5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000
Published on 18 Nov 2010 by RobW

3.0 out of 5 stars Wireless keyboard
Overall this product is very good however there is one extremely frustrating negative - there is no 'CAPS on' light!
Published on 29 Dec 2009 by Mrs D

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (Retail Packaging) (Electronics)
I did quite a bit of research prior to buying this product as I wanted something that was easy to use and had an excellent wireless connection. I was very aware of some wireless key board and mouse sets having terrible troubles with connecting to the computer/receiver. My last Microsoft key board was terrible so it nearly put me off all together with the Microsoft brand. None the less I wanted value for money at the same time so this product came up in my price bracket. There were a number of detractors on minor points but loads on the positive side so I came to the conclusion I would take the risk and buy it.
This is my appraisal:
The key board is a lovely slightly curved shape making it very easy to use compared to a straight key board.
I would say the majority of the keys are good if not better to other key boards. The only exception is the the left shift key as it is a little small.
It is very quiet to use the keys and they are easy to use and respond.
The front edge is curved and covered in a rubber cross hatched finish so slip resistant.
It matches and functions very well with my Windows 7 system.
The mouse works very well on different surfaces with no skidding.
The mouse is quite large but easy to use.
The mouse wheel is fabulous to use, so light and responsive.
The mouse has a nice slip resistant sides to the plastic surface.
Last but not least I have excellent transmitting between the keyboard and mouse to the USB receiver plugged into the computer.

All in all a good buy in terms of design, functionality and value.

PS: The Belkin long wrist rest fits beautifully to the shape of this curved key board when reversed so see my product review on that item if looking for one or a mouse pad.

5.0 out of 5 stars very comfortable keyboard and mouse, 3 April 2010
Ms E. F. Eby "Kilvroch" (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
I work from home on a pc for a minimum of 10 hours per day.
This is my third keyboard and moouse set for my desktop in 4 years. Originally I used a wired natural keyboard, and loved it because it relieved my carpal tunnel stress. When that died (killed by a glass of red wine) I got a standard wireless keyboard and mouse. They drove me batty, as my phones are cordless and my network was wireless, and the signals were forever getting disrupted and the batteries drained.

This "Comfort" set are just that: very comfortable. The only drawback is the tiny size of the Function keys, but that is minor. I have been using this new set for over a month now, and experienced absolutely no connection problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent keyboard, 17 Dec 2010
T. Irwin - See all my reviews
I bought this keyboard to replace a logitech keyboard that had stopped working. I bought it because it was a "Which?" magazine Best Buy. The Amazon details said that this keyboard would not work with Windows 7 (64 bit) but I checked with Microsoft Technical helpline who reassured me that it would. Setting up the keyboard and its software was easy. Windows 7 searched for and found updated 64 bit drivers automatically.

I like the keyboard and its features and quickly adapted to the curved layout. My only complaint is that the left hand shift key is rather small but I have now adapted to even this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality combination, 13 Jun 2010
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
I am very pleased with this keyboard and mouse which I bought to replace the OEM keyboard and mouse supplied with my new Windows 7 PC.

The keyboard is quiet and precise with many customisable features. The ergonomic configuration is comfortable, although, the keys are quite close together for those with large fingers. This keyboard also seems to mirror the trend in the current marketplace for a smaller footprint - having owned a number of Microsoft and Logitech keyboards in the past this is by far the most compact and frees up space on the desktop. The wrist rest is quite solid although a slight annoyance is that the patterned moulding is inclined to harbour dirt. The keyboard is supplied with optional rubber feet which can be inserted in two positions to produce a forward or backward slope. One point I'd make is, that out of the box, the keyboard can feel slightly "wonky" on your desk just like a poorly levelled restaurant table - however, a gentle twist in the right direction will make it perfectly level. Overall, the look, feel and performance of this keyboard shouts quality.

The mouse (MS Wireless Mouse 5000), is very precise and excellent to hold. It is somewhat flatter and wider in profile than other mice and, in common with the keyboard, has a number of customisable features using the supplied MS software.

The USB wireless dongle is very compact and installation using the supplied driver CD is a breeze. This is a high quality combination which is specifically designed to support Windows 7 and is strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !, 10 Jun 2010
O. Jarrett - See all my reviews
I love this keyboard. Its nice, small and extremely well made. Although if your used to using Microsoft keyboards then you'll feel at home with this one. This keys are slightly out of place comparing to other keyboards. However i like the layout out even though i use these Microsoft keyboards all day in college, so i'm used to the change.

The mouse is great, very precise and accurate. You can see Microsoft done a excellent job in engineering this mouse. First optical then laser now blue track. The wireless is great too, very smooth and accurate and you'll never notice any lag what so ever.

