Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Style Name: Body OnlyChange
Price:£730.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

First of all I would like to compliment Canon for continuing firmware updates on this 5 year old camera. Firmware version 2 has upped the already rich specs. The last firmware version 2.0.5 was posted just a couple of months ago. Other camera manufacturers (sorry Nikon) would make a camera redundant by producing an upgraded camera.
I have had this camera since it's release date, way back in 2009. My previous digital EOS camera was the D60 released in 2002, sporting a 6.3 megapixel crop sensor.

Through the years I was looking for a worthy upgrade to the D60, and after trying several models, I still found that none could beat it as regards IQ.

That all changed with the introduction of the EOS7D. Finally I had found the perfect camera to suit my needs:

Key Features:

✓ Zippy auto focus with 0 shutter lag
✓ "Phase detection" which has now been implemented in modern cameras. Firmware update 2 has really enhanced this feature. The EOS 7D was the first camera using phase rather than contrast detection
✓ Outstanding image quality
✓ Robust magnesium weatherproof body

.... the list is endless.

Many Amazon reviewers have gone through the specs years ago, so I will not bore you with repetition, however the new firmware update (which I have installed and can confirm Canon's statements are 100% true) has improved the following: (Quoted from Canon's website)

"The next evolution of the EOS 7D has arrived! Firmware Version 2.0.X brings the EOS 7D up to speed with the best technologies Canon has to offer, delivering performance and features befitting the flagship APS-C EOS DSLR. Firmware Version 2.0.X keeps the EOS 7D on the cutting edge of technological innovation by adding user-requested innovations developed for Canon's high-end EOS cameras: A higher maximum burst rate for continuous shooting, definable maximum limit for ISO Auto, compatibility with the Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2, and manual audio level adjustment. Additional enhanced features include faster scrolling of magnified images, quick control during playback, in-camera RAW image processing, JPEG image resizing and ratings, plus customization of file names and time zone settings. A significant upgrade, Firmware Version 2.0.X raises the performance on one of the most popular Canon EOS DSLRs ever created. Prepare to experience the power of the EOS 7D on a whole new level.
"Unqoute

This equates to increased capability of shooting up to 130 JPEG and 25 RAW images at 8.0 frames per second, from 126 JPEG and 15 RAW images at 8.0 fps. That means nearly double RAW picture capture prior to filling up the buffer.
Just do a search on wiki or other camera related sites if you want to know the specifications of this gem of a camera (keeping in mind the new firmware). I usually use specs as a guide, as after all nothing beats a hands on experience. The previous versions had great specs too yet I returned every camera prior to the EOS 7D.

I really like crop factor cameras, as they do offer around 30% more reach on the zoom front. So a 400mm lens would actually offer around 600mm.

Even though this camera could be perceived as "old", it still is the best bang for your buck, and the new firmware makes this camera even more compelling.

Firmware update site usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftware

Unless you really want video capability (where the 70D shines), I highly recommend this camera for enthusiasts and pro's alike.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 December 2009
In the last six years or so I've moved from a 300D to a 20D to a 5D, then back to a 40D in search of a balance between image detail, features and shooting speed. Image size was never really an issue as I'm not a pro, and the 50D just wasn't a big enough step over the 40D to make me upgrade a year ago. I love the 40D, it was the most "sorted" camera I'd ever used. So when the 7D came out I agonised over it and tested it a few times in shops - with mixed results since its version of RAW wasn't supported by Photoshop or DXO at the time. Then in a moment of madness I made the jump. And I'm VERY glad I did.

18 megapixels isn't where it's at for me with this camera and lots of tests have shown that it's still not quite got the resolving power of the full-frame 5DmkII - but then I've hardly taken a shot at more than medium image size or mRAW in the month I've owned it. What's really brilliant is the redesigned focusing and metering system, the unbelievable frame rate, the battery life (and a menu with information about the battery), the hi-res screen and real-world application of live-view tech that takes everyday photography to a completely new level (eg, held at arms length above your head). Also just how well balanced it feels in the hand and, I never thought I'd say this about a digital SLR: the movie mode. You might only use it once a month, and it sucks up a ridiculous amount of disk space but but it blows away handycams I've used for image quality.

