4.0 out of 5 stars Dagnabbit, always back to Dream theater...
Well, when I first heard this album, I, with a heavy heart, resorted to borrowing it off of my friend. I don't regret that decision, but I wish I had managed to purchase it.

Anyway, the first song I heard, "The Dance Of Eternity" sounds, to me at least, a two fingered salute to the rest of the music community.

"You have your music, but we do it *so*...
Published on 15 May 2006 by Cray Dharker

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for fans, but won't win converts
There are two or three good tracks on this rock opera/concept album, but its far from the best progressive rock album ever made. The lyrics are in general appalling, with Through Her Eyes standing out as a particularly low spot. Fortunately the music is generally good and occasionally excellent ('Home' is one of the best tracks). Petrucci (guitars) and Portnoy...
Published on 1 April 2001 by John Davidson

4.0 out of 5 stars Dagnabbit, always back to Dream theater..., 15 May 2006

"You have your music, but we do it *so* much better than you."

Including a personal favourite of mine, a rag time section, followed quickly by, quite honestly, one of my favourite speed metal sections on my computer.

Including, as well, a quick reversed section from Metropolis. (Again, they seem to be making a parody of themselves later with an even *faster* bass part.)

Another song which I heard before I fanally managed to piece together the album, "Strange Deja Vu" was one of the first Dream Theater tracks which focused on vocals (I hadn't heard any other concept album tracks bar "The Test That Stumped Them All" on Six Degrees, which I felt was more about including instrumental points at periods of high emotion) which really surprised me, but again, they didn't disappoint.

The opening to "Strange Deja Vu" is quite a rushed affair, with none of the Dream Theater trademark beating around the bush before really getting into it. But still, all the work that has gone into this song has really payed off, with it even nearly reminding me of another song, but never being able to quite put my finger on it.

The song is almost unremarkable in itself, but put into context with the album really brings it to life after the opening couple of songs.

The next song, Fatal Tragedy, is another Dream Theater instrumental extraveganza, with teh opening piano and vocals giving way to a crash, and then continuing with the song.

The story is almost fully explained within this part, almost really beginning the album.

James LaBrie does not disappoint with vocals on this, proving his almost *excessive* range. My favourtie part of the song is almost the lull in the storm with "Without hope..."

Unfortunately, I found the rest of the song past the vocals, towards the solos, to be quite distracting, and I had to keep checking back to see if I was still listening to the same song, or even album! It really did take some getting used to having to be patient, and, as I now hate iTunes, I tend to leave it when it is playing something. This is not an album you can lean back to and listen. To get the full experience, play freecell and it really brings out the real album, a busy, fast paced, frantic affair of a murder and a troubled soul.

Okay, that aside (it really does sum upt he rest of the album)

Until you reach "Finally Free", that is.

A quite happy, almost celebratory beginning quickly gives way to a haunting and harrowing tune, as teh truth is finally revealed. The first time I heard this, it was three in teh morning. I'd just watched Battle Royale for teh first time. That's not an experience I want to repeat, believe me on that.

Apparently, the story takes an even more sinister twist. I'm not going to spoil it, but anyway...

"This feeling, inside me
Finally found my love, I'm finally free"
could be interpreted as a happy moment, but trust me on this, by the album. It's great. Aside from theonstant need for something to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just....Wow., 14 Oct. 2008
Mr Spike (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Up to this point, Dream Theater have somewhat been known as "One hit wonders". Their only siginficant song, "Pull Me Under" has brought them to the attention of many people, but as yet they have not been able to produce an album worthy of such attention.

This, however, changes everything.

"Scenes from a Memory" is by far their best album, and i will go so far as to day it is one of the definitive albums of modern Prog Metal/Rock.

No song is out of place. Each song spills into the next with such grace you're left breathless and wondering how, if possible, it could get any better.

The album deals with a man called Nicholas who keeps having the same recurring dream - he sees a strange girl in a mirror on an old house. Throughout the album this dream is explored and you discover the true story behind his dream.

Now, you would expect that an album with a story to it would be underdeveloped, with the band focussing more on music than having something for the fans to remember story wise. However, Dream Theater do not do this. The story, although not worthy of a Booker Prize, does compliment the music on the album very well.

Two songs deserve special mention for their inclusion on the album. The first one is the seventh song, called "Home". It comes directly after a soft, meliodic song that fades out with LaBrie's vocals. The song then starts off with John Petrucci playing what could be described as "Indian like". The song then becomes classic heavy Dream Theater - excellant musicians working in harmony. The lyrics are also well developed - talking about drug addiction of a man and his attempts to win a girl into his life.

