1,000 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent speakers
Published on 15 Feb. 2010 by C. Edmond

Hindsight is good foresight I guess but I did not review the 1 star reviews which seem to have the repeated problem (faulty right hand speaker)that I have here.
Published 4 months ago by paul healy

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent speakers, 15 Feb. 2010
C. Edmond "Deemy" (Oxford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
I did a lot of research before purchasing these speakers. I was tempted by the Logitech LS21 because of the price (my friend has them and I know that they are extremely good value for money) but since it was my birthday I thought I would spend a bit more and I was not disappointed. The sound is very clear and they can make a huge amount of noise. One warning would be that the bass can be very loud - stuff rattles in the room when the subwoofer is on max - but it is perfect for normal listening and can be turned off completely if you are worried about noise complaints etc.
Overall I would thoroughly recommend these speakers, excellent for a cheap to mid range purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech 2.1 Speakers Review, 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
For the price, these speakers are a bargain.

Features: Design is a 2.1 (2 desktop speakers + 1 bass/subwoofer). The addition of a input socket on the speaker to connect an MP3 headphone socket (3.5mm, no lead supplied) connection is a nice touch. Additionally, you get the 2 x RCA phone sockets on the subwoofer for external audio input. Volume level on subwoofer (on top of the overall volume level) helps control the likelihood of a 'boom, boom, boom' type situation, and the degree to how far the bass sound travels around the house!

Wiring is simple - mains to subwoofer, one lead from subwoofer to each desktop speaker. The subwoofer is downward firing (doesn't matter bass sound is omnidirectional), and its ported (has a hole at the front to improve the movement of the air / increase the bass - put your hand in front to feel the air moving). The 2 desktop speakers have similar ports on each speaker.

One word of caution, these ports will be nice places for 'little-ones' to use, so beware. Also, the speaker drivers themselves don't have any kind of grills/covers, so again little fingers could easily mess with the drivers and damage them - the drivers are mainly made of stiff paper; that's how most speakers work!

The desktop speakers have a rear firing speaker, in addition to the front speaker driver and the port at the front. Therefore, be careful with positioning - they need to be against a wall/flat surface to reflect the sound out to the front be heard at their best - but most people would position them in this way.

Soundwise: very good for the price, there is a definite 'sweet spot' for the best treble to be heard, but due to the design, this would be in a good position for normal use in front of speakers viewing/gaming. They aren't house shaking, but enough to shake a single room at a time - may struggle with enough power for a house party, but they'll go a long way to fill one room with sounds.

Appearance wise: desktop speakers are 'piano black' which goes nicely with most monitors/TV's. Hide the subwoofer wherever under the desk. Also excellent use for second speakers for bedroom DVD / TV / x-box / playstation etc, or even to take in the car for a hotel room/weekend away (as long as you have access to mains power of course!). Forget your small laptop speakers, these will add a degree of treble and bass that you can't get from built in speakers. Good product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hindsight is good foresight I guess but I did not review the ..., 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
What occurred after I had set it up was that the right hand side speaker kicked into life for a few minutes and then proceeded to stop, Never to come back again after repeated attempts at power cycling the sub-woofer and reseating cables from Speaker.
I have also tried it with my phone and mp3 players stereo jacks, with same result .
For PC speakers they seem to be good value for money but reliability seems to be a serious issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars So powerful I think I'll never use that much!, 28 Feb. 2010
L Rosa - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
This product is fabulous. It is so powerful that I never tried the higher volume and I have music in my entire room. And for the value I really recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for price and size. Ideal for students, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
I bought these to take university and they are yet to disappoint. For it's size the subwoofer is very powerful although it is worth noting that if you like your bass crisp you will need to play around with the EQ on an ipod and the bass volume setting to reduce the 'woofiness' of the bass. However for the price and the fact that the subwoofer is very compact you cannot expect any less warbling, but yes, it is there. 5 star is perfection, this minor flaw is the only reason I gave them a 4.
Their simple and slick profile means that they look good on your desk too.
The big question all students want answered is "can they entertain a kitchen full of pre-drinkers?"
Yes. With ease. At a higher volume the higher frequencies can stand out a bit but this, as mentioned before, can also be easily rectified by fiddling with the EQ setting on an iPod.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sub-woofer makes R-A-T-T-L-I-N-G noise, on BOTH units I tried., 27 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
Let me start my review by explicitly stating that I am not an "audiophile". I can certainly distinguish "good" sound from "not-so-good" sound, but I don't give consideration at any length to various frequency ranges and how well sound systems represent them. It's fine if that's your thing (everybody needs a hobby), but my point is I'm far from an expert in the field.

Secondly, I'm also not someone who expects the world's best speakers for a mere £30. However, like many, I bought these speakers because they seemingly provided excellent value for money (especially for the low, LOW price of £27-99 I managed to grab them at) and because of the strength of the Logitech name (whom I own and have owned many peripherals from, such as mice and headsets).

With that caveat out of the way... whether a speaker system cost £30 or £300, it's not unreasonable to expect the sub-woofer to not to start to make a very noticeable rattling sound when playing back certain bass frequencies, past a certain volume level. In my case, playing back a typical hip-hop song with windows volume set to 50%, and the speaker volume dial set to 50% (bass dial set to 50%), which IMO isn't that loud, resulted in a VERY NOTICEABLE rattling sound coming from the sub-woofer, which could be heard along with the music. If I turned the volume up higher, the RATTLING GOT LOUDER and could still be heard! I initially thought perhaps my floorboards/table were shaking, but holding the sub-woofer in my hands made no difference. As far as I could tell, nothing was loose on the outside of the sub-woofer, nor loose inside.

