5.0 out of 5 stars Don'T Miss This One !!!, 10 Oct 2009
Robin M. Hunter (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steal Away-The Early Recordings (Audio CD)
Having known about ' Steal Away ' for several years but never having heard it I was keen to listen to it and other tracks recorded by this mostly overlooked soul artist. Was I disappointed - no, sir the exact opposite ! What a great singer and a superb selection of songs on this terrific cd - and there's more to come - a second cd including all his remaining recordings is due to be released in 2010 - can't wait ! If you like southern soul music then even if you haven't heard of Jimmy, just buy it - you'll be glad you did !

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 29 April 2014
Amazon Customer "traceyann" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Steal Away-The Early Recordings (Audio CD)
I really don’t like the track ‘Steal away’, so get ready for a sweeping generalisation – I don’t like Deep, Southern Soul music – it’s slow and boring. Having said that there are many tracks by James Carr, Garnet Mimms, Solomon Burke that I love, I adore Arthur Alexander and own all available cd’s. So why did I buy this, I went on the ‘Ace’ records web site and played the samples and fell in love with the majority of these Jimmy Hughes tracks. There is a wide range of styles here, many are mid tempo tracks, some sound like Arthur Alexander, many have great lyrics like ‘I’m getting better’. The first 12 tracks are the original album which has 4 great tracks on it. As for the bonus tracks – ‘My loving time’, ‘Lollipops…’, ‘You might as well forget him’, ‘Goodbye my lover…’, ‘You really know how to hurt a guy’ and ‘Have you done got over me’ are simply fantastic. I haven’t stop playing this cd, overall, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: Steal Away-The Early Recordings (Audio CD)
very nice music. I knew Jimmy Hughes for spare tracks in compilations, and I loved his voice - rich emotion. Now I have got a full CD of his early work, where he's already givng the best of himself. Magnificent music!

Steal Away-The Early Recordings
Steal Away-The Early Recordings by Jimmy Hughes (Audio CD - 2009)