5.0 out of 5 stars Good and funny Romantic Comedy, leaves a smile on your face
Published on 16 Sep 2009 by AGDA

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite common...
Published on 13 Aug 2010 by Marisa Forsaa

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and funny Romantic Comedy, leaves a smile on your face, 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Proposal [DVD] (DVD)
It is not the most amazing script ever written, you can imagine the end from the very beginning, but that is not what has made this one of the most popular movies this summer, it is just that the story is funny, sweet and makes you smile and feel good. How many movies can do that? We have Andrew, who is working like a slave to get the desired promotion and his boss, a she-devil called Margaret, who is so focused on her job that forgets that there is life outside the publishing house. Because of her possible deportation, she is forced to make the decision of marrying Andrew, as she is from Canada and needs to be allowed to work in the USA or she will lose the job she loves so much. That is the beginning of this journey, and it keeps getting better when the odd couple arrive to Alaska to met "his" parents and grannie. I won't tell much about the plot, as it is better to watch it. I just want to say that the main actors share a special chemistry in this film, something that makes the movie more enjoyable and the whole cast is brilliant and funny.
I do recommend it, may not be the best movie of the year, but it makes me feel good, sunnier, and I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and fun and charming comedy, 23 Oct 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Proposal [DVD] (DVD)
It was a week with two good movies showing at our small local cinema and I assumed the other (The Time Traveller's Wife) would be the best. (It was very overhyped in my opinion, I soon became bored with it but my husband liked it.) We nearly didn't go to see The Proposal, but a relative was in Alaska just at that time and had been telling us about it, so I decided we might as well see this movie set partly in Alaska. After all, it was a comedy, so it should be watchable. In fact, I loved every moment of it. This was the first time I remember seeing Sandra Bullock and I'm now a firm fan. What a delightful, funny and entirely entertaining movie! I was completely hooked from the start.

Bullock's character is a Canadian needing to stay in the USA to keep the job she loves. She blackmails one of her staff into pretending they're engaged to be married, just so long as it takes for her papers to come through and he blackmails her for a work concession in return. Of course nothing goes quite as either of them intends, nor as the immigration officer expects either when he's highly suspicious of this "engagement" and absolutely determined to catch them out. Of course there's plenty of hilarious and sometimes poignant frustration as very everyone gets thwarted in whatever they're trying to achieve and of course the last scenes are hugely tense as whatever you want for everyone, you can't know if they'll get it. One to buy as soon as it's out! And my advice, watch anything else you haven't yet seen of Sandra's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, if unbelievable RomCom - Love it!, 23 Nov 2009
Bob's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Proposal [DVD] (DVD)
Not an entirely beleivable plot - but very funny and one my daughters and I loved.

Sandra Bullock is hilarious, Ryan Reynolds is pleasing to the eye, and there is a satisfying roam through drama and disaster, reaching a pleasing ending.

We laughed out loud throughout - a proper girly film for these dark windy nights, when the world's a depressing place. The only other things you'll need are a box of chocs and a glass of wine - curl up on the sofa and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!, 29 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Proposal Combi Pack (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
I totally agree with Bob's Mum. This film is one of the funniest things I've seen for a long long time! And Bullock/Reynolds are the perfect pairing with good chemistry ;))

5.0 out of 5 stars 'LAUGH OUT-LOUD FUNNY', 25 May 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Proposal Combi Pack (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
i'm awarding '5' stars even though i found much of the film predictable, it really is 'laugh-out-loud funny.
'Margaret' a no-nonsense business woman is on the verge of deportation, which would leave the guy she's just jilted as her replacement, her work is her life is at stake.
'Andrew' is her assistant who has ambitions of his own, however 'margaret' throws a giant shadow over his asperations.
'Margaret' comes up with a plan to dodge deportation, she demands that 'Andrew' marries her in exchange for promotion and a promise that his book would be published.
'Andrew' had planned to fly off to 'Alaska' to celebrate his Grandmothers 90th birthday, now it seems he has a travel companion.
They fly off to 'Andrew's' family home in alaska, this introduces 'Andrew's' diverse family members and friends, leading to much humour.
This is a very funny film with 'Sandra Bullock' and 'Ryan Reynolds' lighting up the screen with thier attempts to convince family
and friends, not forgetting the authorities that the romance is genuine.
There are some stunning scenary sequences. along the way.
Good Picture and Sound Quality throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proposal, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Proposal [DVD] (DVD)
A really Good film like most of Sandra Bullock's - Bought as a gift for my Daughter who has seen the film with me but lives in France where unfortunately most films are dubbed in French so she has a growing library of DVDs where it actually spoils the films if they are dubbed! (Sound of Music ) to name but one is a no-no as are others so although she speaks French fluently - she draws the line at certain films!
Recommended for those with a real sense of humour this is another Feel-good Film!

4.0 out of 5 stars A better vehicle than the Congeniality movies, 14 April 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Proposal [DVD] (DVD)
This is a more believable, but still not completely believable, movie than Sandra Bullock's earlier Congeniality titles. Now principally playing her real age, it does not recreate the earlier approaches in both of those titles or the questionable casting of some characters.

Still typically fluffy around the edges, Bullock does a much better job here.

Very enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars proposal dvd, 28 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Proposal [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic film another classic comedy from Sandra Bullock - deffo a must have in yr collection!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite common..., 13 Aug 2010
Marisa Forsaa (Surnadal, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Proposal [DVD] (DVD)
This is a typical "easy" comedy. It has some good parts, but if I'd already seen it, I wouldn't buy the DVD, that's for sure. The plot is an easy guess from the start and some of the scenes are kind of "meant to be very funny", but end up pushing it too hard. I find the story rather slow in parts and I'm getting bored. I miss more substantial and witty dialogue. Would definitely like to see more of the character "Bob" (played by Aasif Mandvi), who appears at the beginning, as I find the main male character so blunt. I expected more from this film - maybe seen too many others like this one - so I was disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, 26 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Proposal [DVD] (DVD)
Story line is an updated "greencard" concept. Sandra B is excellent as the overbaring and demanding bitchy boss, with weird taste in coffee. The gorgeous Ryan Rynolds plays the same character as he does in every movie but it works here. Especially enjoyed the shirt off moment. Hated the annoying granny dancing in the woods part but there is always scene selection. Funny and sweet with some laugh out loud moments.

The Proposal Combi Pack (Blu-ray + DVD)
The Proposal Combi Pack (Blu-ray + DVD) by Anne Fletcher (Blu-ray - 2009)
13.89