it now for a couple of weeks and I will ask for a refund.
When I did read it, I was surprised by the typo.
Also the weekend edition - is difficult to find. Maybe it's not included. In which case, why?

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective - but no good in the conservatory, 17 Jun 2013
R. Simons (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Financial Times - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
With my annual subscription to the FT coming up for renewal, I decided to try out the Kindle app as an alternative which is both less expensive and avoids cutting down trees and transporting stuff around the place.

The first week of my trial I ran on my phone while walking in the Shetlands. I was very pleased with the app's effectiveness in allowing me to read the FT's content on my phone: they seem to have sorted out the problems mentioned in earlier reviews about navigating around the articles The problems which I had were with getting a good enough mobile phone signal for long enough to be able to download an entire issue (you aren't able to read anything if it fails to download an entire issue). In this respect the Kindle version is much better than the FT's own ePaper as the very small images mean that an entire issue is roughly 5 Mb rather than 50 Mb. It is also much better than ft.com as the entire issue is cached on your machine so you are still able to access all the articles when you are out of signal. One oddity: on my phone the characters "fl" came out as the symbol ">" so I read about ">ights" and ">owers".

I returned home for the second week of my trial and switched to using an 8" tablet. The larger display makes the app even better here than on the phone. Yet the ready availability of the physical newspaper as an alternative highlights the real problem with the technology: it's just not up to being used where light levels are high. I like to read in my conservatory. With a physical newspaper it is pure pleasure. With a tablet I am struggling.

With regret, I renewed my subscription to the physical FT and cancelled my trial of the Kindle version.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you forget to download an issue, you cannot get that issue, 21 Mar 2013
Financial Times - UK Edition
I enjoy getting the FT on my Kindle. It is easy to read on a packed train or tube, it's not like trying to fold an OS Map! I find it a lot faster to read than the hardcopy, flicking through articles is very easy and the content works well on the Kindle format. I also find myself reading more of the FT and absorbing more as well.

BUT, and it is a major but, if I forget to turn on my WIFI the Kindle will of course not download that day's issue of the FT. That's fine. But the issue is that it will NEVER download that day's issue. The Kindle will only download the most recent issue of the FT. That would be fine if you were paying per issue, but you are not.

If your Kindle cannot access the internet for a complete day you will not and never can get that day's FT issue and your money goes down the drain.

That is ridiculous.

If you phone the FT they do not want to know, as apparently the Kindle subscription has nothing to do with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why is the Financial Times not available on Kindle Fire HD?, 7 Jan 2013
Can someone tell me why the Financial Times is not available on Kindle Fire HD,
yet it is available on the Kindle e-reader?
It's madness!

1.0 out of 5 stars FT on Kindle, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Financial Times - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
Financial Times - UK EditionI was able to access The Financial Times - UK Edition on Kindle but it is not yet available for the Kindle Fire. This is a great pity and I am sure that it will hold back its take-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & convenient, 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: Financial Times - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
After reading the paper version for more than 20 years I finally switched to the Kindle subscription and wondered why I didn't do it earlier. I'm quite selective in my FT reading (Lex, comments, market report) and the Kindle version is ideal for that. Free 3G also allows for downloads without roaming charges when travelling, which is useful. Full marks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but for one big drawback, 12 Nov 2010
This review is from: Financial Times - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
First, the good bit. While the UK Kindle edition has far less content than the online version of the FT, you will end up getting much more out of the FT if you read it on Kindle. That's because the Kindle format encourages you to work your way through every article in the the paper in turn. Initially I was delighted with it.

Now the problem. As far as I can tell, if you leave your Kindle switched off on a particular day, or at least leave the wireless function switched off, you will not receive the FT edition for that day at all, i.e. it doesn't "catch up" but just downloads the edition for the day you switch the Kindle/wireless back on. That means you don't get all of the content you pay for.

There must be plenty of other busy FT readers like me who, for example, spend long periods on planes and may therefore end up leaving their Kindles, or at least the wireless function switched off on a particular day. For a publication like the FT, it's very important for me to be able to catch up with the previous day's paper if I miss it. Even when I'm not travelling, I'd like to be able to leave wireless switched off on days when I don't have time to look at my Kindle as battery life seems to take a big hit if you leave wireless on all the time.

I'm sure there's some way of playing with the settings to get every day's edition to your PC and then synching it across, but this defeats the whole point of getting a 3G Kindle - i.e. not having to carry a laptop around, and not being a slave to wifi hotspots/suffering high 3G roaming charges.

If it weren't for this stupid major drawback I'd give the FT edition of Kindle at least four stars rather than two.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive, 17 Oct 2010
This review is from: Financial Times - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
Considering the reduction in content the price is astronomical. Think I'll stick to the website subscription.

Financial Times - UK Edition