4.0 out of 5 stars Crash Love
Published on 2 Nov 2009 by Annabel Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Different
This is a big reduction in tempo from AFI's usual aggressive style. It's like they've chilled out - but I haven't, and it's not what I expected. I'll be buying AFI's albums until they stop recording, I hope there's more screaming in the next one.
Published on 1 Oct 2009 by Mike

4.0 out of 5 stars Crash Love, 2 Nov 2009
Like many others, I have been an AFI fan for many years; just so you get an idea, my favorite AFI cd to date has been 'The Art of Drowning' and to be perfectly honest I found 'Decemberunderground' to be the worst. HOWEVER, in my opinion this new album is better than than the latter. Despite the album title, which like 'Decemberunderground' makes me cringe slightly, it is a cd well worth buying, especially the deluxe edition.

There are 16 songs in total and most of them are amazing. What I mean by this is the general beat of the cd, with enough fast paced songs and some slower, powerful ones too.
With the first listen, none of the songs made much of an impression but once I heard it again, I started to get to know them and found them to be addictive-they get stuck in your head a lot.

I was disappointed with 2 things which is why I didn't give it 5 stars:
-The album art-work (I prefered the albums with horror-punk undertones and especially the Alan Forbes graphics)
-The lyrics (usually very deep, mysterious and with many possible interpretations)
This cd had mediocre designs, nothing horror/Misfits style at all.
The lyrics are merely ok, some songs slightly better than others. Usually Davey writes such beautiful lyrics; to describe the ones here I would say it is as if he has dampened them down and made them more widely accessible and 'understandable'.
Another change, found in DU too, was the lack of a hidden/secret song, plus lack of those hidden words on the vertical section of the cd. It's small details like this that disappoint me.

I think that "hardcore" AFI fans will like this cd, if they keep an open mind; it is better than DU for sure, less emo, less whiny, if anything it is more like 'Sing the Sorrow'. My favorite song of all is 'Where we used to play' which is actually found on the extra cd. I hope I have helped you to understand what this cd is about, and I hope you enjoy it if you do decide to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so relieved., 30 Sep 2009
This review is from: Crash Love (Audio CD)
AFI are hands down my favourite band and I was worried that this album wouldn't live up to my expectations. I loved Decemberunderground, but I was worried that Crash Love would have an even more electronic sound like Blaqk Audio. Luckily, I was wrong. Despite AFI changing their sound on nearly every album, they still sound retain their identity, and Crash Love is no different. I'd say it's more similar to Sing the Sorrow than any of their other albums style wise, but they've moved forward as they always do.
In short, I absolutely love this album. Davey doesn't scream, but his voice is perfect, the lyrics are beautiful as always and the music is powerful. The songs sound complete and are also catchy as hell.
I'm sure it will attract new fans, but older fans should love it too as this is truly a wonderful album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 17 May 2010
Music is a love it or hate it world of opposing forces.

I love this band, the music on this album is different from the rest of their albums but still enjoyable

bonus tracks only sweeten the deal

5.0 out of 5 stars gamer, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Crash Love (Audio CD)
i loved this cd .i love a.f.i anyway and this was brilliant listened to it all the time over and over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Took two listens before I grudingly fell in love, 6 Jun 2010
S. Kimber (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crash Love (Audio CD)
I've been a massive fan of AFI since my early teens. Starting with The Art of Drowning, I've enjoyed the difference in their albums (but may have struggled a bit with decemberunderground). Upon first listen, Crash Love sounded just like every other emo punk album I'd heard, but I did feel an immediate affinity with Too Shy To Scream. Listening again only threw a couple of tracks into the rubbish bin - which is always a neccessary sacrifice, I find, with bands as diverse as AFI.

1. Torch Song - glad to see this retains their ability to create fantastic intros. Wonderfully dramatic and a great opener to the whole album.
2. Beautiful Thieves - a nice tune. Not surprised to see it's been chosen as a single with the usual 'femme fatale' themed accompanying video.
3. End Transmission - enjoyable to listen to, but I don't really enjoy it. A bit 'tinkily' for me. Love the lyrics though, reminds me of Sing The Sorrow's melodramatic pleasures.
4. Too Shy To Scream - absolute belter of a track! Great intro, cheeky pop chorus and it's over far too soon. 10/10!
5. Veronica Sawyer Smokes - I always skip this track - I'm just not really bothered about it. Davey's vocals are good as always and it's got a very pleasant feel to it.
6. Okay, I Feel Better Now - lovely depressing track that loses it's way a bit at the end.
7. Medicate - great intro but the impact fades away a bit. I listen to it every time, though.
8. I Am Trying Very Hard To Be Here - in the same style as To Shy To Scream, but a bit more serious. Seems to be about the world of Hollywood, previously criticised well in This Celluloid Dream. I like the fact that they've returned to this and also that the song is very good! Not single-worthy but I imagine it's amazing live and a great tune.
9. Sacrilege - I love this song, really well balanced, not a massive fan of the chorus but everything else works brilliantly.
10. Darling, I Want To Destroy You - great power ballad (if you can call it that). Why do AFI always have a better album second half?
11. Cold Hands - I gather this song has divided critics. It's a bit cheesy but the guitar is great and Davey's vocals are delightfully apocalypic.
12. It Was Mine - perfect song to end the album. Melancholy and distressing vocals from Davey Havok, not quite Now The World (or at all) but fits onto the end of the album nicely.