There are a few minor downsides: for my liking JPGs are a bit soft, but I've ramped sharpness up in user settings and there is an "instant RAW" button that allows you to shoot an emergency duplicate RAW file without fiddling in the menus or having it on all the time with associated workflow problems. Also, in truth up to even large standard print sizes you'd be genuinely hard pressed to tell the difference between this and a good 40D image (or indeed a 20D image), but getting a good image is easier thanks to better metering and focus, and it's atarting to become more intuitive as I've got used to the camera. However if you use higher ISOs, pixel peep or crop images the difference in resolution becomes very noticable.

To sum up, the 7D is a genuine upgrade. Not just more megapixels, fancier menus and other augmented bits and pieces. It looks almost the same as a 40D/50D, and it still feels comfortably familiar as a consequence, but it is a new camera in almost all areas and a big leap forward for upgraders. Of course technology is no substitute for technique and there are many other DSLRs that will deliver stunning results at a fraction of the cost, new or second hand. But for die-hard amateurs like myself (or maybe canny pros) who have been on a Canon mid-range DSLR journey of discovery, this is the promised land.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 27 March 2010: Now been using the 7D for 5 months. I really like little electronic processing touches like auto lighting optimisation and lens-specific vignetting compensation that recognises my Canon lenses. Also, three custom dial settings let you store presets for certain situations - effectively replicating (with your own tweaks) some of the auto settings on the 40D. So I'm using C1 to dial in immediate shutter priority with AI Servo, centre-point focusing, partial metering, and full auto ISO for action shots. C2 is set up allowing me to achieve flash subject and background illumination in aperture priority mode by overriding the higher speed flash sync I've set as standard in custom functions. Finally I've set C3 to give me access to ISO expansion without fiddling with the menus. Speaking of ISO, since auto now goes up to 3200 with pretty good results I've been using manual and aperture priority more and more, letting the ISO do the work while I get DOF and shutter speed just right. Not one for 35mm purists obviously - but it proves the 7D's flexibility. Sadly, full resolution HD movies defeat my laptop and Adobe Premiere though they stream from the camera OK, but downsizing the resolution works fine (and uses less disc space). Still loving it!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
The 7d Rocks. Buy one.

Here's some more words to justify those 2 short sentences.

I'd been looking to upgrade for a while and it came down to the 5d MkII and the 7d. Budget played a part and whilst I would have loved the 5d's monstrous resolution I wasn't keen on its archaic autofocus system which was essentially lifted from the original 5d with little improvement. I own the original 5d and love the image quality but have found the autofocus wanting on many an occasion. My 5d also feels really slow compared to my 40d so I figured the 7d would give me even more responsiveness and was therefore the better choice for what I actually need it for (weddings, fashion, sport)

Anyway, I've used my new 7d and am very, very happy indeed. It has made my 5d feel like a clunky old brick but it's a hell of an upgrade!

The body feels solid and if you've had a Canon camera before you'll be right at home finding your way around the buttons. The camera is highly customisable and there are some amazing features in there. One of my favourites was the way you could turn on a grid in the viewfinder to aid composition. It's some kind of LCD overlay that is only visible when the camera is on but what an aid to composition! It removes the need to change the mirror in the camera and is a great function. Also, the individual AF points can be turned on or off in the viewfinder. Talking of AF there are now 19 points - any of which are selectable. The AF system has been updated and the AF points can work in small groups to aid accuracy. It's certainly given given me great hit rates so far.

We all know about the 8 fps shooting speed so there's not much to say there other than it's a great sports / wildlife camera with a feature like that. I have also found that speed useful on street fashion shoots. The camera is capable of filling even an 8gb card in no time at all when firing bursts so make sure you have pockets full of spares!

I think what's always the most important with any camera is simple image quality and again the 7d doesn't disappoint in the least. The 18mp resolution is a large and very noticeable jump from a 40d. The extra detail is immense and allows for a much higher degree of enlargement without pixelation occurring. The overall look of the images is very similar to the 40d so it's a testament to the 40d that its PQ is of a similar level to the 7d, it just lacks the outright resolution. With good lenses the camera is simply amazing.

