Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.19

Unless I'm mistaken, Cracked Rear View still has to be one of the most successful debut albums ever released. This album was huge, boasting several hit singles and getting more airplay than just about anything else out there for months on end. Strangely enough, the group only managed one small blip on the radar in the years following this release, but that doesn't take anything away from the success of this, their first and most successful commercial release. Being from North Carolina, I felt a special affinity for these South Carolina brethren of mine, and indeed at one point I actually acquired the moniker of Hootie myself (for reasons I could probably not explain even if I could remember them). I also loved the obvious influence of Bob Dylan in their music; heck, these guys actually incorporated some of the lyrics from Dylan's classic Tangled Up in Blue in their hit single Only Wanna Be With You.
Speaking of hit singles, Hold My Hand and Let Her Cry (along with Only Wanna Be With You) dominated the airwaves for a few weeks short of forever, and I do believe Time also registered on the charts. I seem to remember Hannah Jane also coming out as a single - if it didn't, it certainly should have as this, the album's leadoff track, in many ways typifies the type of music Hootie and the guys perfected. Running From an Angel also stands head and shoulders above most of the songs recorded during the somewhat dead years of the mid-90s. Darius Rucker's voice just has a special quality impossible to describe - soothing in a sandpapery sort of way. He could be the king of the party, and he could also touch something in your soul when his musical mood turned melancholy. If you secretly search the CD collection of anyone between 30 and 50, you will most likely find this little gem there somewhere, as it sold upteen millions of copies. You don't have that kind of success without something extraordinarily unique that appeals to a wide cross-section of music fans. Cracked Rear View was a great album in 1994, it's a great album now, and it will be a great album for all the years to come.
on 14 October 2004
This first album by H&TB is probably their best work.
Combining tremendous AOR & blues rythmns, a huge amount of talent & musicianship and demonstrating an obvious love of their work, this is an album of excellent quality. It's got love songs, songs about life in general and some more upbeat tracks as well.
Don't forget: This is one of the fastest-selling albums of all time, and for good reason...
The out-and-out pure craftsmanship of highly-talented musicians doing what they obvously love shines throughout this whole album.
This was the album that won the band the best new act at the MTV awards, in the year that all the British music press could talk about was the "Blur vs. Oasis" hype.
Even though this album was released a few years ago, it still stands the test of time as a classic:
Every time you put the album on, it's like a breath of fresh air - each track sounds like it could have been produced yesterday.
In a time of bands producing albums that are "all filler, no killer" and where you find yourself fast-forwarding to the best songs, the sound of this band comes out strongly as something different to what else is around, yet it also calls out to you like the music you've always heard (or that you've always wanted to hear).
A special mention must go to the lead singer, Darius Rucker, who has the most amazing, soulful voice:
The power of his voice just touches your heart every time you hear it and -unlike many other singers with great voices- he has got a fabulous range and this album allows him to demonstrate his wealth of talents. Fast, slow, soulful, happy, loving - this album has it all.
I've been listening to music of -literally- all styles for the last 25+ years and nothing comes close to this H&TB album....
It's the only album I've every found where you can repeat it all day and each and every time you put it on it's like hearing the music for the first time...For me, no other artists' album has had this quality.
"Fantastic" and "5 stars" doesn't even come close to describing this music: I urge you to buy it...you won't regret it.
on 16 November 1999
This is an amazing album from a group of great guys from Columbia, SC. They have a very innocent, honest and alluring sound. Darius Rucker, the lead singer, has a one of a kind voice that you can recognise anywhere, it's deep and hypnotic. The majority of the songs have a melancholy sound to them such as "Time", Running From An Angel", "Let Her Cry", and "Drowning". There are a few upbeat tunes, which are also the more well-known ones: "Hold My Hand" and "Only Wanna Be With You". If you have not yet been introduced to Hootie and The Blowfish...now's your chance - take it!
on 22 January 2005
I first heard this cd in a bar and i just had to ask who it was..I didn't know who Hootie And The Blowfish were then but I do now!This cd is amazing "Hold My Hand" and "Let Her Cry" are my two faves on this debut set..hasn't Darius Rucker got the most amazing voice?..That said this is their best album and I now have all their cds and this one is the best..I'm glad I discovered them...buy this cd and you will be too!!
on 10 February 2014
I bought this for myself a few years back, this time it was for a friend. It stands among the best music CDs that I have, along with the other Hooty recordings such as Scattered, Smothered and Covered. There's depth, soul (not soul music, necessarily) and impressive rhythm to this band's music which is rare to find anywhere else. Listen to it three times if you don't like it the first time round - you'll never regret it! Why Hooty and the Blowfish are not better known in the UK heaven only knows, but if you've any doubts just buy it.
on 29 October 2002
Not one of my friends had heard of Hootie and the Blowfish before it was played in my house. My mum put it on as she was told by her boyfriend it was "OK". WHAT AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!! This album changed my childhood. I bought my own copy straight after, it was only £5 what a bargain. I guess it was that cheap because they weren't that big in England. I played it so much and borrowed by my friends so many times it got plenty of ware and tear and skipped on my favorite track "Time" So what did I do next, I bought it again. I won't say if you don't get this album you will regret it for the rest of you life but what I will say is that you will enjoy every single track on it. I have lots of music and I can't say that about any of them. Go on if you do you will be writing a review like this one guarenteed. A timeless classic!!!!
on 3 April 2009
Well, if you originate from the other side of the pond, you will doubtless be aware of this, selling millions in the US as it did - but this album really is rather good. Once tracks such as "let her cry" and "Time" get into your brain...they're not going anywhere sometime soon. Hard to think of a weak track here - maybe drowning is only quite good but it is Darius Rucker's voice that soars throughout and makes this album so distinctive. Together with the slightly later "Musical Chairs" this is a first rate example of a band at the peak of their powers. Maybe the decline set in rather to soon once we entered the noughties but if you buy this, I defy you to be disappointed.
on 26 September 2013
What an album, what a voice. My US friends tell me how huge they are in the States, yet for some inexplicable reason Hootie have not been as big in the UK as they deserve. For a debut album these tracks put it up there as a debut great of all time. Darius Rucker's voice is outstanding as is the feel of the whole album. Hold My Hand should have been a No 1 single it is that good. Time, Motherless Child excellent too, but it's unfair to single out other tracks, they are all superb. Good follow up albums after such a debut are a challenge and they came close, so check out their catalogue, you won't regret it.
on 31 May 2013
This is music at its best, unpretentious, emotionally-ridden, engaging and melodic. This is what music should be all about. Any listener can identify with Darius' emotion when he sings: as his voice rips through these songs, you know heartbreak, pain and loss have felt the same way to you too. If you haven't had the Hootie experience, you shouldn't wait too long yet, and this album is a good starting point!
on 11 January 2000
Every one of the songs on this album is a classic, buy this and it wont leave your cd player for weeks. The music and the lyrics are truly amazing, maybe hootie and the blowfish will soon be recognized in this country for the class they are!! Enjoy