5.0 out of 5 stars You need one of these
Amazing hard drive. It is really good.

Size: Wow it is tiny. I expected it to be small but not nearly as small as it actually is. Added bonus.

Space: What can I say. 1TB. More space then you'll ever need for a portable.

Speed: Transfer speeds are good.

Cable: Really secure and tight. No fear of that pulling out accidentally...
Published on 8 Jan. 2010 by Paul S

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable
Published on 4 Jan. 2010 by John Doe

5.0 out of 5 stars You need one of these, 8 Jan. 2010
Paul S (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Western Digital My Passport Essential 1TB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
Amazing hard drive. It is really good.

Space: What can I say. 1TB. More space then you'll ever need for a portable.

Speed: Transfer speeds are good.

Cable: Really secure and tight. No fear of that pulling out accidentally. From what I've heard it is a different cable then originally supplied with these drives which solves the problem of it being loose.

Encryption: I don't use this because it isn't cross platform supported but if you are just using it for windows then it is good. You can use the drive also on other computers without the need to install the software which is good.

Smartware: I am not using this drive as a backup drive so with a simple update I was able to disable the Virtual CD thing used for installation and decryption of the drive. It is now just like a normal blank drive.

Overall very happy with the device. Well worth the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 1TB drive, 21 Jan. 2010
Mr. Sw Hain "Sam Hain" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I really like this product; it is nice looking and small (slightly smaller than the previous design although a little chunkier - I have an older "Passport" drive too). It includes automatic backup software if you wish to use that - but you don't have to install it. Also, with 1TB capacity and good transfer rates it is ideal for storing photos, videos, and all your data files. I'd highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Excellent!!, 5 Dec. 2009
C. Pollock (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I felt compelled to write a review for a change as I came so close to not buying this excellent piece of kit after reading some of the harsh reviews it has received!

I'll try and address the negative parts of other reviews first -

The cable - yes it's a different connector and whilst maybe a little harder to get a hold of, but how often do you actually need to replace a cable?

The cable connection - maybe I have been very lucky, but I cannot find a single thing wrong with it, I was sitting transferring files for 8 hours last night, moving the unit with me and my laptop...and not one disconnection!!

The SmartWare - granted...it's a system hog alright!! How do you get round this? Don't run it! (Or go to task manager and kill it...it takes 2 seconds!!)

Now for the real negative - the cover!!! Argghhh...the finger prints!!! (Yep, this is as far as the negatives go!)

Well, while I write this, the vibrations through the drive are actually quite loud - much louder and more obvious than my previous 320GB passport...but still not enough to make it annoying, I'm just being picky to try and give a realistic review.

The good:

The capacity...1TB (well, 930GB in actual fact - and whilst I really resent the fact that this can be advertised as 1TB, everyone does it so I can't really mark down this drive or WD for this!)

The security - Finally a drive that keeps your files secure!!

The look - It's pretty stylish (even with the fingerprints!)

The size - Slightly smaller than the older style passports, definitely a little more pocket-sized now.

Would I buy this again, absolutely. It's quite expensive, but if you have the have the cash and you want a very good drive, buy this one. I'm glad I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 4 Jan. 2010
I have bought may western digital passport drives and been extremely happy with them. However on this occasion I wished I hadnt bought one. For some unbelievable reason they have added the WD Smart Disc and hard coded it into the ROM. You cant delete it, it just takes up space and the hard Drive will not behave like a typical plug and play hard drive until this software is disabled. All in all its a pain and I wont be buying another one until they supply them without this technology. WD now supply a fix to disable it but it doesn't regain the used space and it still pops up when used on other computers. If you have a MAC and use a VM you need to disable it on both platforms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge storage capability, 9 Jan. 2010
I have used a number of Western Digital pocket USB hard disks before, but this has to be the best so far. Enormous storage capacity, and lower power consumption than ever before. This is the first USB hard disk that works with the USB ports on my desktop without needing an external PSU (yes, my ports are current limited). Can't wait for the 2Tb version which will no doubt appear sometime in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars cautious when using, 11 Jan. 2010
Hi to everyone and happy new year,

AMAZON REVIEW
Thank you to Amazon great company true to thier word,fast and effiecnt really impressed with them as always.

PERSONAL PREFERNCE
Right, down to the product review ... read some of the reviews before I purchased the product although cautious i was looking for something with a large capaity and small for travel, this product fits the bill to the dot and being a leading name in this market.

USING THE PRODUCT
Some reviews spoke about the usb and mirco usb cable not fitting well and being a hard cable to replace if misplaced or damaged in future. I found my product to have a tight good fit(in both mirco-usb & usb) and doing a general search in google found the cable in many different shops for a reasonable price.
When connectining to xp pro i did not use the software that came with it ... the only problem with that is you can't use the password proctected program either, Will read some more into the software before installing it later in the future. But as a drag a drop method it works like a treat very fast. obviously its will be fargile as any other type of technogoly that uses moving parts... so not for your trantrum throwing child lol but strudy enough for sensible use. Would reccommend a hard shell case... would buy the wd product first, measure the dimensions and find appropriate case, thats what i did and works a treat than trusting someone elses dimensions. Thanks again Amazon. i hope this product has a long product life thats all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Western digital software rubbish, 22 Nov. 2010
I had a previous western digital which was simple plug and play software thats all i wanted but bigger storage however this comes with its own pre-installed software which is rubbish and can't be removed so i would avoid if you just want simple storahe

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Thumbs Up, 7 Jan. 2010
Iain (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Amazing capacity in such a light and portable device. I did have some reservations reading some other reviews. In response I've had no problems whatsoever other than it is a fingerprint magnet.

The proprietary micro USB type connection is actually an improvement imho. I've other devices where the micro USB connection has loosened significantly over time. The WD cable fits in far more snuggly and there's no play at all. I move the drive all the time as my poorly designed VAIO has USB ports in front of the DVD drive, never had a drive disconnection.

Mine seems to be noiseless and never noticed any vibration from it at all even during sustained data copies. I've even found the WD SmartWare isn't too resource hungry though I wouldn't miss it to be honest.

The only other point to note is that this must pull pretty near 500mA so won't work off a un-powered USB hub when another device is plugged in. Most laptops these days power the USB ports separately so you will get 500mA on each, certainly my Dell and Sony do, so mine's plugged in directly, with a wireless mouse receiver and my phone.

All in all, great piece of kit, if you're moving this around make sure to invest in a case too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disconnects impossibly often, 19 Feb. 2010
Mr. J. W. Huskisson "JH" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
There's one thing this drive is good for: storage. Other than that, it's awful. I bought this to use on the train, at work, at home. Now I've found unless my laptop and the drive are so static neither are being touched it's impossible to use.

The cable comes out and the drive disconnects every time even a small movement of either side of the cable is registered. Utterly ridiculous.

4.0 out of 5 stars I nearly returned it, 30 Jan. 2010
This product was not being recognised by my laptop during my first few tries. I tried attaching it to other Vista laptops but it still wasn't recognised. There was a churning sound whenever I attach it to a laptop so I thought maybe I needed to download the driver or something. But of course we know that Vista supposedly has the driver installed for this already. After doing research and several attempts to make the product work, I gave up and nearly returned it.
Then I tried using my mobile phone cable and it worked! Apparently, the micro usb cable included with the product was not fitted well. Transferring files takes too long but maybe because my mobile phone cable is a bit long?
On a brighter note, I just need extra storage for my files and 1TB is more than enough for the moment. My main reason for buying this was the storage capacity and the fact that it's very handy. I am not quite sure now but when I purchased this no other brand has manufactured a plug and play 1TB external hard drive. Good job to WD!