5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000
I did quite a bit of research prior to buying this product as I wanted something that was easy to use and had an excellent wireless connection. I was very aware of some wireless key board and mouse sets having terrible troubles with connecting to the computer/receiver. My last Microsoft key board was terrible so it nearly put me off all together with the Microsoft brand...
Published on 18 Nov 2010 by RobW

2.0 out of 5 stars A couple of major shortcomings
Mouse
I like the mouse. Feels comfortable in the hand and is responsive. I haven't had it long enough to comment on battery life, but as one of the other reviewers mentioned there's no switch to turn it off and preserve the battery (unlike Logitech mice).

Keyboard
The keys have a reasonable feel to them. I like the curved keyboard layout (although I...
Published 13 months ago by Cooperman

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars suitability, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout (Electronics)
I am an older person and have a problem with my righthand. The larger keyboard with raised keys means I make less mistakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Desktop 5000, 4 Jan 2011
Very good keyboard. Lots of functions and easy to use. The compatible mouse is a joy.

Service from Amazon was excellent and delivery was in the time span stated, in spite of the Xmas rush.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-term use - OK with minor issues, 4 Dec 2014
***After about 1 year of use:

No major problems. Some lettering on certain keys 'faded' or worn away (however, these are the shift, A and S keys - which leads me to think a certain family member was gaming on it!?!?). No great problem as I know where the keys are!!!

Mouse: scroll wheel sticking - fixed with silicon spray

***After almost 2 years use:

Still working great, no further issues.

Mouse: ok, scroll wheel needs silicon occassionally.

*** General comments:
- Mouse is tough!!! Have dropped on hard floor several times!!
- Keyboard is tough (aside from issues above)
- Battery life is good.
- Escape key is small - awkward if needed frequently (like in AutoCAD, Windows, etc.).
- F-function keys are small also (F-lock status not on keyboard)
- All keys working ok.
- Would buy replacement keys if I could find them (!)
- Else, will buy again (unless there's a new version with bigger function keys!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and uses only one USB port, 21 Mar 2014
The keyboard is good for my big hands and the key action is nice. The mouse is big but that's good for me. It was key that I get both wireless usign only a single USB port. There are fancier versions but this does everything I need it to.

2.0 out of 5 stars UK Version - tiny tiny left shift key and tiny function keys, 7 Mar 2014
This keyboard is not bad on the whole, but on the UK version the large-ish shift key from the US version is replaced with two keys, one with "|" and "\" and the smallest shift key I have ever seen. As a coder this is very annoying as are the small function keys, personally I prefer them the same size as the other keys on the keyboard.

I also don't really find it any more comfortable than a standard keyboard where the keys are in a straight line rather than the curve you have here.

The keyboard has a lot of extras buttons across the top for things like multimedia control, opening email client etc. although personally I don't really use any of them apart from the media ones occasionally.

The keys are not very high and feel a bit spongy, I also seem to spend a lot of time hitting the wrong key, but that may be because I swap between this in the office and a more traditional design at home.

All in all pretty disappointed, but that may be because I spend a lot of time at a keyboard and maybe use shift and function keys more than most (and I have a mechanical keyboard at home). I certainly wouldn't recommend the keyboard to anyone, at least in the UK guise.

The mouse on the other had does it's job perfectly well, with the blue light working nicely on a desktop.

I haven't had it long enough to comment on battery life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost a great set but keyboard slightly twisted, 17 Oct 2013
First the good points. On the surface of it the set feels like it is good quality - the keys are quiet yet feel solid, the mouse glides effortlessly and tracks perfectly on any surface I've tried. I also think they styling and ergonomics are really good. It doesn't look too geeky and covered in buttons yet has everything I need. Functionally both work flawlessly even with the USB dongle hidden away behind the computer and under the desk (unlike previous sets I've owned which need to be within line of sight to actually pick up a signal!).

However, it isn't perfect. The shiny plastic finish on top of the mouse is smooth to the touch but I find it constantly looks filthy with fingerprints and smears. But the biggest problem is that my keyboard like many others on here does not sit perfectly flat and wobbles slightly. This is easily solved with a business card under one of the feet but really detracts from the overall quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Customer Service non-existant, 20 Feb 2013
Mr. R. Street "il_bobesso" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have given this kit 3 stars after some consideration - I was thinking about only giving it 2 stars. Nothing wrong with the keyboard, it is easy to use even if the hotkeys are smaller than is conventional. The layout is otherwise familiar. The mouse is comfortable if slightly bulkier than I was expecting, and given the choice I would have preferred a wheel that "clicks" when roated rather than running smoothly, but that's just my personal preference. Set-up was very easy, just pop in the batteries (provided!) and plug the dongle (?) into an available USB port. Where the product really falls down is the lack of support for the user. There is no user manual whatsoever provided in the package, either on disc or on paper. And an exhaustive - and exhausting! - internet search revealed no user guide available online. This sadly is, in my experience, typical of Microsoft who appear to be increasingly content to leave such trifling matters to internet forums, a totally unsatisfactory approach in my view. Eventually, after several hours, I found out by trial and error how to personalise the hotkeys and other settings through the Hardware And Sound section of my PC's Control Panel but this could easily have been simplified by the provision of a basic set of instructions either online or on a leaflet or disc enclosed with the kit. But for this glaring omission I would have been happy to give at least 4 stars, but as it is I feel I can only recommend this product to users who have a good level of expertise with computers. This is not one for the beginner!

5.0 out of 5 stars keyboard, 24 Dec 2012
This was to replace the one supplied with new computer which I found too small. I love the curve and the wrist rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Brilliant as Usual, 3 Nov 2012
Lynn Davies (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
After several years of stirling service from a Microsoft Comfort Laser 7000 it became necessary to replace my set up. Many of the letters on the keys had worn off from years of use. Not a problem to me as I touch type but family members of the 'hunt and peck' variety found it quite frustrating.

My new keyboard arrived well packaged as always from Amazon. Took it out of the box and fitted the batteries. All that I needed to do was to plug in the USB receiver and off we went. It worked first time after downloading its drivers and giving me several options for setting up the buttons. As I have had a similar if not the same set up it was easy to sort out.

Keys on the keyboard are comfortingly firm and very responsive. I like the solid legs to raise the back of the keyboard. You have the choice of them in or not. All you have to do is to pop them in the slots and twist them into place. Much more solid than the fold down variety. Mouse is a good size (I hate the little mice that abound out there) Buttons have a definite 'click' so you know something is going to happen.

All in all a very good keyboard and mouse package. Well worth the extra for the left thumb mouse button. Mine is set as the back button.

Thank you Microsoft for always providing consistent quality and useable equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for developers too, 20 Oct 2010
Its really important to me to use a keyboard that make me feel wanting to type more :) This product is one of them. Microsoft hardwares are good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›