The high resolution screen on the 7d is also a huge upgrade from what I'm used to. I can't honestly use the screens on my older camera bodies to make a fully informed judgement on whether an image is sharp or not as the screens just aren't up to it but the 7d's screen is infinitely better.

Battery life is superb. One time I fired around 650 shots through the camera with plenty of screen viewing thrown in and only used around 45% of the battery's power.

The RAW files from the 7d are big - averaging around 23mb. Compared to my 5d which are around 13mb this is again a huge leap. One reason for this is that the 7d captures 14-bits of information per pixel. So every pixel can have one of a possible 16 odd thousand values as opposed to the 12 bit capture of a 5d at 4 thousand odd values per pixel. What this means is on the newer camera there is more scope to pull back blown highlights and eke out extra shadow detail with smoother graduations.

I've been using Adobe's DNG converter to change the 7d's CR2 files into DNG's so I can open them in CS3. The latest version doesn't work on Vista so I had to downgrade to version 5.6.

High ISO operation is also good given how dense the sensor is with pixels. The original 5d still beats it at the higher values but it's usable at 3200 and goes all the way to 12,800.

The video modes are one area I've not delved into much being a stills person but the camera can capture full 1080p HD video. It can also do 720 and there are several frame rates including the cinematic 24fps. This is something I will explore in the coming weeks.

If you're a Canon user and have been trying to decide between the 7d and the 5d I think you have to ask what it is you need the most. If it's outright resolution and you don't want the crop factor the 7d's sensor will impose on you then the 5d mkii is the one to get. If you need more responsiveness and 8 frames a second then the 7d is the one. Yes the 5d will technically give you more pixels but unless you regularly enlarge prints to monstrous sizes or simply love pixel peeping the 7d will provide more than enough detail and pq for any assignment.

There are many features I've not covered but they are realistically standard on cameras these days such as live view and custom slots on the mode dial. Needless to say they're all here and are well implemented.

I have to chuck in my two pence worth over the quite common use of the term 'semi-pro' when referring to this camera. The term itself gets thrown around like people actually know what they're saying but really its a back handed swipe or way of looking down their nose at this camera because it's not a 1D - if you consider gear, or the photographer themselves, 'professional' purely on the basis that their camera shoots the highest frame rate and resolution then you're missing the point - and features will absolutely not make you a 'better' photographer simply because your camera has them. Yes, professionals tend to have top of the line gear most often because they have the most broad ranging capabilities, but if a camera does what YOU need it to that's all that matters; Let's not forget Cartier Bresson would still kick all our butts with a Leica rangefinder and some grainy B&W film, or simple 3mp point and shoot digicam for that matter, in terms of creating meaningful images. The 7d is (as is any camera) as 'professional' as YOU are - not the other way around. Rant over.

The camera gets an easy 5 star rating.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 July 2010
I bought this camera while at the airport and benefited from a lower price, I am a canon 1d user but wanted the video and the extra pixels for some of my fashion work, I am very surprised and happy with the build quality of this camera, being a 1d user I had my doubts on the quality of previous lower end camera's for professional work, The Video from what I have shot is super quality, I only wish my skills match what the 7D can do, (hopefully in Time is will get their) many option are available so it should keep amateurs and professionals very happy, Canon have upped their game on this camera, weather sealed, the menu functions great with lots of quick select buttons, shooting at higher ISO doesn't seem to damage the quality too much plus the auto ISO function comes in handy when shooting video and stills when light drops.
The camera handles very well with much less button pushing than other models, the screen looks great also as does the bright viewfinder, there are so many functions on the camera it really pays to have the manual to experiment, though straight out of the box and on Program mode it gives very good results with excellent auto focus and metering, the file size is huge and when shooting raw can fill up a card very quickly though canon have give you the a choice of shooting at 3 different raw size settings, (I still have to try out the lower settings.
I used it in the studio and was very happy with the results, I shot over 800 images and 5 minutes of video and the battery was still going strong.
Having hands like buckets I was surprised at how comfortable it was to us in holiday but as I shoot mostly in vertical (portrait mode) I bought the BG-E7 Battery Grip, this really helps if you shoot portraits and adds weight and balance to the camera when using L series lens, with the added grip you can add another battery which doubles the frames you can shoot, the shutter release button on my grip works great and doesn't feel any different than the on on the camera body (some reviews of the battery grip have noted that its like a hair trigger) I haven't noticed this.

