4.0 out of 5 stars Great for younger children
This is being posted on Christmas Day, on the day of its giving!

Published on 25 Dec 2009 by OEJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but the lighting needs to be just right
I'd been after a PS3 eye for a while and this seemed a good way of getting one as you got the game thrown in for good measure.

Published on 24 Oct 2009 by David Thorp

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for younger children, 25 Dec 2009
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)
This is being posted on Christmas Day, on the day of its giving!

So far, the game is an unqualified success. It has been played non-stop for six hours and I have little doubt that this will be the case for another six hours if not more. My children love it, perhaps more so my younger one - who is six years old - because although this is a video game, the appeal seems to be related more to its cuteness rather than the challenges it presents. It only takes a few minutes to get the hang of it. Personally I have hardly touched it, instead I have been an impressed viewer - but I think the accent is on 'impressiveness' rather than likeability. For an adult, the novelty is in the technology and the very clever way in which the on-screen 'pet' interacts with its master or mistress. I think this game should really be assessed from a child's point of view, not an adult's, but that is in no way meant to imply that it's silly or cute for cuteness' sake.

My younger child says that Eye-Pet is - and I quote - "Fantastic", "Superb", and even "The best game I've ever played!". On the television screen she sees herself playing with the pet, and she loves the interactivity, the trick that gives the impression that they are both playing together. However my one concern is this game's lastability, and whether it will still captivate and entertain in three, six or twelve months' time. We already have Little Big Planet which has proved just as enjoyable nearly a year down the line, and although it's very different (and more conventional) it does seem to be more versatile and to offer more in the way of a challenge, even to a young child. So I have no choice but to reserve judgement on Eye-Pet as a long-term investment because I do have a slight worry that its key novelties might wear off after a while, although this will inevitably differ from one child to the next.

It's difficult not to recommend it though. It's different, it enables children to inter-act in ways they haven't done before and will almost certainly enjoy instantly, it's easy for them to learn how to use, and it is likely to keep them quiet for hours on end (apart from all the 'oohs' and 'aahs'). If my children love it in six months' time as much as they very clearly do today (Christmas Day) then it will deserve a full 5-star thumbs-up.

**UPDATE**

It's nearly three weeks on from posting my review and I must say that this game has been a total success. It is being played every day with no sign of the children tiring of it. Their friends want to come round just so they can play it together. I have become even more impressed by its technical advances, so much so that I wonder if this could become a land-mark in video gaming, a turning point for the genre. It's an extraordinary achievement to combine such technological sophistication in something that can be understood and enjoyed by the youngest amongst us. It's taken something special to dislodge Little Big Planet (in this household, anyway!) but EyePet already seems years ahead in comparison. And that takes some doing.

**UPDATE 2** (Christmas 2010)

One year on and I still strongly recommend this game - my daughters and their friends still play it regularly, along with Little Big Planet. This has been one of the most-used video games I have purchased, it's without doubt excellent value for money, it will get heavily used and I can't see it doing any harm from a psychological point of view as there's no violence of any kind. An absolute must-buy even today, more than a year after its launch. I believe there's to be an 'EyePet 2' in the near future, if that's true then it's a nailed-on buy as far as I'm concerned. Incidentally, I'm not sure that the recent 'Move' version is necessary; can't convince myself that this particular game would benefit from the Move concept. The handy thing though, of course, is that when you buy EyePet you get the camera anyway, so no need to buy the full Move set, just the controller only. Personally I wouldn't bother, although for other more physical games, Move has strong appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars eyetoy, 21 Oct 2009
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)
Well I recieved the game and camera this morning as a supprise present for my 18 year old daughter. She loves it, the game and camera were simple to set up on my PS3. The tutorial was straight forward and easy to follow, the game is brilliant for all ages, even I was getting into it (i turned 42 last friday). Our little pet followed us and the camera working in real time, so no game lag. A few of my contacts have enquired via txt on PS3 what I thought about the game, and I give it a big thumbs up. I was a little apprehensive as I was not totally impressed with the PS2 version of the eyetoy games, being 2D. But this game is warm and in 3D. A bonus is the added trophy collection to the game. My only doubts are what Sony will charge for DLC (downloadable content), Little Big Planet has managed to balance it about 50/50 with free and payable content. Lets all hope in the current economic climate and Christmas upon us that Sony do us all a favour and give a load of DLC for free. Otherwise a lot of unhappy Christmas stockings will be empty of Sony products and full of Microsoft gifts instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VALUE & FUN. Great for all Ages, 25 Oct 2009
Mr. P. Crook - See all my reviews
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)
Me And my sister got this a a surprise present yesterday from our dad.

