5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant comeback of Prefab Sprout!
Having already written a positive review of this glowing album on its mp3 page here on Amazon, of course I need to review the actual CD album! Mp3s are okay, but nothing beats the real McCoy of a proper CD with music in high resolution!

Prefab Sprout's legendary album "Let's Change the World With Music" was first written and recorded in demo form back in...
Published on 26 Aug 2009 by Rivermoving

3.0 out of 5 stars Four things missing...
It's great to get a new LP from Prefab Sprout. It's even better to get one that is better than 'The Gunman' but it's not really a Prefab LP - it's a set of well produced Paddy McAloon demoes. Or at least, it might as well be.

Paddy's brilliant solo LP 'I Trawl The Megahertz' was one of the musical highlights of the past decade; strange, affecting and...
Published on 22 Sep 2009 by T. Hooper

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars every bit as good, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Let's Change The World With Music (Audio CD)
In recent years it's not been unusual for an 80s band to stage a come-back with a so-so, never-as-good-as-their-previous-stuff, recording. But this is every bit as good as Prefab's Sprout's classic recordings. That alone should be recommendation enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars The message gets in the way, 4 Nov 2009
M. Oxby "victheviking" (Messingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Change The World With Music (Audio CD)
Anything by Prefab Sprout/Paddy McAloon is worth listening to, but this falls short. I've always liked Paddy's subtle use of his personal religious beliefs in his work,it comes across as life-affirming rather than preachy. However, he's gone preachy on us here and I don't like being preached to. It's like being hit over the head with a blunt instrument - just too much overkill on the religious stuff. Still a lovely sound though. Can we go back to life-affirming now?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab Prefab Sprout, 29 Oct 2009
Kev Switz "Kev" (Southampton, U.K.) - See all my reviews
If you liked Prefab Sprout back in the 70's and 80's you'll love this!
Welcome back.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE MUSIC.....PREFAB SPROUT MUSIC!, 1 Oct 2009
B. Mehmet "birol40" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Change The World With Music (Audio CD)
Possibly the most under-rated British band of the 80s and 90s, Prefab Sprout penned and delivered clever catchy pop songs that you wanted to hear again and again. And here we are the first album from the group in eight years and if ever evidence was needed that Prefab still have the magic then just listen to Let's Change the World with Music. Every track is classic Prefab Sprout. If you've had a hard day, slip this into your CD player and the let the music lift your spirits. There's a track called I Love Music; well, I love Prefab Sprout music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Music from the heart, 18 Sep 2009
T. Myers (Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Change The World With Music (Audio CD)
An album out of the archives - well worth the wait. Scary to think we almost missed out on this one forever. Only Paddy can write music like this. He is clearly less interested in being a pop star than he is in writing what is really in his heart. Thus, the music speaks to the listener personally. He is a master.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Jan 2010
Nick Jones (Leicester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Change The World With Music (Audio CD)
Looks like I'm going to be out of step with the rest of these reviews, but after a couple of listens, there is just nothing to grab me in these songs. Repeated themes (music is a Good Thing,wistful yearning after God) but little of the dazzling lyrical conceits and Thomas Dolby arrangements that made the early Sprout albums such a joy. Oh - one exception - I love the way he sings 'Gatsby, step aside'!

Nice enough arrangements, and thankfully minus the tub-thumping drum sound that can make the earlier efforts a bit tiresome, but that's not really enough to sustain an album.

I didn't enjoy 'Andromeda Heights much - I should have learned my lesson!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utter brilliance, 21 Nov 2011
This review is from: Let's Change The World With Music (Audio CD)
Like several others who have posted reviews, this is a record I can't stop thinking about or listening to. Superlative stuff from Mr McAloon, I so look forward to the next record. Come on Kitchenware Records, 4 years between releases is a long time in pop!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: Let's Change The World With Music (Audio CD)
Perfect in every sense. Only one little drawback. It didn't arrive with the plastic wrapping around the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, 29 Dec 2009
R. Distefano (NYC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Change The World With Music (Audio CD)
Although I would enjoy this that much more if Paddy hadn't reached for the obvious jesus claptrap, I can't say enough good things about this record. I hope it's the first of many escapees from the vault of unreleased Prefab work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in demos, 22 Feb 2012
E. Hoskin "The EdVenture" (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Change The World With Music (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of the Sprout and Paddy (up until he became all too happy twinkly later on...), but this album on first/2nd/3rd listen is a real disappointment. I was excited by the prospect of hearing these songs as Jordan was a great (if maybe not their best) album.

For me, the problem is - as the BBC review says - the Dolby/band process is missing and with Prefab Sprout, the production/arrangement means a LOT. Thomas Dolby was at his best producing PS; listening to them on headphones is a real audio pleasure.

WARNING FOR DRUMMERS/MUSICIANS:.. The programmed drums are absolutely terrible: dumb, juvenile, cheesy, .. just awful. As a drummer, personally I can't take the music seriously after hearing that. The pianos aren't much better, and the lack of female backing vox is a shame too.

I am going to try and focus on the lyrical content... but I wish either; he'd done all the songs on an acoustic, or got me ;) to record the drum tracks.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Let's Change The World With Music
Let's Change The World With Music by Prefab Sprout (Audio CD - 2009)