The second song is "The Spirit Carries On". I won't spoil it for you - simply put, it's the song i want to be played at my funeral and Petrucci's solo in the middle part of the song it to jaw dropping proportions.

Overall - Dream Theater have produced a masterpiece of an album that will be talked about for years to come. Make no mistake, this is truely awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their very best, 13 Aug. 2007
Progfan (Kenilworth, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It's taken me 8 years to get round to writing this review, better late than never as they say.
This is definately the best album I bought in the nineties and has to rate as one of the best albums I've ever heard.
I can't say anything more than any of the other people who have written 5 star reviews on these pages. This is a truly brilliant album in concept and delivery. From the hypnotists clock ticking at the start to the ultimate twist in the story at the end this will have you hooked. Put this on for the first time and you will have to hear it all the way through.
If you're thinking of getting into progressive rock/metal start here, it's one of the very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS ALBUM IS FANTASTIC, 6 Jan. 2005
i know it's just my opinion but i don't believe anyone can fault dream theater at all in terms of talent. how can you say mike portnoy's drumming is rhythmically flat?? it's some of the most incredible drumming ever, the guy's an absolute genius, throughout the album there are constant time signature changes and the whole band keep in tight together with it. i'd like to see you tell that to a guy who's been voted best drummer in the world 3 years in a row by drummer review...
yes, listening to it on face value, the lyrics are pretty cheesy, but when you listen to the whole thing as a concept album and follow it, it's great. it all hangs together so nicely and unfolds consistantly.
all the band playing the same melody does not at all show a lack of cooperation, it in fact shows incredible skill and precision when considering the melody they are actually playing. and i must add that dream theater do plenty of harmonies too.
i didn't once think any of the keyboard solos were guitar solos. you are obviously not very musically minded and that is why you don't appreciate this album as much as the rest of us on here do. it's a shame that ignorance and snobbery has got in the way of your enjoyment of this. it's not a matter of people being young and unaware, true, that is the sad reality of most music 'fans' nowadays, buying absolute trash, but dream theater is definitely a place where you can find true talent. i really can't see a problem with them showing off as they do because they are talented enough to have the right.
this album is fantastic, a masterpiece no less, i urge everyone reading this to give it a try, musicians and true music lovers will not be disapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Less is sometimes more, 6 Feb. 2009
As someone once said, it's not what you put in that matters, it's what you leave out. If U were to compare say "Great Gig In the Sky" with "Through Her Eyes" you'll see what I mean.

This is undoubtably DT's answer to PF Wall. It's the album close to the PF effort in terms of theatricality and audacious scope.

If only Jordan Rudess could learn that feeling is more convincing in rock than pianistic widdly baroque ornamenttion then this band could be great.

As the Austrian Emperor said to Mozart (alledgedly) - It is good but there are just too many notes.

As Jon Anderson sang "The space between the notes relate the colour to the scene" - so leave some space.

All said, still 4 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS MUSIC, 29 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
Im lost for words when it comes to describing this album. Alongside Images and Words, it represents the pinnacle of Progressive Metal (or whatever you want to call it) and I find it hard to believe anybody will ever better this. Its an absolutely incredible blend of storytelling, songwriting brilliance and instrumental virtuosity, from what I believe to be the best and most skilled musicians on the planet. Do yourself a favour and buy this. I find it sad that NINA from Moscow decided to write a completely ridiculous and vitriolic review of one of the greatest albums ever made. It was almost as if she was auditioning for a job at the NME. Well Im sure I speak for everyone else who has given this album glowing reviews when I say you can keep your Jeff Buckley, Joni Mitchell and whatever other insipid, boring and bland music you listen to because its "cool" to like it. We'd much rather listen to the inspiring, exciting, incredible Dream Theater.