All in all the album flows really, really well, all in the same neat style. It's diverse enough for even your Feeder-loving boyfriend to appreciate. I listen to it all the time. Only gave it four stars because it took a while to get used to and it's not Sing The Sorrow.

P.S. Deluxe edition - only really worth getting for We've Got The Knife, one of the best songs I've heard in ages.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible, 10 May 2010
Thomas Wood - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crash Love (Audio CD)
i have enjoyed all A.F.I.'s albums so far, apart from this one. it is a change and a bad one at that. it seems they've decided to try go mainstream and failed, epically. i loved their last album Decemberunderground but don't even listen to this one. if you listen to this it should disappoint you in every way. I'ts boring

4.0 out of 5 stars Afi living backwards?, 12 April 2010
D. L. Wilkinson "Dean" (London,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crash Love (Audio CD)
It seems afi are one of the rare breed of bands who get better with age.Their earlier stuff seems quite kinder punk to me,enjoyable in the way a puppy may chase it's tail,but from sing the sorrow they have matured interestingly whilst still retaining their energy.The blaqk audio album is really good as well even though it totally rips of depeche mode and 90's europop.A good advert for change,progression and not pandering to adolescent narrow mindedness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty decent, 10 April 2010
Bertie (Oop North, UK) - See all my reviews
Being relatively new to AFI I don't really feel the disappointment that seems to be echoing round some circles. To be honest, I'm not really bothered about the early punky stuff and much prefer the broader more accessible sound thay have now. I have (and like very much) both Decemberunderground and Sing The Sorrow, the former being my first AFI album. It's still my favourite of the 3 too but this holds up pretty well. It's a more streamlined affair, straight up with less of the electronics and atmosphere that held Decemberunderground together. The songs are catchy, easy to listen too but still maintain the AFI feel whilst showcasing their steadily evolving sound and knack of writing decent pop songs for an alternative audience. The 4 bonus tracks on the deluxe edition are all very good and I also like the artwork for challenging my preconceptions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, but just as good, 5 April 2010
Hanne-Marie B. Christensen "HanneBC" (Nuuk, Greenland) - See all my reviews
Just so you know it, I'm not a fan of their new stuff only. I am a fan of all the things AFI has done. I listen to all of their albums. This CD is good, it's just a shame that it's only in "Fainting Spells" Davey screams.
Many people doesn't like this CD, because it's too poppy or something, but it's good with variation and I know I would have been bored if they played the same kind of music instead of trying something new.
Buy this CD if you like December Underground and Sing The Sorrow. Buy AFI - Retrospective too, it's really good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another step forward, 27 Feb 2010
T. Richards (Kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Crash Love (Audio CD)
To anyone worried that Crash Love may not live up to expectation - take a sigh of relief, and take comfort in the fact that AFI have unleashed another handsome bat out of their well-established hell.

As is the way with previous albums, the opening track, Torch Song, kicks in with a heavy, steady beat and introduces the listener to the rest of the album with style and aplomb. And Davey Havok's familiar voice.

AFI are done away with the days where they shouted and screamed their way into the hearts and minds of their fans, heavy, thrashy guitars to match the well-organised, yet haphazard drumming.

In a similar developmental step to those seen with Sing the Sorrow and Decemberunderground, AFI have grown up and matured just a little more, and produced a clever album, slick in its approach, near-perfect in its execution. 'Medicate', their radio song, is genuinely an outstanding track, full of their familiar energy and throwing in a cracking guitar solo to go out with a bang. Other songs on the album follow in his vein, 'Sacrilege' and 'Cold Hands' keeping up the pace later on. 'End Transmission' is another fine number, putting me very much in mind of the headier heights of Decemberunderground.

Crash Love isn't an entirely new sound, I'll concede, but it's original enough to make it worth your time. It's another well-executed and clever step forward into maturity from AFI, and one that shouldn't be ignored.

Crash Love
Crash Love by A.F.I. (Audio CD - 2009)