A quick Google and I found a few other people out there complaining of the same thing.

I'm someone who gives people and companies the benefit of the doubt, and realise that sometimes things go wrong, and perhaps something got shaken about a bit too hard in transit or maybe I just got a slightly "wonky" set. So, I arranged an exchange with Amazon (whom to their credit sent out another one IN SUPER QUICK TIME, TY!)... new speaker system arrived... EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

Hence, I'm left to conclude that the sub-woofer rattling problem is not just unique to a handful of unlucky customers. However, since there are so many positive reviews for these speakers here at Amazon, and no one I can see has complained of the same problem (at least here at Amazon), perhaps the problem applies only to newer, more recent production models. Perhaps a quality control issue then. Whatever the cause, even for the bargain price of £30, I think such an issue is pretty unacceptable, and on that basis must score this Logitech speaker system 1/5.

Incidentally the speakers themselves I thought were pretty great - certainly sounded much cleaner/clearer than my old Labtec set-up. I do wish the drums had grills over the tops though. But in any case, great speakers or not, it doesn't much matter when the sub-woofer keeps on rattling! :(

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
Overall frequency response is very poor. Lacking in high and mid range frequencies. Also, the bass unit is atrocious. Booms and bangs even at low setting. The connection leads are too short and the type of leads used are clumsy and illogical..

2.0 out of 5 stars Plasticky, 12 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
The plasticky look of those speakers seems to translate directly into the sound.

Yes, they are loud.
Yes, the bass could drive your family, flatmates or neighbours insane.
Yes, they are pretty cheap.

But my previous speakers had soul. I used to own the Logitech X-230 (now defunct), similar if somewhat higher price range, from what I remember. Seeing the Z323s on Amazon - with their good ratings - I naturally assumed they would be the perfect replacement and had not the slightest doubt about making a good purchase when hitting "checkout".

Upon unboxing them, I thought "hmm ... plastic" (yes, you can see the satellite units are plastic from the picture on Amazon, but they look cheaper in real life). Still, I had high hopes when plugging them in.

So then came the moment of truth. They were plugged into the exact same computer with the exact same audio settings as my old X-230s, and boy was the first test disappointing. Used on a youtube video of Metallica's Enter Sandman, I first assumed the clip was poor quality, so I tried my other main source of music I use them with ... the music website lastfm. The sound was slightly better, but still disappointing. I stepped things up another notch in terms of sound file quality and played some music from a couple of CDs via winamp. This gave the best quality of sound, but was still a let down from the previous speakers.

Now to come to the actual problems I have with their sound.

First of all, they sound like desktop speakers, whereas the X-230s sounded like proper speakers. The Z232s are very sharp, so that you can hear the imperfections of compressed sound files. The mids are pretty much absent from the sound spectrum, and you can only salvage them to some extent if you play your music from a media player with an equalizer (such as Winamp). The one thing those speakers cannot be faulted for is the bass, which is powerful and can be easily adjusted from the back of the subwoofer unit.
Second, I listen to music mainly via the web and love all sorts of musical genres (rock, blues, metal, jazz, world, dub, you name it). So once I manage to find one setting that works e.g. for a jazz track, it may not work that well for a dub track. One reviewer here mentioned the need to frequently adjust the EQ settings, and I would tend to agree, especially if you're into various musical genres and listen to them in heavy rotation.
Third, and this is something which may be inherent in the speakers' design (they have a membrane on the back). The sound seems slightly better (i.e. mildly fuller and less piercing) if you turn them outwards and as far away as possible from where you sit at your desk, but getting something decent out of these speakers simply takes too much work.

Again, I played around with my computer's sound settings, the EQ, various sound files/sources and I don't even think this is a faulty unit. Bottom line is: They are plastic, plain and simple. The X-230s satellites were made from plywood, and this is probably one of the factors that put them in a higher league, as they were perfectly capable of coping with anything you threw at them - youtube videos, streamed music, .wav files, games, videos *without* having to play around with the sound settings.

So in conclusion?

They aren't really for me for the above reasons, and I would not buy them again, but you get what you pay for (especially when you impulse buy). The pluses were the price and the oomph (in terms of power and bass), but I definitely would not recommend them to music lovers with a similar useage to mine.

3.0 out of 5 stars All round OK - Not great sound quality, 9 May 2014
Mr. R. Mills (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
Had these a couple of months now, pretty good for gaming but not the best for music / watching films.
Very bass heavy, low treble (without playing around too much)
pretty good for price though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of top end frequencies, 4 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Logitech Z323 Speaker System (Electronics)
The subwoofer kicks out plenty of bass for a small to mid sized room and the volume control on it is essential. The weird bit is the main satellite speakers. They have 360 degree sound - out the front comes loads of mids, but very little top end. I discovered that all the top end comes out the back of the speakers! So I have the speakers facing the wall so the mids bounce back into the room but still get the presence of the top end. If it's the other way round the mid range is so dominating the top end is completely lost, making everything really muffled. Cheap, but not great really.

Logitech Z323 Speaker System