4.0 out of 5 stars challenging and rewarding, 16 July 2007
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
dream theaters fifth album released in 1999 is a concept album if ever you hear one,in fact this album can be viewed as an opera,there are characters inmvolved and the album tells a complex enough story about a guy named nicholas who under hypnotherapy finds out about a woman called victoria and the tortured life she led and indeed is there a connection,each character gets a chance to tell their side of events through the singing voice of john labrie,it all ties into together.
The album is an extension of metropolis part one which was on the classic album images and words and each song includes a segment from that one song,yes this is a classy album thought through with devout detail.
Dream Theater are a prog band so the songs can be very twisty and very detailed and this of course wont suit all,they play heavy music but also rely on strong ballads with lush instruments and female serenading.
The album is broken into two parts much like a play and is packed with truly epic wonderful songs,if im going to throw a stone at this album it would be directed at the fact that the odd song rattles on for a minute or two longer than it should but thats prog for you ladies and gentlemen,there are some stunning catchy moments here that will haunt your memory,all in all this is a challenging album,77 minutes of album in fact but its an album that can be served in one sitting or broken down although for full effect its best to listen to it in one go due to the subject matter,yes this is a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 18 Sept. 2012
Andrew (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory (MP3 Download)
This Dream Theater offering from 1999 was the second album I'd heard by them. With it's crazy, complicated past-life regression storyline, extended jams and songs that overlap seamlessly into one another this is as full on as a progressive concept album can get. It's no coincidence that it came number one in Rolling Stone magazine's top ten Prog Rock readers poll. Extra Prog Rock points for the entire album being the sequel to a song on an earlier album (Images and Words).
The plot (as far as I can make out) involves a gentleman named Nicholas who'd been having recurring dreams and goes to see a hypnotherapist about it. The hypnotherapist puts him under and he regresses back to his past life as a lady named Victoria who'd been murdered in the 1920's. Victoria seems to have been involved in a love triangle with two brothers, one of whom eventually kills the other two. As he learns more about Victoria's life he also learns about his own and the knowledge of this past life teaches him not to fear death as there is always the next life. There's a couple of neat twists in the story - it's best to listen to it and find them for yourself.
In line with most concept albums there's plenty of sound effects and voice overs (only on a few songs and not too intrusive) and nods to other albums (such as the Overture on the Who's Tommy).
This album really demonstrated just how versatile and masterfully Dream Theater can be with music. No matter how wild the jams and solos get, it always feels like you are listening to one whole rather than a collection of random songs thrown under one album title.
Scene Six: Home is a real stand out moment that starts with a very eastern inspired intro before the pounding verse riff stomps all over your ears. Following that you get Scene Seven pt 1: The Dance To Eternity. This is quite possible one of the craziest extended jams you will hear. They've thrown everything into this one; a mix up of different sounds, styles and even time signatures. The fact that they can play this insanity live is just another testament to how good this band are.
As a whole this album is definitely worth your time if you like bands that are not only completely fearless when it comes to throwing everything they can think of into songs, but can also do it with an ease that other bands can only aspire to. The sound production is very well done, although the only complaint I have about Dream Theater albums is the mix on John Myungs bass. For some reason it always seems buried in the music to my ears and I wonder if anyone else has this problem. Bass sounds just fine and prominent on all the other bands I listen to so why not here?
To sum up this is an excellent album that any Progressive Rock/Metal fan should own and anyone else who likes listening to bands that constantly strive to put everything they can into their music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 6 Nov. 2010
Scenes Of a Memory
Starts of with a ticking clock and hypno man says to close your eyes and go in to a dream and as he counts from ten it goes in to a gentle acoustic part and from then on it is like a crazy dream there are
some good riff in this album and some good groovy bits. Keyboarding plays a strong role in this album.
some of the good tracks are act two scene six : Home some Eastern sound used onit
track seven is an insturmental with a ragtime piano part in it and why not and a bass solo in it too
the vocals are pretty good melodic carry the song along well.
its alot different to the album before it it is more like Images and Words but not too similar.
and Some of it is a bit long lasting.
oneo f the low points I think would actually be track seven it is along instrumental but nothing particularly stands out in it there is not really any catch part in it it kind of sounds like a jam almost. it is interesting enough to hear but and instrumental should have something catchy that reprises in it
I really like track 7 part two however it flows from track seven part 1 and you are left with a floaty keyboard and a simple bass and drum rythmn and stabbed guitar part and then lead bit and then it goes even more floaty with a finger picked guitar part. shortest actual song on the album interestingly.
track 8 is a piano led song the vocals are good in this one.

It is a good album with many interesting ideas on it maybe a little bit to much soloing on it.
but it is played well in the rythm section and sung well. and I like the use of keyboards in it.

I give it an 8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Aug. 2005
D. Bramley "bramleyduck" (Yeovil, Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
I wasn't a fan when I first bought this album. I just liked the couple of tracks my friend showed me. But after a few times of listening to it, it really grew on me. There are plenty of good chord progressions and high points. The music is abit weird in parts but is mostly good and the mussicians are amazing. I downlaoded some MIDI files and looked at the music and all the instruments play extreamly hard music. The only bad point is the sound effects halfway through track eight, but other than that, its amazing.