5.0 out of 5 stars Best start for anyone interested in C programming
This book is a comprehensive, extremely easy read by Stephen Kochan. I recommend it for any early programmer, and it serves as useful reference material for any experienced programmer. Readers are taken step by step through a learning process. They are introduced to new material constantly, and it is well explained so no one should have trouble getting through it.
Published on 25 Mar 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it,waste of money
Just hate it,low quality and also boring content,please don't buy it like me,just go with C Programming: A Modern Approach Paperback by K N King
Published 28 days ago by Igor

5.0 out of 5 stars Best start for anyone interested in C programming, 25 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Programming in C (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, 29 Sep 2005
Ari N (Göteborg, Sweden) - See all my reviews
Programming in C is probably the best introduction I've read to any programming language. It's the near-perfect example of how a computer book should be written, a pleasure to read, well-paced, challenging, addictive.
What's best with it, though, is that it has inspired great confidence in me. I *know* now that C is a language I can master.
So I've ordered K&R for a reality check. It should be arriving any day now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise Crystal Clear -- 5 Big Shiny Stars, 20 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Programming in C (Paperback)
I found this book indispensable both to learn C and to learn a way of thinking about C. The author uses a well selected and deliberately sequenced set of program examples to thoroughly demonstrate what's going on. These programs are developed and modified from one chapter to the next to show different features of the language. I even have better insight, now, into a few mathematics concepts that I've always had trouble with because of the author's excellent presentation of these concepts using C language -- truly amazing. The writing style is logical, well-paced and consistent -- I never found myself trying to guess what the author meant -- which is pretty incredible with most computer books these days. And after reading the book in its entirety, I was able to see that the whole work was planned to succeed by the thoughtful cohesion of supporting elements (like a good program) rather than thrown together to succeed by sheer force of volume (like, say, a Microsoft product?). The best chapter on C functions that I've read anywhere. Possibly the best introductory book on C in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, more examples would be helpful, 30 April 2011
This was a great introductory book for learning the C language. I have no previous programming experience, I am not involved in IT or computer science. I work professionally as a biologist and I would like to write my own applications for use in my research. I am using this book for self-study in my spare time (albeit spare time I had to make). While reading the book, I copied in all of the example programs and worked through all (or very nearly all) of the exercises. This book is logically organized, well-written, and richly supplied with examples and problem exercises. Kochan's writing style is very clear. He gives well-considered examples that provide robust reinforcement to the concepts introduced in the text. It is a very good book for self-teaching the C programming language, especially if you have no previous programming experience. The book is meant to be read-through, chapter-by-chapter, rather than read in bits and pieces. This makes it a good self-study tool, as it provides a logical and coherent study program, rather than simply being a reference of the C language.

My only complaints are that some chapters are 'too long' in the sense that you cover a lot of material before you get a chance to work through some exercises that reinforce what you just covered. It would be helpful if the book had either some small exercises within the body of each chapter (or a quiz) that encourages the reader to reflect on what has been read. The other problem is that I find the book gets weak on supplying exercises towards the end. This is partly a function of the nature of the material covered, but I found Chapter 16 especially light on both worked examples and exercises where it could have used more. This chapter could be greatly improved by some extra examples that better illustrate the usages and syntax of some of the functions.

All in all, a great book, and well worth the price. It was a joy to read, a joy to work with, and certainly has gotten me on my feet for my first foray into programming.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST OF THE BEST, 11 Aug 2007
Nyein Chan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best book written on a traditional programming language I ever read in my life. I will be very grateful if Stefan Kochan is kind enough to write a book like this on C++ as well!!! I really want to make such a request.

My constructive criticism is that if he put simpler, but more mathematical and scientific, examples in his book (like Mrc Herniter in his Programming with MATLAB does), then it would be more suitable for someone like myself who is a PHYSICS student.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it,waste of money, 1 Aug 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Comes a poor second to K&R's original book on the C Programming Language, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Programming in C (3rd Edition) (Kindle Edition)
This book in rather 'rambling'. As a coach and mentor, who works with both students and experienced professionals, I find that it's difficult to use isolated sections of this book. It's ok if you start at the beginning and work your way through. However, if you want to 'dip into' any subject, then the writing style is problematic. Definitely not a 'reference', but will suite some learners. My recommendation would be to also buy the (Kindle version of the) book written by the language's developers, Kernighan and Ritchie, "The C Programming Language (2nd Ed.)"

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for Uni course, 8 Mar 2013
It's a pretty good book. It helped me to understand programming better than some of my lecturers did. It includes exercises (but no answers).

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 9 May 2012
P. Birch (UK) - See all my reviews
The writer has a nice style that made the book easy to read. I bought this when I first moved from Windows to Linux for my home PC and was looking for a new programming language to replace VB6. Learning C or C++ seemed like a good idea but I soon realised that although they will produce high performance applications, they are quite verbose and not the most productive. I didn't finish reading the book as I've now moved onto Python, however I do occasionally refer to it when using others' source code for inspiration.

Programming in C (3rd Edition)
Programming in C (3rd Edition) by Stephen G. Kochan