on 6 February 2010
I've never done a review before but felt it was my public duty because I couldn't find a review of this vacuum cleaner when I wanted to know if I should buy it. I chose this over the 1800w because this was the only one available in store and I needed one quickly. The higher the wattage the better I guess? My lovely 12 year old electrolux has retired although it did try and convince me it's still up to the job every time I changed the filters. The research I've done and the fact that I clean for a living using lots of different vacuum cleaners led me to this one. It's easy to empty, just take the dust bin off the front while pressing one button and then press another button to empty it over the wheelie bin. What would be the point having super filters and then breathing it all in when cleaning it out? The round disc at the front of the dust bin works well to enable you to just stick your hand in once to unblock. I refused to get one with a filter inside the dust bin cos they are a nightmare to empty and the dysons have holes round the bit inside the dust bin so they're almost as bad. If you don't clean them, dysons do lose their suction! I've used the dyson ball and get arm ache each time because you're trying to steer as well as push. The cylinder vacs get left behind in the next room, but that's just down to personal preference....

What I like about this vacuum cleaner:

The pet claw is good for the stairs and does get up dog hairs. Call me lazy but the cable is long enough to do my whole two up, two down house from one socket! It's so powerful, I have it on the highest setting except for hard floor and on the low setting it picks up everything on hard floors. It's not as heavy as some like the electrolux red pet thing I looked at, although I wouldn't call it light either. I enquired about the two filters before buying and they are reasonable, (about £5 each for the 1800w, they maybe the same for the 2000w? I need to enquire again!) but shouldn't need changing often. One of the filters is washable. The tools and pipe are neat on the back and there's none of this 'pulling the handle out and taking the pole out of the pipe before you can vac the stairs' business, you get with a dyson! The dust bin is huge. There are two settings: you can press the foot release pedal once to push it along and again to get it really low under furniture. There's a cord rewind and even a place to park your plug! The pet dyson equivalent is about £300!

What I don't like about this vacuum cleaner:

The roller on the front seems a bit of a waste of time. It doesn't seem to move much whatever height setting you have it on and you have to get the roller behind it to do the work therefore it's not going to work up to the front edges so well. Maybe my carpet isn't a high enough pile? It maybe just because it's new but the pipe on the back doesn't give lots, so the cleaner follows you around rather close while you're using the pipe! The wire comes out of the machine quite low down so you have to take care not to run over the wire. There is a clip at the top that looks like it should hold the wire up but it doesn't stay in it. This is a minor complaint and I'm struggling to find fault with it at the moment. I've found I have to use the highest setting for mats/rugs and haven't been brave enough to use it on the shaggy rug!

I wouldn't change it, I hope it continues to impress. I'm a tough customer and would recommend this cleaner.

2013 update: I hope I haven't tempted fate by typing this but the suction remains as good as new. I'm pleased I bought it.
on 26 May 2010
I very impressed with service from amazon placed order on the 24/05/2010 and received item on the 26/05/2010.

Very impressed with build quality of the product, and it makes easy work of pet hair and the five year warranty with this product.