IT IS SO COOL!!!!! Really fun, a defenet buy if you love animals, pet games, or if you just like cute things.
I love feeding a washing my pet it really fun, the magic card makes it look like you have itens in your hands,My pet (Called oliver) looks real cute, (You can choose what you pet looks like)
, my sisters is called Jojo, she (Yes my sister made Jojo a she) Is really cute, she has short fur, long furry legs, a fluffy tail & a long fur tuff on her for-head, oh and she is light brown with little black splodges on her legs, very cute. It also cute when you draw somthing, show it to your pet and he/she tries and copys it, It is quite cool as well

Lots of challenges, lots of things to unlock. Plus its cheaper getting the game & Camera than game on its own on its own in some places.

So Get it NOW!!

Review by a 14 & a 16 year olds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic!, 3 Jun 2010
Jeff Carter (Newport Pagnell, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)
Let me say first of all that I purchased this as a birthday present for my grandson and he loves it. That's the bottom line.

However, for my own part, having been involved with the electronics industry in the days when valves were the norm and the last word in technology was the transistor radio, I like to know how things work. I have to see a chain of events and be able to say, "Ah, yes, I see, that's how it's done." But I am gobsmacked with the level of technology that is involved in the Eyepet and I have reached the conclusion that it is operated by some form of witchcraft. Although my grandson was sitting on an empty floor, the TV screen clearly shows him stroking, caressing and playing with ET and Lassie's love child. The creature is seen to respond to his actions and movements and, try as I may, I could not equate what I was seeing to any form of thermoinic valve or transistor theory. So I watched him using it for an hour or so, then I retired to bed with a nice cup of cocoa.

Now, I'm sure that there are people with wire-framed glasses and elbow patches on their jackets who will explain its operation at length in terms of and-gates and or-gates and other digital terms and I would nod sagely. They would probably tell me that there are better and more advanced games on the market that make the Eyepet look like TV ping pong but I don't care. My grandson likes it and I enjoy watching him with it.

But most of all, after many, many years in the darkness, once again, I believe in Magic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but the lighting needs to be just right, 24 Oct 2009
David Thorp (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)

The game itself works pretty well and you can see your room, yourself (or bits of you) and your pet (once you get it to hatch..... took me an age to get the rocking right). The game unlocks new content and games for your pet through a combination of challenge based unlocks and time based unlocks. It therefore is quite easy to reach a point where there is little to do until the following day. There are ways round this as it's based on your PS3's system clock

The huge problem for me is that some of the games challenges and the game itself don't work too well unless you have the lighting spot on. Too dark and you'll just see a grainy mess on the screen, too bright and it struggles to detect the location of the magic card which is used for some of the games interactions. Thankfully, sony have created an area for eyepet on their community forums, suggesting they have further plans for the game and users on these forums have found solutions for the lighting problem. One which I have yet to try involves positioning a table lamp directly below the camera with the lamp shade removed. Removing the lamps shade from our main light helped somewhat last night so I have reason to believe this may be successful in darker rooms.

On the subject of online, it seems there are plans for Sony to do it's usual charge you a small fortune to get a new hat that little big planet suffers from. At the moment there are only two DLC packs though at least one them is free. No doubt more will follow as you will be able to dress your pet up as characters from other games, creatures or santa just like in LBP.

Another problem is the game has a tutorial running through it. Tutorials are good, but the tutorial uses one line descriptions to describe what it wants you to do. These descriptions are not always clear and it can take some trial or error to achieve the desired effect. This is further compounded by the lighting problem above. Furthermore some of the challenges describe a scene it wants you to set up with your pet and/or you which you have to take a photo of. Whatever algorithms it uses to detect if the picture is correct and reward you for it need some tuning. Trying to get a picture of me and my pet would not work for love nor money yet when my partner tried it she had no problems. My guess is the facial recognition struggled with my facial hair (perhaps Gillette should sponsor the game)

The adverts for the game also suggest you can create new toys for the pet, and whilst this is true, the toys seem to be limited to basic types such as cars and planes. As for the cars whilst again this could be down to the lighting problem, but the cars my pet has created look little like cars. This could also be down to the fact that the pet gets better at drawing the more he does it.

Overall this is a pretty good concept for a game, is a bit of fun but suffers greatly from requiring perfect lighting in order to get the best from it

EDIT - Since posting the review, have played some more and finally managed to get the pet to create a car that actually looks like a car. Whether that is down to the pets drawing improving, the fact we had some bright sunshine yesterday which helped with the lighting, or a combination of the two I am unsure

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat fun if everything is set-up fine, 31 Oct 2009
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought Eyepet a few days ago, lured in by the idea of a cute interactive pet and the 25 bundle price tag.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I think. The game itself noticeably aimed at kids with how colourful everything is, along with the silly creepy professor - so to adults it may feel like one's brain is slowly melting.

Gameplay can be fun to those of any age, it consists of lots of little 'challenges'. Feed it, wash it, style it, draw toys for it, play minigames with it. You'll have to be the judge of whether this will appeal to you. The game breaks things down into a 15-day programme (an hour a day) so things stay fresh. After this you may wish to trade it in, as the pet interaction on its own, whilst cute, isn't exactly thrilling.

