on 5 August 2010
Wonderfully easy to use gadget, and excellent quality films or pictures, viewed either on the PenCam screen or on my Apple computer. 4 GB and one hundred minutes of non-stop recording time, shorter battery time if you record on and off (battery recharged via USB to computer). Perfect size to hold or slip in my handbag.
BUT the instruction booklet is difficult to follow and incomplete. You can easily view your films on the PenCam tiny screen by pressing one button, the tiny views are very clear but you don't hear your voice talking. The problem arises when you want to download your films on your computer to look at them. It took me one hour to navigate from one window to another with incomprehensible technical data to chose from. In the end everything was downloaded and the images (films and photos) on my Apple were top quality. I backed them up on a DVD-R to keep a safe copy. BUT if my recorded DVD-R plays on my Apple, it won't play either on my PC " or on my DVD player. It says 'disk unsupported format', or it only shows one view, the first still frame of my first film!!!
Also, each time I stop recording and start again later it creates a new "file". When I view my films on computer I have to click on each 'file' individually to play it as a film. It would be better if it played automatically one 'file' after the other without interruption. Maybe it is possible to do that, but I am unable to find out how.
I phoned the Service Support Hotline number for UK and got a German person only able to stutter "colleague absent, e-mail".
An expert in electronics could probably solve all these problems and get this wonderful gadget to reproduce effortlessly what it has recorded inside its mechanism. As a user in her mid-seventies I do my best to educate myself, but my ageing brains has its limits.
In conclusion, 'je ne regrette rien'. I love my PenCam and one day it will return my love unconditionnally!
on 14 July 2013
Very compact and light, with a clip for pocket or belt (but this is rigid plastic so you have to be careful not to snap it). Can be used 'discretely' by hanging it off your belt with the lens facing outward or plug in the earphones and pretend you're using it as an MP3 player (which it is) while snapping away.

Quality of videos and stills is very good for a device of this sort.

As others have commented, the printed instructions are rather inadequate, though people used to connecting USB devices to computers should be able to use most functions.

A printed addendum documents additional software (provided on the device) to facilitate video upload to YouTube. I haven't tried this.

The 3" CD supplied includes a PDF copy of an E-Manual which is mostly like the printed one, with a little extra information, such as how to connect the unit to a PC or TV.

The CD also includes a Quick Time program to read the videos (if you don't already have a suitable program on your PC), and Media Impression, which seems to be a program to organize your photos, videos and music. I haven't installed it, and it would be better if they explained what it did rather than just expecting you to install it.

One thing they don't explain anywhere is how to use the device as an MP3 player, which IMO is more useful than the associated voice recorder. The sound through the supplied (earbud) earphones is very good, but I found to necessary to fit foam pads (not supplied) or they keep falling out of my ears. Foam pads also improve the sound.

Another thing not explained is how to set the date/time so the files don't all come out with a 01/01/2098 time stamp. I found an addendum on the manufacturer's website explaining this, but, briefly, you press Play just after you switch the unit on, when it says Setup, and you are taken to a screen enabling you to set the date, time and whether you want a date stamp on all the photos and videos (clock symbol).

It would be better if it had a slot for a memory card, so you could take more videos without having to return to base. Otherwise you might have to take a laptop on holiday to save all the videos. (The battery can be charged using a USB charger.)

Good: Ease of use and quality of videos and still pictures; MP3 player.

Bad: Documentation and lack of removable media.
on 18 February 2010
I was hopeful this item would be genuinely useful and so it is. I can take high definition videos as easily as blinking. I can then quickly transfer them to You Tube for family and friends to enjoy. The build quality is fine. It's best to ensure there is plenty of light when making your videos, but when outside in bright daylight you will struggle to see the small display screen. Despite this I would recommend this product as excellent value for money.
on 26 June 2014
The PenCam takes pretty good pics but the video recording needs practice. When using it outside it was very difficult to see the screen - the brighter the sun the blacker the screen got!
I got this camera because I thought it would suit me and my disability. I think I made a mistake as I've done better using my mobile phone.
If you're looking for a camera that is compact and will be used mainly indoors then this is for you, otherwise look elsewhere.
on 14 October 2014
Ridiculously easy to use. I generally spend hours, days even, fighting with online tutorials and emailing helplines, or cursing impotently at tiny screens which offer ten bewildering options and no obvious way of selecting any of them (my last camera did that) by which time I’ve pretty much gone off whatever the thing may be (i.e., my last camera...) But this comes out of the box, charges, switches on, takes incredible, pin sharp HD pictures and movies, in not particularly good light, with excellent zoom, and transfers them to my Mac effortlessly and without grief. (This is, basically, unheard of.) Perfectly hand-sized, light but sturdy-feeling, not nasty plasticky nonsense, and the only way they could make it easier to use is if they took the pictures for you. £25? Too good to be true. Except it is. Ace. (Not like my last camera.)
on 10 May 2014
Firstly the video quality is pretty good with a nice wide field of view good colours and well exposed images,it is also pretty well built with a very pleasing feel and came very well packaged,then why only 3 stars well its the 1 inch supposed oled screen, it is virtually useless tiny ok but dont take the image on the product blurb as any way accurate its rubbish with no defined image and outside NOTHING therefore guesswork is need to compose videos and while the previously mentioned wide field of view is a help it is far from ideal.
on 15 April 2014
What can I say for this camera, Just amazing functionality out of something so tiny and pocket friendly, The device is simple to setup and use, point and shoot functionality which personally i think is a more natural position, Ability to take still hd shots as well as hd video, built in mp3 player and voice recorder. The pictures are great quality and capture detail very well, The pictures upon play back on the display show a lack of quality and width but this is only because the screen is small and basic, Once you upload the pictures onto pc etc the full image is visible in 720 clear with a wider environment so do not worry if you think you did not capture the entire landscape. The memory is a little small only 4gb built in with no expandable memory but you will find 4gb can go along way and if you have access to a computer the device is easy to link via usb and drag on drop files instantly. The build quality is also great and very rugged and durable. I really don't think there are many better options for the price, Excellent product.
on 6 March 2013
The first results are far better than I expected. OK, I could have used my Galaxy phone but, with any long filming, the phone battery would have discharged to quickly. The PenCam is easy to hold and use.
on 17 April 2012
Brilliant product. Great price.Delivered in 3 days. Point and shoot. Idiot proof. Good internal storage 100 min. Smaller than we thought but ideal for holidays etc.
on 13 December 2012
Solid feel to the build yet light and compact (1 ½ cm x 3 cm x 12 ½ cm), easy to use, very acceptable quality of video, pictures and sound. Comes with all cables - including USB to allow recharging of the internal battery from a PC. Amazing value for a fine product. Very prompt order fulfilment by XSonly Limited: a no-hassle purchase.

It is an MP3 player too (though I have not yet used it as such) - which may not be clear from the product description. Note also video playback on the camcorder (the screen is small yet sufficient typically for preview at least) is accompanied by sound if the provided earphones are plugged-in.

Taking video outdoors the view on the display screen is sometimes hard to discern because of sunlight (although it is easy enough to point the lens in the required direction) and when indoors anywhere not well-lit can result in a dark picture but these limitations seem acceptable given the compact and inexpensive nature of the device.

The brief instruction manual deals well enough with the buttons/functions and is helpfully replicated by an Aiptek YouTube video @ [...]

The manual is silent about the mini CD that loads software to your PC and about the various cables. Note the USB cable (used for battery charging) is needed to download files from the camcorder to a PC for viewing via the MediaImpression software. (There is also QuickTime Player software - which seems to offer a variety of edit-like capabilities but at a charge for extra software downloads.)