on 18 December 2010
I got this little radio recently after requesting it for christmas. I was so excited about it and wanted to use it so much I'm afraid I opened the package early. It's a brilliantly designed little device.

I'd wanted a DAB radio after listening to channels like absolute 90's and 80's at work that are only available on DAB or internet radio. I don't have DAB at home and I wanted to use it while doing house hold chores etc.

The radio looks nice, is well designed. It gives very good and chrystal clear DAB reception. The sound quality and volume is good for a small portable device. It has good connectivity with line in and headphone sockets plus a USB socket for connecting to a PC to update the firmware.

The display is clear and finding channels is easy. A quick glance at the manual sorted out how to save preset stations and it has a Favourite button for easy access to your number 1 favourite DAB or FM station depending on which you have it set to at the time.

I love the fact that it has a built in battery charger, so if you use NiMH rechargeable AA batteries the radio keeps them charged up so they're always ready to use away from a power source. Ideal for me where I keep the radio in the kitchen plugged in and use it when I'm cooking, washing up etc but can take it anywhere in the house with me so far I've not noticed problems with power drain like the other reviewer. I do know that some rechargeable batteries don't hold their charge well between charges though I've had duracell AA rechargeables that go flat within a week when not used for anything. I currently use energizers or Ansmann AAs that work well and hold their charge.

I really like the look of the radio too, it's modern but quite stylish and with green credentials I can't think of anything not to like about it. A very well designed radio that should give many hours of listening pleasure.
0Comment|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2009
Just got my new Roberts Unologic today, this is the second Roberts DAB Radio I have owned and I have to say that on first impressions this is another top notch effort from Roberts.
The unit is a single speaker mono radio, and sound quality is First Rate with no distortion until near max volume, the clarity on vocals is crystal clear, I was quite suprised to find that this unit also has a reasonable amount of bass.
The case is strong and of a good quality plastic as you would expect from Roberts.
The built in battery charger is another bonus, there is a switch for either normal or rechargeable batterys (takes 4 x AA) when set to rechargeable the unit will charge the batterys but only when the radio is not in use.
There is a soft rubber rotary volume control on the side, and a soft rubber tunning dial on the front.
Once you have pressed the autotune button on the front it will scan for all the available DAB stations in your area, you also have a Favourite button which you can asign to your Favourite Radio station, I would of liked to have had at least 5 presets as I had on my previous Radio but unfortunatley this is not the case, but you can flick through all staions easily using the dial on the front once you have done the initial autotune.
So in Summary a very well made and weighty little Radio, fresh faced design and at a good price.
22 comments|169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2009
The first thing that struck me about this radio was the large easy-to-read RDS display. I listen to Classic FM a lot and am always wanting to know what is being played. So this is a good thing for me as being OAP my sight is not as good as it was. It is very easy to Autotune and did it for itself the first time. Easy to set stations- four presets and FM, four in DAB and an over riding "Favourite " button. It has a connection for an MP3 player which works - I have tested on my Sony MP3- you need a 3.5mm jack to jack cable. It uses ordinary AA batteries (four) which are easily obtainable. But you can also use rechargable ones and the radio has a built in battery-charger. I have tested this and it works. I am pleased with this function as means it will be very low maintainance. I have charged 4 batteries I happened to have lying around the house, but I don't know yet how many hours you get. It will not charge batteries and play the radio at the same time which is the only slight drawback, but I can see this is a necessary part of the design, as it takes both types of batteries. I wont be carrying this around the house, but will occasionally need it on batteries. And I intend keeping them charged up in case of a power cut. oh - when its on battery the display only operates for a brief time. Overall a very good item and in keeping with ecological ethics.
on 24 November 2009
Roberts are renown for their high quality radios and this model certainly doesn't disappoint. What impressed me the most is the sound quality and sheer level of volume - both of which would embarrass much larger rivals. This means it works just as well as a kitchen radio as it would a "portable". Other particularly neat features include; a rotary tuning control, a high quality analogue volume knob (rather than unresponsive or flimsy buttons) and a built in battery charger if you want to use it with rechargable batteries. The large LCD display is also an added bonus. Overall, I can't fault it, hence the 5 stars.
11 comment|219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2010
The radio arrived very quickly and it tuned in all the DAB stations and FM stations quickly and no problem. The size is perfect for placing on top of my sideboard and looks very good, not too small and not too big. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sound which is, for a small radio with only one speaker, is very good, and would satisfy most buyers, even at loud volume.
I am very happy with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone who wants an excellent portable radio without being blinded with science, with good sound and without the need for enormous speakers.
on 7 February 2011
I like this radio. For me, the pro and cons - just my preference.

The positive points:

1. The inbuilt charger is really good for convenience - its always charged when you take it from its normal place of residence.

2. Setting and selecting the preset channels is really easy (just spend a few minutes reading the manual).

3. Build quality is good - you should expect this for the price.

4. I personally have had no problem with reception or sound quality.

5. The volume control is analogue - rather then the more anoying incremental type - where, invariably you want the one just inbetween - only really annoying if you listen to the radio late at night I think, a small criticism of my Pure radio.

Negatives:

1. The display stays illuminated when connected to the mains - only a problem if you listen at night and do not want the light - but could see how it would be quite annoying for some, as it is suprisingly bright. A further button would be my suggestion.
on 20 November 2013
I've got a number of DAB radios dotted around the house and bought this one to listen to in the bathroom. All was fine until it suddenly stopped charging. Now it only works with normal batteries and not using the internal recharging system or the mains. Of course it's just out of warranty. I note that other reviewers have had issues with the charging. Nice idea but perhaps the build quality is lacking.
on 5 March 2014
Major problem seems to be with Roberts Radios is that the self charger gives up after a short period.
This is the second time that this has happened with this particular model.
It hasn't had a hard life, being used exclusively indoors.
I would not recommend this as result of my experiences, not only with this model, but others from the Roberts range.
on 29 September 2011
Here in the USA we do not have DAB, but we do have many FM-RDS radio stations. I wanted to own this Roberts radio because of it's excellent reception of FM-RDS stations, and its full decoding of all transmitted data. This little radio has fulfilled my needs very nicely. The problem with FM-RDS radios directly sold in the USA (like the Sangean 909X) have been they are all of the "starburst" kind, and cannot properly decode and separate all the various RDS data sent over the airwaves. The Roberts Unologic does a great job in having the ability to separate all the RMS data; and even for the first time, being able to show the exact time and date signals sent by some of the FM stations. Now, I can easily view the scolling text of song artist name and song title on one part of the large screen, plus station name information on the top line. Now, I can even see the text transmitted for various sponser adverts. For a small radio the sound is great, and the various controls are easy to master. This model is sold with a universal voltage adapter, and all I needed to buy to run the radio from my mains outlet was an adapter to convert the UK outlet plug to a USA output plug. Now, I can also use this great little radio with rechargable batteries. My only question is why Roberts does not offer these radios for direct sale in the USA. To me, as a radio hobbiest, Roberts makes some of the best radios in the world today.
on 30 December 2009
Originally ordered the Roberts ECO1BK Ecologic 1 DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio wth Built-in Battery Charger - Black but ended up returning this item with a one star rating. You can read the review on this item if you visit the product.

I replaced it with this.

The reception is a big improvement, can't wait for the S Aftica V's England commentary.

It is bulkier which for me was a positive. It makes it easier to handle and less likely to topple over.

Excellent product.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse