5.0 out of 5 stars Immense!
I'll tell you what, Gwen, this omelette...erm, no....that's not right. Start again. This boxset is immense!:)

Published on 9 Dec. 2009 by Bertie Buggerington

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy watching
I'm watching them doing my daily gym. Not very deep and a bit corny in my opinion but okay if you just expect something light and easy to watch.
Published 15 months ago by V.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense!, 9 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD] (DVD)

All three series, and the 2008 Christmas special, of the best, wittiest, most charming and romantic British sitcom ever made (in my humble opinion). Six million viewers can't be wrong. It is totally deserving of the awards and nominations it has picked up along the way, not limited to TWO Baftas (Audience Award and Best Comedy Performance for James Corden). So often a show can find itself overrated and over-hyped, but I honestly don't think Gavin & Stacey has been. Not one bit. I think it is all they say it is...and more.

For me the comedy comes from those around the two leads. Gavin and Stacey are very much foils for the crazy and lovable friends and families who provide the comedic elements. Rob Brydon's 'Uncle Bryn', Stacey's uncle, is just so funny it is untrue. While James Corden's 'Smithy', Gavin's best mate, is also hilarious. The dry 'Nessa', Stacey's best friend (played by Corden's co-writer Rush Jones) has to be seen to be believed. However, all the characters are funny...and I feel awful singling anyone out for individual credit. I'm struggling to find the words to describe in what way these characters are funny....I simply can't. It just has to be experienced. All I can say is that like 'The Royle Family', a lot of the comedy comes from mundane, every day conversations. And although it can be saucy and racy, I honestly can't remember a single expletive being uttered throughout the series. Certainly not the bad swear words anyway.

As regards the actual box set, well I can confirm that all the extras from the previous individual releases are all accounted for, so this is the most economical way to buy the complete Gavin & Stacey collection, IF you have so far managed to resit buying the individual series 1 and 2 sets, and the 2008 Christmas special, that is. If you have been buying those, then you're best off buying the standalone season 3 set...as this contains nothing you will miss purchasing it that way. However, it is a pleasure to own the lot in one neat box set.

When they call this 'the complete collection', they mean exactly that. Series 3 was the last we will likely see of our two favourite families from Billericay and Barry Island. James Corden and Ruth Jones have said it will have to be a HUGE inspiration for them to make even another special, while another series is definitely out of the picture.

To summarise, it is tidy! And well lush! Just buy it, savour it, and hope that we'll see its like again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Special? It's all Special, 17 Feb. 2010
Eddie (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
I suppose that it's a bit pointless writing a review for this remarkably successful sitcom as if you're thinking of buying it the chances are that you've already seen it and want to watch it again. Still, I think it's worth mentioning that if you are buying completely on spec and are expecting to be helpless with laughter at crude jokes and expletives, the staple of so much comedy these days, then you may well be disappointed.

Not that the series isn't funny of course but I believe that what makes it so good is the subtlety of its humour and its well rounded and likeable characters who are brilliantly observed. The pace, rhythm and timing of the shows is perfect, as is the beautifully written dialogue. There are several poignant moments which may well bring a tear to the eye and it is the inclusion of these which underlines the writing talent of Ruth Jones and James Cordon.

I picked up Gavin and Stacey during the Christmas special and promptly aqcuired series one and two. I found it impossible to let one episode end without watching the next one immediately afterwards and pretty well watched the whole lot back to back.

