Format: DVD|Change

on 29 June 2009
Great collection of history about our UK monarchy. It has features of Alfred the great, Canute, Edward the Confessor, right up to our own Windsor monarchy, also the DVD of Henry Vlll & Elizabeth l is great to watch, I would highly recommend this for any student who is into history & taking GCSE courses in this matter.David Starkey explains this so well & makes history come alive.I love watching this with my son about our colourful passed UK history. I would also recommend this seller.
on 3 November 2011
David Starkey is as usual very easy to listen to. There is nothing new in this boxed set but I had hoped for a bit more detail.
"Monarchy" starts with tribal chieftains & ends with Queen Victoria, too long a span to do justice to any particular ruler."The six wives of Henry the eighth" had more depth & "Elizabeth" was ok also.
If you're new to British history this set is a good starting point.At the very low price on Amazon it is worth the money for pure entertainment.
on 3 January 2014
Being just a foreigner with only rudimentary knowledge of the English history, I would not dare to write about the nicety of the historical content. But I am glad to have the opportunity to express my admiration for the succint and down-to earth presentation. Mr. Starkey speaks very clearly and thus he is easy to follow. Besides, the series is additionaly equipped with subtitles. Excellent lecture! I believe Mr. Starkey helped me to imporve my knowledge considerably. Thank you!
on 22 May 2011
Basically I am not interested in history so much, however wanted to get an overview about UK's one.
I expected easy understandable information hence my poor English.
I am happy with Starkeys's collection. I got what I wanted and would recommend to others who has little time but looking for the recent England's historical background.
In the other hand I appreciate Amazon's website, supported me to find the best in the wide range of selection.
Well done.
on 24 October 2013
David Starkey takes us on a journey with this box set, from the beginning of the monarchy to the present day. His episodes are easy to follow and to understand the complicated history of Britain's royalty, as well as adding subtle humour along the way. The box set includes the three monarchy series, the Elizabeth series, and a series on Henry VIIIs six wives. I recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about history.
on 18 December 2010
A superb series on the British monarchy, narrated by the inimitable David Starkey. Starkey has a great ability to present history in an accurate, but entertaining fashion, without resorting to the sensationalism of some other TV historical series. Well worth having as a reference work, and interesting enough to watch many times.
on 22 June 2010
A very in-depth analysis of the history of England starting with the Anglo-Saxons. Too bad it does not go all the way back to the early Britons & Druids (covering the period of Stonehenge). A fascinating & informative overview. Mr. Starkey does allow himself a little bit of drama here & there "William the Conqueror changed the course of British history forever!" but overall an enjoyable documentary.
on 30 May 2013
As usual David starkey gives an interesting and informative journey threw history. If he'd been my teacher in school I definitely would have gotten an A. Every story told in perfect detail. History actually brought to life. Fascinating DVDs and well worth the money. Can also highly recommend his books on Henry the eighth and Elizabeth.
on 10 July 2011
only a short comment really , I just want to say that I personal really enjoyed this series, it gave you a great and very interesting insight in to the formation of the history and the simple basis of why thing are how they are in the constutional ways they are .also it to tort me a lot about the country that I live in (great Britain) , even if your not from Britain , I would still recommed it , as a great source of historical information , about the nation that formed in many ways the world that we live in today .
on 21 October 2012
An entertaining, informative and absorbing presentation. A must see for all who wish to have a fuller appreciation of the country's evolvement under the Monarchs who have ruled England over the centuries. David Starkey makes education thoroughly enjoyable.