Be aware that if the camera isn't set up right things will prove tedious. It must be angled and positioned suitably in the right lighting. If not, you'll quickly get irritated with the camera poorly detecting the magic-card or trying to get you to physically move your magic-card into your floor to pick up cookies.

Also one may find themselves, every now and then, accidentally angling the card so the camera can't see it (especially kids) but you'll get used to it.

Provided the lighting/set-up is spot-on, the only area the game struggles is with drawings. You will actually need to pick up the camera, put the drawing on the floor, move the camera around until the borders all are green and hold it dead still for a few seconds.

The bundle is definitely a good buy if you're in need of a microphone for online play with other games, are looking to use EyeCreate to make videos (free off the PSN store) or need a webcam (it can be used with Windows via third-party drivers).

The quality of the webcam itself is excellent, at 640x480/30fps the capture is a little grainy, but there's no visible capture delay or movement blur. The audio clarity is also excellent - with my 5.1 system extremely loud it exhibited no clipping and sounded very 'full' - maybe due to the fact it has a '4 microphone array system'.

So anyway, I'm gonna give this a solid four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family fun, 5 Feb 2011
B. Cousins "The Eternal Noob" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this for my son after watching videos of it from the PSN nteowrk and I cannot be more pleased. The game is easy to play, it will explain everything via a Pet Care Center Doctor all you need to know as you progress. It is a fine adition to the playstation eye, you can buy new outfits and get some free ones from the PSN network, you will gain more as you progress through the "challenges" for the day, there are 15 days worth of challenges, with four challenges per day. You can gain medals for each one, Gold medal being the aim of course.
With your pet you can style his clothing, hair colour, hair length. You can as you progress play games with your pet e.g. bowling, feed him, give him a shower then you can scan your pet to see how healthy he is and send this off to the healthcare center and they will send you a "gift" at times. There are games that involve you creating vehicles for your pet e.g. a car, which the pet will ride on and you can direct him around the screen.
There is also trophy support for this game so if you are into that you will gain quite a few as you get one for each day of challenges passed plus others.
Also, a good thing is that if you have the Playstation Move, there is a free upgrade to the Move Edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Your kids will love it, 9 Jan 2010
M. Jones (North Cadbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)
Santa gave this to my 7 year old and between him and his 12 year old sister the PS3 has never had such a workout. Well done Sony on this game. It really does engage with the kids. Keeps them quiet(ish) and is amusing to watch. Plus the kids tidy the room before each game play. Now only if Sony could come up with a game that would encourage the kids to clean their rooms, get ready for school on time and go to bed early!

If I was going to crticise anything it would be the sometimes sluggish nature of the response of feedback when using hand gestures and the grainy quality of the camera image. But I think that's a Dad talking rather than a noticeable criticism from the kids.

Definetely worth buying!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to Have, 5 Jan 2010
SC (Portugal) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)
I was offered with this game. I wouldn't buy it myself based on demo presentation.
I was positively surprised with the game, though still aprehensive to have at home for my kids this virtual pet. Kids nurishing the "air" of the living room as they were doing to a real animal, makes me scared. I love PS games, don't get me wrong, but with these type of children games we are getting into "another level" and I'm not sure I want my kids there at their age (6&9). I want them to be in real life and relate to real people and living things.
The game it self:
a) too much contrast of pet brighteness vs living room lightning. Room looks too blur & dark. If I put on more lights it does not help at all.
b) too many levels blocked. Kids are frustrated and want to play more levels and games with the pet.
c) feeding the cookies to the pet is a bit funny. It looks cookies have the Moon gravity. Difficult to manage them. They do not feel real.
d) Shower & shampoo are nice
e) puting the pet to sleep is hard time. I wish I could understand the trick. This part looks like the real thing...:-)
f) I miss in the game more activities with the pet like trouwing the ball, tickeling & laughing, pushing a leg and dragging the pet, imitating, roll and play dead, give me 5, all kind of friendly activities we would do will a real one.

4.0 out of 5 stars EyePet, 3 Jan 2010
G. Armstrong (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) (Video Game)
Bought for my daughter (6) - honest its not for me! Took quite a long time to get it set up correctly. Fortunately I tried to get it all set up prior to her opening it for her birthday - as I think she would have lost interest waiting for me to set it up!!
That said - once you have it right - its a great little game - and certainly different to anything else she plays with. It would probably be better for children a little bit older as there are quite a few instructions to follow - and currently requires me to be on hand to help her...
The novelty factor alone makes it worth it for the price - I think as we get to play it more - there will be more things you can do with your eyepet - so it'll keep everyone entertained for a while.

Overall worth having - I'd give it a 7 out of 10!

EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3)
EyePet - Includes PlayStation Eye (PS3) by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
6.50