5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely underrated
In my opinion this is David Bowie's most underrated album. A clear leap in class from his early recordings it contains moments of great beauty, sadness and intensity.
Although the title track is perhaps over familiar these days it's still an effective track - the central message of a space traveller choosing to abandon earth is actually pretty powerful and gets lost...
Published on 17 Sep 2002 by bowieclone

3.0 out of 5 stars Bowie's most 'loved-up' album for sure
Having been a fan of his music since I was eight years old (Starman on Top Of The Pops in 1972!) I have now decided the time is right to do a little review of all his albums on Amazon. As a naive and impressionable child, I had no concept of the chronology of Bowie's work, and didnt actually hear this album until the summer of '77, by which time he was light years beyond...
Published on 30 July 2008 by C. J. Cunningham

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a big improvement on recent reissues, 14 Oct 2009
T. Bucknall - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Oddity 40th Anniversary Edition - Limited Edition (Audio CD)
I'm very happy with the mastering on this, especially after how bad the ziggy 2cd was
i heard hiss on at least one of the tracks on disc 2 so its not been butchered with no-noise yay!

the italian space oddity has a diff vocal take than the version on the "rare" LP
the S.O. demo is indeed diff to the Sound and vision box set, Hutch sings the 1st verse alone and theres other small differences

the thing i'm most happy about is the quality of P-Star, London Bye Ta Ta and the b-side version of freecloud
they totally wipe the floor with my horrible Tinny Ryko 6LP sound and vision box

the one remaining hole in my collection now is a decent sounding MWSTW, i was going to spring for an old LP but , i guess its now possible that they'll give us a nice CD version like space oddity at some point

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Oddity is Bowie's "Double White" - slightly pretentious but brilliantly philosphical, 18 Jun 2012
A Boys "Tony" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Oddity (Audio CD)
Space Oddity is Bowie's first major album if you exclude the compilation 'London Boy' and it's a seminal work which sets out many of the characters and concepts which he built on later.

As such it's possibly my favourite of all the Bowie albums for the variety of moods and characters which he explores, and the quite candid insight into his preception of the world he lived in at this time.

A variety of themes are explored from religious hypocracy (God Know's I'm Good) to the small town neophobia which he doubtless endured himself. Distinct traces of Bowie's omnipresent Messiah complex too in 'The Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud' and in 'Cygnet Committe' which later formed a core of the Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane themes.

Possibly an acquired taste but for me a definite "must listen" for any Bowie fans, timeless and always relevant as so many of his works are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bowie as Folk Hippy, 8 May 2010
This review is from: Space Oddity (Audio CD)
Despite many inspired moments I just can't quite give this album full marks, which would put it on a par with Hunkydory or Ziggy Stardust. Being a work of an as yet unpolished talent, he shows his influences and his working more obviously than he would do later. But that is not to say it doesn't achieve a unique atmosphere different from anything else in his catalogue. The title track is of course great and deservedly yielded his first hit as it juxtaposes a space launch account with a drug-trip metaphor. However where would the next single come from in this curate's egg of an album? A song less than 40 seconds long ('Don't Sit Down')? Or an epic one at almost 10 minutes ('Cygnet Committee')? 'Janine' is infectious and well produced yet was mysteriously passed over as a single choice and 'An Occasional Dream' is a sublime snippet of hippie reverie. 'Letter to Hermione' is rare autobiographical depiction of a a raw emotional wound being licked: something Bowie would arguably never do again on record (his first wife Angie Bowie for example was never immortalised by name in any of his 70's output). The more derivative tracks on the album are its relative disappointments. 'Unwashed and Somewhat, Slightly Dazed' is a pastiche of late 60's Dylan and the Stones; 'Memory of a Free Festival' recalls the Beatle's Hey Jude with it's anthemic outtro; and 'God Knows I'm Good' - far from being a provocative sexual boast as the title suggests - is in fact a Donovan-style social protest song about pensioners. Bowie also at times writes here in a narrative lyrical style that he would later abandon completely for a more sophisticated lyrical expressionism. So, an unusual and important part of Bowie's legacy, but still not the finished product that we came to expect from the most consistent artist of the 70's. Buy it for the beautiful twelve string guitar tracks ('Letter to Hermione'), some great singalong choruses ('Janine' and 'Memory of a Free Festival') and some hallmark impenetrable Bowie lyricism ('Cygnet Committee')

