5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, well designed. Love it.
I got this little radio recently after requesting it for christmas. I was so excited about it and wanted to use it so much I'm afraid I opened the package early. It's a brilliantly designed little device.

Published on 18 Dec. 2010 by C. Sheppard

3.0 out of 5 stars Tonal quality not great
This is quite a good little radio but I'm surprised that so many reviewers praise the sound quality. There is plenty of volume and no distortion, but it lacks the crisp clarity of the similarly sized and priced Pure One (our other DAB radio)and has an annoying slightly muffled, flat sound. There is nothing you can do about this as it has no tone control of any sort...
Published on 22 Jun. 2011 by Martin Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, well designed. Love it., 18 Dec. 2010
C. Sheppard (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts Unologic DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built-in Battery Charger - Black (Electronics)

I'd wanted a DAB radio after listening to channels like absolute 90's and 80's at work that are only available on DAB or internet radio. I don't have DAB at home and I wanted to use it while doing house hold chores etc.

The radio looks nice, is well designed. It gives very good and chrystal clear DAB reception. The sound quality and volume is good for a small portable device. It has good connectivity with line in and headphone sockets plus a USB socket for connecting to a PC to update the firmware.

The display is clear and finding channels is easy. A quick glance at the manual sorted out how to save preset stations and it has a Favourite button for easy access to your number 1 favourite DAB or FM station depending on which you have it set to at the time.

I love the fact that it has a built in battery charger, so if you use NiMH rechargeable AA batteries the radio keeps them charged up so they're always ready to use away from a power source. Ideal for me where I keep the radio in the kitchen plugged in and use it when I'm cooking, washing up etc but can take it anywhere in the house with me so far I've not noticed problems with power drain like the other reviewer. I do know that some rechargeable batteries don't hold their charge well between charges though I've had duracell AA rechargeables that go flat within a week when not used for anything. I currently use energizers or Ansmann AAs that work well and hold their charge.

I really like the look of the radio too, it's modern but quite stylish and with green credentials I can't think of anything not to like about it. A very well designed radio that should give many hours of listening pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Little Radio, 31 Dec. 2009
Mr. Mr. Macdonald (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
Just got my new Roberts Unologic today, this is the second Roberts DAB Radio I have owned and I have to say that on first impressions this is another top notch effort from Roberts.
The unit is a single speaker mono radio, and sound quality is First Rate with no distortion until near max volume, the clarity on vocals is crystal clear, I was quite suprised to find that this unit also has a reasonable amount of bass.
The case is strong and of a good quality plastic as you would expect from Roberts.
The built in battery charger is another bonus, there is a switch for either normal or rechargeable batterys (takes 4 x AA) when set to rechargeable the unit will charge the batterys but only when the radio is not in use.
There is a soft rubber rotary volume control on the side, and a soft rubber tunning dial on the front.
Once you have pressed the autotune button on the front it will scan for all the available DAB stations in your area, you also have a Favourite button which you can asign to your Favourite Radio station, I would of liked to have had at least 5 presets as I had on my previous Radio but unfortunatley this is not the case, but you can flick through all staions easily using the dial on the front once you have done the initial autotune.
So in Summary a very well made and weighty little Radio, fresh faced design and at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Radio, 24 Nov. 2009
Roberts are renown for their high quality radios and this model certainly doesn't disappoint. What impressed me the most is the sound quality and sheer level of volume - both of which would embarrass much larger rivals. This means it works just as well as a kitchen radio as it would a "portable". Other particularly neat features include; a rotary tuning control, a high quality analogue volume knob (rather than unresponsive or flimsy buttons) and a built in battery charger if you want to use it with rechargable batteries. The large LCD display is also an added bonus. Overall, I can't fault it, hence the 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality and style, 9 Dec. 2009
bookwormsu "thrifty" (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The first thing that struck me about this radio was the large easy-to-read RDS display. I listen to Classic FM a lot and am always wanting to know what is being played. So this is a good thing for me as being OAP my sight is not as good as it was. It is very easy to Autotune and did it for itself the first time. Easy to set stations- four presets and FM, four in DAB and an over riding "Favourite " button. It has a connection for an MP3 player which works - I have tested on my Sony MP3- you need a 3.5mm jack to jack cable. It uses ordinary AA batteries (four) which are easily obtainable. But you can also use rechargable ones and the radio has a built in battery-charger. I have tested this and it works. I am pleased with this function as means it will be very low maintainance. I have charged 4 batteries I happened to have lying around the house, but I don't know yet how many hours you get. It will not charge batteries and play the radio at the same time which is the only slight drawback, but I can see this is a necessary part of the design, as it takes both types of batteries. I wont be carrying this around the house, but will occasionally need it on batteries. And I intend keeping them charged up in case of a power cut. oh - when its on battery the display only operates for a brief time. Overall a very good item and in keeping with ecological ethics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts DAB radio, 15 Nov. 2010
Roy M (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
The radio arrived very quickly and it tuned in all the DAB stations and FM stations quickly and no problem. The size is perfect for placing on top of my sideboard and looks very good, not too small and not too big. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sound which is, for a small radio with only one speaker, is very good, and would satisfy most buyers, even at loud volume.
I am very happy with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone who wants an excellent portable radio without being blinded with science, with good sound and without the need for enormous speakers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 7 Feb. 2011
I like this radio. For me, the pro and cons - just my preference.

