5.0 out of 5 stars Poser 8: A Critical Review From a Newbie.
*Criteria for reviewing
**Overview
*** Practice! Practice! Practice!
****Uses

*I am absolutely brand new to 3D animation. Not a clue! And, with the exception of
watching the behind-the-scenes on my special-edition d.v.d's, I wouldn't have the foggiest
idea of what was involved in creating 3D animation. With that said, I am also unable...
Published on 12 Oct 2009 by Andre Lawrence

2.0 out of 5 stars going backward
Published on 2 Nov 2009 by Mr. Anthony T. James

5.0 out of 5 stars Poser 8: A Critical Review From a Newbie., 12 Oct 2009
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
*Criteria for reviewing
**Overview
*** Practice! Practice! Practice!
****Uses

idea of what was involved in creating 3D animation. With that said, I am also unable to
provide any objective information as it pertains to updates for this fine product. What I
can offer is a critique from the standpoint of a fine artist/ illustrationist for 30+ years and a
graphic artist for the past 7. I'm currently working with Adobe CS3 on the OSX platform.

**Some things to be aware of before you go any further.

1. You'll need 4.5 GB of free space just for installation and you'll need at least 1
GB of memory.
2. There is a high learning curve required here. The printed material only shows
pictures of what can be done. You may want to familiarize yourself with some
of the tutorials that are available on line from Youtube and Google's general
video search engine before buying any 3rd party material to come up to speed.
3. I downloaded several excellent and free tutorials from eHow. The only problem is that most are only 2 minutes long and that's with the 3-second header.
So, I gathered all of the related videos, shaved off the 3-second headers put them
into iMovie, compressed and exported them as a .mov file. This restored the
original tutorial sessions.

***The Poser Interface. For a program that has more controls and tabs than Photoshop,
the interface is remarkably uncluttered. But, as I mentioned before there is a steep learning
curve. On top, you have the header which consists of the different parts of the body that
can be manipulated from a full body, "Pose," to Materials, to Face, to Hair, to Cloth and a
Setup bar. Going counter clockwise, there a 12-button Editing Tool section. Camera
Controls (which I loved, as much as the Lighting Control below it.) Light Controls,
Document display, Play and Frame Count section. Chest and the Library-Search-Favorites
bar. In the center is the Camera Angle (or the viewing screen.)

The default setting is a skeletal figure and each part can be adjusted to move in the exact
way a normal body part moves by its joint. When one engages for example, the upper
arm, a fine red line appears just over the bone segment and joint. Keeping the cursor on
the highlighted area allows you to move the arm from left to right or up and down. If you
wanted to move the arm either to the back of the torso, you have to engage the torso tilt it
in that direction then re-engage the upper arm to the desired position. What I noticed is
that the body cannot move in a "typically" unnatural position (no offense to
contortionists!).

Another project I found interesting was the Face department. Poser comes with a set of
stock characters and clothing (and from on-line sites, there seems to be a plethora of fans
who create clothes and whatnot for them.) But you may also create your own person. A
process called "mapping" accomplishes this. Mapping is essentially a dual screen where
one uploads a high resolution, front profile and through a process of aligning "points" to a
parallel sketch the photograph is made to wrap around a modeled head giving it a animated
look. The entire body can be made to be adjusted the same way.
I spent the better part of two (2) hours going back and forth on the face. It is a fun and funny
process, but it will take awhile until you can get the hang of it.

****I can see many uses for this program. As the company suggests, graphic and web
design, fine art and illustration, storyboarding, and creative business presentations. I can
also add, YouTube skits, birthday or celebratory greetings, or an educational
demonstration.

Once you get the hang of it, it seems that you're only limited by your creative imagination.

2.0 out of 5 stars going backward, 2 Nov 2009
This review is from: Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
i have used every version of poser since version 4. i down loaded this version the day it was released direct from smiths. i found the interface and library so poor that i have switched back to poser 7 and use advanced library which can be downloaded on the net free of charge. if you are a first time user go to daz and renderosity where you can download just about any item you want much of it free. for all my comments its still a great program, but you will need a lot of patience to get good results.