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty in the English World, 1 Nov 2001
Paul S. Whiston "Diga" (Lunacuem) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Oddity (Audio CD)
This is still laden with the kind of narrative songs that came out of the deram era... it even includes a track Bowie recorded while at deram (space odditty) tho this isnt that version... it is just a beautiful picture of a man alienated from what we call England - Most noticable on such track Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud... one of my favourites from the album, and the sci-fi folk of Memory of A free Festival is a delight as it fades out ad finitum with the chant of "the sun machine is coming down and were gonna have a party" this album is really just beautiful... Cygnet Commitee is an epic sounding 9 minute slice of a more jaded hippie philosophy... Bowie knows the 60s are over and it'll never be as good again... until the next album!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last EMI back on track...., 19 Nov 2009
David Newman (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
I have to say when news came about that this record was going to get the E(very) M(istake) I(maginable) remastering with bonus tracks I was thinking about the past few years of balls ups by EMI and Bowie re-issues. To my suprise this time around they actually got pretty much as good as one could have expected.

My only complaint would be that there could have been some more vaired demo versions of songs instead of a few repeats of the same song bar the mixes.

All in all defnly worth picking up a copy of this re-issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Oddity is the best Bowie LP ever and as a download comes at a great price which saves my original vinyl copy!, 21 April 2013
M. Daniels "Camcorder Man" (Grantham Lincs UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Oddity (MP3 Download)
All the tracks from the original LP are here plus one extra. This LP is Bowie at his most lyrical and creative and before he embarked on outright sensationalism and noise production as opposed to writing great lyrics.An album to listen to over and over again - a great deal of melancholy here perhaps presages his later works.

5.0 out of 5 stars For David Bowie fans, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Space Oddity (Audio CD)
Bought this for my son for birthday he's a great David Bowie fan
Music is good with some of his hits

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating to hear it this good, 10 Jun 2013
The quality of this version is superior to previous ones, and the people who remastered it did a great job.
You have to have more than a passing interest in Bowie to want the early stuff, but there are some great songs on here, and this version has some intriguing alternate versions, outtakes and rarities.
Magnificent in its way, and the title track remains one of his greatest songs.
So good, in fact, that real spacemen have been playing it in Spdace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory of a Space Cadet, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Space Oddity (Audio CD)
Have to say there are loads of gems stacked up on this CD I bought it because I was suddenly transported in time by the title "Memory of a free Festival" for 2 reasons as it happens, 1 I had in mind a free concert I went to In Happy Valley In Old Coulsdon Surrey in the late 70's I think (not the same one Bowie had in mind) amongst others on the day we had Harpers Bizare and they were just as it said on the Tin, no the real memory was Colin Scot singing toons like "My Rain" and "Hey Sandy"
Secondly Bowie plays a Rosedale Chord organ as sold at F W Woolworth many moons ago and I actualy had one at some stage and was amazed anyone could actualy get a decent tune out of it.
Other Favourites include "Letter To Hermione" a lady Bowie once idolised so much he carried her ballet shoes, Also the Dark "Cygnet Committee" I have been a closet member ever since I first heard it, Lastly the Inspred and curious story of "The Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud" many fans of Ziggy would be surprised by some of this early material "God Knows I am Good" fits in to this unexpected tale category.
I think Bowie of this period, was in one of his most crative song writing phrases he was to go on to so much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars FOLK ROCK, SOFT ROCK and his first truly great LP., 14 Jan 2013
Mr Paul Savory (Wrexham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Space Oddity (Audio CD)
Before I bought this album I had only heard the single Space Oddity. I had owed a copy of Hunky Dory for years prior. If I had known that the pair are very similar then I would not have wasted years of "umm-in & rr-ing".Hunky Dory

The following info is designed to help new-comers to point them in the right direction for their own tastes.
The No. * rating is very personal to me and these ratings have never really changed in all the 33 years I've been listening to Bowie. They are how I rate the whole LP/cd compared to other BOWIE output.
During 1990 and 1991 EMI released digitally remastered cds under the title of "SOUND + VISION". Most had bonus tracks... some tracks are poor but some are worth getting.
The following list is not definitive but points out the most accessible cds to newbies of Bowie.

