Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 October 2009
Having known about ' Steal Away ' for several years but never having heard it I was keen to listen to it and other tracks recorded by this mostly overlooked soul artist. Was I disappointed - no, sir the exact opposite ! What a great singer and a superb selection of songs on this terrific cd - and there's more to come - a second cd including all his remaining recordings is due to be released in 2010 - can't wait ! If you like southern soul music then even if you haven't heard of Jimmy, just buy it - you'll be glad you did !
I really don’t like the track ‘Steal away’, so why did I buy this cd. I went on the ‘Ace’ records web site and played the samples and fell in love with the majority of these Jimmy Hughes tracks. There is a wide range of styles here, many are mid tempo tracks, some sound like Arthur Alexander with a country/soul vibe, many have great lyrics like ‘I’m getting better’. The first 12 tracks are the original album which has 4 great tracks on it - 'I'm gonna rise again' and 'I'm getting better' to name a couple. As for the bonus tracks – ‘My loving time’, ‘Lollipops, lace and lipstick’, ‘You might as well forget him’, ‘Goodbye my lover…’, ‘You really know how to hurt a guy’ and ‘Have you done got over me’ are all simply fantastic. The 16 page booklet is nicely done and very informative. Sound quality is great with all tracks in Mono. I haven’t stop playing this cd, overall, I highly recommend it. 9/10.
on 30 October 2009
very nice music. I knew Jimmy Hughes for spare tracks in compilations, and I loved his voice - rich emotion. Now I have got a full CD of his early work, where he's already givng the best of himself. Magnificent music!