4.0 out of 5 stars The joy of returning to an old favourite.
Published on 28 Jun 2011 by J. Clay

2.0 out of 5 stars Books do not have an individual percentage complete.
I like to be able to check reading progress. Preferably by page number but failing that percentage read will do. This collection only gives the percentage read of the whole collection - of little use really.
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The joy of returning to an old favourite., 28 Jun 2011
J. Clay (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chronicles of Barsetshire Collection (Six novels in one volume!) (Kindle Edition)
OK, I admit I was against the idea of the Kindle at first; after all it couldn't compete with a real book, could it? But after chatting to several enthusiastic owners (including an elderly gentleman in the garden centre, who ran out to the car to get his and demonstate it), I gave in. Oh, the joy of favourite stories at hand. I have spent many happy break times (supply teacher) immersed in the gentle world of Barsetshire and the problems of what to do about a few pounds owed or not owed. It is well laid out, easy to access and there is always the treat of the next book ready to hand - no luggage to carry!The story is as gripping as I recall from my teenage years, characters are real and it is easy to develop real liking or irritation with them. Well worth re-reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chronicles of Barsetshire, 13 Mar 2011
If you like Austen, you'll love Trollope and, at 70p, you can definitely afford to try his best loved volume of stories about Barsetshire. Witty and insightful of human nature!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Journey, 28 Nov 2011
Michael Raynor (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews
The Chronicles of Barsetshire was recommended to me by a friend and Trollope enthusiast who asked me if I had ever read The Warden. I said that I hadn't but would give it a go, having read very little 19th Century literature. Well....6 volumes later and I have to say what a great journey I have had reading all the novels. It is a wonderful world to be able to disappear into for a few chapters daily and to move out of the hectic 21st Century in which we all live now. I loved meeting all the various characters, some of whom stay for only one volume, whilst others appear in them all. I felt quite sad when I got to the end, but I recommend them highly if you want a really satisfying long read with an insight into 19th Century country life, with humour,love, tragedy and intrigue. Reading them on my kindle was also very handy as I travel around a great deal so it was very easy to carry 6 hefty volumes. Great!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle and very satisfying reading, 21 July 2011
I do like Trollope and think this edition is terrific value with six stories at just 0.70 - how can you lose! Similar worries as in Austen, but with more wit. I admit that a knowledge of the eclesiastical structures of England in the 1850s could be an advantage to the reader, but it's worth the effort to gain it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Kindle implementation, 27 Feb 2012
Ms. K. S. Brooks (London) - See all my reviews
No need to talk about the book - others have reviewed it better than I could. But it's worth saying this is a good Kindle edition - not full of typos. And there are decent links to each book within it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Kindle read!, 7 July 2012
Trollope's Chronicles of Barsetshire are a delicious read. His wit and sharp eye for the foibles of mid-1800s society are wickedly funny. His characters are timeless and so are the issues he tackles from media manipulation, political intrigue, social climbing, the significance of money to celebrity. A great collection of the six novels in one, and perfect in Kindle format for anyone like me, who travels all year round!

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say?, 10 May 2012
A. Rowley (England) - See all my reviews
E books are immediate delivery. I love my Kindle with light. I use it at night in rural Kenya. I love Trollope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and delicious, 24 Feb 2014
Great fun and wonderfully written. Love the names of characters (Quiverful, Slope, Bold). Broad hints about the state of contemporary society, the C of E and the civil service. Well drawn characters with whom one can sympathise, stories which explore the inequalities in society, the problem of human pride, all written such a light touch and of course usually with a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars An ageless classic, 22 Feb 2014
The book backs up my memories of the fantastic TV adaptation of.them. If you haven' t seen or read them, you have missed a classic

5.0 out of 5 stars Barsetshire Chronicles - everyone should give them a try, 13 Feb 2014
I hadn't quite expected to love this old favourite quite so much in kindle format.
It's lighthearted collection, easy to read, and easy to pick up and carry on where I last left off.
It's just perfect.