There are those out there who say that they `don't get it', but let me tell you that there's nothing to get. The show is what it is and I imagine that ultimately its audience will be divided into the categories of either `love it' or `hate it'. The writers have had the good sense to call it a day after the third series which, I felt, was not quite as strong as the previous two. Thoroughly enjoyable and surely a landmark in British television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nessa! You look stunning! I knows - I feels it., 10 Aug. 2010
I didn't watch much of G&S when it was on terrestrial tv in the UK, but I decided to order it as a treat to watch whilst I'm out of the country for a few months. It's been one of the best purchases I've ever made. The writing and acting of the entire series is phenomemal - in one episode you can find black humour, farce, pathos and real characters.
James Corden and Ruth Jones are clearly not only incredibly talented, but they make an outstanding writing partnership - and on screen, they are equally brilliant. Rob Brydon as Uncle Bryn provides moments of cushion-biting hilarity and cringe, and Joanna Page and Mathew Horne make you root for their characters in a way that brings them to life. I've laughed myself silly, and cried my eyes out watching this show. The supporting characters are exceptional actors in their own right, and no one hogs the limelight. This is observational comedy at its finest.

The extras on this box set are also very good - particularly the interviews with James Corden and Ruth Jones, which show that they write from the heart - and the funny bone.

Can't recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drivin' home for Christmas, 18 Oct. 2011
Oh! Oh! I'll tell you what's occurrin, it's that you need to stop dicking about and buy this set. It's immense. And I don't just mean Gavin and my best mate, Stace, there's Gwen the Omelette, Dave Coaches, Doris the Gentlemen's Delight, Mick the Ladies' Delight, Pamela, Uncle Bryn and Jason (I'm passing no remarks about the fishing trip, so let it go), it's got Budgie, Dirtbox, Fingers, Chinese Alan, Dawn and Pete, big fat Sue and Japanese Margaret. Fair play, most of them you want to stay away from, if truth be told. Think of it as a price you gotta pay to get to me and Smithy. No, we're not compatible, if that's what's on your mind. I needed a break from John Prescott, alright? And they both likes their pies, as it goes - what's your point? As I said to Jagger when I worked as security on their last world tour, I'm a bit more than an attractive woman, Mick. I fought the good fight wherever I found it, and you don't want to hear about some of the places I found it. I takes comfort from that, always has, always will. Now get your hand off my frontal areas and be on your way. Fair dos, he did as he was told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking; Lush, 15 Jan. 2011
I somehow managed to miss the first two series of Gavin & Stacey on television but so enjoyed series three I decided to buy the full set. It's brilliant and was a huge hit in our household over Christmas when we wallowed in back to back episodes.
Gavin & Stacey fall in love when they meet after talking on the phone at work for months. Unfortunately she lives in Wales and he is in Essex which necessitates a great deal of travelling to and fro. They both have a wonderful, idiosyncratic collection of family and friends. Ness, played by Ruth Jones who co-wrote this wonderful series with James Corden who plays Smithy, was my favourite character - she's brilliant. The shows are laugh-out-loud funny but there are also lump-in-the-throat moments. The characters are all so engaging and seem so nice you want them to find their way to happiness.
Much as I'd love to see more, I think the writers have made the right decision to end where they did. This is a British comedy at its very best and we'll be watching these episodes again and again.
Reviewed by Mary Smith No More Mulberries

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant comedy from start to finish, 20 Jun. 2012
I loved "Gavin & Stacey" from start to finish.

It is the story of the culture clash that occurs when a boy from Essex (Gavin) and a girl from South Wales (Stacey)fall in love. While things don't always run smoothly for the couple they are generally the sanest and steadiest characters in the show.
Around them swirls the hilarious antics of Pamela-Gavin's Mum, Bryn-Stacey's Uncle, Nessa-Stacey's best friend and Smithy- Gavin's best friend.

Kudos must go to the show's writers, James Corden and Ruth Jones(they also play Smithy and Nessa). They achieve a perfect mix of outright hilarity with occasional sadness.

Special credit in the acting stakes must go to Alison Steadman as Pamela and Rob Brydon as Bryn. In the wrong hands these "eccentric" characters" might have semed as ridiculous but instead they are endearing.

It was probably a good idea to finish the programme after three series as it is hard to maintain the high quality of writing but a big thanks for all the laughs we got from the series that were made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smithy and Nessa!, 6 April 2010
I didn't watch the programme on TV, in fact I watch few TV shows, but I saw one brief scene with Nessa and Stacey a few weeks ago and thought the script was incredible. I ordered the boxed set while I was off sick with the 'flu and when I was feeling better watched all the DVDs one after another over a couple of days from the comfort of my sofa - when I had seen them all I watched the Extras.

