5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at an excellent price
Hoya filters are excellent, and if you go to their website, you will find that the HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) series are a step up from the "standard" range. It is very easy to pay more than this for a standard filter, so shop around for the HMC level, which reduces the reflection given by the glass.

The visual effect given by a UV filter is very subtle but still...
Published on 5 Oct 2011 by David P

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoya UV Filter - 67mm
Published on 6 April 2010 by Bald Kiwi

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoya UV Filter - 67mm, 6 April 2010
Bald Kiwi (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoya 67mm UV(C) Digital HMC Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
I bought this filter to protect the front element of a new 17-85mm lens on my Canon Eos 500D digital camera. I have used Hoya filters throughout my photographic career which spans 40 years and have always been happy with optical quality, and this example follows the trend. However, when I reviewed my photos later on the computer screen I noted there was some vignetting at the 17mm wide angle end of the zoom range. This was not visible in the camera viewfinder. Clearly, this issue would affect any filter fitted to the front of wide angle lenses, especially deeper ones like polarisers, or if you wish to stack more than one filter. Buying "slimline" filters may reduce the problem. Naturally this annoyed me initially until I realised that I composed my shots in the viewfinder and this only shows 95% of the sensor image. A quick crop to remove the outer edge in an image editing program removed the visible vignetting and gave me the original picture I'd photographed. Doing away with the filter is not an option, and I'll put up with the inconvenience rather than risk scratching the front element of a very useful £500 lens!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at an excellent price, 5 Oct 2011
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

The visual effect given by a UV filter is very subtle but still clearly visible, especially in sunny landscape shots. They certainly never seem to have an adverse effect, and so are ideal to leave on a lens permanently as a means of protection. If you want to really visibly enhance your outdoor shots, go for a polarising filter, which can be fitted on top of this if you want to, although this might lead to some vignetting on wide angle shots due to the combined length of the rings.

Overall, excellent and convenient lens protection at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens protector, 19 May 2013
Having used this make of filter 30 years before I was pleased to see it still available. The product is well made and a good fit. Delivery was prompt as expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the big case?, 24 Jun 2012
Toppam (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
Workd fine and was exactly right for the job. A good quality product and well worth it for protecting the £300 lens which it lives on. It comes in the same size plastic case as a much larger lens, but as it lives on the lens, so what?

5.0 out of 5 stars good product. reasonably priced., 12 Jun 2012
J. Y. Chen "jVc" (uk) - See all my reviews
for the price, this is a quality product. bought for my canon 24-105mm lens. and have not taken it off since.

1.0 out of 5 stars I am fairly certain mine was a dud or a fake, 3 Jun 2013
In my "unreviewed items" this purchase is showing as made by Hoya, sold and fulfilled by Amazon.

I am fairly certain that mine bought via Amazon, was fulfilled by Amazon but sold by a seller. I have this filter in 58mm, 72mm & 77mm versions and they are fine. This one though I am certain is a dud or a fake. The green reflections even in broad daylight are shocking. Sadly I was in South America at the time and had it delivered to a friend, by the time it had got back to me, it was more than 30 days after my purchase and Amazon wasn't really interested in my objections.

I went back to Amazon to purchase 52mm and another 58mm B+W UV filter.

Buyer beware when buying filters online, check them in different lighting conditions, Hoya UV(C) filters should not have green flares on the images

3.0 out of 5 stars I never use a camera without one, 23 Jan 2014
It does what it says, - it cuts out UV so reduces haze on pictures. There are many makes and they all work well but Hoya is a well known filter manufacturer and their prices are reasonable so making this one a good choice.
UV filters do not affect the exposure and as well as cutting out UV also protect the front element of the lens from dust, knocks, fingerprints and accidental damage.
A UV filter is always my first purchase for a new camera or lens, - based on the assumption that it is easier and cheaper to replace a filter worth about £10 rather than or lens (or even the whole camera) which could be worth hundreds of £.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have filter, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Hoya 67mm UV(C) Digital HMC Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
Why? simply put, it saved my 70-300L lens from total annihilation when the camera slipped out of my shoulder and landed face down on sidewalk. Don't get fooled by it's supposed optical qualities. All HMC filters have +96% transparency of light and that is the most important aspect. It;s primary function is physical protection of the lens the UV filtering is better left to POL-CIR fiolters

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 10 May 2012
K. Childs (Wales) - See all my reviews
Arrived well packaged. Quality seems to be good. Very happy with the price and the quality of the product. Very happy

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya 52mm filter, 10 Feb 2014
Mr. Gordon Downie (Stoke-on-Trent, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this to protect my Nikon lens (just in case) as some years ago I ruined an expensive lens with an inadvertent scratch. Cheaper to replace a filter than a lens anytime. Good little unit and does not seem to have affected the lens performance adversely. Good value for money.