on 24 July 2010
Good and necesssary product which should have been included with the 1490T. While getting accustomed to the features of the satnav the charger has been in constant use at home as the 1490T's battery lasts for a maximum of 3 hours.
on 30 October 2010
It is crazy to sell a sat nav, supposedly designed to be used for walking, without a mains charger (only one for the car)! so I called Garmin and they were happy to sell me a charging kit for about £25!! I declined and looked it up on Amazon. Found the same kit, which is unnecessarily elaborate, for £20 and finally the simple charger for less than a couple of quid - though the postage made it about double. It does the job.
on 22 February 2011
I bought a Garmin 1490T for a New Year gift to myself; reviews for that revealed that there was no mains charger included in the package, so I ordered this as well.

It turns out that the 1490T comes with charging cables for use in the car, and a combined data/charger USB cable, so I can easily charge up my 1490T both indoors, and in the car. Hence I've never even tested this charger.

May be a great device for you, but do consider whether you really need it -- I certainly don't.
on 11 May 2010
Should come with every garmin, but as it does not, it is a well recommended buy
on 8 January 2011
Bought this along side the Garmin nuvi 1490T as a Christmas present, so imagine the disappointment when after waiting four hours for it to charge the Sat Nav wouldn't switch on. Tested the universal charger on different machine and the rate of output kept changing including providing a negitive charge!!
Cheap and not worth that money, luckily Amazon did replace the damaged sat nav and I ended up buying a Garmin charger.
Did get a refund from suppliers - less their handling charge. Lesson learnt!!
on 17 March 2015
I wanted to turn on my Garmin 1490T and find places or create routes prior to leaving home without running down the battery in the unit. The 1490T would only power up in USB communication mode if using a USB cable to attach the unit to a power supply. This is due to the way the USB cable connections are arranged within the unit. The cable connections of this mains charger are wired so the 1490T will power up in normal navigation mode and will charge the battery while you are playing around with the SatNav.

I recently bought a Garmin 2699LMT and this mains charger will not work with it. When plugged into the 2699LMT a message comes on to screen saying that the battery cannot be charged with the cable, please use the cable supplied with the product. The battery symbol on the screen also changes to red. So while this mains charger will work with the 1490T and similar models it may not work with newer Garmins.
on 21 March 2011
What can be said about a Mains Charger for a satnav. It's robust, cost effective and does what it's supposed to do. With the Garmin nuvi 1490T the supply lead provided is thick and chunky so I prefer to charge the satnav from the mains which is usually good for 3 hours use. I'm not in a heavy traffic zone (Highlands of Scotland) so most times I don't use the traffic receiver built into the Garmin supply lead so this mains charger suits me perfectly. A good buy.
on 23 March 2013
I have been considering buying a charger (for my Garmin) for some time but have never got around to it, then along came an e-mail from Amazon with this one. I found the price was the best of anybody's and decided it was too good to miss. within an hour it was attached to my Garmin and working. The results were excellent (for me) and so I was well pleased with the results and would recommend to anybody
on 20 July 2011
Not only does it charge my Garmin Nuvi sat nav but also charges my MP4 player how good is that!
on 3 January 2014
My Garmin Nuvi 1490 is not useable when connected to a standard USB charger or PC and I assumed that, as this one is advertised specifically for the Nuvi, that it would allow me to charge and program the unit at the same time. This is NOT the case and the charger is therefor no different to connecting the NUVI to your PC USB port. Money wasted for me .