I found it brilliant and love the characters of Smithy and Nessa more than Gavin and Stacey but the rest of the cast were all fabulous too.......so when I'd seen everything I went back to the beginning and watched them all again. Thank goodness for DVDs - now I can watch whenever I want to. Highly recommended and much as I'd like to see more of the adventures in Billericay and Barry Island I think James Cordern and Ruth Jones have been sensible to call a halt instead of writing series after series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD] [2007], 8 Sept. 2010
Peter Rowe (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This is a box set must have! I guarantee once you have watched it through, you could quite easily go back to disc 1 and start again!
All the characters are complete gems in their own right, from Uncle Bryn thru to Staceys' insatiable neighbour Doris. Larry Lamb (Gavins dad, Mick) is a revelation, being such a likeable character, far removed from his alter ego, Archie, in Eastenders.
The writing, acting, humour and storylines are deserved award winners, being one of the best sit-coms since the likes of Fawlty Towers. There is something for all the family there, with some of the "over 18" stuff being so subtle, it would pass over youngsters heads, but making us chuckle at the same time.
Cordon and Jones have written a masterpiece here, that will go down as British comedy Gold!
Get yourself a set,,, it's well lush!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Move to Barry its so lush., 5 Jan. 2012
J Bate (Hartlepool) - See all my reviews
I know there is always a few tv series I feel I can turn to for comfort, and this is certainly one of them. From the word go it bring s laughter non stop, with the story not really being only about Gavin and Stacey, but the journey Smithy and Nessa go on as well throughout the three series and christmas special. The series starts of strong, relying on the continuing storyline of the run up to the wedding to give each episode a reason, until the big day finnally arrives. Series two picks up just after the honeymoon and obviously is meant to further the characters. The big event that everyone is looking forward to is the birth of Nessa and Smithys Baby which again happens at the end of the series. Other than the odd ultrasound scna there isnt really a "Thing" happening in each episode which brigns out more normal situations such as arguments and break ups, like the episode they go bowling and look at potential flats. It is clear that Series 2 is showing that the "Honeymoon period" is over and that the real world is what the couple must now face. Another key element is Staceys longing for home, as she is now living in Essex and feeling increasingly lonely. The final episode is one of the best of the entire show as the baby is born and everyone becomes closer still. The Christmas speical doesnt seem to further any of the characters anymore and doesnt do much to the overall plot except show us the characters in a christmas surrounding. It is announced by the couple that they ar eboth moving back to Wales for Gavins new job in Cardiff. This sets the scene for Series 3. The third and final series is by far the weakest, with some of the episodes being absolutely pointless and just a "What if this happened" scenario in each, but the big event is the wedding Of Nessa and Dave, and whether Smithy has feelings for Nessa, and the fact that Gavin and Stacey might not be able to have children. There isnt much character development or a development of relatonships between characters but One thing that must be considered however when further developing the relationship between Smithy and Nessa and how they feel about each other is that so much is unknown about ness which means she is difficult to place, or at least thats how I see it.
So that is it on a whole, but the series isnt just a romantic comedy because the welsh characters bring some unique bizzare charm to is as well, with sayings, and humour that is supposedly only known to them. There is also a special episode planned for next year but I will have to replace my boxset with the newer one no doubt. I do think the show has ran its course and they were right not to make an immediate fourth series or consecutive specials, but I'd welcome a new special as we are a few years down the line which could open up some new stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very Best of British Comedy, 3 Feb. 2010
Mr. D. Peters - See all my reviews
At the age of 63 years I was beginning to think that truly great british comedy was a thing of the past. Gavin & Stacey proves that we have the talent to create unforgettable laughter. Great in every way.Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD] [2007]

Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD]