5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving - outstanding acting - one to watch again
My Sister's Keeper [DVD] [2009]

I loved the book so much that I was not sure whether I wanted to see the film - however it is excellent, extremely well acted and directed. The ending of the film was different from the book, but it was logical and didn't detract at all.

Published on 20 Oct. 2009 by SusieH

3.0 out of 5 stars Very different to the book!
Published on 19 Jun. 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Very different to the book!, 19 Jun. 2012
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
If you've read the book, you'll probably be disappointed by this film because it's very different in many ways. The characters of Jesse (the brother) and Campbell Alexander (the lawyer) were mere token gestures in the film but were fully explored in the book and there was no mention whatsoever of Campbell's love interest, who also played a big part in the legal proceedings. And the ending?! Well, totally different. Ruined it for me.

As a film, I suppose it was fairly well done but if you have the tendency to cry at films or books, good luck at even watching it through your floods of tears. Don't wear any mascara for goodness sake!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving - outstanding acting - one to watch again, 20 Oct. 2009
My Sister's Keeper [DVD] [2009]

Kate is sick, and her parents have an IVF baby, Anna, as a genetic match for Kate so that Anna can donate blood, bone marrow, whatever is necessary to save her sister's life. Eventually Kate becomes sick enough that Anna is expected to donate one of her kidneys to her sister, and she turns to a lawyer to gain medical emancipation from her parents.

Truly superb acting by all. Sofia Vassilieva was splendid as Kate, and Abigail Breslin as Anna. Cameron Diaz, as a fraught mother doing her best to keep her daughter alive by any means, is totally believable - so good to see her in a more stretching role than usual. Alec Baldwin as the lawyer, with health problems of his own, was inspired.

I first watched this in the cinema, and the whole audience was totally caught up in the emotions of the characters - the only sound was quiet sniffling. Very moving and definitely worth watching again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 22 Mar. 2012
AimeeW (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
I was really quite disappointed with the film. I loved the book and had hoped that they would keep as true to the book as possible.

Whilst the film on it's own may have been good to watch, and there are some funny, touching and very emotional moments, I wouldn't recommend watching if you loved the book.

The ending isn't as per the book, and in my view, it completely spoilt the whole film. The ending is supposed to be a bittersweet victory...

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, 13 Jun. 2010
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
Oh Dear, What a mess this is.

I loved the casting and esp Alec Baldwin, Abigail Breslin and Cameron Diaz.

The book is so incredibly powerful BECAUSE of the ending... WHY oh WHY did they not follow the great beginning of the film with the correct ending!!!!

Very Sad to see, such a good book vandalised like this,

2.0 out of 5 stars Have You Read The Book?, 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
Alright, let me begin by saying this: I have read the book. And if you have also read the book, it is unlikely (not impossible but unlikely) that you will be able to enjoy the film.

*The following review contains spoilers*

If you have never read the actual book, then you can probably watch and enjoy the film, which does have touching scenes and can be considered a tear-jerker. Friends of mine who have seen this without having read the book have loved it and it has even reduced a few of them to tears.
If not for this insight, this review would have been one star.

Firstly, I just about lost it when they changed the ending of the film. In the book, there is an amazing plot twist right at the end which literally had me in tears. However, the ending to the film was predictable and boring; it's sad, yes, but it's not a clever ending.
Secondly, the character of Jesse, the older brother, was totally changed, and not for the better. This is reflected in the film, particularly in his relationship with Anna. It's truly sad what they did to the character who was so interesting in the book; he appeared one dimensional in the film, which was very disappointing.

Overall, this was a truly awful film. It was not true to the book in any way other than 'Kate's sick and Anna's helping her in a way the mother can't imagine'. The film seems to rely on that AS the plot twist, whereas the book had another shocker right at the end of the story.
So if you've read the book, don't waste your time. If you've not, you might still be able to enjoy the film - but my advice would be to read the book afterwards, and with it you will not be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars My Sister's Keeper, 14 July 2012
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
Like other reviewers, I watched this after reading the book. I have been putting off watching it for a while because I knew it would be sad, and made the mistake of finally watching it when I was feeling emotional. The storyline is emotive, and I was drawn in quickly, although some of the characters were not as developed as they could have been, and may leave people not knowing their story in the book confused, and those who do disappointed. I was not expecting to like Alec Baldwin as the lawyer, but I thought he did do a good job, although his part was not as big as it was in the book, and I would have liked to see the humour of his various made-up reasons for having a service dog.
The young actors in film were all very well played, and I particularly enjoyed the relationship Kate had with another patient.
I did spend the last 30 minutes of the film crying, although my tears stopped abruptly at the end of the film when I realised it had been changed completely from the ending of the book. This did make me angry, because it felt like the entire 'point' of the book was missing. Had this film been under another name, I would have given it 5 stars. As it is, I have given it 2 for the acting and the emotion, but in general I am disappointed by this film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 9 Jan. 2012
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
The film was meant to be an adaptation of the book, My Sister's Keeper, yet it strayed so far from the original storyline that it lost the same magical heartbreak that the book created. The family dynamic and relationship was lost in the film. The book, I felt, was true to life; the family loved eachother, but from Jesse and Anna's point of view, there was resentment for Kate getting their parent's attention and guilt for feeling like this, anger at Jesse being forgotten and Anna's life being seen as an extension of Kate and anger from her parents point of view that it was their daughter that got leukaemia, and not another child and the horror of thinking like this.

The film instead changed each character so much that it was like they'd created a new family and only kept the names and the leukaemia the same. In all, I found the film a disappointment, especially the somewhat bizarre ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Disappointing, 12 Jan. 2010
K. Davidson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
Having enjoyed the book I was eagerly anticipating watching the film. However, I now wish I hadn't wasted my time. This adaptation was awful, mostly because the ending was completely changed. Anyone who has read the book will know what impact the ending had, and without this I felt the film was altogether a bit of a pointless waste of time. I also felt like several characters, particularly Jesse and Campbell Alexander, were not portrayed effectively in the film.

All in all, a disappointing waste of time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the book., 29 Mar. 2012
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
After reading the book, I wanted to watch the film.. Its soooo different! And the ending is completely changed too... good film in all I cried! But I wish it stuck more to the details of the book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the book AFTER watching this film!, 29 Jan. 2010
TANIA ANDERSON "Tania" (Scarborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper [DVD] (DVD)
First and foremost that as a rule I never normally write reviews. However, my feelings and opinions about this film are such that I feel compelled to share them!

My Sisters Keeper was the second Jodi Picoult book I read and only one of two books which have ever moved me to tears (I read at least one book per week). I truly recommend reading the book. However, the film.....

I eagerly awaited the release of this film at the cinema and was truly disppointed by it. Now I am not naive enough to expect that the whole book could be condensed into a two hour film, or that the depth of the characters could be properly explored in that time either. But what utterly disppointed me is that the essence and soul of the story was lost completely. My Sisters Keeper, the book, is a story about a girl who grows up in a family where her sister has cancer. My Sisters Keeper, the film, is about a girl who has cancer. They are not the same story! Yes, the characters names may be the same but in my opinion this is where the similarities end!!

I could go on and on about what I disliked about the film, and beleive me I did for days and days after seeing it! But really what I wanted to say to people who are considering watching this film is that they should as I honestly believe I would have loved it and would be gushing about it here if I had not read the book.

But I would also like to say that after watching this film you MUST read the book, even if you are not generally a reader I promise you will love it!

My Sister's Keeper [Blu-ray]
My Sister's Keeper [Blu-ray] by Nick Cassavetes (Blu-ray - 2009)