5.0 out of 5 stars fits the bill - near perfrect, 12 April 2011
K. Bell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Last year I set myself the challenge to find a computer program whereby i can simply manipulate a computerised mannequin at any humanly possible pose and view at any angle. Poser not only fits does this for me but has a light feature which for me it really went the extra mile. Personally I don't want to become a super user and know every feature of the program I wish to use it for the purpose it was created; to assist artists/illustrators by not having to calculate anatomy using a constant stream of sketch thumbnails nor reference a live model and it does this with ease after investing only a small amount of time in getting use to the initial features.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad!, 21 Dec 2009
This review is from: Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I have Poser 4, 5, 6, 7 and now 8. (All except the last are good!!) I could not wait to install Poser 8, it was supposed to be better and faster than Poser 7, it took a few hours to install (due to it trying to install twice but not letting me know) the library is completely off putting, not only in size but also in the way it is displayed (the size is supposedly to be fixed in a future update) (I installed the first update as soon as Poser 8 installed succesfully on my machine, which says something about how hard the initial release was really tested :( )

I setup a scene with reflections in Poser 7, saved as a .pz3, loaded the needed runtimes in Poser 8, loaded the .pz3 into Poser 8 and set off the render.... Poser 8 crashed and dissapeared! I tried 3 times with the same result, in the end I gave up and went back to Poser 7 and just waited it out! I had 4GB Ram at the time. I now have 8GB but must admit I have not tried Poser 8 since and have stuck with 7 which works wonderfully well for what I need/want!

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this seller, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
all was perfect, quick and without troubles. The product is all that i wanted. I really recommend this seller to all people.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Windows 8.1, 6 Jan 2014
Philip Revell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
There are lots of variation between the different poser packs. Reading the reviews reveals the incredible range of experiences people have with this software. Well, poser 8.... I've found that this is not compatible with Windows 8.1. Reviewers suggest that it will work with Windows 8. Until an upgrade appears, not a good buy for Windows 8.1 users. Maybe I'll stick with Daz (which is free).

2.0 out of 5 stars Questionable product reliability, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I am bordering on suggesting this product is not fit for purpose and I am certainly very pleased I didn't buy a later more expensive version of it.

In my opinion, retailed software products should be reliable and not full of bugs or prone to mindbogglingly frustrating very frequent crashes. How on earth can a software product be sold that does not perform with decent reliability. It's as though this product has been thrown together by some backroom geniuses who think its ok for it to crash and its ok that things dont work and that its ok to be miserably amateur. It's not ok... The instruction manuals are woefully inadequate and it points to an endemic attitude problem that may pervade all of this maker's product for all I know. They want to sell you the real instructions that are useful. Why not just make certain their buyers get the best out their purchase so they become hooked quickly and a true fan?

There is no doubt that some wonderful things can be made with Poser, but I don't think they care enough about customers to make the capabilities of the product available to all of the owners and buyers. It is not difficult to create a simple animation,,, that works in preview,,, but rendering often crashes and takes hours. If a customer happens to have two computers, one needs an additional seat license if you want to make use of the software while it's struggling to perform its duties on one machine.. Why should one person have to buy another seat just to try and keep some workflow going while poser makes your pc redundant and useless for sometimes-hours as it tries to render not even a minute of finished material. Why should anyone have to pay twice for Poser's totally inadequate commitment to software quality or reliability?

So I am very disappointed and I wont be investing in a later version. I have ordered another of their products Anime to see if that's any good at 2d stuff... Meanwhile I'll try Daz for 3D... Fingers crossed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Bought this for my daughter as she has an interest in this creative design. She's really happy whith it!
Easy clips on utube show and help to create more fascinating creations!
Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product which is worth the learning curve., 7 July 2013
This review is from: Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Poser is a big product with a steep learning curve. The one product which you can write War-and-Peace review about. I won't though. Thankfully there is loads of video and written tutorial help on the internet. Both official and unofficial. The printed booklet is only the skimpiest piece of cold starter help.

The best thing about the product is the Amazon price. The discount makes it worthwhile to try and then maybe upgrade if it is a success. I only like the product for the figures. Backgrounds are better achieved elsewhere and then blended via a paint package. Very easy to do do via the transparent layers process (if you know what that is.)

Since being released various bugs have been fixed so go to the main website and download the upgrades and patches. You might get a few crashes without it. Easy and automated. What is better is that loads of third party content is available at low prices if you don't want to create from scratch.

If you are an artist or have artist ambitions Poser is almost a must try. Even if you later reject it. Creativity you have to add yourself, naturally...

1.0 out of 5 stars Far Far Too Slow, 15 Mar 2010
Biff - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Each update to Poser seems to get worse.

Poser 8 is unbelievably slow in operation and it simply feels far too clunky. Simple operations such as turning morphing dials become a challenge and are far too unresponsive. I use windows 7 64bit with 4gb ram so there really is no excuse for such poor performance.

It does have quite a steep learning curve but I found that the software was just too unresponsive and frustrating to perserve with.

Go back to Poser 6 - it had its problems but was certainly more usable than this version.

Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac)
Poser 8 (Hybrid) (PC/Mac) by Smith Micro Software (Mac OS X, Windows Vista / XP)
Used & New from: 55.99