5.0 out of 5 stars Immense!
I'll tell you what, Gwen, this omelette...erm, no....that's not right. Start again. This boxset is immense!:)

Published on 9 Dec 2009 by Bertie Buggerington

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy watching
I'm watching them doing my daily gym. Not very deep and a bit corny in my opinion but okay if you just expect something light and easy to watch.
Published 8 months ago by V.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense!, 9 Dec 2009
This review is from: Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD] (DVD)

All three series, and the 2008 Christmas special, of the best, wittiest, most charming and romantic British sitcom ever made (in my humble opinion). Six million viewers can't be wrong. It is totally deserving of the awards and nominations it has picked up along the way, not limited to TWO Baftas (Audience Award and Best Comedy Performance for James Corden). So often a show can find itself overrated and over-hyped, but I honestly don't think Gavin & Stacey has been. Not one bit. I think it is all they say it is...and more.

For me the comedy comes from those around the two leads. Gavin and Stacey are very much foils for the crazy and lovable friends and families who provide the comedic elements. Rob Brydon's 'Uncle Bryn', Stacey's uncle, is just so funny it is untrue. While James Corden's 'Smithy', Gavin's best mate, is also hilarious. The dry 'Nessa', Stacey's best friend (played by Corden's co-writer Rush Jones) has to be seen to be believed. However, all the characters are funny...and I feel awful singling anyone out for individual credit. I'm struggling to find the words to describe in what way these characters are funny....I simply can't. It just has to be experienced. All I can say is that like 'The Royle Family', a lot of the comedy comes from mundane, every day conversations. And although it can be saucy and racy, I honestly can't remember a single expletive being uttered throughout the series. Certainly not the bad swear words anyway.

As regards the actual box set, well I can confirm that all the extras from the previous individual releases are all accounted for, so this is the most economical way to buy the complete Gavin & Stacey collection, IF you have so far managed to resit buying the individual series 1 and 2 sets, and the 2008 Christmas special, that is. If you have been buying those, then you're best off buying the standalone season 3 set...as this contains nothing you will miss purchasing it that way. However, it is a pleasure to own the lot in one neat box set.

When they call this 'the complete collection', they mean exactly that. Series 3 was the last we will likely see of our two favourite families from Billericay and Barry Island. James Corden and Ruth Jones have said it will have to be a HUGE inspiration for them to make even another special, while another series is definitely out of the picture.

To summarise, it is tidy! And well lush! Just buy it, savour it, and hope that we'll see its like again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Special? It's all Special, 17 Feb 2010
Eddie (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
I suppose that it's a bit pointless writing a review for this remarkably successful sitcom as if you're thinking of buying it the chances are that you've already seen it and want to watch it again. Still, I think it's worth mentioning that if you are buying completely on spec and are expecting to be helpless with laughter at crude jokes and expletives, the staple of so much comedy these days, then you may well be disappointed.

Not that the series isn't funny of course but I believe that what makes it so good is the subtlety of its humour and its well rounded and likeable characters who are brilliantly observed. The pace, rhythm and timing of the shows is perfect, as is the beautifully written dialogue. There are several poignant moments which may well bring a tear to the eye and it is the inclusion of these which underlines the writing talent of Ruth Jones and James Cordon.

I picked up Gavin and Stacey during the Christmas special and promptly aqcuired series one and two. I found it impossible to let one episode end without watching the next one immediately afterwards and pretty well watched the whole lot back to back.

There are those out there who say that they `don't get it', but let me tell you that there's nothing to get. The show is what it is and I imagine that ultimately its audience will be divided into the categories of either `love it' or `hate it'. The writers have had the good sense to call it a day after the third series which, I felt, was not quite as strong as the previous two. Thoroughly enjoyable and surely a landmark in British television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nessa! You look stunning! I knows - I feels it., 10 Aug 2010
I didn't watch much of G&S when it was on terrestrial tv in the UK, but I decided to order it as a treat to watch whilst I'm out of the country for a few months. It's been one of the best purchases I've ever made. The writing and acting of the entire series is phenomemal - in one episode you can find black humour, farce, pathos and real characters.
James Corden and Ruth Jones are clearly not only incredibly talented, but they make an outstanding writing partnership - and on screen, they are equally brilliant. Rob Brydon as Uncle Bryn provides moments of cushion-biting hilarity and cringe, and Joanna Page and Mathew Horne make you root for their characters in a way that brings them to life. I've laughed myself silly, and cried my eyes out watching this show. The supporting characters are exceptional actors in their own right, and no one hogs the limelight. This is observational comedy at its finest.

The extras on this box set are also very good - particularly the interviews with James Corden and Ruth Jones, which show that they write from the heart - and the funny bone.

Can't recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smithy and Nessa!, 6 April 2010
I didn't watch the programme on TV, in fact I watch few TV shows, but I saw one brief scene with Nessa and Stacey a few weeks ago and thought the script was incredible. I ordered the boxed set while I was off sick with the 'flu and when I was feeling better watched all the DVDs one after another over a couple of days from the comfort of my sofa - when I had seen them all I watched the Extras.

I found it brilliant and love the characters of Smithy and Nessa more than Gavin and Stacey but the rest of the cast were all fabulous too.......so when I'd seen everything I went back to the beginning and watched them all again. Thank goodness for DVDs - now I can watch whenever I want to. Highly recommended and much as I'd like to see more of the adventures in Billericay and Barry Island I think James Cordern and Ruth Jones have been sensible to call a halt instead of writing series after series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jan 2011
This programme is brilliant! So so funny, I would watch it over and over again, a must have for any comedy fan!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gavin & Stacey Series 1-3, 4 Jan 2011
excellent viewing one to watch & then watch again.This can not be the end of what could go on for years & go down as a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars I c, 21 Sep 2010
I can not believe I missed this on TV. Its fabulous! We watched the entire box set in a week and loved every minute. Not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy., 14 Sep 2010
I had never seen the series but had heard great reviews. Finally got around to buying the complete series and it was such great value for money. Loved it! Total Gavin and Stacey fan. Just wish there were more to watch. Have bought another for a xmas gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars The very Best of British Comedy, 3 Feb 2010
Mr. D. Peters - See all my reviews
At the age of 63 years I was beginning to think that truly great british comedy was a thing of the past. Gavin & Stacey proves that we have the talent to create unforgettable laughter. Great in every way.Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD] [2007]

5.0 out of 5 stars English/Welsh commedy at its best, 10 April 2010
I guess everyone now knows all about Gavin from Billaricay, Essex and Stacey from Barry, Wales, who have a long-distance courtship on the phone, before meeting, falling in love and managing to somehow survive the "ever-after". It's such completely brilliant English commedy. The characters are beautifully developed, the storyline is fast and fun and the romance, well, it's perfect. Buy the box set and enjoy.

Gavin And Stacey - Series 1-3 And 2008 Christmas Special [DVD]