1967 DAVID BOWIE - try getting the DELUXE EDITION, or DERAM ANTHOLOGY (not as complete but a good collection). 60's pop / whimsical / musical hall / very folk. 2*
1969 SPACE ODDITY - Electric folk / folk / soft rock - just like Hunky Dory 5*
1970 - THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD - Rock / hard rock - not unlike early Black Sabbath. 4*
1971 - HUNKY DORY - Folk / folk rock - just like Space Oddity 5*
1972 - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (aka ZIGGY STARDUST) Rock / glam rock 4*
1973 - ALADDIN SANE - Rock / glam rock 3.5*
1973 - PIN-UPS - 60's cover versions in rock / glam style. 2*
1974 - DIAMOND DOGS. An Orwellian style, bleak lyrics, up-beat rock and shades of soul hidden within. 5*
1974 - DAVID LIVE - The soul is starting to come thru. Not rock, more funk in style but without the funk... confusing !! 1*
1975 - YOUNG AMERICANS - Soul / funk 3*, but every time I play it I think hang on, this is 5* (confused again !!). Try and get the version with, "Who can I be now?", "it's gonna be me" & "John, I'm only dancing, again".
1976 - STATIONTOSTATION - The start of electronics can be heard here. Soul / soft rock 5* at least.
1977 - LOW - and enter BRIAN ENO. This is my fave LP. Bleak, depressing, alienation and very electronic with quiet rock . 5* at least. Also see "Heroes".
1977 - "HEROES" - and BRIAN ENO. This is one of my fave LPs. Bleak, depressing, alienation and very electronic with quiet rock . 5* at least. Also see LOW.
1978 - STAGE - live and brilliant but with fade-outs and gaps between songs. 4*. Life is tried to be pumped into some tunes which are, for me, left more barren and desolate.
1979 - LODGER - and more BRIAN ENO. A right mishmash of sounds and tunes. Took me years to get into this LP. 3* Pop (in a word).
1980 - SCARY MONSTERS & SUPER CREEPS - and this is where I came in. Rock with hints of funk, depression and it contains "Up The Hill Backwards"... my all-time fave single (strange choice I know, especially when I adore Bohemian Rhapsody)
1983 - LET'S DANCE. Disco-esque / soft rock. 4*. This is Bowie's biggest selling LP.
1983 - ZIGGY STARDUST THE MOTION PICTURE. Rock/glam 3.5*
1984 - TONIGHT. See LET'S DANCE but only 1*.
1987 - NEVER LET ME DOWN - see TONIGHT but 2*
1989 91 - TIN MACHINE 1 & 2. Rock. Both 3*
1993 - BLACK TIE /WHITE NOISE Rock/pop with hints of modern R&B. 2*
1993 - THE BUDDHA OF SUBURBIA. Pop 3*
1995 - 1.OUTSIDE. God I was wetting myself to hear this when I heard it was the return of BRIAN ENO. God I was disappointed. It's a story (a murder mystery) with only patches of brilliant music. 1*
1997 - EARTHLING. Not knowing what drum & bass is, the making of this cd documentary kept referring to it an D&B. I never got into it. 2*
1999 - HOURS... - pop / soft rock 5*
2002 - HEATHEN - pop / soft rock 4*
2003 - REALITY. Omg, it's 10 years old now. I hadn't realised he had a new cd out upon my return after a holiday. So it went into the shopping trolley my wife was pushing and it has never been very far away from the cd player. For me, I can hear shades of ALADDIN SANE. Pop / rock 5*
2013 - THE NEXT DAY. With it's altered "Heroes" cover ...(to be updated after its release)

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›