5.0 out of 5 stars Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do...
Published on 3 Jan 2010 by rik wharfe

2.0 out of 5 stars sad to say...
now maybe im just not intellectual enough, or i just dont get it but (although it seems that this opinion may be unpopular)it seems to me that brand new are now too grown up and clever to include melody and structure to their songs.

I've been a big fan of the band since YFW and the releases have got progressivly less consistent each time.

YFW,...
Published on 19 Feb 2010 by Joseph Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do..., 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
Pausing for thought, it would be a marvel if, audibly and lyrically, Daisy topped the towering achievements of the previous two albums `Déjà Entendu' and `The Devil and God are raging inside me'; It doesn't. Yet this does not mean it is worse, it is very different. On the back of the band's sheer commitment to maintaining an individual sound, their willingness to experiment and their resolve towards hard work it would be easy to fall in to the trap of spilling out grandiose endorsements on merit. So I will judge the album as it should be judged: as a completely new offering by the band.

Don't get me wrong there will be elements of bias in this opinion as Brand New are seemingly committed to their music they produce and have hitherto avoided the tyranny of success induced banality that has overcome many an innovative band. And let's face it this makes the band extremely flippin' likeable. It is hard not to feel committed and connected to them.
From its first listen (and I have listened to it complete six or seven times now) It comes across as a musical sketchbook. It is as if over the past few years the band has been jotting down ideas and snippets; the culmination of which is a melange of different ideas turned into a new record. It is a `best of' the bits we missed out or had forgotten about.

There is no obvious direction to the album. This believe it or not, is its charm. True it is not as instantly accessible as its predecessor which off the top of my head bears similarity in relationship to Weezer's Blue album and Pinkerton. I found far more longevity in Pinkerton even though it was overshadowed and can see Daisy following suit.

A reason behind this longevity may be that Daisy feels as if it had been written by the band for the band. There is no air of pressure or constraint which seemed to permeate the previous record. Yes...'The Devil and God...' is exceptional. It is brilliant. But it came from a band writing songs to be liked rather than writing songs for themselves, and this is no criticism but merely an observation. Brand New's current selfishness (and do not let this word become misconstrued) has paid off.

The songs do finish prematurely and feel slightly unfinished but this again lends itself to the album pertaining to a scrapbook of ideas. It is raw and bedraggled. It feels expressive and hits home a lot harder than anything they have offered previous. Ultimately there is a wealth of auditory goodness on this album. `Gasoline' is a belter and it stands up there with the best Brand New have produced. `Out of the jar' is as contemplative as it is ferocious. I keep re-visiting `Bed' (no pun intended) it has a tentative, alluring quality, a song that tantalises whilst never fully reaching its climax. The intro and outro I am led to believe is a classic Gospel song called `On life's highway' by Bertrand Brown, which unfortunately needs to be appreciated on an intellectual level as something intra-personal to Jesse; I love the idea of incorporating esoteric and unusual sounds but there would need to be more of it for the intro and outro to stand on their own in their own right, as it happens they seem slightly out of place.

Essentially Daisy's beauty and attraction is something set to slow release, it is a grower; it is an album that will present itself to you slowly. You will grow to love it and all of its rough edges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daisy... wow, 26 Sep 2009
J. Harris (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
Brand New are my favourite band and so I was super excited about this record. I have to say when I heard it the first time I was a bit disappointed... but it grew on me and by the third play I was totally hooked!

If you've never heard Brand New before, I'd advise starting at the beginning so you can see just what a transformation they've gone through. They truly live up to their name - every album from them is from a completely new perspective and, if you compare this to Your Favorite Weapon, a new genre. They have grown up enormously - there are no awkward love stories here, no adolescent anecdotes. It's a dark, deep, melancholy, exhausting record and it just hits you that much harder.

The music itself has become more screamy, but the motif of the old-fashioned female singer undercuts this and keeps their songs from being samey. The first track - Vices - is a fantastic way to begin because it is so refreshing and different to their previous stuff - it really makes you think twice. My favourite songs at the moment are Daisy, Sink and Noro.