The positive points:

1. The inbuilt charger is really good for convenience - its always charged when you take it from its normal place of residence.

2. Setting and selecting the preset channels is really easy (just spend a few minutes reading the manual).

3. Build quality is good - you should expect this for the price.

4. I personally have had no problem with reception or sound quality.

5. The volume control is analogue - rather then the more anoying incremental type - where, invariably you want the one just inbetween - only really annoying if you listen to the radio late at night I think, a small criticism of my Pure radio.

Negatives:

1. The display stays illuminated when connected to the mains - only a problem if you listen at night and do not want the light - but could see how it would be quite annoying for some, as it is suprisingly bright. A further button would be my suggestion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review From The USA, 29 Sept. 2011
William Karda - See all my reviews
Here in the USA we do not have DAB, but we do have many FM-RDS radio stations. I wanted to own this Roberts radio because of it's excellent reception of FM-RDS stations, and its full decoding of all transmitted data. This little radio has fulfilled my needs very nicely. The problem with FM-RDS radios directly sold in the USA (like the Sangean 909X) have been they are all of the "starburst" kind, and cannot properly decode and separate all the various RDS data sent over the airwaves. The Roberts Unologic does a great job in having the ability to separate all the RMS data; and even for the first time, being able to show the exact time and date signals sent by some of the FM stations. Now, I can easily view the scolling text of song artist name and song title on one part of the large screen, plus station name information on the top line. Now, I can even see the text transmitted for various sponser adverts. For a small radio the sound is great, and the various controls are easy to master. This model is sold with a universal voltage adapter, and all I needed to buy to run the radio from my mains outlet was an adapter to convert the UK outlet plug to a USA output plug. Now, I can also use this great little radio with rechargable batteries. My only question is why Roberts does not offer these radios for direct sale in the USA. To me, as a radio hobbiest, Roberts makes some of the best radios in the world today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up, 30 Dec. 2009
Originally ordered the Roberts ECO1BK Ecologic 1 DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio wth Built-in Battery Charger - Black but ended up returning this item with a one star rating. You can read the review on this item if you visit the product.

I replaced it with this.

The reception is a big improvement, can't wait for the S Aftica V's England commentary.

It is bulkier which for me was a positive. It makes it easier to handle and less likely to topple over.

Excellent product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fit For Purpose, 22 Aug. 2014
I have owned one of these radios now for about 6 months, so am able to give a considered view, born from practical experience.
First of all, it is essential to use decent rechargeable batteries - I use Panasonic NiMH which are supposed to have a life of 2000 recharging cycles. Now, I use this radio for on average about 2 hours a day, usually listening to the news at meal times, and I find that with this moderate usage, the batteries last a full week - I've experienced non of the power leakage when the radio is switched off, to which a few reviews have alluded. The audio quality of the radio is quite acceptable, but obviously wouldn't be classed as hi-fidelity, but then, one wouldn't expect it to be.The volume level is perfectly acceptable. The auto-tune immediately found over 40 stations,most of which come through loud and clear, and this in Suffolk which isn't blessed with the greatest DAB reception.There are seven different scrolling display modes, for those who like that sort of thing, and also a signal strength display. The FM mode works fine which is handy, given that our local radio Suffolk isn't yet available on DAB.There is a 'favourite station' button which when set up, will access one favourite station on either DAB or FM when momentarily pressed. More useful, perhaps, is the 'Preset Button' which allows easy access to an unlimited number of the stations of your choice. To set up this function, simply tune to the station required for a preset, press and hold the Preset button until a tick appears on the display, then repeat for other stations required for this function.To access the preset stations once set up, press the preset button, scroll through the stations, then press the tuning button to tune into the selected station - it sounds like a bit of a fiddle, but in reality is quite straight forward. There is a headphone socket, an auxiliary input socket and also an alleged USB socket for software updates, but unfortunately it's not a standard USB connection, so I'm suspecting that a specific USB input cable would have to be purchased from Roberts themselves, something that I haven't bothered to do.When the batteries are running critically low, a red warning light will appear and within 10 minutes, the unit will switch off. Re-charging is a simple affair achieved by connecting the mains adaptor which will elicit a green flashing light which will turn to a solid green light when the unit is fully charged. I'm not sure how long this takes as I usually re-charge the unit overnight. To summarise, I would recommend this radio as a decent buy and fit for purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner, 18 Dec. 2010
The radio has a nice warm tone, easy to use controls but above all good sensitivity for picking up signals in a weak field strength area. This last feature was something I was particularly interested in for both DAB and FM. It has a telescopic aerial that can be angled and works well without it being fully extended.
I've used re-chareable batteries and charge these while in the radio via the power cable that came with the unit.
It has a good range of presets, favourites and a favourite button for the top station of your choice.
I like the inputs for iPod or mp3 player - I can listen to these now without earphones. However, there is also a socket for headphones for listening in stereo while in bed!
Finally, the radio feels very solid and sturdy and it has a built in handle for easy carrying.
On the negative side, the LCD display looks a bit fluid as the text flows across it.
Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase.