4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much practical advice
Published on 16 Aug 2011 by S. A. Frecklington

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Feb 2010
A. M. Logue - See all my reviews
of Nina Garcia's three books this book is my favourite. I have read many books and magazines on trying to develop a key wardrobe and it all make sense after reading this, it's not about latest fashions or designer brands more what you are happy in and what looks good on you. Using a basic philosophy Nina guides you thought what you have what you need to get and perhaps more importantly what you need to get rid of. Unlike other articles and books on the subject Nina philosophy isn't shoved down your throat merely suggestions for developing ones own taste

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much practical advice, 16 Aug 2011
S. A. Frecklington (Lincoln, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the Kindle edition of this book as it was less expensive than Paula Reed's Style Clinic which received better reviews but I wish I hadn't as I was disappointed with this book. Although it was a fairly enjoyable read and the illustrations were nice (although their effect was lost a little in black and white on the Kindle), there was no real practical advice whatsoever which was what I was really looking for. After stating five 'must-have' items for your wardrobe (the same ones that come up in all publications of this type), there were no suggestions or photos of how to put outfits together. The advice of 'be yourself' is a bit lost when people clearly buy a book like this for some concrete ideas. Not the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Less really is more, 2 Oct 2009
J. Hobbs (North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Credit-crunching stuff this: how to do chic on the cheap. It starts where they all start; the dreaded wardrobe decluttering scene. But wait! In Nina World, you don't have to throw out those unfashionable outfits with seams that are pinned together from sentimentality alone. No, no. In Nina World, it's OK to attach memories and emotions to a garment; it doesn't have to be consigned to a black bin-bag. Nina, you see, knows that her area of expertise is style. She doesn't set out to be a psychologist or a quasi life coach. She allows you your quirks - encourages them, almost - and shows you how to develop an approach to style that is fundamentally yours.

Featuring hundreds of well-chosen quotes from both philosophers and style icons (Miss Piggy, etc), there are also lots of insights into the celebrity life, eg Which blonde star uses a well-known brand of baby shampoo to maintain her locks? Answer . . . read it yourself!

This is the third of Nina's gorgeous little books: beautifully illustrated and presented and over-flowing with tips, humour and common-sense. For me, it's a bath-time read. If you're considering buying the book as a gift: excellent choice. But you'll need to buy a copy for yourself too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Oct 2011
This was disappointing. I was expecting so much more from the reviews I had read. But I found it more of a philosophy than practical advice. I'm certainly no expert but it all seemed pretty basic to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new best friend, 11 July 2011
I am very glad I bought this book as it is easy to read, funny and has all the tips that every woman should now to create the perfect wardrobe and to buy wisely. It helped me to control my impulse to shop everything I like, which is very good as more of the things end at the bottom of the wardrobe never worn.
I recommend this book to everyone that needs an extra help with these issues, it is really worthy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple Style, 14 Oct 2013
Usa guide to looking and feeling better about yourself.
Some useful tips some returning favourites revived. Enjoy the new you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, no photos, 2 Oct 2013
Good reading, but did not contained much new things...and no there were no photos. Only drawings. Very bizarre idea in my opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very basic, 9 April 2013
Culture Enthusiast (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is the second book by Nina Garcia that I have read (picked up at local library as it is not worth buying it) and I really do not like any of the two. The advice is repetitive and in all honesty it is the same old same old. If you buy a copy of InStyle at the newsagent you will find far more interesting information for a fraction of the price. I found this book very basic and it looks like a marketing gimmick to exploit her "popularity" due to Project Runway. Very boring book considering she is the fashion editor for Marie Claire US.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor source of anything, 20 Dec 2011
Like all Nina Garcia's books - a waste of money. Nothing to read, get or know from this book. I wander all the good reviews of this book as i bought it of them, on who written them, as i really could not see any useful information

4.0 out of 5 stars style strategy, 5 Feb 2011
A useful book to make you think before you buy & not waste money buying clothes that don't add something/blend in with your existing wardrobe. I've not read it all. I like to "dip into" style books over a few weeks. Nina Garcia knows her stuff

The Style Strategy