It's not a question of if you buy it, it's when. Brand New fans - you won't be disappointed. Prospective listeners - you need this band in your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brand New- Daisy, 5 Dec 2009
Sarah (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
After three years since the release of their last album, The Devil and, God Are Raging Inside Me, Daisy is Brand New's eagerly anticipated fourth album, and, as a dedicated Brand New fan since Your Favourite Weapon, I believe that Daisy does not fail to deliver!
You will either fall in love with Daisy instantly, appreciating every ounce of detail Brand New have put into it, or it will gradually grow on you.
This album is a beautiful follow up from The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, sit down and take the time to listen to Daisy properly, it finishes the same way it begins, kind of like you've listened to a story, in an elegant, idiosyncratic Brand New style.

If you're new to Brand New, this isn't the ideal first album that you should listen to, try Deja Entendu first.
Otherwise, Brand New fans will love this album, or at least appreciate the style the band have chosen to continue with.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Daisy., 8 Oct 2009
E. Moffatt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
As a big Brand New fan my anticipation for this release was undeniable, from the moment I heard/saw `Gasoline' and `Bought a Bride' performed live I knew that my expectations would be met with `Daisy' and that (as most Brand New albums are) it would be a step in a new direction.
What I love about this release is that it challenges me as a Brand New fan, there are moments when it is difficult to listen to the album and to appreciate it, you NEED to listen to it through from `Vices' to `Noro'. This isn't like `The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me' where single songs stand alone well and seem to dominate the album. With `Daisy' it is the collective album that works so well and (in my extremely biased opinion) is a masterpiece and it needs to be listened to as a whole to be appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Epic and all round GREATNESS!, 25 Oct 2009
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
This is one of the most amazing album's I've come across in the past few years. Jesse Lacey and team have once again created a materpiece to be proud of, full of creative riffs and spine tingling lyrics. Jesse's voice captures you and transports you to a totally different world in which raw emotion and feeling are all that matter. 'At The Bottom' is definitely the most capturing song on this album, followed closely by 'Gasoline'. You'd be a fool not to buy this, as Brand New have once again delivered true musical greatness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daisy, 13 Oct 2009
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
Brand new keep suprising with every new album, You wouldn't know this was the same band that brought you 'your favourite weapon' back in 2001, the progression and growth in the band is explicit. Despite this, Daisy is an amazing album, and the best I've heard all year. Stand out tracks include You Stole, Noro and opener, Vices. But it's definetly worth listening to the whole album. This is the darkest stuff brand new have ever brought us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Daisy (Dli) (Ogv) [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Arrived in great condition, and is about the only Brand New vinyl I can find for a reasonable price. Cool album artwork.

5.0 out of 5 stars Less Catchy, more Layered, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
I love Brand New, and I'm glad that this album is still as good as I would expect from them. It's a lot less 'catchy' than "The Devil and the God..." and "Deja Entendu", but that's mostly due to the layers in each track. They all take multiple listens to even begin to be understood (and a few Google searches for the exact lyrics), but that doesn't stop them from sounding brilliant. My favorite tracks hands-down is "Gasoline".

5.0 out of 5 stars Daisy confirmed my love for Brand New, 22 July 2012
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
I understand why there is such a mixed review for this album. This album personally is my favourite. The lyrics, the music it fits with my mind. The album speaks to me just like The Devil and God. I will admit that I did not fall in love with this album instantly like I did with the others but the more I listened to it the more I understood and the more it has become an important part in my life.

It does sadden me when some bands mature and change their style and it is nothing like their previous stuff. But if Brand New did not progress from YFW I would not love them as much as I do now.
This album is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps getting better!!!!, 23 Sep 2009
T. Hutchings - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
As one of the many die hard fans that have followed the band since ' Your Favourite Weapon' it is always nerve racking waiting for a new album praying not to be disappointed. Yet again Brand New have blown any doubt clearly out of the water as yet again have produce an amazingly original album. It, like the last album, has taken a darker route which only emphasise the lyrical skill this band have always possessed. Gasoline is one of my personal favourites and I cannot wait to hear the whole album live like many fans Im sure. You will not be disappointed....I promise!

Daisy
Daisy by Brand New (Audio CD - 2009)