So overall a very fine camera, lots of functions, great image, fast focusing and capture rates of up to 8 frames a sec more or less,
It will definately have a place in my camera bag and be used often.
on 4 January 2010
I received my Canon 7d with 15-85mm kit lens this morning. Whilst I didn't buy it from Amazon as they can be had cheaper elsewhere, I thought I'd share my experiences as a customer upgrading from a point and shoot (albeit with some manual control) as most reviews seem to be aimed at someone who already owns a SLR camera.

The first thing that struck me when I attached the lens and inserted the battery was the sheer solidness of the camera. It genuinely feels like little...Mercedes Benz in your hand. There isn't even the tiniest creak if you twist the camera body laterally, build quality feels seriously top notch.

Knowing my old Canon's menu system inside out and all it's features meant that learning the new one on the 7D took a matter of only about an hours shooting and another hour playing with the camera & manual. As of this evening, I'm comfortable with about three quarters of the available options and being able to create my own menu with just the options I want means I don't have to dig for them either. Perfect.

After getting used to the viewfinder and rattling off a hundred or so shots, I can really appreciate just how much more capable this camera is when compared to a pocket digital. Low light performance is stunning in comparison and shots that would previously require a tripod are simple hand held ones with the ISO at 1600...yet are still pretty to look at with very little noise visible.

The same applies to well lit scenes, the image quality is gorgeous and his this sort of velvety feel to them. Another huge stepup from my 10MP quick shooter. And although the weight is much more substantial than Im used to, bringing it up to focus and carrying it around feels very much worth the extra effort.

I don't want to go into all the technical stuff about the camera, other sites have done that to perfection already. I just want to share how my day was with any other would be point-and-shooters also considering upgrading to SLR and jumping in at the deep end while they're at it.

I know that there is lots more to come from this Canon 7D, but my gosh am I in love already.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've now had this camera for 10 months now. I do plenty of photography and spend a good deal of my time shooting wedding photographs, events and parties. This camera now has a soft spot for me.

Key features for me are the 18 MP APS-C CMOS sensor, 19 point AF-system, the much improved metering systems or iFCL, which takes into account focus, color and luminance across 64 zones. The brilliant (and I can't reiterate this enough) new custom controls interface; you can have countless customizations for control. A god-send if you ask me. How many times would you just like to use the custimisation you want in a jiffy.

On top of this it has weather sealing, believe me this is brilliant, I had a Nikon that failed on me during heavy rain session, I used this camera during a session at a wedding and it stood through the torrid rain and I just kept on shooting. Another brilliant addition is the integrated speedlite transmitter, this allows you to open up the system and no requirement for a master unit. This is brilliant for family photo's and studio photoshoots, I rigged this up to set off 4 slave lights in 2 groups, under certain condition to just give enough light to my shoots and no over exposure.

The build of the camera is great, it feels strong and very well built. You can work with this camera all day, I have no issue with weight and feel. It is a semi-pro camera with pro features. The camera has performed very well. I carry a 64GB CF pro card and all my photo's are generally shot in RAW and not once have I lost a shot. It is fast and very responsive. I was shooting in continous mode and the 7D never missed a beat.

Once of the strong points of the 7D is it's AutoFocus and this thing never missed a beat, I mainly use the Ultrasonic lenses and this baby rarely gave any unfocused images. Maybe out of a 1000 photos I may have 2-3 that were not focused correctly, but they could have well been my fault as well as tiredness creeps in and the un-focused shots were all during the end of my days.

Also, if you do plan to use this camera at high ISO levels, for example 16000 onwards the 7D is a star performer. I was getting decent results at 32000 so that is great news for any photographer.

Just a point on the movie mode, in the 7D you have full manual control for shutter speed and aperture. the best part is you can use your varied lenses to give a good short video. I created one as an experiment for a wedding and it was impressive although it's not always practical as you need to change lenses, but it works well however you want to look at it.

The images this camera produces are top notch and it's ability to work extremely well in low light conditions and give good images are it's strongest points.