Money wise i think its a bargain, not to mention the expensive keyboards logitech make which are nice but overpriced immensely. My last logitech was the 'Logitech Wave' and i loved the thing at first but got on my nerves after because i had so much lag with the mouse and keyboard and the receiver is less than a meter away from it! However the noise was unbearable, it's like the loudest keyboard ever. On the other hand this baby is so quiet i can hardly hear it. It's strange not hearing what i'm typing but i guess i'll have to get used to it. I think it's prob the best mouse and keyboard bundle you can get for this price. Microsoft has done a excellent job in this one.

The shortcut keys on the top are really good too. Although the 'logitech Wave' was better, it seems this keyboard can't pause or play songs just off the keyboard you need the music player open. However it works perfectly with Windows media player. I find this annoying but i'm still going to give it 5 stars because i don't use them that much anyway =)

Comparing this with my 'Logitech Wave' i would definitely pick this baby. Not to mention Logitech's terrible set point continuously running in the background taking up RAM. Don't worry though this keyboard has software but it doesn't run like set point. you only run it when you want to change a command etc.

Overall i am very happy with my product and would highly recommend for anyone who is looking for a new keyboard and mouse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great product, 9 Feb 2013
V. Barclay (UK) - See all my reviews
I always wanted a curved keyboard, I admit for looks but also having had used one once I liked the wrist support and streamlined feel. I actually got the Logitech M305 mouse as wasn't sure about using the one supplied after reading the reviews but I kind of wish I hadn't now. I really like the mouse supplied. Probably because I have large hands (for a girl) so it feels much better but I also really like that the USB fits underneath when you are not using it so less easy to lose but also switches the mouse off to save battery. Great design! It's also really responsive. I have wrist and neck issues from mild RSI and this package is helping those aches and pains already. Looks good to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A keyboard deluxe ., 23 Sep 2010
Well worth having for a non wired mouse alone but the keyboard
has a large number of programmable keys to give you nearly
instantaneous access to your commands. The gently curving rows
of keys seems to lead your fingers , , , For best comfort buy the
jelly filled pad as a wrist cushion offered as well. Easy to install
and recomended to all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wireless keyboard, 29 Dec 2009
Mrs D (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, well-designed keyboard and mouse, 6 Mar 2012
I have to say that I have been sceptical of ergonoically-approaved keyboards for some time now. However, as a result of having to demonstrate a new website development on a plasma screen for members of my company's senior team for some months now, I opted for a Plasma and PC as opposed to a OHDP. In the meeting room set-up, I needed either a keyboard/mouse combo with extra-long cables or a wireless combo. I opted for the wireless solution - for obvious reasons. With many competing products to choose from - many, it has to be said, less expensive options, I chose the MS ergonomic option as much out of curiosity than anything else. I have to say it has been a dream product. You very soon adapt to the curved keyboard and with the wrist rest embedded, typing is pleasurable once more. It really is a very clean, well-designed, nice-to-use keyboard (with nicely weighted and sensible keyboard lay-out). The mouse is well designed, comfortable to use and responds well also.

I would recommend this product for all who are, as I was, a little sceptical of such products; it really is very good and great for meeting rooms. I cannot priase it enough. A little more expensive than the plain wireless keyboard/mouse combo - but worth it!

2.0 out of 5 stars A couple of major shortcomings, 14 Nov 2013
Mouse
I like the mouse. Feels comfortable in the hand and is responsive. I haven't had it long enough to comment on battery life, but as one of the other reviewers mentioned there's no switch to turn it off and preserve the battery (unlike Logitech mice).

Keyboard
The keys have a reasonable feel to them. I like the curved keyboard layout (although I would have preferred it even more curved like the old corded one with the split in the middle that Microsoft produced years ago).Nice palm rest, but I would have liked it to extend a bit more to the left - the left-hand half of my left hand tends to dangle off the end of the palm rest.
However for me (an IT professional), this keyboard has two MAJOR flaws... The shift key that I use is the one at the bottom left - it's TINY, so a lot of the time I end up missing it. I've tried to get used to the one at the bottom right (which is much bigger), but can't get used to it. The other thing is that the Esc key is also tiny and isn't really a proper key, so again, I have trouble hitting it (and for someone who uses Unix 'vi' a lot this is a real pain). I will be quite interested to see how the letter transfers on the keys wear (my wife has tended to wear them off the various Logitech keyboards she's had in the blink of an eye, hence why I went for Microsoft this time).

General
The USB transceiver is a bit bulky compared to the Logitech transceiver.
I don't like the shiney finish.

ARRAY(0xa476fdc8)