My colleague who is a Nikon fan for 15 years has succumbed to the point to say he would be taking this camera out with him than his D300S, now that is a testament to how good this camera is.
I by no means am a Canon fan. I believe in using the right camera for the job. I personally switch between a D3X and Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III for special events, so I can say with hand on heart, that this camera in this class is the best there is. At the end of the day it is upto the consumer to try them out and then make a valued decision.

If you can afford it then this is the camera of choice in my personal opinion.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 July 2014
Bought this as an upgrade to the T2i/Rebel which was very good but lacking the frames-per-second speed I want. I also have a 5D MKII for full frame shots but tend to use the 7D most of the time. I shoot in RAW only which gives me greater post processing control than JPEG and any softness (and there isn't that much) can be sorted easily with Adobe Lightroom or whatever is your preferred software.
Super camera, no problems and an unbeatable range of lenses available however Canon lenses tend to be very expensive, I happen to like Sigma glass which for me is almost as good yet vastly cheaper. There is talk of a new version of the 7D but as yet it's not materialised and may never do so.
I can fully recommend this DSLR.
on 2 April 2013
I moved from bridge cameras up to a Canon EOS1000D and then onto the Canon 7D.

The camera is excellent. Superbly built and feels solid in the hand. All the controls fall into place and after a little practice you'll find your thumb and fingers naturally find the right buttons without the need to look what you're doing.

Picture quality is brilliant. The camera is fully configurable for almost any possible shot you want to take, or you can settle for Auto which takes out all the guesswork and returns excellent results time and time again.

Canon make a huge range of lenses, plus there are likes of Tamron and Sigma to complement these (often at a better price).

Battery life is good and you can add a grip that takes two batteries if you're doing portrait work or need that extra battery life.

I've used the camera extensively and it's never let me down. Very pleased with the camera and will certainly buy it, or the updated model if it's out by the time I upgrade.

One other plus is that having a crop of 1.6x gives you a little extra reach on lenses, so if you're into wildlife photography a 120-400 or 100-400 Lens gives you the equivalent of 192-640 (160-640) Lens.
on 21 September 2013
The reason the 7D doesn't focus that well, is because the lens has to be configured to the Cameras focusing, processor unit. I have put some instruction in this comment, to help with this issue. But there is no reason why Canon couldn't help if you ring customer service. This is a Canon thing and no other brands that I can think of do this. Its a way of helping you to be a little more creative.

The 7D and the 5D 60D have no focus problems at all, its because you haven't set the focus up right. What you need to do is enter the menu in manual mode. click across the tabs until you get to the orange tab second to the last. This will enter you into the Exposure and focusing settings.
Look for [C.FnIII:Autofocus?Drive] and select it. In there will be 13 sub menus, you need to select number 5
You will now see three options.

0: Disable
1: Adjust all by the same amount
2: Adjust by lens <------- this is the one you need to click on.

Now on the screen it will show you all the information about your Lens and a bar chart. A camera at the left side of the chart and a mountain indication landscape at the other end.
this is your depth of field. To set this up you will been to select a high Aperture something like 3.5 or slightly lower. Zoom in on a contorted object like a tennis ball or something with a lot of detail at different depth of field.
You then need to set your camera up in center weight and use the (manual select:spot AF) you could do this before to make this task a little easier if you want.
Aim the manual spot, in the view finder at a detailed object, and if its not clear, judge how far, the field of view is out. Move the bar up and down the bar chart, until you can take a picture that focuses in on the spot, you are asking the camera to select, on the object.
You will be taking a few pictures in this task, and it can be time consuming. The good news is that, you can save these changes on just that lens. This means you will have to, configure the rest of your lenses for this. I hope this helps.

Regards Sids pix
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 June 2010
Upgraded from XTi (400D) as it apparently blew a fuse after 2 1/2yrs of heavy use. Hopefully this one will last longer. Took some getting used to, and I feel like I need a higher iso for the same aperture with this camera, especially if auto light optimiser is on (so it is not). That being said, within a couple of days of learning all the AMAZING new features, I'm taking pictures my XTi never dreamed of. Birds that take up a small amount of the frame can be blown up to full frame in near-perfect detail. Now its just a matter of balancing aperture to shutter speed to get the right depth without blurring. Thank you so much Canon. Pleasure doing business.